Home Sports Talk
Options

Lebron to the Lakers/free agency

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    How many NBA All Defensive teams has Klay been on? Zero. Klay is one of the most overrated defenders in the NBA.

if we are to discuss this rationally(read: not like Dimeman) than we need to be objective, otherwise it ends up being a stupid argument.

I don't think anyone will deny that the Bulls of that era were great Teams and that some of the players were great defenders, but did they ever have to defend against players like Kevin Durant and Steph Curry??
    --- as much as it pains me to admit it, Curry has a certain skill that I have never seen before, he is capable of launching shots he has no business of taking that have a high probability of going through the net. in a word, undefensible.
    --- what player among those Bulls would or could defend Kevin Durant?? he can drive to the rim, drop threes from eight feet beyond the arc and make an 8-10-12-14-16 foot mid-range shot like it's nobody's business. in a word, undefensible.

all throughout this thread it has been repeated that the Warriors have a "gear" that no other Teams have, has had or that anyone can remember seeing from ANY NBA Team. that being the case, how exactly would the Bulls defend them?? Chicago may have had great defensive players but(and again it pains me to say it) Golden State seems to have players who work in synch within a system which is hard to penetrate. I believe this as I type it, they would not shut down Jordan but they would neutralize him as no other Teams could. the Warriors are a prime example of the Team being greater than the sum of the individual parts. also, I can't think of anyone besides maybe the Boston Celtics who are as good in transition.

I would put it like this: If the Bulls had faced this Golden State Team in four of the six Michael Jordan Championship years how many titles would they have won?? at the same time, if the Cleveland Teams that have faced Golden State for those four years were facing the Teams that the Chicago Bulls played in four of there six Championship years how many titles would they have won?? I think the answer would somewhat skew our perception of Jordan and James as well as alter the trajectory of their legacies.

what I don't think would change is what we think of the Warriors, they would still be on the edge of immortality and working on exactly where they fit into the talk of greatest Teams of all-time.

While there is no way to prove or deny what was said above ……….. based on my seeing them both play.....I feel that those 90's Bulls were just as good as these Warriors. But like I said there is no way to prove or disprove this. They were and are both great teams.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

This article makes a solid case for Boston being Lebron's best chance to win over the next few years outside of joining the Warriors. Kyrie would get sent back to Cleveland to make it work.
    https://deadspin.com/a-good-idea-for-getting-lebron-james-onto-the-celtics-1826700308

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

My issue with Kyrie is this flat earth stuff, is he just messing with us? Or does he literally think the earth is flat?

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    This article makes a solid case for Boston being Lebron's best chance to win over the next few years outside of joining the Warriors. Kyrie would get sent back to Cleveland to make it work.
    https://deadspin.com/a-good-idea-for-getting-lebron-james-onto-the-celtics-1826700308

I'm sure Kyrie would just love that.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    have you ever heard of Klay Thompson?

How many NBA All Defensive teams has Klay been on? Zero. Klay is one of the most overrated defenders in the NBA.

Robb

so just because he hasn't been named to an all-defensive team he's overrated? in no way, shape or form is Klay Thompson an effective on-ball defender? and what about Andre Iggy? let me guess, he's a defensive liability as well?

2017-18 reg season def rtg - (Iguodala 100.5, Thompson 103.7, Green 103.7)

2017-18 postseason def rtg - (Iguodala #5, Green #8, Thompson #12)

keep loading your pez dispenser with crazy pills

• Options
    edited June 11, 2018 10:19AM

First off,Klay Thompson is a very good defender even if he hasn't made an All-Defensive team.
    Second,seeing that this has turned into who has a better defensive players,Bulls or Warriors, let's actually compare where their players rank defensively all time. These were taken from Pro-Reference's NBA Career leaders list.
    Defensive Win Shares (ranks the top 250 players in nba history)
    Bulls
    Pippen 17th
    Jordan 21st
    Rodman 36th
    Ron Harper 67th

Warriors
    Iguodala 68th
    West 88th
    Durant 111th

Defensive Rating (ranks the top 250 players in nba history)
    Bulls:
    Rodman 36th
    Pippen 65th
    Jordan 110th
    Harper 159th
    Kukoc 177th

Warriors:
    West 143rd
    Durant 203rd
    Iguodala 231st

I think Chicago has the edge defensively,GS offensively. I know this is all moot but i think a Jordan,Pippen,Rodman,Kukoc & Harper vs Durant,Curry,Klay,Green & Iguodala matchup would be very very entertaining.
    Someone needs to set up an NBA Live 2018 seven game simulation series of the 1997 Bulls vs the 2018 Warriors and see what happens.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2018 10:37AM

Klay Thompson got the 6th most Guard votes for the 2017-18 All-Defensive teams. The only guards that got voted ahead of him were (1st team)Victor Oladipo & Jrue Holiday, (2nd team) Dejounte Murray & Jimmy Butler then Chris Paul.
    Klay also had the 6th most Guard votes in 2016-17 too.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2017 Warriors team vs the 1996 Bulls would be epic. Steve Kerr would have to be player/coach. The winner could play the 1986 Celtics for best team ever

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand

I just read a short article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer written by Bill Livingston. he's a straight shooter, long-time reporter whose opinion and reports can be trusted. apparently the reports of Lebron punching the white board are accurate. I doubt it would have been different sans punch, even if it was something softer like JR's cheek!! :)

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keets.

Are there any reports local to Northern Ohio about developments on whether James is going to stay in Cleveland or go to another team?

Also, what do you think he is going to do? If you think he will leave Cleveland what team to you think he will sign with?

• Options

Not sure if there is more to this but Gary Payton reports that Lebron's son will be playing basketball at Sierra Canyon School in Los Angeles next season.

• Options

Lebron wants to do a Brady and play quite a few more seasons. It’s going to have to be a good fit for several years and be competitive right away. Factor in cap space and the playing field is small.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
  • Options

I haven't heard or read anything local and there's been no scuttlebutt out there with the general public. to be honest, I would expect the National Press is watching this story so close that they will break what happens. the article didn't speculate on where he might sign.

what it did say, and Livingston was pretty clear, is that what happened eight years ago when Lebron left isn't the same as what is taking place now. he says further that to Boo him now or be bitter about it if he leaves is on the fans, not Lebron. for myself, I was most aggravated about the way he left, not the leaving. if he signs elsewhere I will still watch him play and cheer for him. he is a special player and not the same person as then and without overstating it, he does a lot outside of the basketball court that most people don't know about. that is true about many, many high paid athletes.

if I had to guess, I would say that Lebron's decision to stay in Cleveland would be a very easy one. I imagine his decision to leave will be a very well thought out decision that won't be without some strong, emotional struggle. despite what you might think of him he is aware of more than just the money and Championships.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the odds of 5-1 clearly says that LeBron won't be back with the Cavs.

The Vegas bookies know it better than LeBron himself. LOL

• Options

Supposedly Lebron will let the Cavs know if he is staying or going at some point today.
    https://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=517136

• Options

Looks ,like the Celtics made an attempt to trade for Kawhi Leonard at the trade deadline. Unless its a Kyrie for Kawhi deal with a minor player/pick to even out the dollars, i say pass.
    https://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=517167

• Options

I would have thought he'd take more time and wait till after the draft, some rest to clear his head and more intense talks with management. I suppose his agent has already done at least some of that.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2018 8:12AM

Maybe he's giving the Cavs advance warning so they can prepare for next weeks draft knowing he will/won't be back. He still has a little over 2 weeks before free agency starts for him to make his final decision on where he goes.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Maybe he's giving the Cavs advance warning so they can prepare for next weeks draft knowing he will/won't be back. He still has a little over 2 weeks before free agency starts for him to make his final decision on where he goes.

he should tell the cavs now. No one has to tell anyone else until a deal happens

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

he should tell the cavs now. No one has to tell anyone else until a deal happens

Well if that article i linked is true he is telling them now.

• Options

how do you explain Kyrie Irving, his comments and things that are being reported??

• Options

@keets said:
    how do you explain Kyrie Irving, his comments and things that are being reported??

the flat earth stuff? No one can explain that

• Options
    edited June 13, 2018 4:47PM

@keets said:

I think he just wants to wait till next offseason when he's eligible to make significantly more money. If he signs an extension this offseason he can only sign for:
    Extension - 4 years/~$108M + 1 current year left at $20M =
    Total 5 years/~$128M

If he waits till next offseason he can sign for:
    Projected new deal in 2019 is 5 years/~$188M + 1 current year left at $20M =
    Total 6 years/~$208M

If he doesn't get traded then Boston is the only team that can offer him that 5yr/188M extension. He's just waiting a year to get a huge salary raise per year. The question is will Danny Ainge decide to move him before then if they can't get a verbal commitment that Kyrie plans on sticking around longterm.

• Options

So why is Kyrie Irving possibly being considered as a player that Boston may trade? (if my vague understanding of things in Celtics land is accurate).

Is Boston concerned about his health (repeated leg injuries, a al Derrick Rose, threatens to shorten his career and/or skill set?) or is it because of the development of other players this past year and payroll/luxury cap concerns?

If James signs with Boston, what would be the impact of that on Kyrie Irving (would he want to play with James again?)

• Options

The only reason why there's any trade talk for Kyrie is because he hasn't verbally or contractually committed to the Celtics longterm which makes sense from his point of view.
    If he signs the four year extension this offseason he's making 27M a year,if he signs next offseason its 37M a year.
    I don't think his health is as big a red flag as its made out to be.

Boston doesn't have any cap space to go after Lebron,the only way he can end up on the Celtics is if they trade one of their max guys,Kyrie/Hayward/Horford to Cleveland after Lebron opts into his final year the gets dealt to Boston.
    I honestly don't see him coming here.

• Options

I don't know if Irving has any kind of power over the ability of the Celtics to trade him, but couldn't he get a similar contract in terms of money from another Team?? I would think he could. as for his health, particularly his legs, I would suggest that it is a factor and something that any franchise would be concerned about. the concern would be that his injuries have both been late in the season. it has happened twice now so any franchise would naturally be looking at him closely.

what strikes me most about him isn't his excellence as a player or his susceptibility to injury, it is apparent sense of importance to the Celtics. as structured, they just made it though the playoffs to within a game of the finals. he isn't really as vital to Boston's success as we thought he was.

• Options

I read somewhere that if Kyrie waits till next offseason then hits free agency the highest he can get paid by other teams is the $27M per year while Boston can pay him the full 37M per year.

As for the injuries,Boston knew about his knee's history and that he was going to need the screws removed at some point,it just ended up happening during the season which was unexpected. From all that I've read & heard,Boston isn't as worried about Kyrie's knee going forward as many people are making it out to be.

As for sense of importance in Boston's plans going forward,I'd say he is _very important_and would have made a huge difference had he played in these playoffs. The Celtics didn't have a legit veteran player on the court outside of Horford & Marcus Morris during that Cavs series that could have slowed things down and got the Celtics away from bombing three after three,especially in game 7. Had Kyrie or Hayward or both been playing,we'd probably would have seen a different ending.

I want Kyrie in Boston and if he's going to get dealt I want it to be for a legit big man. Anthony Davis isn't going anywhere but Karl Anthony-Towns most likely is. Minnesota probably wouldn't get a better return than Kyrie for KAT. There's also been talk of getting a high draft pick this year for Kyrie. If the C's can get a team to give them a young player plus a top 5 pick that lands them Ayton,Bamba,Jackson,Porter or Trae Young I'm all for it. I'd prefer Danny Ainge adding pieces that fit to Brown & Tatum's timeline. It would also mean no 3rd Max contract on their salary cap.

• Options

Here's a scenario where Lebron,Kawhi & Paul George all end up on the Lakers. If Lonzo isn't dealt he'd probably lead the league in assists.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23776431/how-lakers-land-lebron-james-paul-george-kawhi-leonard-nba-free-agency

• Options

On local sports radio today in the Bay Area discussion of James going to the Lakers was front and center. During the discussion a scenario involving James going to the Lakers via a trade of him by Cleveland resulting in Lonzo Ball (with his abrasive father in tow) going to Cleveland as part of the trade.

That gave me a chuckle, thinking about the consternation that Lavar Ball would experience if his son was traded away by the Lakers. :)

• Options
    edited June 14, 2018 9:28AM

@SanctionII said:
    On local sports radio today in the Bay Area discussion of James going to the Lakers was front and center. During the discussion a scenario involving James going to the Lakers via a trade of him by Cleveland resulting in Lonzo Ball (with his abrasive father in tow) going to Cleveland as part of the trade.

That gave me a chuckle, thinking about the consternation that Lavar Ball would experience if his son was traded away by the Lakers. :)

Lonzo is gonna be a really good NBA point guard in the Jason Kidd mold. If Cleveland can land him in that Lebron sign & trade,between Lonzo,Love,Nance & whoever the Cavs pick at 8 would make a decent trio to build around. They won't be a Finals contender but they'd probably be back end of the lottery at worse. That's if Lavar doesn't ruin it all first.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:

I have been pretty supportive of Lavar in the past but the dude is really crazy. He was on AM570 (LA sports radio) yesterday with the boys. The boys didn't really talk. Lavar was talking about how rich he is because he has a Rolls Royce (which I think Lonzo bought for him). The announcers were questioning whether that makes him rich as it's not that hard to buy a Rolls Royce. Lavar said "do you see very many Rolls Royces driving around?" The one guy replied, "ya, in my neighborhood I see a lot of them...." Lol. Lavar seriously sounded like all sterotypes of a poor person trying to impress. Very sad really. That was just the start of the crazy talk. He went on and on about all 3 boys playing for the same team. Bad mouthed Kouzma a bit. #crazy

https://am570lasports.iheart.com/featured/lunchtime-with-roggin-and-rodney/content/2018-06-13-lavar-ball-talks-lonzo-kuzma-beef-lithuania-and-more/

• Options
    edited June 14, 2018 1:25PM

it's interesting that in Cleveland I don't hear/see anything about Lebron unless I missed it. maybe I need to go back and check again.................................... the three things that seem to be at the top of the "Sports" are the Indians, the upcoming Browns training camp and an extension of some sort for Larry Nance, Jr.

there is an article or two about Lebron but they don't seem to dominate the talk. the interesting one is if he can stretch his career enough to play with his oldest son. interesting.........................

• Options

@keets said:
    it's interesting that in Cleveland I don't hear/see anything about Lebron unless I missed it. maybe I need to go back and check again.................................... the three things that seem to be at the top of the "Sports" are the Indians, the upcoming Browns training camp and an extension of some sort for Larry Nance, Jr.

there is an article or two about Lebron but they don't seem to dominate the talk. the interesting one is if he can stretch his career enough to play with his oldest son. interesting.........................

Don't you think Lebron is in the end portion of his career?

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

Karl Malone,Tim Duncan,Kareem Abdul Jabbar,Dikembe Mutombo,John Stockton,Steve Nash,Jason Kidd,Manu Ginobili,Vince Carter & Jordan all played into their 40's.
    Lebron can play another 6-7 years if he wanted maybe even longer. He's only 33 and in excellent condition.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@keets said:

No way the guy is a tank. He could play 10 more years if he reduced his minutes. If he comes to Boston and gets on the TB12 program he could play until he is 45 :D:D:D:D

LeBron needs the avacado ice cream , with the special additive of course , not the one Julian Edelman just got busted for , a different one B)

• Options

Jon, he's only 33, in perhaps the best physical shape of his career and has a well documented history of taking care of himself. it accounts in large part to his never having a major season interrupting/ending injury. he should be able to play until he wants to retire, on his terms.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2018 2:49PM

@DIMEMAN said:

Kind of. He is in great shape and could play several more seasons. He will not remain the greatest player in the world. He will lose a step. Will he be able to handle that mentally? Will he play until he is not the best player on his team? Would he want to play when he is 41 and the best sixth man in the league? Some stars in all sports hang on too long. Some quit when they simply are no longer dominate. LeBrons best may not be behind him now but it will be in a couple years.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@keets said:
    Jon, he's only 33, in perhaps the best physical shape of his career and has a well documented history of taking care of himself. it accounts in large part to his never having a major season interrupting/ending injury. he should be able to play until he wants to retire, on his terms.

keets - I didn't say he was done. But NBA Basketball is a young mans game. If I was an owner and building for the future I think I could spend 35M a year better than on Lebron with a long term contract. On the other hand if I already had the other pieces needed I certainly would add him for the 35M short term.

JMHO

• Options

I think it would be great if James continued to play and eventually was able to play in the league at the same time his son does (does anyone know if his son shows skills and physical abilities that indicate he would be good enough to play in the NBA?).

Also, have their been cases where a father and a son play in the NBA at the same time? None that I can think of.

• Options

Don't you think Lebron is in the end portion of his career

well, maybe you didn't say he was done, but you sure hinted that you think he's close.

something to think about --- in his 15th season at the age of 33 he just had arguably his best season and one worthy of being League MVP, though he probably won't win.

my hunch is that his tank might not be full but there's enough left for a nice drive. he certainly isn't running on fumes as you suggest.

• Options
    edited June 14, 2018 6:31PM

If Lebron plans on playing with his kid one day the earliest that could happen is 6 seasons from now. There's also the possibility that if Junior turns into a legit top -of-the-draft type NBA prospect he could get picked by a different team than the one Lebron Sr is playing on. its a possibility they meet up on the same team somewhere down the line but I wouldn't bet on it. Lebron Sr might have to pull some major major strings for the two of them ending up together.

edit: Lebron can also stagger his contracts where he becomes a FA in the season his son gets drafted. Maybe go to the team that drafts Jr and play for their mid-level exception.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm gettin bout sick and tired of all this lebron & bronny jr talk. i'll tell you right now where the real talent is.......it's in L freakin A. all the lake show needs is me and my three boys on the floor. damn straight. not only would we win 10 championships in a row, but we'd save the franchise millions by playing with 4 instead of 5. and by the way, i'm still waiting on that punk MJ to call me so i can whoop that ass one-on-one.

best,
    lavar

• Options

LA can have a starting five of James,James Jr,Ball,Ball & Ball. ESPN would practically beg to be able to turn the Lakers locker room into a reality show.

• Options

back when I was still Bowling our Team was Hancovsky, Hancovsky, Slavkovsky, Slavkovsky and Kavanaugh!! :)

we got lots of laughs at tournaments with that line-up.

• Options
    edited June 15, 2018 11:00AM

Its official, Kawhi wants out of San Antonio to go play for the Lakers. Hopefully Danny Ainge stays away from this one,he's already got one star who hasn't committed longterm to the Celtics yet so don't trade your best young players for another one.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think SA is not in LBJ's future. Can't see him with "Pop".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options