Home U.S. Coin Forum

Random picture thread for Friday

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2024 8:22PM

Heres what Pixelcut AI thinks a “19th Century US Large Cents” should look like. Some aren’t half bad

Mr_Spud

edited August 24, 2024 2:22PM

I can tell the AI used this variety of large cent as inspiration to create the AI image below it, not sure where it pulled the guy from though. Maybe it thought the Coronet Head matriarchal Liberty on the 1913 was a dude and found what it thought would be a good representative of a U.S. government guy for a coin from that era or something like that. Sort of looks like a cross between George Washington and Thomas Jefferson with a little bit of Lincoln to me

Mr_Spud

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Fun with AI. The Pixelcut App I use for most of my coin photo editing recently added a new AI feature. You can put in a few key words and it turns it into an enhanced prompt and then generates an AI image. Here’s some examples

The rabbits make that legendary!

:DB)

edited August 24, 2024 8:28PM

Just more Pixelcut AI

Mr_Spud

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Just more Pixelcut AI

You even have their uniforms as the Home Team and, and their away version, like, for all the TV viewers .

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2024 2:39AM

The History of Kit Kats in Japan with its more than 300 Varieties

Kit Kats were first introduced to Japan in 1973 by Fujiya confectionary company known for having previously created Japan’s Christmas Cake as introduced in its first shop that opened in Yokohama in 1910. Kit Kats though were first available in Hokkaido and the original flavor in Japan was Strawberry.

Kit Kats as a candy bar were invented in 1935 by Rowntree of York, England when they were referred to as a Chocolate Crisp. After World War II they took on the name of simply Kit Kat which itself was an unused trademark that Rowntree had held since 1911. (Apparently the name came from Christopher Cat’s 18th Century Kit Kat Club that sold mutton pies there made by Mr. Cat which were called Kit Kats.)

Returning to Kit Kats in Japan, Fujiya lost its rights to make and sell Kit Kats when Swiss based Nestle acquired Rowntree in 1988. (Only the United States licensee Hershey, with its division Reese Candy Company, was able to hang on to its rights to manufacture Kit Kats here. The rest of the world, including Japan, makes Kit Kats as a Nestle product.)

Nestle established two plants in Japan where its Kit Kats are made for the Japanese market, one in Himeji and the other in the small town of Kasumigaura. Under its umbrella over 300 different varieties of Kit Kats have been manufactured in Japan with dozens available at any one time. Some are seasonal and others are regional.

Why is Japan unique in having so many different Kit Kat flavors? To a certain extent it comes from the Japanese Culture of gift giving. The unique flavors from different regions make them a popular omiyage or gift to bring back to gift to friends and relatives after travel to another region of Japan. The seasonal flavors are popular as gifts for the season. Then too there is the association of Kit Kats with good luck. “Kitto Katsu” is a Japanese term with reference to winning, so Kit Kats with their similar sounding name are often given to students to wish them good luck on their exams.

Notably the Kit Kats in Japan are smaller than those typically sold in other countries. This adds to their appeal as a limited calorie sweet for health conscious Japanese.
    Only in Japan can one make one’s own Kit Kats. The Kit Kat Chocolatory Shop in Shibuya offers a “My Kit Kat Program” which allows one to choose a flavor, put in the wafer pieces, and even add toppings as well as to choose a unique box for them.

What of those 300 some varieties? Melon is popular for promoting the taste of Hokkaido’s famous melons. Apple is popular for promoting the taste of Aomori’s famous apples. Macha is popular for promoting the taste of the green tea growing regions. Peach is popular for promoting the taste of Okayama’s prized peaches. Strawberry remains a favorite. Sachertorte captures the taste of Austria’s Salzburg. Strawberry Cheesecake is uniquely packaged in a triangular box shaped like Mount Fuji.

I plead guilty to having succumbed to the temptation of loading up on Japan’s unique flavored Kit Kats to bring back to the U.S. for ourselves, family, and friends. When we returned from a visit to Lake Kawaguchi at the base of Mount Fuji we brought back with us multiple triangular shaped Mount Fuji boxes filled with the Strawberry Cheesecake Kit Kats.

More recently when I asked Tommy of “Outdoor Tom” and “Outdoor Boys” (who had previously been in Japan for an episode) what he wanted me to bring back from Japan for him he immediately responded, “Melon Kit Kats.” I was pleasantly surprised to see on the last two episodes of “Outdoor Boys” cameo appearances of some of the Japanese Kit Kats I had brought back. (In the first of the two Luke, Tommy’s Dad, is seen commenting to Bekka how with all the kids in another car they had all the Japanese Kit Kats to themselves. When I mentioned the sighting to him after the episode aired he made sure to let me know they actually did end up sharing the Kit Kats, despite the commentary.)

(For those into watching the “Outdoor Boys” YouTube Channel, the first above referenced episode is titled, “1 Week Fishing, Camping, & Hiking, Adventure [I flew a family of 10 to Alaska]” with the Japanese Kit Kats commentary at 7:05 of 46:52. Yesterday’s episode is titled, “4 Months at Our Off-Grid Cabin & Homestead in Alaska” with the Japanese Kit Kats cameo at 30:21 of 1:04.)

Fujiya was the original supplier of Kit Kats in Japan. It opened its first store outside of Japan in Taipei, Taiwan in 2016. Pictured here is Fujiya's iconic mascot, Pekko Chan as we came across a Fujia store recently in Shanghai:

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2024 6:38AM

An Ungraded 1964 Silver Denmark 5 Kroner (wedding of Anne Marie)

@asheland said:

Just for fun, I turned one of them into a template where I can pop in any of my coin images of actual coins in just a couple of seconds. So now I can use it occasionally to spice up the coin uno thread 😉

Mr_Spud

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

Never heard o any of these people.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:

@JWP said:

Never heard o any of these people.

These are all relatively famous people. Try doing a web search. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

edited August 25, 2024 1:47PM

Would you purchase a gold bullion coin that looked like this?

Mr_Spud

sorry - might be too early for Halloween

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:

@asheland said:

Just for fun, I turned one of them into a template where I can pop in any of my coin images of actual coins in just a couple of seconds. So now I can use it occasionally to spice up the coin uno thread 😉

I love that! 😎

A neat looking Duck blind

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a 2nd look. This birdie really has just 1 head. It took me a couple looks to figure it out too. Just call me slow

@JWP said:

How much 'shine were they delivering on non race days?

@JWP said:

Did this guy's wife ever pick out the right shoes?

edited August 27, 2024 4:50PM

Each summer morning at 9:45 AM the last scheduled passenger train leaves the Anchorage Railroad Depot. Called the Glacier Discovery Train it takes passengers to Whittier before continuing on to the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop.

Whittier is a cruise ship port for Holland America and Princess Cruise Lines so this will be the end of the line for those passengers boarding the cruise ships.

However, Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop is where passengers continuing on beyond Whittier and seeking a unique day trip that can include rafting on a glacial lake and river that includes spectacular views of the massive Spencer Glacier will get off before rebounding the return to Anchorage train several hours later.

Alternatively one can hike in from Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop the two miles to Spencer Glacier Lake for impressive shore based views of Spencer Glacier.

Other passengers will continue on to Grandview before circling back to pickup the rafters and/or hikers who got off at the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop.

The train arrives back in Anchorage later in the evening as it once again goes through the tunnels to Whittier on a spur routing. There passengers who got off in Whittier earlier in the day, and who did not board a cruise ship, can also return back to Anchorage.

Seen in this below video of the Glacier Discovery Train as seen from above being pulled by the locomotive are first baggage cars and then conventional passenger cars. The final car though is one of four Alaska Railroad owned Ultra Dome Cars. Those who upgrade to ride in the full length Ultra Dome Car by opting for Gold Star Service are treated to high level panoramic views out of the Dome Car's expansive glass windows and glass ceiling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2caRU3btjm8

Watch below as Alaska Railroad’s Glacier Discovery Train moves in reverse with the domed Chugach Explorer Car headed first into the world’s longest rail/auto tunnel at Whittier, Alaska.

After traversing the two mile tunnel it will head to Portage before continuing on to the hidden glaciers located in valley’s with no roadways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIBQ98etLcA

Bridge along the trail from the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop to Spencer Glacier Lake

edited August 28, 2024 1:27AM

@JWP said:

Cute, that little Nash leading the pack.

(As a child I rode across the U.S. and into Canada and onto Alaska on the then unpaved Alcan Highway as a passenger in my parents' Nash Ambassador. Pictured our stop in Detroit with cousin there flanked by self and older sibling.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file