Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

August Pick Up Thread, the National Special Edition

Show the gems that you picked up at the National or regular purchases for those not attending

Comments

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a lot more buying than the thread reflects!

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dan... That's a hell of a Jordan. Nice pickup.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Sweet!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Beautiful Maris

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always wanted a centered Maris like that. Gorgeous piece of art. Congrats!

Andy

Andy

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Il post more later, but this is my haul so far with my son

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sdub said:
    And a nice hoard of 71 8’s.

1971 PSA 8s are a topic of discussion in another current thread. Wow! You picked up some nice ones, all in the new flips, it appears. Love the McRae! I'm more partial to him in blue, but that's a beautiful card!

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Tyler, that's half of them. It was a blast. We had box wars in the hotel room for most GS Warriors.

I'm always looking to buy PSA 9's in bulk from 70-77, but not much at this National. This group of 8's was in the way back with a super nice dealer that I will discuss in my recap. 71 is the only year i go down to 8's for obvious reasons.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Great pickup there of my favorite basketball player of all time, the great Larry Bird. Congrats!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2018 8:05PM

@Sdub said:

Il post more later, but this is my haul so far with my son

Looks like our hotel room as well. We always crack open several boxes a night at the National as a family, and this year we did 2018 Bowman jumbos, Topps Chrome jumbos, 2018 Topps, and 1990 Fleer Hoops. We brought back several of each still to rip at home along with 1987 Donruss and some 83 and 85 packs from the group rip. On the Fleer BB got the usual number of MJ’s

KC

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't been buying much lately, but here are a few low dollar Roy's for the collection (seller scans from eBay):

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Decided to snag this with the 15% coupon on eBay, an upgrade to my 8:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2018 9:35AM

KC...

Beautiful centering on all the cards...especially tough is the '57 Mantle! Great catches!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some stuff for fun. Couple more long time favorites of mine, Prime Time and Ricky.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

2018 Pickup and back from Auto Grading.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

That ‘71 Rose is incredible.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I indirectly picked up a 1983 52T reprint set.

I was over saying hi to Devan when he noticed one of the sets had a ripped seal - he said - "I can't sell this - it's yours Mike"
    Then he said: "wait - let's see what the Mantle looks like"
    It was OC - then I took one of the goofiest selfies with him - he held the camera!

Mike
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickups KC. That 69 Bench looks to be centered beyond belief. Did you pick that up from card country?

@KendallCat said:
    Here are my pickups from the Natty - not posting all of the boxes we ripped :)
    Excited I found some additions to my Mantle run and some nicely centered cards of Ryan and Bench.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2018 8:49PM

Thanks for the nice comments guys. I did not pick up any huge cards this year so I have some budget left over to grab another big Mantle or two should they pop up - also need a 15 CJ Shoeless to go with my Cobb. The 57 Mantle I grabbed at the end of Saturday from Brady and really lucky - have had a high end 8 of the card and this one looks like it could/should bump. Centering is as nice as any I have come across on a 57 Mantle.

The Bench and Rose came from Jeff at Card Country, and he had another great batch of cards this year. Been looking for a nice 71 Rose and Bench so halfway there, and both are extremely nice. 76 Ryan I got a great deal on and so hard to find this card centered. Thanks again for the comments. Here is one more card I bought pre Natty from my funds - the
    58 Mantle.

KC

• Options
    justrun7justrun7 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Back from PSA today.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

7’s fit a nice category in price and condition. One can really find some gems that might have one or two corners with a bit of wear. Like any other grade centered is a premium and that 57 and 58 are gorgeous!! Nice pick ups

@KendallCat said:
    Thanks for the nice comments guys. I did not pick up any huge cards this year so I have some budget left over to grab another big Mantle or two should they pop up - also need a 15 CJ Shoeless to go with my Cobb. The 57 Mantle I grabbed at the end of Saturday from Brady and really lucky - have had a high end 8 of the card and this one looks like it could/should bump. Centering is as nice as any I have come across on a 57 Mantle.

The Bench and Rose came from Jeff at Card Country, and he had another great batch of cards this year. Been looking for a nice 71 Rose and Bench so halfway there, and both are extremely nice. 76 Ryan I got a great deal on and so hard to find this card centered. Thanks again for the comments. Here is one more card I bought pre Natty from my funds - the
    58 Mantle.

KC

• Options

@dan89 said:

7’s fit a nice category in price and condition. One can really find some gems that might have one or two corners with a bit of wear. Like any other grade centered is a premium and that 57 and 58 are gorgeous!! Nice pick ups

@KendallCat said:

58 Mantle.

KC

Thanks for the note Dan, and funny thing is I never buy 7’s! I usually go for 8/8,5’s or high end 5’s or 6.5’s. I used to be a PSA 8 and above snob when I first started 20 years ago, but the last few years guys like Matt (DM23) have shown me how to get value in lower grades that look like 8/8.5’s. Enjoy the cards just as much and save a TON of $$.

Now I just need to find a sweet 56 Mantle PSA 8.5 or two. Love that card and grade for some reason.

KC

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

2018 pick up back from Auto Grading.

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few recent pickups.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a pack of chrome.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Picked this up at a local card show that comes to Charlotte for NBBCD.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options

@Huskies11 said:

Picked this up at a local card show that comes to Charlotte for NBBCD.

I almost set up at that show. Was it more toys than cards?

• Options

Nice little mail day, won the Mantle in a razz and Hank will be going off to get signed at the next event.

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:

I almost set up at that show. Was it more toys than cards?

I'd say it was 60/40 toys/cards both times ive been there

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another 87 fleer.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Here are a few of my National pickups......

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I've been busy with other stuff and feel bad I didn't add some more pics from the National like I did last year.

I had two really good additions to my collection.

First, as some know? I'm a board game collector and this one is a keeper!

And also from Inside the Park Collectibles - Lou and John - great guys!

An upgrade of Mantle for my Hartland collection - this one is creamy "white" and the paint is flawless!

Mike
  • Options

Thanks for sharing Mike - those are some sweet pickups. How can you go wrong with Willie and Mickey.

KC

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike those are sweet. Love the Willie Mays game. Congrats.

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

didn't get to go to the show but picked this up tonight

• Options
    edited August 14, 2018 7:51PM

Thanx Keith and Dave.

Just noticed your natty pickup Keith - very nice buddy!

Mike