Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Weird encounter with Johnny Bench yesterday - BAT PHOTOS ADDED

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    ::in Wesley Snipes' circa White Men Can't Jump voice:: It's PRETTY, it's SOOO PRETTY
  • Options
    When 5/3 bank opened its doors in Louisville, a family member who worked there took me to a big celebration party that Bench was going to be at. I was a kid at the time, but I knew who he was. I took my autograph book and a sharpie for him to sign. When I met him I handed him the book and the sharpie. He gave me the sharpie back and signed with a crappy ink pen. The auto has now faded. I've never liked Bench because of that experience.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunate incident, I could not imagine how shocked i'd be.

I'd have to agree that hockey players tend to be the most courteous and kind professionals around.

I've met a handful of NHL'ers and it's the same good story, I remember as a kid how many Junior A hockey players on the verge of playing NHL took the time to play pick up hockey with the kids, sign auto's and just be a down to earth human being.

That Johnny Bench makes me sick. How pathetic.

Did I read that Mantle was an egomaniac also? I've always thought he was good people...

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Even if it was a communication issue between his son...the way it sounded like Bench reacted was not acceptable.
    I can respect a man for being business minded however he did not handle it very professionally.

Unbelievable...

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭

<< <i>Even if it was a communication issue between his son...the way it sounded like Bench reacted was not acceptable.
    I can respect a man for being business minded however he did not handle it very professionally.

Unbelievable... >>

Johnny Bench is not a businessman. He's a man with no marketable skills other than still being a good memory to many people.

If he was a businessman, he'd realize that and try to preserve it in as many minds as possible.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

Somehow, I feel this thread needs to find its way into the email-box - and the mail-box - of Mr. Bench.

In fact, I hereby extend my personal invitation to him to come here and tell us "his side of the story."

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    me too storm-maybe bench could get a clue to his personality that way image

thats a nice bench auto you got there
    this is a great thread
    theres alot of great guys on that batimage
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Im for the penny thing too or at least everyone thorwing in a buck and have him sign a printed copy of this thread.

Personally incribed "Scooter, Sorry I happed to you" Johnny Bench

Actually all we need is $40 bucks Huge head catcher homepage link

Benches Addy from Sports Collectors.net

Johnny Bench Enterprises
    3899 Ridgedale Dr
    Cincinnati, OH 45247

EDIT: Very nice Bat by the way
  • Options
    nice signatures on that bat ...

just an observation, but it seems those players that sign for free usually take the time to sign a very readable autograph.

cheers
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>I think the OP should be mad at the son and not at J. Bench.

Bench signs auto's for a fee. His son should have mentioned the price to you.

Communication is the problem here, Bench and his son need to get together.

Sorry if I don't see it the same way as some here.

Steve >>

I totally agree with Steve, clear miscommunications and faulty assumptions on everyone's aprt. Despite being a fan for almost 40 years, I have never had any interest in getting an autograph from anyone, not even from Bench or Mays. If did, I would expect to pay quite a bit.
  • Options

<< <i>Right about now, Bench must have red & burning ears, and he has no idea why.

Krylon? >>

LOL, this was the best post of this thread and y'all missed it. image
  • Options
    Stories like this one make me remember why I don't collect all that many autographs. From what I have heard, your Bench experience isn't all that uncommon. It's much better to not meet some of your childhood heroes and that way you can still pretend you don't know they are morons....
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I had a similar experience with my bat and $50. Needless to say she also learned to get the money upfront.
  • Options

<< <i>I had a similar experience with my bat and $50. Needless to say she also learned to get the money upfront. >>

i hope the ink isn't permanent. image
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭

Steve >>

BTW this exactly what I said a few posts back. Also btw, I know that Frank Robinson was no freebie either
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>When 5/3 bank opened its doors in Louisville, a family member who worked there took me to a big celebration party that Bench was going to be at. I was a kid at the time, but I knew who he was. I took my autograph book and a sharpie for him to sign. When I met him I handed him the book and the sharpie. He gave me the sharpie back and signed with a crappy ink pen. The auto has now faded. I've never liked Bench because of that experience. >>

Sharpies aren't for autograph books (bleeds thru) , actually ink works better (he did you a favor; assuming this is a true story)
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Stories like this one make me remember why I don't collect all that many autographs. From what I have heard, your Bench experience isn't all that uncommon. It's much better to not meet some of your childhood heroes and that way you can still pretend you don't know they are morons.... >>

Even as a kid in the 1970s, I didn't think much about sports "heroes". I liked seeing them play, esp. Bench, but didn't have many delusions that they could do no wrong. They are what they are and I can't change them. To believe, esp. as an adult, that sports players are somehow elevated and should be worshiped/cherished is simply mind-boggling.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    You think Bench is bad...

Try Reggie Jackasson
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>

Steve >>

BTW this exactly what I said a few posts back. Also btw, I know that Frank Robinson was no freebie either >>

I disagree. Well, I agree it was a possible a communication problem with Bench and his son, but that it was not the OP problem or fault. The OP did everything the right way. He did not bring the bat to the table till he was given permission. He followed Bench instructions (ask his son) and Bench created the scene. Bench has no right to go off on me because of a miscommunication between him and his son, if you want to call it that, neither does he have the right to go off on the OP. I use to be an auto hound and most players will almost always sign for free when not a show table. If not, no big deal. Bench could have said either "No" or "I want $50." Instead he said, "Ask my son." What Bench did was try to change the agreement AFTER he signed the bat.

Also according to Bench, he wants $100 on his website, so what are the odds of his son even coming up with a $50 figure? That was a second thought of Bench I believe.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    How would you feel if he PERSONALIZED it? IF I was him I would sign ALL free autos that way. image
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options

<< <i>When 5/3 bank opened its doors in Louisville, a family member who worked there took me to a big celebration party that Bench was going to be at. I was a kid at the time, but I knew who he was. I took my autograph book and a sharpie for him to sign. When I met him I handed him the book and the sharpie. He gave me the sharpie back and signed with a crappy ink pen. The auto has now faded. I've never liked Bench because of that experience. >>

BTW how does 'crappy ink' pen' fade' in an autograph book? Can you provide a scan?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What Bench did was try to change the agreement AFTER he signed the bat.

You don't know that for sure. And I never said the OP did anything wrong.

And yes, if Bench is going to tell a person to "ask my son" and then say "didn't he tell you"?

Then IMO he and his son need to get together.

Again, the OP did not do anything wrong and I thought I made that clear in my original post.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    neither does he have the right to go off on the OP.

That goes without saying.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭
    Very nice bat!!!! Those autographs look great!

You got his autograph, it was free, and it looks great. Mission accomplished.

Who's next to autograph it????
  • Options
    not even from Bench or Mays. If did, I would expect to pay quite a bit.

ol willie only charges 300$ a flat nowimage they sey hey kidisnt all that to me lol- and i need one for my 52's-afraid to send it , might not get it back,that would stinkimage

that sure is a nice bench auto you got there haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

<How would you feel if he PERSONALIZED it>
    i believe id probably be on the news for putting a dent in his head with it
    whatever happened happened, ive never met johnny and i wasnt there, but its a really great story and at least you got the auto on your bat, are there others you are going for ?did you get them all in person or send away some?
    over 100 posts ont it image
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW this exactly what I said a few posts back. Also btw, I know that Frank Robinson was no freebie either >>

Yep, he was one of the few I paid for on here. A lot of these came from a few Old Timers games at Fenway back in the late 80s - early 90s (hence you'll see some of the sigs have faded a bit; they were signed 15-20 years ago, and I didn't know proper maintenance to prevent fading back then).

I hadn't added more than 2-3 names on here in the past 5 years; I figured I'd try with Bench since it seemed like a possibility. If this is what getting an autograph is like these days, this bat is going back in the closet for at least another 5 years.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How would you feel if he PERSONALIZED it? IF I was him I would sign ALL free autos that way. image >>

I love personalized autographs, since I'm not getting this bat signed to re-sell it. I would love it if it were done that way for free...
  • Options
    had a less than pleasurable time visiting with F. Robi as well.....just a grouch, really when i tried to briefly discuss his playing days in LaLaLand.....musta been the huge line behind me. image

back to Bench bashing.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I got my Mays signature for less than $10 as a kid...
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im sure alot of these old timers have attitudes because of the crazy money that sportsmemorabilia brings and the fact that these current ballplayers are making ridiculas money- you know guys like Adrien Beltre that sign ginormous multi million dollar contracts and suck.
  • Options
    personalizations cost 10$ more-c/o johnny kid image
    alot of them are like that too, not kidding a bit
    like if you want hof/golden glove,to stinky,whatever they want more $
  • Options

<< <i>What Bench did was try to change the agreement AFTER he signed the bat.

You don't know that for sure. And I never said the OP did anything wrong.

And yes, if Bench is going to tell a person to "ask my son" and then say "didn't he tell you"?

Then IMO he and his son need to get together.

Again, the OP did not do anything wrong and I thought I made that clear in my original post.

Steve >>

Okay, I will give you, according to the OP, he tried to change the agreement while or after, but either is basically the same thing. And no I do not know that for sure, as in I was not there. But I do not think the OP is lying.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    I had Willie Mays signa bat ... he was such a tool ... I sold it.

That's one blazer Rose Rube ! ... er, Bench

cheers
  • Options
    Check out this interview of Bench at Fenway the other night. I think he must be on medication or something.

Bench Losing It?
  • Options

<< <i>I'm in for the penny thing too. My only requests are that we mix in a bunch of Canadian pennies and then whoever is to ship them, has his dog pee on them before he packs them up! >>

If we go with some Canadian coins, count me in for a few more bucks. I need to see what I have.
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm in for the penny thing too. My only requests are that we mix in a bunch of Canadian pennies and then whoever is to ship them, has his dog pee on them before he packs them up! >>

If we go with some Canadian coins, count me in for a few more bucks. I need to see what I have. >>

I have a mostly complete dollar I am willing to add to the cause. I know it is not change, but it is so torn and since it is missing a couple pieces, only tape holds it together, I have not tried to spend it.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Check out this interview of Bench at Fenway the other night. I think he must be on medication or something.

Bench Losing It? >>

wow
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Check out this interview of Bench at Fenway the other night. I think he must be on medication or something.

Bench Losing It? >>

wow >>

Seems like he was drunk to me...but it could be medication. They should get some hot blonde to interview Namath and Bench together after a few drinks.

How many people do you think have wanted their son to become a catcher? I can't imagine that being any dad's dream....but who knows.
  • Options
    I think he must be on medication or something.

he talks so fast he sound like a speed head lol-does he always talk a mile a minute?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think he must be on medication or something.

he talks so fast he sound like a speed head lol-does he always talk a mile a minute? >>

I think he is a crack-head.
  • Options

Bench Losing It? >>

time to bench Johnny ... was it 10 cent beer night ?
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    he probably took a few hits of the registry, i heard it's powerful
  • Options
    It would have been funny if she would have dropped a question on him about Pete Rose when he was in the middle of acting like an idiot on TV. He probably would have shown his Mr. Hyde then.
  • Options
    I think I figured it out. Bench is trying to create stories so he can write something in his sequel.
  • Options
    maybe he can start walking up and down the steet acting lost & crazy like that old mob don in ny that always wore a bathrobe and acted nuts they could never pin anything on image
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Steve Garvey hit on my ex wife at the All Star Fan Fest in Colorado, back in '98....

....in front of me.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    did you punch him in the face? haaaaaaaaaaaaaa- he can have my x-wife - she fat and ugly and looks like a witch on halloween 24/7image
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>Steve Garvey hit on my ex wife at the All Star Fan Fest in Colorado, back in '98....

....in front of me. >>

+1 I dislike Steve Garvey even more than before if that is possible....
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve Garvey: Best Head of Hair in MLB history