Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Weird encounter with Johnny Bench yesterday - BAT PHOTOS ADDED

I went last night to the Boston University Bookstore for a book signing by Johnny Bench. I was planning on buying his book and having it signed, but my real goal was to have him sign my HOF bat. I've been working on this bat for about 15+ years, where I have been getting as many Hall of Fame people to sign it. I'm close to 30 now. (My experience has been that at book signings, usually the people will only sign their book and not other things, but I figured I'd take a chance.)

I went into the signing area and left the bat in my car, and figured I'd ask Bench to see if he'd sign it first. (It's pointless to ask bookstore people, since they'll just say no.) So I waited in the small line, went up to Bench, had him sign my book, then asked him:

Me: Mr. Bench, I have a bat out in my car that I've had about 30 Hall of Famers sign. I would be thrilled if you would sign it for me as well.
Bench: Ah, well, ask my son what he thinks (pointing to back of room).

His son is about 20 years old and goes to BU - hence the appearance there. I'm confused, but I do as he said and go talk to his son. I repeat the story to the son, and he says sure, although he's not sure why Johnny told me to ask him. I go back out to my car, get the bat, wait at the back until the last 10 people or so get their books signed, then I go up to the front where Bench is, by himself.

Me: Thanks to you and your son for agreeing to sign the bat for me; I greatly appreciate it.
Bench (taking my pen and signing my bat): My son told you I want fifty bucks for doing this, right?
Me: Excuse me?
Bench (somewhat snapping at me): I'm here to sign books, not your bat. I want fifty bucks.
Me: No one said that to me. I had no idea.
Bench (angry now): Don't give me that crap. If you've had 30 people sign this, you know how it works. You want it signed, you pay up. (He's now holding my bat, not giving it back.)
Me (opening my wallet and showing him): I've got 24 bucks on me; I came in with 50, but just spent 26 to buy your book. And honestly, I haven't paid anyone else to sign my bat.
Bench: So you think I'm here to just sign your bat for free? Ridiculous. (Rolls the bat back across the table at me.) And to think I tried to give you a break - go to my website next time, and you'd have to pay 100 bucks.
Me: So do you want my 24 bucks?
Bench: Get out of here, will ya?

My memories of The Baseball Bunch have just gone up in flames. Another hero shot down in my mind.

Comments

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, almost forgot - I'm sorry this happened to me.
  • Options
    Are you serious ? It's a joke, right ?
  • Options
    I am 10,000% serious.
  • Options
    that's it. i'm offing my Bench collection in favor of Biff Pocaroba. if i still collect Bench. image
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Bench is a real charmer. Is his head as large as it appears on television? I mean it looks to rival the gourd of Fred Flinstone.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    OUCH! Certainly a jerk move. I will say that, and I'm in no way defending him, it has to be awkward charging people most of the time through signing companies and then having people ask for stuff for free. I would just sign everything if I had the time and energy. He's surely not going to miss that $50.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    More like the Baseball "panties in a" Bunch
  • Options
    Wow, This story is almost to crazy to believe.

I am truly sorry this happened to you!
  • Options
    what a tool... does the man really need $50, maybe we should start a baord collection for him.
  • Options
    I've met a lot of HOF'ers over the years, to have them sign for me. I've never had a bad experience. But thats probably because I've PAID for EVERY one of the signatures. When you get too attached to a player, or start making them out to be more than they are ... you'll get disappointed eventually

Want me to tell you about my "get a free autograph" encounter with Clemens & Boggs, outside Tiger Stadium ?
  • Options

<< <i>Want me to tell you about my "get a free autograph" encounter with Clemens & Boggs, outside Tiger Stadium ? >>

Ummm, yes! Clemens is notorious for asking people for cash when you're the only one around - even if you're like 10 years old.

Edited for poor grammar - I just woke up.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    That's sad.

I quit.
  • Options
    Just to add something, which I'm most here are not really interested in, but the BEST GUYS & best autograph experiences have been with the older Hockey HOF'ers

Phil Esposito once took 5 minutes to convince me of the "right" type of Sharpie pen to use for a particular piece that i wanted for him to sign. He cared about how it would look like. Thats how Italians are :-)

The hockey guys seem more genuine & happy to sign (and most were dirt cheap prices)
  • Options
    My point was that, if he said he wanted cash up front, I could've had the opportunity to decide then if I wanted to pay $50 to have him sign it. After signing it THEN asking for $$, and getting annoyed when I didn't have it - not so cool.

I am aware of how card shows work and how players charge for autographs there, but I thought this might be different, and I had been told it'd be OK to get it signed by his son.

BTW, I collected autographs in Boston for about 15 years during the 80s and 90s, and NEVER had a player ask me for money like this, unless it was a fee-based show appearance. This was a new one for me.

As for Clemens and Boggs - despite all the stories - they used to be great about signing when they arrived at Fenway before games, when no one would be around, back in the mid-late 80s. At least that was my experience.
  • Options

<< <i>My point was that, if he said he wanted cash up front, I could've had the opportunity to decide then if I wanted to pay $50 to have him sign it. After signing it THEN asking for $$, and getting annoyed when I didn't have it - not so cool.

I am aware of how card shows work and how players charge for autographs there, but I thought this might be different, and I had been told it'd be OK to get it signed by his son.

BTW, I collected autographs in Boston for about 15 years during the 80s and 90s, and NEVER had a player ask me for money like this, unless it was a fee-based show appearance. This was a new one for me.

As for Clemens and Boggs - despite all the stories - they used to be great about signing when they arrived at Fenway before games, when no one would be around, back in the mid-late 80s. At least that was my experience. >>

I didnt mean to make it sound like it was YOUR fault. Not at all. You got jerked around, from what it sounds like
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    Well, the bat will always be a conversation piece as to why Bench's name isn't on it.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    <Get out of here, will ya?>

look at ut this way,now you can say you got cussed at by johnny benchimage
    i have almost the same story except its will bill mazeroki,and he was gonna get a beatdown for being a old pr ick and signing at a show i was promoting for a hour and then wanting to leave,i said -i dont think so, i paid you for 4 hours you best sitimage i got cussed at by him too,and he got it right back - but he sucks too, shouldnt even be in hof,must have boughth is way in - thats the 1st ive heard of johnny being a pri ck like that, ive never met him though, now i wouldnt want toimage
    for some reason,big red machine guys are tough signers and think the chit dont stink for some reason-they wernt that big and they sure asnt a machine, ol'sparky is the only decent one out of all of em leftimage
  • Options

<< <i>Well, the bat will always be a conversation piece as to why Bench's name isn't on it. >>

You mean on how he got Bench to sign it for free.

Edit to add: Bench was being a total jerk.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    So he didnt sign it? the way I read it initially ...I thought he signed it...I'm sure your not the first person he has done that with (the go check with my son bit)

Sounds like he wanted money for dinner....real lame...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Well, the bat will always be a conversation piece as to why Bench's name isn't on it. >>

Oh, I missed the part that he DID sign it.

Still...
  • Options
    you could have whomped his son in the head with it and said yer next gramps if you dont sign thisimage

i am now going to have a johnny bench sacrificial burning of reds 5x7 topps cards tonight,
    that does suck,like he needs the $ or something
    if it was willie mays,hed prob charge you 600$image he only wants 300$ a flat item nowimage
  • Options
    He DID sign it, right?
  • Options

<< <i>

Oh, I missed the part that he DID sign it.

Still... >>

Yep, he DID sign it, THEN asked for the money afterwards. Maybe he'll ask for the cash first next time.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Here is an option for you:

Sell the book on Ebay and mail Bench a copy of the Ebay sale page. If it sells for a lot, mention that you made a nice profit off him. If it sells for a little, mention that his auto isn't worth squat anymore.

Add a note that with all the money you spent over the years to watch him play, he should've paid you for his autograph.

Finally, tell him that Ron Burgundy will sic Baxter on him if he tries that stuff with him.

Burgundy.

Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    (taking my pen and signing my bat):
    yeah

and got cussed by the great johnny bench to boot-great story,what a guyimage
    congrats,at least you got him on it anyways -so thats 31 now on it?
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    That is ridiculous. I am surprised by Bench doing that. What a jerkoff move.
  • Options
    How about a picture of the bat w/ 31 HOFers??? Sounds really great!
  • Options
    i want to see the bench sig, see if its oozing with big red machine magic or somethingimage
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a crappy way for Bench to act. I would have gladly gave him $50 but I would have grabbed my check book out and asked what charity he wants the check made out to.

My late father met Bench back in the 70's and got him to sign a baseball and I recall my father saying Bench was very nice and chatted with him for a few minutes. I guess anyone can have a bad day or change of the worse. Eithey way, Bench is one of my all time favorites.

I wouldn't worry about the bad experience. Lets see a pic of the bat.

Brian
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    It's funny how stories like this totally erase my desire to collect certain players.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's funny how stories like this totally erase my desire to collect certain players. >>

If you heard all the stories, there would only be like 3 players you could collect. After I turned 16 I quit worrying about getting someone's auto, unless of course it's on a check written to me.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    did the sign the bat??
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

<< <i>How about a picture of the bat w/ 31 HOFers??? Sounds really great! >>

I'll take a couple of pics of the bat tonight when I'm home from work and post them later!
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I'll buy all Bench rookies that people want to sell now, lol.

On a related note, the only hall of famer I've actually met is Johnny Mize. It was about 15-16 years ago and I was the number one golfer on our high school team and had recently won the region tourney and got the opportunity to play with Johnny in a benefit golf tournament in our area. Well, to say the least, he was a grumpy old timer. I rode in the same cart with him and he complained about my driving the whole round. He only hit 2-3 tee shots and very few fairway shots. He basically just got out to putt because by this time he was very old and would pass away shortly after. He did sign some things and took pictures which was nice. He also smelled funny, kind of like a closet full of moth balls.
  • Options
    Right about now, Bench must have red & burning ears, and he has no idea why.
  • Options
    hes got a red burning 80 topps5x7 card too , i took picsimage
    went rather well id say ,ill put pics on ina little bit-
    p.s. -anybody wants one-that will be 50.00$image
  • Options
    I attend a handful of Texas Rangers games every year. It is not too uncommon to see Nolan Ryan sitting in the stands amongst the common folks. The first time I saw him he was only about 3 rows down from me and my wife. She had one brand new OMLB ball in her purse that we had bought to get an auto. It took about 3 Bud Lights to work up the courage to ask him for an auto during the game. He was more than happy to oblige and even told me thanks after signing it.
  • Options

<< <i>It's funny how stories like this totally erase my desire to collect certain players. >>

I did meet The Big Hurt at a movie theatre in the late 90's... he was a nice guy even though my buddy told him he was an injured-bum!

long story short... we were in line to buy popcorn or something and I noticed a large man behind us and it was Frank Thomas, I go to my buddy (who is huge cubs fan) quietly turn around slow Frank Thomas is behind us - He thought I was joking and said in a loud voice "Thomas is bum and always injured!"

Frank took it in stride and cracked a smile.
  • Options
    New sports lookalike.
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I attend a handful of Texas Rangers games every year. It is not too uncommon to see Nolan Ryan sitting in the stands amongst the common folks. The first time I saw him he was only about 3 rows down from me and my wife. She had one brand new OMLB ball in her purse that we had bought to get an auto. It took about 3 Bud Lights to work up the courage to ask him for an auto during the game. He was more than happy to oblige and even told me thanks after signing it. >>

That's awesome. You know, I bet the Rangers have asked him to oblige fans when he comes to the games. He still does consulting for them, no? I bet part of his deal is that he'll come out and shake hands with fans in the stands while watching the game 10 times/year. I'm really plesaed to hear he was a nice guy - he always seemed like it.

As far as good and bad stories go, I have too many to tell but here are my top 4-5 good and bad guys in person (and I've met them all multiple times to make up my mind on this)

Good: Phil Mickelson (just the best), Joe Calzaghe (#1 P4P fighter in the world right now), George Kell, Gary Player, David Robinson
    Bad: Tiger Woods (has never looked anyone in the eye in his life), Bernard Hopkins, Raymond Floyd, Mike Weir
  • Options
    before-nice and fresh
    crumpled it
    make a ball
    set fire
    going good
    i like this one,its pretty
    toast
    that was fun, johnny made me smell like smoke thoughimage
  • Options

<< <i>I attend a handful of Texas Rangers games every year. It is not too uncommon to see Nolan Ryan sitting in the stands amongst the common folks. The first time I saw him he was only about 3 rows down from me and my wife. She had one brand new OMLB ball in her purse that we had bought to get an auto. It took about 3 Bud Lights to work up the courage to ask him for an auto during the game. He was more than happy to oblige and even told me thanks after signing it. >>

When I was about 16 I went to a Rangers game. Nolan was signing for fans along the bullpen of the old Arlington Stadium. He came to where we were and it came a torrentional downpour he told us as soon as it stopped he would be back to sign for us. He stood just inside the bullpen for at least 30 minutes and then stuck his head out told us he was sorry and had to go in for the pre-game meeting. No auto, but a great experience anyway.
  • Options

<< <i>New sports lookalike.
    imageimage >>

Thats kinda dirty
  • Options
    rube26105

after burning that
    how would you feel if you found out that the Bench story was a hoax :-)
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    that is a depressing story... what a bummer.. I always liked bench.. but that made me a little sick
    and changed my view of him
  • Options
    Geez, I just bought a Bench Auto the other day for $42.

Why's he gotta be like that image

Edit to add: RUBE ???
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    That burned Bench should be submitted for grading. Is there an incinerated qualifier?
  • Options
    Right about now, Bench must have red & burning ears, and he has no idea why.

Krylon?

• Options
    i have about 50 more of them it reds5x7 team sets image
    think i can sub some game used ashes with proof of a card sacrificeimage
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Should we start a share your experience thread. We could have a good thread and a bad thread.

Good - I was at the Staples Center in LA the night they would retire Wayne Gretzkys jersey. My season seats are in the first row over the tunnel where the zamboni and celebrities enter the arena. Before the ceremony was to start Gretzky enters the tunnel surrounded by security. From above I lower my tickets with a paper clip holding a sharpie down near him and yell out "hey Wayne, please sign my tickets" The security guys look up and say - " hey what are you doing - stop that ! " Gretzky looks over and starts laughing and says "no wait let me sign that" and takes the sharpie and signs my tickets and gives me a smile and a wave. Everyone in my row was laughing at me before the game when I told them what I was going to do. After I did it everyone was jealous !

Sorry - not hijacking the thread - just cant help but share this experience.

ps. I did the exact same thing the night they retired Robitaille's jersey and ------ same result.
    Staples section 114 row 14

it was image
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax