Home U.S. Coin Forum

Random picture thread for Friday

Comments

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

An Osprey flying above Camp Pendleton with the Pacific Ocean in the background while driving on I-5.

Saw one of those last year here in N.E. Tenn. Fun to watch.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:

@1northcoin said:
    Happy Pi Day.

We celebrated with a home baked Coconut Cream Pie.

(Hint: Someone in the household is a math teacher.)

Photo from yesterday's Pi Day added, any math majors here to translate?

Moscow Memories with Easter Approaching:

Looking for a unique Easter egg to place in the basket?

Although this original remains locked away in the Kremlin Armory Museum in Moscow, thanks to Google, EBay, and Epsy Royal Imperial Faberge Egg Replicas made in Russia can be had for a modest sum.

Having taken Russian in collegeII had contemplated as a student taking the Trans-Siberian Railway to Moscow. I guess that is why I found this particular Faberge Egg so intriguing when I chanced upon it in the Kremlin Armory. It was created in 1900 as a gift for Easter to the Empress by Nicholas II in conjunction with the nearing completion of the Trans-Siberian Railway. Inside the egg was a working miniature train and a railway map was engraved on the exterior of the egg.

The Armory is in the same vicinity as Red Square and is within the Moscow Kremlin.

And this is the replica I ended up taking home from Russia as a souvenir:

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@1630Boston said:
    )

@1northcoin said:

@hammer1 said:

@1northcoin said:
    Happy Pi Day.

We celebrated with a home baked Coconut Cream Pie.

(Hint: Someone in the household is a math teacher.)

Photo from yesterday's Pi Day added, any math majors here to translate?

Not a math major but pretty easy.

sqrt -1 = i
    2 cubed = 8
    sigma = sum
    pi = pie

I ate some pie :)

Winner

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@1630Boston said:
    )

you have a typo

sqrt -1 = i

Square root of -1 is 1, not i :)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

@WAYNEAS said:

@1northcoin said:

@1630Boston said:
    )

you have a typo

sqrt -1 = i

Square root of -1 is 1, not i :)
    Wayne

i x i = -1
    so the square root of negative one is i

1 x 1 = 1 not -1

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

the square root of -4 = 2i

edited March 16, 2021 1:20PM

Help me out here @northcoin :)

I'm remembering my MS thesis dissertation [many decades ago] concerning 2 node 3 degree of freedom finite elements for use in designing thin shells of revolution, specifically hyperbolic paraboloids [aka nuclear cooling towers]

PS This was a computer program before computers had keyboards, mice or monitors........man I'm getting old]

@skier07 said:

An Osprey flying above Camp Pendleton with the Pacific Ocean in the background while driving on I-5.

This one also with the Pacific Ocean in the background - but looking Eastward rather than Westward. :)

Thanks for the pics @northcoin
    As a civil engineer I love dams :)

• goldengolden Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been to Hoover Dam twice. So cool!

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 9:45PM

From pictures I took at the Getty Center museum a couple of years ago 🌞
    https://youtu.be/d5t5dPEjsak

Mr_Spud

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try sleeping in their tent, during a thunder storm passing through the badlands.
    How was I to know there was a part missing. (The top cover)

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Friday!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

• EagleScout2017EagleScout2017 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2021 8:31AM

Did you know Lego's new Roman Colosseum doubles as a $549.99 cat bed?

delenda est WitterU

Deer find safe home at FBI firing range, academy

Call it a playground for Bambi and G-Men, where imaginary criminals are hunted and deer are the spectators.

The 547-acre FBI Academy, where some of America's best marksmen fire off more than 1 million bullets every month, happens to be one of the safest places for deer during hunting season

full story here
    https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna45790893

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would title this Indian chief meets eskimo.

@emeraldATV said:
    Try sleeping in their tent, during a thunder storm passing through the badlands.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before...

During...

After...

It's a BEAUTIFUL DAY! Lol.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Friday everybody! :)

@hammer1 said:
    I would title this Indian chief meets eskimo.

@emeraldATV said:

I actually see that one, Eskimo on left, Indian on right.

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

>

That's the bar!!! The one I mentioned in that recent post with the piano covered with coins :smiley:
    That bar during that photo or years later actually had what I remember to be Morgans embedded in it.

...I was working at Knott's at the time...I was a tour guide in Sam & Sadie's Haunted Shack :blush:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2021 2:56PM

Wife stepping off landing: "Honey I bought you some beef [BANG] jerkkk... thud.

@1630Boston said:

@hammer1 said:
    Wife stepping off landing: "Honey I bought you some beef [BANG] jerkkk... thud.

@1630Boston said:

yes @hammer1
    not a GREAT ad for their product

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Alamo Today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file