Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I Just ordered "Robert Scott Liberty's Engraver." What books are you presently reading?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finally got around to ordering "Liberty's Engraver." I've been putting it off for over a year until I caught up with my reading. Today, due to a question about polishing dies, I "pulled the trigger" and ordered the book. Now I'll have five books to read with three already started.

Started:

The Devil in the White City"
Making the Corps
Counterfeit Portrait Eight-Reales The Un-real Reales

Need to read:

The Bombers and the Bombed
Engraving Liberty when I get it.

What are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

A recently received, original copy of William Barton's 'Memoirs of the Life of David Rittenhouse', published in 1813.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Issac Asimov’s Foundations

Doing some Spanish retraining to start digging a bit deeper into some of the books related to my Spanish Colonial collection

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Guide Book of Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents by @EagleEye

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    pbjpbj Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars by Van Allen & Mallis (VAM)!

A Guide Book of Morgan Silver Dollars by Bowers

Carson City Morgan Dollars by Crum, Unger and Oxman

Now guess what I collect??

• Options

@pbj said:
    Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars by Van Allen & Mallis (VAM)!

A Guide Book of Morgan Silver Dollars by Bowers

Carson City Morgan Dollars by Crum, Unger and Oxman

Now guess what I collect??

Books?

I don't have the CC Dollar book.

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Bowers Inside The Rare Coin Marketplace

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2018 5:32PM

Re-read Dante Alighieri's La Vita Nuova this afternoon. Hadn't read it since high school. His introduction is always captivating:

"In quella parte del libro de la mia memoria dinanzi a la quale poco si potrebbe leggere, si trova una rubrica la quale dice: «Incipit vita nova». Sotto la quale rubrica io trovo scritte le parole le quali è mio intendimento d’assemplare in questo libello; e se non tutte, almeno la
    loro sentenzia."

[In that part of the book of my memory before which little can be read, there is a heading which says: “Incipit vita nova: Here begins the new life.” Under that heading I find written the words that it is my intention to copy into this little book: and if not all, at least their essence.]

• Options
    KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

The Panic of 1819 - Murray Rothbard
    America's First Great Depression - Alasdair Roberts
    A Guide Book of Half Cents and Large Cents - QD Bowers
    Fractional Money - Neil Carothers (reading it for like the 5th time)

All this for some background research on why coins were counterfeited prior to the Civil War; I'm not looking forward to the post-Civil War era!

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the middle of Steinbeck's East of Eden. Not much interest numismatically, but great book nonetheless. Especially since we're considering moving to Salinas area.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Triumph and Tragedy by Churchill last of the set. Also A. H. Fox The Finest Gun in the World by Michael McIntosh. Taking a break from coin books for a little while so I don't burn out.

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2018 9:18PM

In Search of Sir Thomas Browne: The Life and Afterlife of the 17th Century's Most Enquiring Mind - Hugh Aldersley-Williams

Paradise Now: The Story of American Utopianism - Chris Jennings (met him at a mutual friend's performance in SF)

John Dee and the Empire of Angels: Enochian Magic and the Occult Roots of the Modern World - Jason Louv

Finding Fibonacci: The Quest to Rediscover the Forgotten Mathematical Genius who Changed the World - Keith Devlin

Delegates Letters to Congress (1774-1789)

I guess I like lengthy subtitles.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I finally got around to ordering "Liberty's Engraver." I've been putting it off for over a year until I caught up with my reading. Today, due to a question about polishing dies, I "pulled the trigger" and ordered the book. Now I'll have five books to read with three already started.

Started:

The Devil in the White City"
    Making the Corps
    Counterfeit Portrait Eight-Reales The Un-real Reales

Need to read:

The Bombers and the Bombed
    Engraving Liberty when I get it.

What are you reading?

I read The Devil in the White City a couple of years ago. What an amazing story!

Any fan of Erik Larson, or anyone interested in the 1893 World’s Colombian Exposition in Chicago and the diabolical tale of serial killer H. H. Holmes should read it. It is riveting!
    Lance.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Re-read Dante Alighieri's La Vita Nuova this afternoon. Hadn't read it since high school. His introduction is always captivating:

"In quella parte del libro de la mia memoria dinanzi a la quale poco si potrebbe leggere, si trova una rubrica la quale dice: «Incipit vita nova». Sotto la quale rubrica io trovo scritte le parole le quali è mio intendimento d’assemplare in questo libello; e se non tutte, almeno la
    loro sentenzia."

[In that part of the book of my memory before which little can be read, there is a heading which says: “Incipit vita nova: Here begins the new life.” Under that heading I find written the words that it is my intention to copy into this little book: and if not all, at least their essence.]

@RogerB said:

loro sentenzia."

That explains it. I wondered if you had been in Purgatorio for a while.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mint on Carson Street/Goe and Left of Bang/Van Horne & Riley.....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Anyone interested in forgery of documents should read the two major books about Mark Hoffman and the Mormon murders. One is called White Salamander.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2018 12:09PM

@Insider2 said:
    Anyone interested in forgery of documents should read the two major books about Mark Hoffman and the Mormon murders. One is called White Salamander.

I agree. Also get the DVD (ANA04-029), in which Charles Larson discusses his book--available from David Lisot (coinvideo.com).

• Options

Does he get detailed about making the ink and getting the paper? Dos he mention the 1959 mule cent he claimed to have made?

• Options

As I recall (I have the DVD, but haven't looked at it in years), he does mention the mule. I don't remember about the other materials. I was living in Salt Lake City when the trial took place, and the forgeries of early Mormon documents did not surprise me. Hoffman's desperation that led to violence certainly did, however. Get the DVD--it does mention things that were not in Larson's book.

• Options

I shall! Thanks.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 8:54AM

I have @Nysoto 's Robert Scot Engraving Liberty , by William F. Nyberg in my little stack 'to be read' along with The Storm before the Storm, by Mike Duncan.

Just finished Exploding Suns, by Isaac Asimov, The Merry Wives of Windsor, by a hack named Bill and The Mechanic's Tale by Steve Matchett.

Currently In the middle of The Roman Way, by Edith Hamilton with a reread of Shakespeare's English Kings, by Peter Saccio.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmpsrpms said:
    I'm in the middle of Steinbeck's East of Eden. Not much interest numismatically, but great book nonetheless. Especially since we're considering moving to Salinas area.

That is one of my all-time favourite novels.
    I have read it at least six times.
    Timshel!

In answer to the OP, not numismatic, but currently reading "Three Soldiers" by John Dos Passos and on the non-fiction side, George Hyde's "The Life of George Bent."
    Bent was quite the interesting fellow.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018 3:58PM

For numismatic books, most recent is 1792: Birth of a Nation's Coinage. Excellent, recommend for all who are interested in the early stages of the First US Mint.

The Swamp Fox: How Francis Marion Saved the American Revolution
    The First Wall Street: Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, & the Birth of American Finance

Reading now - American Revolutions: A Continental History, 1750-1804

I finally got around to ordering "Liberty's Engraver." I've been putting it off for over a year until I caught up with my reading.

Insider2, if you don't mind if I ask, what is your assessment of Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty ?

It is interesting that with all of the iconic coinage designs minted during Scot's tenure as Chief Engraver 1793-1823, there had been very little research done on Scot, with most authors resorting to mostly unreliable secondary sources, or speculation.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Copper Coins of Vermont and Interrelated Issues 1783 - 1788" A new book by Q. David Bowers.

" When Trumpets Call,Theordore Rooasevelt after the White House" by Patricia O'Tool.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Grace and Truth Paradox by Randy Alcorn

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin Young's 2017 book, Bunk: The Rise of Hoaxes, Humbug, Plagiarists, Phonies, Post-Facts, and Fake News. Seems appropriate for the present. Not a great book and requires considerable advance knowledge to understand many of the anecdotes. Also, it really has no beginning or end - but it's not a story, its more of an experiment.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@insider2 , @Swampboy , and @Nysoto : The Robert Scott book was excellent. It was carefully researched and exceedingly well written. The book drastically increased my appreciation of the early coinage in which Scott had a hand in creating. It has an A+ recommendation.

Mark

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just started reading The History of the United States Mint by George Greenlief Evans, I started and stopped a few years ago as I thought it somewhat boring, but it has a lot of info regarding first coin issues in or about 1200 BC and how the Romans made excellent coin strikes in 300 BC as a prelude to modern coinage. Hope I finish it this time.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 7:39AM

"Confiscation - Gold As Contraband" by Ken Furgueson

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

West Like Lightning, The Brief, Legendary Ride of the Pony Express by Jim DeFelice.

The Bonanza King by Gregory Crouch

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Abbadon's Gate for non coin
    Seated Liberty Silver Coin book

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options

The Mark Hoffman stuff is fascinating. Living in Utah I have seen some of his work and it’s amazing how authentic it looks.

My in-laws lived a couple of doors down from one of the victims in Holladay, Utah until they recently moved.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rereading "From Sarajevo to Potsdam" by A. J. P. Taylor. I read it long ago, but it is a great read. Next up are the Charlotte and Dalonega gold books.

• Options

Mark and afford - thanks for the nice comments and recommendations for my biography of Chief Engraver Robert Scot!

• Options

@Nysoto Asked: Insider2, if you don't mind if I ask, what is your assessment of Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty ?"

Your book should make you very proud. I know how hard it is to write one because I've been trying to do it since 1985!

I bought it because I learned on CU that there was a discussion about die making and the technology of the times. Thus, the first thing I did was skip the first part. After a few pages, I decided to return to the beginning. I don't see how any future author can add to Scott's autobiography. I wondered how you knew what you were writing and turned to the bibliography. Yikes, you must have spent at least a decade on research alone. The footnotes to your sources are extremely important. I can only imagine if Breen had used them to back up his writings.

Anyway, I will say that you have written book for historians and numismatists. Thus, I think it is too advanced for the average coin hoarder. Additionally, I expect I'll need to read the parts I'm most interested in twice so I don't miss anything. :)

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 8:16AM

Undaunted Courage by Steve Ambrose on the Louis and Clark exposition is something I read once a year or so. Incredible, and emboldens be to do the hard things in life. Someday, a peace medal may come home. I see a few at FUN each year and are not crazy money for what they are and represent.

Just finishing Riders on the Storm, an account of the Doors by drummer John Densmore. Published in 1990. My brother bought if for me as a gift around 91.....just getting to it finally. Not sure why I waited so long. John is a great writer and a honest eye witness account of the time period.

My favorite interview question, “What are you reading right now?” the right answers to me isn’t What your reading but That you are reading. Tells me a lot.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alas, I am better at writing and collecting books than actually reading them.

Currently on the reading pile is Moral Combat: How Sex Divided American Christians and Fractured American Politics.

So far I have not found any parts about numismatics.

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 4:09PM

"Liars, Leakers, and Liberals" by Jeanine Pirro

If only 10% of what she writes is true, this country is in big trouble. Am actually listening to an Audible book while I drive.

Quite disturbing.

Edited to add: Coins are a distant third on my reading list.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

There are several best sellers out at the moment that would rock our world. I've been waiting for the folks accused of these things to get on TV and repudiate all of it but they are staying very quiet. At least two former Presidents did just that! Sadly, both Bill and Dick lied right to our faces. :(

(

Does anyone else have the "Rat up the Spout" quarter?

• Options

I wondered how you knew what you were writing and turned to the bibliography. Yikes, you must have spent at least a decade on research alone.

Thanks for getting back. Yes, the entire process of research and writing was about a decade. The gems of information came from unpublished manuscripts, in government and private archives - these took time to research and a number of on-site trips to the archives. There were many surprises. Who created the first federal revenue stamps? Robert Scot and Adam Eckfeldt, AT THE MINT, in support of the effort to finance the re-building of the US Navy, to successfully fight the Quasi and First Barbary wars.

Everyone here should read this book, it is well written so you won't fall asleep

It will keep you awake! :)

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

"Silver Legend" The story of the Maria Theresa Thaler. by Clara Semple.

I know very little about these but have always liked the design. Good read so far, I found out about the book from another member in a recent MTT thread.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

LORDS OF FINANCE the bankers who broke the world.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Prayer for Owen Meany

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin book?
    The Authoritative Reference on Two Cent Coins by Kevin Flynn
    Normal everyday reading books?
    The Authoritative Reference on Two Cent Coins by Kevin Flynn

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Summer reading - interesting and actually has interviews of numismatists at the end:

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm brushing up on Lange's Lincoln Cent and Buffalo Nickel books, as well as revisiting the PCGS Counterfeit Detection Guide.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file