Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A Year of Gary Carter --- Day 365

Wishing Mr. Gary Carter a happy 56th Birthday and explaining what I am going to attempt to do over the next 365 days.

I have been wanting to try and get my parts of my collection scanned / or have pics taken for years now but have always found something else to do. So to keep me on task I am going to try and post a different item of my collection every day for the next year -- think of it as "A Year of Gary Carter".

I figure the hardest part is the scanning/photo taking effort. My scanner is a dinosaur ~ hopefully over the next year I will break down and get a new one. Some of my items will be routine, some you might have seen before, some will have a story behind it, some will be posted just to get an image up (hope these will be few and far between), some might be odd but all the items will be my stuff and mean something to me.

Mike

Day 1 -- April 8, 2010 (Gary Carter's Birthday)

The following items I consider the first* autographs I received from Gary Carter --- I sent Gary a letter and asked to him sign my 1982 Topps All Star Card -- he not only signed the card but included the signed photo. The photo and card were signed with a bright purple marker and framed. Little did I know at the time that sun and the lameo glass like picture frame would try and erase those sigs. They have always been the first items that I show anyone who asks about my collection and if I was forced to get rid of everything but 2 items these 2 would be the ones to stay with me.
* I did get an autograph card (Topps 1978) from Gary back in 1980 but traded a few months later with autos from Dave Winfield, Lee Mazzilli (autopen) and Pat Zachry (autopen) for 500 baseball cards (all different years) I can't remember if there was anyone good in that group but I when I was a kid it was quantity first then quality.

imageimage
Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

Comments

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first thing you should post is a copy of the restraining order Gary had placed on you after you were caught digging through his trash last year. image
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    can you provide any information on Gary's perm in the 80s?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>can you provide any information on Gary's perm in the 80s? >>

YOU ASKED FOR IT, SO HERE IT IS!

Before he got one, the first thing he did was ask his stylist. He told her every chemical process his hair had been through in the last couple years. The way he found out if his hair was damaged and couldn't withstand more chemical processing was to do the old float trick. He took a few strands of hair and put them in a glass of water. If they sank, this meant his hair was damaged and was soaking up moisture. If the strands floated, this meant his hair was healthy. HIS HAIR FLOATED, SO HE WENT FOR THE PERM.

It took one to two hours to perm his hair. His stylist applied a single chemical solution to break the structural bonds in his hair, and another called a "neutralizer." It took 28 hours to settle.

His first perm lasted six months.

When he first went to the stylist, he brought a picture or pictures with him of the type of wave he wanted. He knew that just telling his stylist what kind of curl he wanted would leave him in jeopardy of getting super-duper tight ringlets. Stylists can control the amount of wave they give you as well as the the part of the hair they want to perm. He wanted his stylist to choose the right-sized rods.

He had a sit down consultation beforehand because he heard that so many stylists will whisk you off to wet your hair without sitting down face-to-face for a good talk. He told his stylist not only what he wanted (he showed the pictures) but what he didn't want (i.e. the crimp-like curls of the 80s).

Gary knew that the tightness of the curl depended on the size of the rod, so he asked his stylist to show him the types of rods she would be using. He knew that the tightness of curls can vary on the size of the rod and how long the solution stays in.

He also knew that he had to prep his hair, so he used a moisturizing conditioner after he shampooed. He avoided deep-conditioning his hair for at least 24 hours before the perm, otherwise the perm may not take.

SOOOOOOO, you wanted to know .... now you know! LMAO
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "Gary" sure knows a lot about perms.

Happy Birthday Gary Carter and looking forward to scans from your collection.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Day 2 -- April 9, 2010 (Gary hit his 216th Homerun)

So what's the big deal about Gary's 216th HR -- well it was Mets Opening Day 25 years ago (April 9th 1985) I have been a Mets fan all my life and took a lot of crap since the Mets stunk for as long as I could remember being a fan (1976ish) and my favorite player was an Expo (which just added to the comments).

Now its 1985 ~ Gary is a Met and there is a feeling in the air that this might be the Mets year. Gary gets hit by a pitch in the first inning --- doubles in the 7th and after the Cards tie the game in the top of the 9th. Gary homers off of Neil Allen with 1 out in the bottom of the 10th to win the game. Could not ask for a better debut.

Here is a canceled envelope, a couple of ticket stubs and even though the CD was handed out in 2002 -- track 34 captures his homerun.

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Gary was a BIG part of those mid/late 80's Mets teams ... wish they had someone now behind the plate like him!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I think Gary Carter was one of the few 86 Mets who wasn't snorting coke or drinking a case of beer every night.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Gary Carter was one of the few 86 Mets who wasn't snorting coke or drinking a case of beer every night. >>

Sure glad he kept it to every other night
  • Options

If you want a REALLY good laugh, check the above link.
  • Options
    Day 3 -- April 10, 2010

Just a bit of an odd item today --- part of a 1983 Kelloggs sheet without the 3D plastic stuff added.

imageimage

• Options

If you want a REALLY good laugh, check the above link. >>

That is one of the most insane things I've ever seen. I had no idea John Olerud's girlfriend even had a prosthetic leg.
  • Options
    Day 4 -- April 11, 2010

Have only seen this pop up on ebay a handful of times -- maybe if I searched for Ken Griffy Jr. it might have popped up a few more.

1992 Canadian Diet Pepsi can

imageimage

• Options
    That Pepsi can is a kewl item!

What a coincidence that Keith (Cards) and Gary (Expos) are both on the same '83 sheet. What a huge part they were to the '86 magic!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Pepsi can, one of my favorite items as well. There is a color advertising piece that went with it that I have not been able to add to my collection yet.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Day 5 -- April 12, 2010

Picked this Japanese magazine up about 3 years ago --- seams to be a recap of the entire 1986 year. Also scanned a one of the pages.

• Options

<< <i>image >>

Garagilola: "You know Gary, I used to keep my hair permed constantly. NOW look at it!"

Gary: "My goodness wee jee willikers, Joe!! I would have killed myself years ago!"
  • Options
    Day 6 -- April 13, 2010

A Topps / Sports Nostalgia coffee mug (never used)
    Interesting to note that the Mug indicates that the firing days are limited to 30 but the official certificate indicates 90 -- not sure which one is correct and not sure how many were created.

(edit for date)

• Options
    Day 7 -- April 14, 2010

Here we have a complete 1987 Topps Sticker Album. Gary signed 3 times on the League Championship and World Series Pages -- sent this TTM back in 1988

(edit for date)

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    So, just to clarify,
    we're going to get 365 different posts on Gary Carter?
  • Options
    I couldn't believe it when I found out Carter's the manager of the Palm Beach Atlantic baseball team. A kid that graduated a few years ahead of me in high school is their starting catcher....says it's a dream come true! Could you imagine that? Playing catcher in college and having GARY CARTER as your manager? He's been dominating this season, but unfortunately the team isn't very good.
  • Options

<< <i>I couldn't believe it when I found out Carter's the manager of the Palm Beach Atlantic baseball team. A kid that graduated a few years ahead of me in high school is their starting catcher....says it's a dream come true! Could you imagine that? Playing catcher in college and having GARY CARTER as your manager? He's been dominating this season, but unfortunately the team isn't very good. >>

Hey Goot
    Have you had a chance to go to a game --- I am wondering on how he is with the fans.
    Mike

• Options

<< <i>So, just to clarify,
    we're going to get 365 different posts on Gary Carter? >>

I am going to try

• Options
    Keep 'em coming Mike, I look forward to seeing what you pull out of your collection each day.

Abe
  • Options

<< <i>

Hey Goot
    Have you had a chance to go to a game --- I am wondering on how he is with the fans.
    Mike >>

No, haven't made it to a game myself. Palm Beach is about 2 hours south of my hometown and I'm over at school in Tampa right now.

However, my dad went to go see them play against Florida Tech (my dad's an FIT alum) a few weekends ago and he said nobody approached him for autographs or anything. Doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't sign or stop for a pic, but nobody tried. Plus it was an away game for PBA.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I lived in Palm Beach County for about ten years and during Spring Trainings Carter would always sign for me. I don't have any of the items he signed for me when he was with the Expos, but around 1997 my sister-in-law was his waitress at the PGA National country club and he signed the tab with a real nice note for her. Fortunately, she gave it to me. Always seemed like a class guy to me. Actually, most of the old Expos were pretty good guys.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Day 8 -- April 15, 2010

I bet the question is What does Nebraska have to do with Gary Carter?
    The answer - absolutely nothing ~ that I know of
    Then why a Gary Carter Nebraska 93-95 license plate?
    This was one of those just got home at 2 am - from a party that started at 12 hours ago - let me quick check ebay - wow that is cool and I could use that - purchases.
    I have stopped all ebay buying after a night out when a bought that cannonball (another story / not Gary Carter related)
    I hope to one day get it signed and maybe that might make it a bit more collectible

(edit for date)

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageCarter items...image

I really like the Pepsi can and I think the license plate would look nice with his auto on it...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Day 9 -- April 16, 2010

A 1988 EPYX ~ Sporting News baseball game -- box, instructions and 5.25 floppy.
    I have never owned an Apple or PC back in 88 but would be interested to hear from someone if they ever had/played this.

imageimage

(edit for date)

• Options
    I like how in the late 80s, Gary's perm morphed into a perm-mullett
  • Options

<< <i>I like how in the late 80s, Gary's perm morphed into a perm-mullett >>

Sorry Walton, I'm not going to get into an explanation of that one! LMAO
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Permullet?
    Merm?
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Game should still run off a Mac just need a floppy disc drive.

Also alot of late 80's computer games (e.g. Beyond Zork - my recent trip down memory lane) are free and downloadable from different sites. This game may be out there for free as well.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why did the year change to 2011 after day 5?
  • Options

<< <i>Why did the year change to 2011 after day 5? >>

Good catch --- was watching "Lost" and might have flashed sideways

• Options
    Day 10 -- April 17, 2010

2 custom creations --- purchased the Ultra via an ad in one of the sport cards magazines (can't remember which 1) over 10 years ago ~ cost me $4.95 if I remember correctly.The more recent Sweet Spot was an ebay win last year and I think I paid $5.00 The Ultra card is made with acrylic and I needed to supply 2 cards ~ the Sweet Spot is made out of wood. I would have liked to have more made up but I lost contact with both sellers

• Options
    Day 11 -- April 18, 2010

This is a 2003 Expos season ticket used strip from the full season book -- I also have a handful of loose tickets and a complete book. I wish more teams would do this with their season tickets it adds a nice touch. I think the Braves did something where they used past Topps cards of their greatest players on their tickets.

• Options
    Day 12 -- April 19, 2010

For all you trivia fans here are 4 cards from the Trivial Pursuit All-Star Sports set that include questions about Gary Carter. Cards numbered 283, 632, 929 (2 questions on 1 card) and 999

• Options
    Day 13 -- April 20, 2010

1986 Polaroid ad with Carter and Gooden autos --- won this several years ago -- was included in a package of Carter related stuff. The seller was one of those "u-sell-it" store fronts and I was thrilled with the win ~ some of the other items will make there way here.

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    You have quite a Gary Carter collection. Did you see that his foundation has a sale going on with some great prices?

http://www.garycarter.org/home.html
  • Options

<< <i>You have quite a Gary Carter collection. Did you see that his foundation has a sale going on with some great prices?

http://www.garycarter.org/home.html >>

I have purchased items from his foundation and sent some of my own. I have always found the service excellent --- there are some VERY GOOD deals now.

• Options
    Mike, great poster, one of my favorites! Abe
  • Options
    Day 14 -- April 21, 2010

In 1989 Gary's face was splashed on their baseball products. This is the 1989 factory set ~~ he was also on the wax, cello and rack boxes.

Fleer also put out a very bland cardboard box factory set and I have always wondered which set do you have a better chance (if any) to pull a FF Billy Ripken or Marlboro Randy Johnson card. Maybe the board's FF Ripken expert, 1989FleerBillRipkencollector, has some experience and can weigh in.

• Options
    There is the Red ink on White cardboard factory set. Then there is the colorful box (pictured above). This is known as the Christmas set.

It's been assumed, based on procedures for other years and stated in a Beckett article that they were printed at the end of the year. So it's very likely they all will contain the Marlboro corrections etc., including the last FF version printed, the Black Box. My findings as well as other collectors have backed up this theory. Seems like only sellers of these sets will disagree. image

There are a few Black Box variations. 3. IIRC the factory sets (in my findings) contained the round edge jagged line.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    To add to your proof, several years ago I bought a case of the plain white box w/red print factory sets, and they all had the Black Box Ripken and the corrected Johnson cards.
  • Options
    Day 15 -- April 22, 2010

When these UD Authentics first came out back in 2003 I swore that I would not pick one up -- I didn't agree then and still don't today that they are "cards". Well so much for not picking one up --- they really look great and are packaged very well.
    I have no room to display it so the image will have to do for now

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Cool photos/scans.

Thanks for sharing.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>Day 15 -- April 22, 2010

When these UD Authentics first came out back in 2003 I swore that I would not pick one up -- I didn't agree then and still don't today that they are "cards". Well so much for not picking one up --- they really look great and are packaged very well.
    I have no room to display it so the image will have to do for now

image >>

I said the exact same thing! Was just looking at mine, still in the UD box yesterday! HAHA
  • Options
    Day 16 -- April 23, 2010

Always was a Monopoly fan growing up and have a few different "themed" games prior to this 2001 Mets one. Gary occupies the traditional Indiana Avenue spot and was wondering if PSA would grade the Title Deed card?
    I have seen 2 updated/changed Mets versions since 2001 not sure if Gary is featured in any of them.