Home U.S. Coin Forum

Discussion has run it's course.....be well, be kind and be aware!!

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 3, 2018 1:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A federal appellate court has just dismissed an atheist lawsuit, agreeing once again with our arguments that the National Motto – In God We Trust – does not violate the Constitution.

full article here: https://aclj.org/american-heritage/federal-appeals-court-upholds-our-national-motto?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Informational&utm_content=American Heritage&sf89018141=1

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

100!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

i totally agree and thats way cool to hear. best wishes all

• MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭

That is indeed good news. But does anyone care to guess when the next attack on the motto will occur?

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will say I agree 100% and let it go at that.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrHalfDime said:
    That is indeed good news. But does anyone care to guess when the next attack on the motto will occur?

It's already underway in a different court and different district.

bob :(

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool we need this in this world...

Hoard the keys.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as religion is so prevalent, resistance is futile.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of trivializes something that is important to many. Agree with Theodore Roosevelt.

BTW - in the 1830s and 1870s there was considerable talk about removing E Pluribus Unum from US coins on the basis that it was redundant with "United States." This was done with the lower-weight gold in 1834, but the motto was soon restored.

All of these mottoes and required emotional inscriptions make good, creative coin design much more difficult.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I heard some want to double down and require the motto be repeated twice .......

:s got a "disagree" for finishing up my prayer :#

@Paradisefound said:
    amen

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I heard some want to double down and require the motto be repeated twice .......

Looks repeated just once to me.
    Lance.

• MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    A federal appellate court has just dismissed an atheist lawsuit, agreeing once again with our arguments that the National Motto – In God We Trust – does not violate the Constitution.

Who is "our"?

image Respectfully, Mark
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2018 5:18PM

@Paradisefound
    That disagree was uncalled for.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has God checked in with His opinion? o:):D

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkInDavis said:

@AUandAG said:

Who is "our"?

This obviously is the Pro side in the court ruling. Not my words. I cut and pasted the wording.
    click on the link and you can read for yourself.

bob :)

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2018 4:30PM

I imagine it might be a different outcome if the motto was not already present and the courts were ruling on including it.
    Imagine if both the legislative and executive branches enacted a law on removal of both mottos. It would be nice to return coins to the way they were in the earliest days of our nation. Back to Liberty, United States of America, and the denom.
    At least I know which thread will be deleted this Monday.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, didn't mean to call you Shirley.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Sorry, didn't mean to call you Shirley.

I think we should put that on coinage!

As for the "other motto", I don't really care. It's easy to ignore, if you so choose, and the time and money spent fighting it could be better spent on something else! (Anything else!!)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am NOT an atheist.

However, I really don't see how the motto could be seen as anything but a violation of the non-Establishment cause. This case arguing "speech" seems specious. But any reference to "God" is Deist in nature and while it does not establish any specific sect, it does support Deists as a group and thereby exclude non-Deists.

Personally, not being an atheist, I wouldn't spend $5 of my money trying to remove the motto. And I really don't notice or care. But I've always been amazed that the motto has survived as many legal challenges as it has.

@dcarr said:

@BillJones said:
    Atheists are supposed to be open minded and "progressive." Yet they have no tolerance for something that they can very easily ignore.

Atheists can be conservative in all aspects other than religion.

But, to appreciate both sides of the argument, suppose every time a non-atheist went to buy a cup of coffee they saw this:

Sometimes it is better to let people decide for themselves and not have the government promote one way or the other.

Personally, I have no problem with the motto, although it does complicate coin designs. Also note that the United States got along just fine for a long time without it on coins (at least one coin denomination, the Bison nickel, was issued without the motto up through 1938).

LOL. Everyone knows that Darwin was God's favorite son.

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

I am not offended if it's on or off, I guess I just don't care (doesn't affect my life.)

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our coins could instead feature portraits of Jesus and have a motto saying In Liberty We Trust. It could have happened.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is the time honored "In God We Trust, all others pay cash". Can't believe that hasn't been used here yet.

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I have no issue with atheists, but their compelling need to exert time and effort to try to change something that is completely innocuous confuses me.

Ah good, it's innocuous. If so, not having the motto also is (after all, the founding fathers didn't put it on coins, and that's telling given the coins they would have been familiar with). So we may just as well remove it in the name of removing some lettering and thus hopefully making better-looking coins?

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think about what would happen to coinage if the court went the other way!

Would the mint be forced to change the design mid-year?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

I'll be where the parties are being held >:) Hot and all <3

@Goldbully said:
    I for one really hope there isnt an eternal afterlife filled with a bunch of Church going types. And if there is, I really don’t want to end up there with them. I would miss my friends, I would take my chances with the alternative and try and work my way into management.

Crypto, stick to coins.....you are the best when it comes to Trade $1's.

• WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2018 5:39AM

Would you feel the same if it said "In Allah We Trust"? I still think it's much better to keep church and state separated and not pick winners and losers on a national/federal level based on one specific ancient myth with zero evidence, where there are thousands of ancient myths to choose from.

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravo! About the only thing I do trust. Trust and Government shall not be used in the same sentence.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

We should just go back on the gold standard and replace the motto with "In Gold We Trust". I'm sure God would understand.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

In my state on your car’s license plate you can replace the County of your residence with a IGWT sticker. This sticker really means I’m a Christian Republican and you’re not. For the last six years the state has given these stickers away at no cost even though our public schools and infrastructure are underfunded. I never really cared about IGWT on coins until the license plate sticker give away started , now I see the coins motto in a different light and it bothers me. I’ve become a proponent of seperation of Church and State and honestly IGWT is not an inclusive motto in my state, it’s become another political wedge issue.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2021 8:55PM

It worked for Rome!

Roman Empire Emperor Nero Sestertius - Roma Seated
    Bronze, 33mm, 22.48gm

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

@Crypto said:

Do most people believe? I am not so sure about that. If people really believed in all powerful space men, I would suspect they would do more walking the walk instead of talking the talk to keep them happy. Not to mention these Gods wouldn’t keep changing the rules to adapt to society.

From what I see is mostly people saying tired tropes to societally fit in and then do what they want, how they want. confident that the ever changing definition of religious compliance will come down to their level. And it typically does

Society is better off with various religions placating the masses but that doesn’t make the old fables true.

Don't conflate differences in opinion over what constitutes sin with differences of opinion in the existence of God. There is NO DOUBT that the vast majority (approximately 90%) of the population believes in some kind of God. Those polls are anonymous and there would be no advantage in lying. Those people also are human and have human failings and often have their own interpretations of morality.

So, for example, the MAJORITY of Catholics believe that premarital sex is not a sin. A huge minority if not an absolute majority of Catholics also believe that, at the very least, abortion is a forgivable sin. However, none of those people could legitimately be said to NOT believe in a God.

As I've said, I've long believed that IGWT does violate the Establishment clause and I'm surprised it has survived legal challenge. But at the same time, I would not pretend that many of my fellow citizens believe in some kind of God, even if their personal behavior is often reprehensible.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2018 8:16AM

There was no logical or any other reason at all to make changes. Unlike in Canada where they had to change it to be "gender neutral". :o
    Some hecklers always have to be right...
    see here
    [https://cnn.com/2018/02/01/americas/canada-gender-neutral-national-anthem-trnd/index.html]

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file