Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coin (18EK) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure that the "site was being choked" as the managed many, many orders in a mere few seconds...Until gone...

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@Gluggo said:
    APMEX started selling their HOT NGC coin @ $3295.00. Too bad its probably a 69 under PCGS grading standards.

https://www.apmex.com/product/152863/2018-w-1-oz-proof-palladium-american-eagle-pf-70-ngc-er

Looks like on ebay…. raw for $2,400... 69s $2600 ngc 70s $2,900 ...my dealer friend got a laugh when I told some forum members sold their coins for $100 over Mint Price ….. because they didn't want to break agreed price with dealers..... He said he wished some of his dealers were that honest
    :p:p:p

I haven't seen anyone selling their coins at $100 over issue on this Board. And God forbid people actually keep their word.

I also see actual SALES of coins on eBay at $2000, not $2400.

https://ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=2018+palladium+proof&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

reads some of the threads ,, they fell again for meager profit selling to dealers

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:
    Looks like the excitement has died down at least until the coins start arriving!

I think it's probably died down pretty much permanently. LOL.

you can tell those who didn't buy the coin

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:
    Looks like the excitement has died down at least until the coins start arriving!

I noticed the same.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

@DeepBlue said:

@CoinCrazyPA said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

I noticed the same.

They need to ttt 'SOLD OUT; anyone care to cry with me' and join the sour grapes club.

There's already a thread for those who missed out and are 😢

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one can miss out on this one all they need to do is open there wallets and dig deep. This is the start let's see where they end up we will know in 30 day's or so. The way I look at it I can buy a gold piece or this for $300 or $400 more with a limit of 15000 or the Gold piece with no limit I'll take my chances with the Palladium.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

If you're talking about me. I bought 2...and sold 2 BEFORE release to someone on this board.

The prices offered on this board ranged from $150 to $200 before the sale. I defy you to find one offer of "$100" that someone took. $200 pre-sale against a current price of $300.

• Options

@CoinCrazyPA said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

I noticed the same.

I think everyone's been pretty straight forward about whether they bought or didn't and whether they are holding or flipping.

I bought 2 to flip because I do not believe in the palladium issues long-term...because...again..."platinum eagles"

But, I could be wrong. And if I am, I don't care, I made my money and have moved on. If I'm right, I also don't care, I made my money and moved on. It would, however, be remiss not to at least try and temper people's enthusiasm before they go "investing" junior's college money in palladium eagles that may be peaking as we speak.

Because of all the flipping, Eagles are in the wrong hands now. That creates an artificial shortage which causes a short term price spike. Unless there are 20,000 long term collectors for these, there is no reason for continued price appreciation. Are there 20,000 long term collectors? I don't know, but I doubt it for a variety of reasons that I've already expressed.

• Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2018 4:33AM

I tried to add to bag 3 times this morning. Nothing went into my cart. Available for 10 seconds?

• Options

@spotthedog said:
    I tried to add to bag 3 times this morning. Nothing went into my cart. Available for 10 seconds?

More like 30 or 45 seconds. Pretty quick. Probably only single digits available.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<>

I can confirm that...a few seconds only. And it wouldn't let you add it to your bag in an account with a previous order for the same coin.

• Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I think it was available for more like less than 5 seconds as my son and were refreshing furiously and both of us got hung up on the "add to bag" button. There might've been one or two coins left to grab? I think its done.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2018 5:42AM

One of my family members, who is not now sure whether he's keeping or selling, got one this morning.

This is the system that he used. It works.

1) I think that on a day like this, where it's only up for a few seconds, that the only ones who will get on are those with one already added into their cart from a prior unsuccessful attempt. The following assumes that one is already in the cart.

2) Set up 3, 4 or more windows in your browser with your account open showing the coin in your cart.

3) In each window go through the entire check-out process up until the point where the only thing left to do is to hit the final confirmation button.

4) If you do this more than a few minutes early while you're waiting, go to each window and scroll up or down so that the account does not time out in that window.

5) Watch the clock on your computer. The literal instant that it hit's 07:30 hit the confirmation button on the first screen. Wait a second to see whether you get an order confirmation or an error message. If the latter immediately go to the next screen and do the same and so on.

It's absolutely not necessary to keep refreshing to see if it's in stock at 07:30 or not.  Doing so is a total waste of time that you don't have.  It will be or it won't.  If not oh well.  If so, in the time that you checked you missed it on a day like this. 

6) My relative got a coin on the third screen today. Thus, as we've seen before, the Mint's 07:30 could be off by just a few seconds from yours so it's important to have multiple screens set up. On a day like yesterday there was just enough time to re-fill in a single screen if the first attempt was unsuccessful. Not today.

7) I put the above out in the spirit of helping my follow forum members and hopefully not a zillion others beyond the forum. Putting this out of course is just more competition for me and mine in future crazy sellout issues. I'm sure that others know and use this as well. The spirit here should be to help each other out. My goal is to put this out for my PCGS forum friends only. Please, in the interest of helping out this PCGS community don't publish it in a broader, more public forum.

8) For those w/o a coin in their basket or on the first day of issue of an issue like this where there's a lot of hype and a super-fast sell out is likely I'd do the above only you have to hit the refresh screen function until the remind me button changes to add to cart. I start hitting the refresh screen constantly at about 11:59:30 EST. Then, you add to cart on the first screen as soon as possible and can refresh latter screens to finish the order process if the first hangs up. It will almost always work. If not due to the sheer volume on the Mint site you'll most certainly have one in your cart for the next day.

It will be interesting to see how many more days there are of this 07:30 frenzy.  I'm surprised that it happened today as I didn't think that the Mint would be working on Sat.  I guess even this is automated for them.   I'd guess they'll be a few tomorrow and that's likely it?

I remember this same type of frenzy with the same thing happening with one of the C&C issues (can't recall exactly which one).  IIRC this 07:30 stuff went on for three days. 

Hope the above is useful for some of you.

If anyone else had any tips for these issues please share. I think that the above works very well.

(Edited to add... I have no idea why two of the paragraphs above looks different from the rest. Must have hit some control unintentionally.)

R

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

Yesterday (Saturday) as someone else claimed the order window was open for an unexpectedly long time, perhaps 5 minutes. Almost long enough for me to complete one order, go upstairs, log in to another device and do a second. I believe I missed the second by seconds since I was on the final confirm screen just as it sold out. For those who completed orders on Friday, any idea how long the order window was open that day?

• Options

Raufus is right about the advantage of already having on in your cart from a prior attempt. The trick is keeping one in there because sometimes in my case they just disappear from there after a time. Lol

• Options

I can't recall about Friday.

The order number from my relative today is: 06037xxx

If anyone else got one today please post the order number. It would be interesting to see how many were sold the past few mornings. If folks have them from the prior few mornings please post them as well.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinCrazyPA said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

I noticed the same.

I think everyone's been pretty straight forward about whether they bought or didn't and whether they are holding or flipping.

I bought 2 to flip because I do not believe in the palladium issues long-term...because...again..."platinum eagles"

But, I could be wrong. And if I am, I don't care, I made my money and have moved on. If I'm right, I also don't care, I made my money and moved on. It would, however, be remiss not to at least try and temper people's enthusiasm before they go "investing" junior's college money in palladium eagles that may be peaking as we speak.

Because of all the flipping, Eagles are in the wrong hands now. That creates an artificial shortage which causes a short term price spike. Unless there are 20,000 long term collectors for these, there is no reason for continued price appreciation. Are there 20,000 long term collectors? I don't know, but I doubt it for a variety of reasons that I've already expressed.

Thats a long rant for someone who doesn't care. Lol

• Options

@CoinCrazyPA said:

Thats a long rant for someone who doesn't care. Lol

I don't care about the present or future price of the Pd eagles. The rest is all just discussion points.

• Options

@Raufus said:

If anyone else got one today please post the order number. It would be interesting to see how many were sold the past few mornings. If folks have them from the prior few mornings please post them as well.

You can't tell as order numbers apply to ALL products sold.

• Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

@Raufus & jmlanzaf
    A relative got one on early Saturday morning with: 06036xxx
    Not sure what that means for what was available on Saturday morning.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:

You can't tell as order numbers apply to ALL products sold.

That's true. However, for the few minutes that they were available the past few days at 07:30 I think that one could assume that nearly all sales during those few minutes that early in the morning were these coins.

• Options
    edited September 9, 2018 10:04AM

Sorry, double post.

• Options
    edited September 9, 2018 10:12AM

Sorry. Double post. Having issues posting w phone.

• Options
    edited September 9, 2018 10:08AM

@ebizgobro said:
    @Raufus & jmlanzaf
    A relative got one on early Saturday morning with: 06036xxx
    Not sure what that means for what was available on Saturday morning.

Was just putting the order number out there to compare w others.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

That's how I could my first coin after sellout Friday morning. It was already in the cart. Had two windows open with the place order button ready. The first did not go through, but the second one did.

• Options

Okay all I think Monday will be are last chance, I don't know how long it will be open but that is it. The same time as Sat 4:00 to 6:00 AM Pacific time. one time it opened at midnight I'll check just in case tonight.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

Saturdays window at 730am est was quite long, I would say longer than Thursdays initial window of opportunity at noon

• Options

@7over8 said:
    Saturdays window at 730am est was quite long, I would say longer than Thursdays initial window of opportunity at noon

It was about 4-5 minutes I think.

• Options

Today's window seemed less than a minute - just seconds. I wonder how many were sold today.

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

I think about 5 minutes or more

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

In Transit

09/08/2018 - 15:16

Maumee, OH, United States

Arrival Scan

Wow, I don't know where Maumee is but my Coin sounds close. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow instead of Tuesday? I think Maumee is close to Toledo, if so it's about 70 miles away.🤩

• Options
    edited September 9, 2018 1:33PM

I was comparing this coin to the platinums also. The problem with the platinums is they were all over the place with their inconsistent designs and sub categories.

Maybe we should compare these palladiums to the gold buffalos with their consistent design. This palladium as far as I know will not change in design, unless there is something in the law. The gold buffalo proofs are stablizing around 15K mintage also.

• Options

@pf70collector said:
    I was comparing this coin to the platinums also. The problem with the platinums is they were all over the place with their inconsistent designs and sub categories.

Maybe we should compare these palladiums to the gold buffalos with their consistent design. This palladium as far as I know will not change in design, unless there is something in the law. The gold buffalo proofs are stablizing around 15K mintage also.

So, your thesis is that having 20 years of identical coins is more collectible than having 1 year types.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody buy the LIFE platinum? The first in the series of LIFE, LIBERTY, & HAPPINESS? I don't know why I'm not crazy over platinum, they always seemed overpriced and not that attractive.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@pf70collector said:

So, your thesis is that having 20 years of identical coins is more collectible than having 1 year types.

I believe he was using the Buffalos as a way to compare mintages not collectibility.

For the most part, US coins have the same designs over the entire run of the series (especially pre 1999). Personally, I like changing designs as it’s more fun to see 20 different coins than 20 of the same design with just a change in date/mintmark, but plenty of people do collect every Buffalo/Gold Eagle even though those designs remain the same.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

If you're talking about me. I bought 2...and sold 2 BEFORE release to someone on this board.

The prices offered on this board ranged from $150 to $200 before the sale. I defy you to find one offer of "$100" that someone took. $200 pre-sale against a current price of $300.

read the posts... someone sold for a $100 profit ..I think 2 did

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually bagged a second coin the other day and am considering selling it (has not yet shipped). I'm entertaining offers for the next few days.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

RichR go over to the Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins side and post it there. Many have already and sold theirs no problem. Should be the same for you.

Here is the link; https://forums.collectors.com/categories/buy-sell-trade-u-s-coins

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

A lot of people sold for $100 over. Most offers prior to 9/6 were for $100 and many bit.

• Options

Not sure if anyone has posted this or not yet, I haven't read the whole thread. Coinworld article on the sellout. They say one collector was suggesting they were selling 55 coins a second. thats a pretty heavy load. No wonder some were experiencing slowdowns.
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2018/09/palladium-proof-american-eagle-sells-out-in-minutes.html

"When I die I want to go peacefully in my sleep like grandpa did, not screaming like the rest of the people in his car."
    --- Jack Handy

Positive BST transactions with members - Tander123, Twincam, UtahCoin, ianrussell
  • Options

@VanHalen said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

A lot of people sold for $100 over. Most offers prior to 9/6 were for $100 and many bit.

A couple were offered that, the lowest actual sale I can find is $150 over. But...whatever. Profit is a profit.

• Options

What does it matter if you sold at $100 or $150 if your happy with what you rec then that's all that maters. I was happy that some kept there word and upped my buying price to them as it was going up, I just wanted to be fair with all that made a deal with me. It's not a one way street with me if I'm making more I need to take care of the ones that help me as well I cant do it with out them, That is just me Type2.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2 said:
    What does it matter if you sold at $100 or $150 if your happy with what you rec then that's all that maters. I was happy that some kept there word and upped my buying price to them as it was going up, I just wanted to be fair with all that made a deal with me. It's not a one way street with me if I'm making more I need to take care of the ones that help me as well I cant do it with out them, That is just me Type2.

I agree.

Some people just look for the dark cloud. They pre- sold to avoid risk and now some other jamokes think they were taken advantage ofby the usual "evil dealers".

When dealers lose money on a deal, no one cries. When flippers lose money, they blame the Mint like the Mint is supposed to guarantee a flip opportunity. Feel, the Mint can't even guarantee the Mint makes a profit.

You're a flipper, you're a dealer. Don't forget to declare your $100 profit on your taxes. Lol

• Options

A few were available this morning again.

• Options

Yep carbon copy of yesterday. If you didn't already have one in your cart you probably didn't get one. 5 seconds or less.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@VanHalen said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

A couple were offered that, the lowest actual sale I can find is $150 over. But...whatever. Profit is a profit.

Labor Day weekend I received at least three emails offers from bullion and/or coin dealers offering $100 over. Thousands of people got the same emails.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Anybody buy the LIFE platinum? The first in the series of LIFE, LIBERTY, & HAPPINESS? I don't know why I'm not crazy over platinum, they always seemed overpriced and not that attractive.

Imo, the older plats were more attractive, and most can be obtained for really attractive prices compared to a few years ago if one cares for platinum.

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

My PayPal order still hasn’t shipped, anybody else experiencing slowness with PayPal or is it coincidence?

• Options

@VanHalen said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@VanHalen said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

Labor Day weekend I received at least three emails offers from bullion and/or coin dealers offering $100 over. Thousands of people got the same emails.

Yes, but I haven'tseen anyone who sold at that number

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file