Home U.S. Coin Forum

American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coin (18EK) (Sold out...)

Comments

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Gold 1238.60 / 1239.60

Palladium 1205.00 / 1220.00

Look out Gold ! Youre about to be left in a cloud of dust. 🤑

The new Lead ? Platinum seems to be out of favor lately.

Platinum 804.00 / 809.00

Rhodium at 3X Platinum ... how sad

Rhodium 2430.00 / 2580.00

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2018 9:57AM

I try not to exceed a certain % in silver, or in platinum but platinum in particular is attractive (to me) at this level. Platinum is almost a bargain right now. Maybe it's even a slam-dunk. Or something in-between.

Palladium, meh. Platinum has better properties. The current price disparity has to be based on both supply constraints and industrial demand (or lack thereof - for platinum), but I'm of the opinion that the disparity won't last.

I'm assuming that the industrial switchover to palladium happened because of kinks in the supply from Russia & South Africa, and nobody wanted to be vulnerable to major disruptions. Makes some sense, but I'm still not convinced that palladium should be where it is with respect to platinum.

I've read recently that palladium is scarcer than platinum. Is that true?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, that has always been the case and what held its price down for many years - there was not the critical mass available to put into manufacturing.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

A pretty good jump today + $34
    Stock drop might have helped

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Critical mass... This and last year was 15,000 toz each for the US Mint. More demand to add to the critical mass is the mint’s plan on bullion and RPs for next year. Quantity unknown but still a demand on the supply.

Another jump today. Closed +$16 and first close over $1,200.

Stock slippage this week has to be part of PM upticks as all but Rhodium show gains.

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

the bay yu87 has raw 2018s at $2000 - 2050> @Kudbegud said:

Just to keep this thread going

New record closing for Palladium today

$1,174 Bid
    $1,189 Ask

running great ,,,new high

@Kudbegud said:

Stock slippage this week has to be part of PM upticks as all but Rhodium show gains.

If the mint was to sell the Palladium coin now it would cost $1637.50. The initial issue price was $1387.50.

@Hemispherical said:

@Kudbegud said:

If the mint was to sell the Palladium coin now it would cost $1637.50. The initial issue price was $1387.50.

Lets hope for a pull back just before they get released next year.

Up once again today. Close up $18. I'll keep reporting record closings.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geeze. I won't be able to afford the raw ones next year at this rate.

edited December 12, 2018 3:17PM

Another day, another record close. +$15 today. Almost half way to $1,300. Will it cross this milestone price?

edited December 12, 2018 4:09PM

It can run as high as it wants but needs to take a major dive before the 2019 release... I hope. :o

A BIG jump today.

$33 to $1,287. Could it go over $1,300 soon?

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

A BIG jump today.

$33 to $1,287. Could it go over $1,300 soon?

;););)B)B)B) very nice ,,, imagine the posters saying it was going to $800 ,,,ha ha

Just hoping it has a 1 week drop before the 2019 RP Palladium goes on sale

Closed yesterday and again today at Bid $1,311. Ask today was $1,336. It broke the $1,300 level for the first time. Will it keep going to $1,400?

Mixed feelings... yes, want it to go up, but...

A big jump today

Palladium up $41.00 bid to $1,343, ask $1,368. A 3.15% gain

edited January 17, 2019 3:31PM

Add another $34. +2.53% That's $75 in 2 days. Just $10 shy of the original Mint offering price of $1,387
    Ask goes over $1,400 for the first time.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, and Platinum is languishing at $800. I would think platinum would start moving up as a "cheap" alternative to palladium since the opposite was true a few years ago!

• I have 1 sealed American Eagle 2018 One oz. Palladium Proof Coin and I want to get first strike designation -- is it still possible at this time? I heard we can provide proof with order invoice still be able to get it grade with first strike designation.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leo38cheng said:
    I have 1 sealed American Eagle 2018 One oz. Palladium Proof Coin and I want to get first strike designation -- is it still possible at this time? I heard we can provide proof with order invoice still be able to get it grade with first strike designation.

It might be possible you should ask the host. You never know and if you never ask well then it will not be possible. I made a similar statement and the host responded to me to ask, but I never did.

@leo38cheng - Check here for all you need to know about First Strike.
    https://pcgs.com/firststrike/

• Thanks @Gluggo @Kudbegud --- Is there a host on this forum we can talk to? I remember reading somewhere -- as long as the package is still sealed and we have order invoice -- that the coin can still be graded with a first strike / first release designation.

Thanks!

BTW -- what is the going price for this nowadays? Sealed in Mint Box.

edited February 7, 2019 10:00AM

CS (Customer Service) is almost always accurate.

An original sealed box from the mint shipped before the FS cutoff date is eligible for for FS designation for ever (or the end of the world as we know it....which ever happens first)

Palladium set a new record high today. Stopped just short of the $1,400 threshold.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leo38cheng said:
    I have 1 sealed American Eagle 2018 One oz. Palladium Proof Coin and I want to get first strike designation -- is it still possible at this time? I heard we can provide proof with order invoice still be able to get it grade with first strike designation.

If the box is unopened and mint sealed with a shipping date within the 1st 30 days of release if you ship the unopened box to PCGS you will qualify for 1st Strike Label.

GrandAm :)
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leo38cheng said:
    Thanks @Gluggo @Kudbegud --- Is there a host on this forum we can talk to? I remember reading somewhere -- as long as the package is still sealed and we have order invoice -- that the coin can still be graded with a first strike / first release designation.

Thanks!

BTW -- what is the going price for this nowadays? Sealed in Mint Box.

They are around $1900 to $2000 on eBay

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 6:37AM

I will buy the 2019 palladium coins. and keep only one of each. The 50%+ palladium rally since August has been amazingly strong. China buying, mint blank demand, gasoline engine converter demand, and investor rally chasers.

Notice also every so often there is a very sharp spike down in palladium for a few minutes lately, then up again slower. I think there are some big players setting up to short sell it. For longer term investing I would now rather hold 2 platinum bullion, than one palladium for about the same price. Long PPLT and avoiding PALL.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palladium = 1440.00 Gold = 1315.00.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

This years coins are going to be crazy expensive. Is there still a flip opportunity??

If the mintage is 15,000 or more this will not be great flip, and actual people keeping them is way less than even 10,000 coins IMO. They will be expensive for sure. Depends on when they go on sale?

@AlexinPA said:
    Palladium = 1440.00 Gold = 1315.00.

Palladium and Platinum are both much rarer than gold and much more useful. Gold is a historical novelty and largely cosmetic metal in abundant supply.

@Goldminers said:
    If the mintage is 15,000 or more this will not be great flip, and actual people keeping them is way less than even 10,000 coins IMO. They will be expensive for sure. Depends on when they go on sale?

It the mintage is 15,000 or more, I'm not sure there will be any flip. The price is going to be pushing $2000 as it is. The premium on the 2017 and 2018 coins has been steadily shrinking.

@jwitten said:
    This years coins are going to be crazy expensive. Is there still a flip opportunity??

doubtful depending on mintage and HHL. If they do 15,000 with HHL of 1, you're looking at a price of $1800+ from the mint. How many actual collectors of these are there?

I'm waiting for 10 years when they are under $1000. Palladium price will drop when electric cars become the norm.

With 6+ hours till the close Pd is up $13. Will it hold to break a new record over $1,400?

Yes, US 2019 Palladium coins will be relatively expensive compared to 2017. But will it sink buyers? I remember when these were first going to be a reality. Many here were not enthusiastic for them even being minted or being a one time done and gone.

Now, would you support adding a fractional selection to the mix? Maybe just a ½ oz version?

Is the Mint actually goiing to restrain themselves and limit the mintage to the same 15,000 as last years level? The urge has got to be there to push it to 25,000, maybe even higher. The HH Limit of 1 is here to stay, no doubt about that.

@Kudbegud said:
    With 6+ hours till the close Pd is up $13. Will it hold to break a new record over $1,400?

Yes, US 2019 Palladium coins will be relatively expensive compared to 2017. But will it sink buyers? I remember when these were first going to be a reality. Many here were not enthusiastic for them even being minted or being a one time done and gone.

Now, would you support adding a fractional selection to the mix? Maybe just a ½ oz version?

I'm still not enthusiastic about them other than their being pretty. In the long run, they are bullion. In the long run, platinum and palladium will likely drop in price.

I would love to know how many true collectors there are for these. They are still readily available on the secondary market despite only 15,000 units in existence.

They can add a fractional to the mix. Please see Platinum fractionals for reference.

@FullStrike said:
    Is the Mint actually goiing to restrain themselves and limit the mintage to the same 15,000 as last years level? The urge has got to be there to push it to 25,000, maybe even higher. The HH Limit of 1 is here to stay, no doubt about that.

If the Mint took the limit off both the mintage and the HH, I bet they wouldn't sell 10,000 total.

I will get the reverse proof as it will probably really be a nice looking coin, but pass on the bullion version until palladium price drops a lot, as I think palladium bullion is in a major price bubble at the moment.

I would rather spend the other $1,800 on a really nice looking MS65 St. Gaudens double eagle because they are at historically low prices at the moment.

@Goldminers said:
    I will get the reverse proof as it will probably really be a nice looking coin, but pass on the bullion version until palladium price drops a lot, as I think palladium bullion is in a major price bubble at the moment.

I would rather spend the other $1,800 on a really nice looking MS65 St. Gaudens double eagle because they are at historically low prices at the moment.

Actually, you can get decent 66 Saints for not much more than that. I don't even like gold but I bought a PCGS 66 saint for $2050 about 6 weeks ago.

Although, to be fair, it could be argued that gold is also in a bubble since 2009-ish.

I think the Palladium coin has a nice design, but I don't mind just looking at pictures. LOL. I don't need to own everything....er, anything?

• @Goldminers said:

That’s exactly what I’m doing as well

Well, there it is. Over $1,400. A new record high. Up $16.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know of at least one avid collector of the Palladium Eagles series.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Me too Miles

I know of one collector of holed Bust Halfs...

• batumibatumi Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

jwitten: With all the new-and expensive- precious coins being put out especially since 2006 along with the terrible beating flippers have incurred, I would feel much safer walking in a minefield! My take on these is Patience! If one likes and desires these issues, as I do, waiting will save one thousands of dollars.

• batumibatumi Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

Kudbegud: I would as a sole issue. I believe the first lady fubar could have been successful if it was offered in quarter ouncers rather than half ouncers which tied up over 50 G's in a 'meh' series where imo at least 50% of the issues were really unattractive with the only real winners bailing out in 2009 or 2010.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file