Home U.S. Coin Forum

Random picture thread for Friday

Comments

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrDarryl said:
    I need a vacation from my vacation.

Yes, spent Christmas with my ohana (family) on Oahu, Hawaii and some time with my son and his wife in Georgia. My wife and I were born/raised in Hawaii.

ATV driving at Kualoa Ranch

Sunrise with Mokoliʻi island to the right

A view from a relative's home near Punalu'u, Oahu.

Another day another sunrise at Hālona Blowhole

Hawaiian Island Stamp & Coin. Chatted with Donald Medcalf about my research on 2M-94 (President Eisenhower appreciation medal, 400 manufactured by the US Mint, with 267 available to collectors (if you can find one). Purchased a few Hawaiian numismatic items.

The Hawaiian Mint gold issue added to my collection.

An error Hawaii school token.

22nd floor at Halepuna, mauka (mountain) view in Waikiki.

Belated 45th wedding celebration (celebration should have been in August 2021)

Dim sum at Fook Lam Restuarant at Chinatown Cultural Plaza.

January 3, 2020, snow Washington DC metro area. The west forest on my property with my dog (late afternoon).

Great Post

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    The famous Freedom Trail is a 2.5 mile red-brick trail through Boston’s historic neighborhoods that tells the story of the American Revolution. From the Old North Church to Faneuil Hall, and through resonant burying grounds, visit the temples and landmarks of the Revolutionary Era.

I would totally walk that if in Boston!

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2022 1:26PM

Well shoveling is such an interesting task 😳. Here we go again Ya feet of snow ⛄️

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

Great pic. Who is that statue of?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

I love the Boston and general colonial history!

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2022 5:39AM

@asheland said:
    I love the Boston and general colonial history!

:)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@hammer1 said:

He/She looks cute but I bet they could bite your arm off

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Happy Friday!

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:

Damn, captured that CFL bulb reflection perfectly.............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• jafo50jafo50 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

This particular clamp at the front of the skate was meant to be used with shoes when skating. The clamp would grab the hard sole of the shoe. A later design had clamp that could be used with shoes or sneakers which became popular. The metal wheels would wear out rather quickly but you could buy replacement wheels at the local toy shop or candy store. The top part of the skate key is a wrench used to remove the wheels so they can be replaced. The bottom part of the key is used to tighten the clamp that holds the shoe. A very useful item.

Fun times for sure.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

@SoCalBigMark said:
    My daily ride to the creek just got a bit more complicated.

Sometimes..................complicated things lead to NEW interesting things :)

@tipnring said:

Saint Augustine, Fla.

Thanks for the posting - brought back memories of a childhood visit to Saint Augustine.

The last time I was in Saint Augustine, Fla. I was 5 years old with a now limited recollection of drinking water from the Fountain of Youth. I think I even still recall the folded paper cups from which I drank. Now multiple decades later I still feel youthful so I guess it worked.

By the way is the pictured resort of recent origin despite looking old and historic. (With a quick internet search, the only large historic hotel I could locate was the Renaissance in downtown Saint Augustine near the Ripley Believe It or Not museum.)

• tipnringtipnring Posts: 26 ✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2022 4:56PM

@1northcoin said:

@tipnring said:

Saint Augustine, Fla.

Thanks for the posting - brought back memories of a childhood visit to Saint Augustine.

The last time I was in Saint Augustine, Fla. I was 5 years old with a now limited recollection of drinking water from the Fountain of Youth. I think I even still recall the folded paper cups from which I drank. Now multiple decades later I still feel youthful so I guess it worked.

By the way is the pictured resort of recent origin despite looking old and historic. (With a quick internet search, the only large historic hotel I could locate was the Renaissance in downtown Saint Augustine near the Ripley Believe It or Not museum.)

This is a photo of the old Ponce de Leon Hotel built by Henry Flagler & opened in 1887. It is Flagler College now.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponce_de_Leon_Hotel

The old Alcazar Hotel is across the street and was opened in 1888 also built by Henry Flagler.
    https://governorshouselibrary.wordpress.com/2020/01/10/henry-flaglers-hotels-the-ponce-de-leon-and-the-alcazar/

Cool place to visit.

edited January 9, 2022 7:13PM

Thanks for the added history.

The other memory I have from that childhood visit to Florida was Cypress Gardens. I see there is a LegoLand there now on the site but they have preserved a portion of the lake where the spectacular water shows were once performed. I think they even have a water skier or two there but nothing like the great shows of the past.

FWIW I happened by chance upon an old Esther Williams movie from the past era that featured the Cypress Gardens in all its splendor. It was pretty nostalgic seeing the setting. The two Esther Williams films made there were "Easy to Love" and "On an Island with You." Betty Grable's "Moon over Miami" also included scenes at Cypress Gardens.

The theme park known as Cypress Gardens opened in1938 and closed in 2005 after attendance dwindled from million(s) to hundreds of thousands once Disney World became a competitor.

@hammer1 said:
    Anyone remember this from the early 60's?

Thanks for the posting. It brought back memories of a visit to Branson, MO.

Never actually saw one of those on the street, but the original automobile museum in Branson had a car with one in it. I located a 2009 article that describes the museum ('57 Heaven Museum in Branson, MO) which opened in 2006 and closed in 2009) and specifically references a car there with the built in record player:

"Over there a Chrysler 300C, one of the original muscle cars, this one with a 16 1/2 rpm record player built into the dash, the era's version of the iPod. Around the corner, a Nash Cosmopolitan ... '

My own recollection was that the vehicle I saw the record player in had reportedly been owned by Sammy Davis Jr. and I believe it may have been a 1957 Italian Classic Dual Ghia which was built on a Dodge Chassis with a Chrysler drive train and engine. The car that Sammy Davis Jr. owned was one of 26 Dual Ghias that were custom built between 1956 and 1958. Frank Sinatra and select other celebrities of the time also had one. (When I reread the above referenced quote it is not clear whether the author is saying the Chrysler 300C had the record player or if he is simply referencing an additional unidentified vehicle in his listing. I guess he could also be misidentifying the Chrysler mechanicaled Dual Ghia with the production Chrysler 300C.)

In any event, what is interesting about the short-lived "'57 Heaven Museum" is that its millionaire owner Glenn Patch had assembled there in Branson MO in showroom condition one of every convertible built in the U.S. in 1957 along with a number of 1957 built hardtops as well as an inbetweener - the Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner, the World's first retractable hardtop!

Here is a link to the referenced article:

archive.boston.com/cars/news/articles/2009/01/18/auto_museum_needs_a_bailout_of_its_own/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file