Home U.S. Coin Forum

Discussion has run it's course.....be well, be kind and be aware!!

Comments

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

ALC 14.50 % by volume ;)

@ricko said:
    My motto is "In Cabernet I trust."....That would not look good on coins, but coins look good when on Cabernet... ;) Cheers, RickO

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's getting very heavy here.....off to the beach folks B)

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2022 8:01PM

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    It's getting very heavy here.....off to the beach folks B)

Me too! Don’t forget to turn over

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    There was no logical or any other reason at all to make changes. Unlike in Canada where they had to change it to be "gender neutral". :o
    Some hecklers always have to be right...
    see here
    [https://cnn.com/2018/02/01/americas/canada-gender-neutral-national-anthem-trnd/index.html]

We actually had a speaker at my college suggest that we should not call them "freshman" anymore. [My college is ahead of the curve, we've been calling them "First Years" for over a decade.] She also suggested we need to rename the "Bachelor" degree as it is too gendered. That one is a little far-fetched as "bachelor" is not "unmarried man" but a contraction of "baccalaureate", but you wouldn't want anyone feeling unwelcome.

By the way, college campuses are currently 58% of "Bachelor" degrees go to women and only 42% go to men...so who should feel unwelcome in Academia?

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Would you feel the same if it said "In Allah We Trust"? I still think it's much better to keep church and state separated and not pick winners and losers on a national/federal level based on one specific ancient myth with zero evidence, where there are thousands of ancient myths to choose from.

Some> @jmlanzaf said:

@Crypto said:

Do most people believe? I am not so sure about that. If people really believed in all powerful space men, I would suspect they would do more walking the walk instead of talking the talk to keep them happy. Not to mention these Gods wouldn’t keep changing the rules to adapt to society.

From what I see is mostly people saying tired tropes to societally fit in and then do what they want, how they want. confident that the ever changing definition of religious compliance will come down to their level. And it typically does

Society is better off with various religions placating the masses but that doesn’t make the old fables true.

Don't conflate differences in opinion over what constitutes sin with differences of opinion in the existence of God. There is NO DOUBT that the vast majority (approximately 90%) of the population believes in some kind of God. Those polls are anonymous and there would be no advantage in lying. Those people also are human and have human failings and often have their own interpretations of morality.

So, for example, the MAJORITY of Catholics believe that premarital sex is not a sin. A huge minority if not an absolute majority of Catholics also believe that, at the very least, abortion is a forgivable sin. However, none of those people could legitimately be said to NOT believe in a God.

As I've said, I've long believed that IGWT does violate the Establishment clause and I'm surprised it has survived legal challenge. But at the same time, I would not pretend that many of my fellow citizens believe in some kind of God, even if their personal behavior is often reprehensible.

Read what I said again, saying you believe in a god and acting like you believe in a god are two completely different things.

Most people don’t go to Church
    Most people don’t do any religious activities that inconvenience them
    Most people don’t really know much if anything about any of the holy text they pretend to subscribe to
    Most people don’t contribute to a church
    Most people don’t even pretend to believe until they are old or sick or need something and In need of a little magic

I for one would do what I was told, when I was told if I thought some all power dude would smite me. You don’t really get it to have both sides of the argument. How can different Catholics believe different things. It’s god’s Word not theirs right?

Most people are religious when you ask them just as most people are self proclaimed good drivers. That is what they think they are supposed to say and they can’t handle the alternative of becoming dirt in a few years.

Read what I said again, saying you believe in a god and acting like you believe in a god are two completely different things.

Most people don’t go to Church
    Most people don’t do any religious activities that inconvenience them
    Most people don’t really know much if anything about any of the holy text they pretend to subscribe to
    Most people don’t contribute to a church
    Most people don’t even pretend to believe until they are old or sick or need something and In need of a little magic

I for one would do what I was told, when I was told if I thought some all power dude would smite me. You don’t really get it to have both sides of the argument. How can different Catholics believe different things. It’s god’s Word not theirs right?

Most people are religious when you ask them just as most people are self proclaimed good drivers. That is what they think they are supposed to say and they can’t handle the alternative of becoming dirt in a few years.

You may not believe in magic, but you like your fables nonetheless. You have a foolproof (fool's?) argument: any actual numbers are false so the ones you make up must be true.

news.gallup.com/poll/193271/americans-believe-god.aspx

The fact that people interpret their faiths differently and personally does NOT mean they don't have some level of faith. Even if they are unsure of the existence of a God, that is not the same as being so bloody sure there isn't one. In fact, if you are being honest, your belief is no more factual than theirs. You BELIEVE there is no God (of any kind), you really can't KNOW it.

Even someone who doesn't go to church or donate money to a church might well believe in God. Believing in God is not the same as believing in the [fill in the blank with the sect of your choice] Church.

I don't trust evangelicals, they are too sure about their God. I also don't trust atheists, they are even more fervent in their belief (disbelief?) than any evangelical.

Even if 51% of the population were atheists, it doesn't make God any more real or more fake. So, why do you need to call Gallup a liar and believe that you are part of a majority?

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the discussion gets to be like this, my motto has always been.... "PASS THE POTATOES, PLEASE."

• hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I am NOT an atheist.

However, I really don't see how the motto could be seen as anything but a violation of the non-Establishment cause. This case arguing "speech" seems specious. But any reference to "God" is Deist in nature and while it does not establish any specific sect, it does support Deists as a group and thereby exclude non-Deists.

Personally, not being an atheist, I wouldn't spend $5 of my money trying to remove the motto. And I really don't notice or care. But I've always been amazed that the motto has survived as many legal challenges as it has.

IMHO, you are misreading the intent of the Constitution.

I would argue the intent of the Constitution is to not force the citizens to worship and/or financially support a religion. It seems like Thomas Jefferson wanted separation of church and state, but he didn't get his way. As a result, the government is free to practice religion (such as Congress having a resident minister that opens Congressional meeting with prayer), and the government also has free speech (saying 'In God We Trust' on it's coins).

To paraphrase the old argument: "it's freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion the Constitution guarantees."

@hookooekoo said:

I would argue the intent of the Constitution is to not force the citizens to worship and/or financially support a religion. It seems like Thomas Jefferson wanted separation of church and state, but he didn't get his way. As a result, the government is free to practice religion (such as Congress having a resident minister that opens Congressional meeting with prayer), and the government also has free speech (saying 'In God We Trust' on it's coins).

To paraphrase the old argument: "it's freedom OF religion not freedom FROM religion the Constitution guarantees."

You might want to re-read the Establishment Clause:

https://law.cornell.edu/wex/establishment_clause

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Takes 20 quarters today to buy a cup of Starbucks. They can put Pee Wee Herman for president on them and they are still worthless in commerce.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Freedom of religion means They can't make you worship any specific deity nor any at all if ya don't want to.

If one thinks IGWT clutters coin legends, they should be grateful for the terse, if Yoda-ish, expression, at least it's generic enough to include the singular, and possibly collective, Sky Brothers

Imagine if our coins said, "Some if us, to varying degrees, believe and have faith that there are special beings who dwell Out There and visit this planet occasionally over time in order to attempt to guide our behavior and lead us toward membership in their eternal, (or at least longer duration, relativistically and quantum-mathematically considering) existence"

Even then, there would be lawsuits to modify the wording, introducing additional clauses for clarity and refinement.

Anyway, the coins i collect don't have it, so whatever, dude. Keep it chill.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@BillJones said:
    Atheists are supposed to be open minded and "progressive." Yet they have no tolerance for something that they can very easily ignore.

Atheists can be conservative in all aspects other than religion.

But, to appreciate both sides of the argument, suppose every time a non-atheist went to buy a cup of coffee they saw this:

Sometimes it is better to let people decide for themselves and not have the government promote one way or the other.

Personally, I have no problem with the motto, although it does complicate coin designs. Also note that the United States got along just fine for a long time without it on coins (at least one coin denomination, the Bison nickel, was issued without the motto up through 1938).

We already have proof this is a Christian nation on the coins of the United States... it's in the type of dating we use.

thefinn
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put George Burns or Morgan Freeman on the coins and that will end it.... :)

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the edited title to your thread... And at the moment I am well. I will be kind because I am not writing anything further so I am unable to offend anyone this time. Two out of three is good enough as being aware is overrated as there is only so much disappointment... And there is just not enough to go around for what matters.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2018 4:27PM

@stevek said:
    Things have gotten better in our country the past year and a half and it's a wonderful thing to see.

A really nice thing is that I'm making more money and therefore I have more money to spend on coins. :)

Flag it

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

TDN:

Thanks for proving that a picture is worth 1000 words

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    As long as religion is so prevalent, resistance is futile.

Actually, it has to do with the founding principles of this country. We should all be a lot better off and safer if the "principles of behavior and respect" found in various religions really were more prevalent. I work with an atheist. He is still a good person.

edited June 3, 2018 5:06PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    I am NOT an atheist.

However, I really don't see how the motto could be seen as anything but a violation of the non-Establishment cause. This case arguing "speech" seems specious. But any reference to "God" is Deist in nature and while it does not establish any specific sect, it does support Deists as a group and thereby exclude non-Deists.

Personally, not being an atheist, I wouldn't spend $5 of my money trying to remove the motto. And I really don't notice or care. But I've always been amazed that the motto has survived as many legal challenges as it has.

I'm using your post as a jump-off. I like most of what you have been posting in this thread as it makes sense.

Before posting "pap" about the "Non-establishment clause," I recommend folks read the original papers and the actual reason for the separation - that government shall not...and not the interpretation that came years later that became all twisted. A God (Whichever you choose or not choose to follow) has been included in this country since its beginnings. The motto was possibly put on our coins to recognize this fact. Roger <3 will know the reason. Politics?

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read something long ago that made me think when someone, a believer in God exclaimed to an unbeliever in God........great, if you're right about there is no God, when we die we simply return to dust. But on the other hand if there is a God, just where do you think you'll end up when you die?

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    I read something long ago that made me think when someone, a believer in God exclaimed to an unbeliever in God........great, if you're right about there is no God, when we die we simply return to dust. But on the other hand if there is a God, just where do you think you'll end up when you die?

The Pope says it depends on how you lived your life. I happen to agree

@tradedollarnut said:

@leothelyon said:

The Pope says it depends on how you lived your life. I happen to agree

I'm not going to touch that one. :)

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

I often wonder what it means "Separation of church and state" yet all our money blends the two with that motto. Just a thought.

@leothelyon said:

For me..it will be the FUN show on a Sunday afternoon.

• hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@hookooekoo said:

You might want to re-read the Establishment Clause:

https://law.cornell.edu/wex/establishment_clause

Let's ALL re-read the Establishment Clause:
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." (the rest of the clause deals with what the government will not prohibit others to do).

I see nothing in those words that restricts government's own speech.

I see nothing in those words that restricts government's own speech.

The government taking a Deist position clearly establishes a belief in or acceptance of the Deist position...to the detriment of non-Deists.

As for "government free speech", the whole idea borders on ludicrous. The concept of
    "Free Speech" was protection for the citizenry from government sanction based on things said by the individual. How, exactly, would the government sanction itself? And why would the government need protection from itself?

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2018 5:28AM

I think they invented credit cards to avoid this topic. Of course they invented Dremels for you hard core folks without a credit card that don't like the motto.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, maybe not EVERY minute. ;)

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    A federal appellate court has just dismissed an atheist lawsuit, agreeing once again with our arguments that the National Motto – In God We Trust – does not violate the Constitution.

full article here: https://aclj.org/american-heritage/federal-appeals-court-upholds-our-national-motto?utm_source=Facebook&amp;utm_medium=Informational&amp;utm_content=American Heritage&amp;sf89018141=1

So because someone wants separation of church and state they are atheists?????????? Seems like an overinterpretation to me. The conservatives win again, I agree it should be removed. It is the law.

Best, SH

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Religion and politics show up and disagrees surely follow.

It is so very tempting to give you a 'disagree' ... so very tempting! ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

God loves us. That's why He made beer.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2018 8:19AM

When the motto :in god we trust" first was used. everyone went to church on Sunday or their respective house of worship. Liking it or not. IT was THE thing to do to be accepted within the community. It was a great motto to live by at the time. It has survived some very tough times. It was surely meant to be neutral and addresses, without saying, all religions and believes. But, according to the "press release" below, this is about to change.

(Joke)
    Released this AM at 0400 ET by the chief press secretary of a certain very whitish home:
    It reads"
    " Fellow Americans,
    It has just been brought to my attention that readers of a certain US-Coin forum have some concerns with the motto: in god we trust". So I have decided to step in and make a memorable and positive change to settle this issue so there will be no misunderstanding.
    I have just signed a 'presidential order' that all new coins and monetary instruments produced by the US Treasury and mints will from now on bear the following motto "_Fake news, I will make America great again" .
    The new motto will be located directly under the presidents effigy, and will be implemented immediately. The very first mintage of the 2018 Nickels, dimes, quarters and new 50 cent coins will be limited to only 20,000 pieces, will be in offsetting bright colors, and will have the initials D.T. next to the motto. I, The President, promise you that these coins will be a highly collectible and rare numismatic item.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

@jmlanzaf said: "The government taking **a Deist position **clearly establishes a belief in or acceptance of the Deist position...to the detriment of non-Deists.

IMO, you have your tenses mixed up. The government did not take a position at a particular time with a "motto," what it did was affirm and recognize the ORIGINAL position of the importance of a Deity as involved with the founding of our country.

Having some form of a God does not effect an atheist in the least. AFAIK, there is only one "Religion" at this time that persecutes "non-believers." If seeing the word "God" on a coin offends someone, they need to get a life after visiting a doctor. :)

@YQQ said: "When the motto :in god we trust" first was used. everyone went to church on Sunday or their respective house of worship. Liking it or not. IT was THE thing to do to be accepted within the community. It was a great motto to live by at the time. It has survived some very tough times. It was surely meant to be neutral and addresses, without saying, all religions and believes.

Well said! And (not a joke) It looks like we are on the way to being "Great Again." With all the debt is it going to be an uphill battle but a least no one is out to "fundamentally change" our country any more.

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the court would have ruled the other way, all existing coins and bills would have to be turned back into the government, at face valve, and destroyed.

If you are caught with one, $10,000,000 fine per day per coin.

Black helicopters are fueled and ready.

Can the person that flagged my last post please consider changing that flag to this post instead...

At least P. T. Barnum had honest hair...

• libertydudelibertydude Posts: 243 ✭✭

I'm an atheist and don't mind the motto because of its historical significance with respect to inalienable rights...

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@dcarr said:

@BillJones said:
    Atheists are supposed to be open minded and "progressive." Yet they have no tolerance for something that they can very easily ignore.

Atheists can be conservative in all aspects other than religion.

But, to appreciate both sides of the argument, suppose every time a non-atheist went to buy a cup of coffee they saw this:

Sometimes it is better to let people decide for themselves and not have the government promote one way or the other.

Personally, I have no problem with the motto, although it does complicate coin designs. Also note that the United States got along just fine for a long time without it on coins (at least one coin denomination, the Bison nickel, was issued without the motto up through 1938).

We already have proof this is a Christian nation on the coins of the United States... it's in the type of dating we use.

It’s just lunch?

@Justacommeman said:
    Constitutional lawyers and judges don’t often agree on the interpretation of the Constitution. Having members here disagreeing is a given

m

Relax Mark...someone will make you a cake.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

There may well be a few of us here that wouldn't mind adding an L into the motto: In Gold We Trust, I'm fairly certain that God won't mind unless he was planning to send me that $54 Million private jet.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    My motto is "In Cabernet I trust."....That would not look good on coins, but coins look good when on Cabernet... ;) Cheers, RickO

I'd have guessed you were a white wine drinker, preferably a blast white wine drinker

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@ricko said:

I'd have guessed you were a white wine drinker, preferably a blast white wine drinker

Yes but when aged it all comes out with even golden hues.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

@Insider2 said:
    @jmlanzaf said: "The government taking **a Deist position **clearly establishes a belief in or acceptance of the Deist position...to the detriment of non-Deists.

IMO, you have your tenses mixed up. The government did not take a position at a particular time with a "motto," what it did was affirm and recognize the ORIGINAL position of the importance of a Deity as involved with the founding of our country.

Having some form of a God does not effect an atheist in the least. AFAIK, there is only one "Religion" at this time that persecutes "non-believers." If seeing the word "God" on a coin offends someone, they need to get a life after visiting a doctor. :)

My tenses are perfectly correct. And, in fact, you misstate the history of the motto. The motto was suggested to during the Civil War as a necessary statement of belief. It was meant to establish that the U.S. was not a heathen nation, so it does in its history attempt to "establish" the U.S. as a deist nation.

The Constitution does not require that anyone be seriously offended or inconvenienced. It only demands that there be no Establishment, not an inconvenient Establishment.

Again, I don't really care about the motto myself, but that is different than saying that the Constitution permits it. I personally wouldn't care if the currency said "Satan be praised", but a lot of other people would disagree.

https://treasury.gov/about/education/Pages/in-god-we-trust.aspx

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has become my favorite coin! :)
    Gold aureus commemorating the destruction of Jewish temple in Jerusalem as foretold by Jesus in gospel of Mark !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Constitutional lawyers and judges don’t often agree on the interpretation of the Constitution. Having members here disagreeing is a given

m

Relax Mark...someone will make you a cake.

It better be gluten free

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file