Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Weird encounter with Johnny Bench yesterday - BAT PHOTOS ADDED

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Steve Garvey hit on my ex wife at the All Star Fan Fest in Colorado >>

I have mentioned this before, but Arod offered his batting gloves to my wife if he could see her breasteses. We left the stadium with a pair of Arod batting gloves.
  • Options
    I've got a Ted Williams glove ... ISTHTU
  • Options
    How appropriate that 2 of the biggest jerks in the world, Bench and Yastrzemski, signed next to each other.

Nice bat
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Scoot in the OP you told Bench 'I honestly have never paid for a signature'

Now later in this thread you claim to have paid for a few.

That confuses me, did I misunderstand you?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Wow I just read this. I'm glad you got it signed, and hell with him.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Scoot in the OP you told Bench 'I honestly have never paid for a signature'

Now later in this thread you claim to have paid for a few.

That confuses me, did I misunderstand you?

Steve >>

Hi Steve,

I did actually say to Bench that I hadn't paid for any of the signatures on the bat, but that wasn't 100% true. There were about 4 on the bat (Frank Robinson, Yaz, Steve Carlton and one other I believe that I'm forgetting now) whom I did pay for. So I did exaggerate a bit to Bench in my attempt to make a point. But most (85%) were obtained for free....
  • Options
    I also have a problem with Bench asking for the money because why tell the OP
    to ask the son? If he is going to have the OP interact with the son the son should have collected the money.

Bench's job is to sign, the agent collects the dough.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    <I have mentioned this before, but Arod offered his batting gloves to my wife if he could see her breasteses. We left the stadium with a pair of Arod batting gloves.>
    i wanted to say 150 too,should have did it last night when i was 148 and nobody was on image

just wait till 200 onthe best thread ever
  • Options
    I guess Johnny wasn't lying to me when he said he gets $100 to sign a bat through his website. Here's the link:

Auto prices through Johnnybench.com
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line - I never have and never will ask anyone for their autograph outside of their "venue"or outside an autograph situation. In all fairness to the athletes, I've been in restaurants, especially at the racetrack, whereby the athlete sits down to dinner and is "bugged" by those wanting an autograph - It's got to be annoying to the point where some develop an "attitude" about autographs. That being said, in this venue whereby there was a book signing, there was nothing wrong with asking for the bat autograsph in the respectful way it was done, and if Bench didn't want to do it then he could have easdily refused rather than creating the situation.

Frankly, having a long career as a MLB catcher, certainly can't be condusive to enjoying a pain free body in later years. I can only imagine, at Bench's age, the various pain he probably is in constantly, and no doubt the pain medications and other drugs have an influence on his behavior, not that it should be an excuse, but just a reason for it. In any event, Bench still acted like a punk....and the OP did absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever.

Be interesting if Bench read this thread, and maybe post and offer an apology, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Every time I see a picture of Johnny Bench, I am reminded of that Bill Cosby routine where he was describing the birth of his first child, and how the doctor was staring at his wife's spread you-know-what waiting for the baby to come out...

"And the doctor is sitting there like Johnny Bench!"

Here's the youtube of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-AG_yF1Uw

Skip to about 1:15. image
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Check out this interview of Bench at Fenway the other night. I think he must be on medication or something.

Bench Losing It? >>

wow >>

Seems like he was drunk to me...but it could be medication. They should get some hot blonde to interview Namath and Bench together after a few drinks.

How many people do you think have wanted their son to become a catcher? I can't imagine that being any dad's dream....but who knows. >>

Well, if all this took place at Fenway, then it would be Heidi Watney that would be interviewing them.

• Options
    she can interview me anytimeimage who's johnny i forget- nice eyes-maybe thats why he was so flusteredimage
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    so we doing the 5,000 pennies thing?

Rube, you in charge of it? That way you can include the burnt Bench card!

Will they fit in a Flat Rate priority box?

I'll donate a few bux. Just give me your paypal address.

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Count me in on the penny thing too. What a jerk.
  • Options
    Is someone going to print this thread to include with the pennies?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is someone going to print this thread to include with the pennies? >>

I'm hoping Rube handles this!
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>Im for the penny thing too or at least everyone thorwing in a buck and have him sign a printed copy of this thread.

Personally incribed "Scooter, Sorry I happed to you" Johnny Bench

Actually all we need is $40 bucks Huge head catcher homepage link

Benches Addy from Sports Collectors.net

Johnny Bench Enterprises
    3899 Ridgedale Dr
    Cincinnati, OH 45247

EDIT: Very nice Bat by the way >>

Don't bother with it. I sent him a check for $50 along with my card two years ago- nothing. Sent another check and card six months after that- nothing.

Then again, a box of 5,000 pennies would stick out like a sore thumb. Surely someone at JBE would take notice.

So, in the off chance that they do and in the off chance that this thread is printed and included in the box...

F-U JOHNNY BENCH!
    imageRIP
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From his website:

Over the years Johnny has devoted many hours to speaking engagements and personal appearances, entertaining and inspiring hundreds of audiences across the country. Johnny has been a guest speaker for numerous corporations, including Panasonic, Compaq, Motorola, Wal-Mart, Verizon, Nokia, Delta, Procter & Gamble, John Hanc**k and Arthur J. Gallagher to mention just a few.

Johnny has also taken part in many corporate golf outings, Baseball Memorabilia Shows and other public appearances. Johnny is not only a sports legend and role model, but is also a gifted and compelling speaker, and uses his high-energy personality to inspire audiences to make their own dreams come true.

Using a blend of sincerity, credibility and wit, Johnny is able to move easily from the world of sports and entertainment to civic involvement, from culture to business. He is a symbol of winning through hard work, as outlined in his presentation featuring the Vowels of Success, which highlights easy to remember motivational tips.

Johnny's appearances are not simply limited to corporate events. He is also happy to play golf and socialize with corporate clients or customers. Or, why not have Johnny in your next Trade Show Booth to sign autographs, pose for photographs, and meet and greet potential customers.

If you or your organization are interested in having Johnny as a Guest Speaker, or if you would like Johnny to appear at a Baseball Memorabilia Show or other function, please fill out the form listed below the Vowels of Success, and one of our representatives will be in touch with you shortly.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    [drooling]+1 for Heidi[/drooling]
  • Options

<< <i>Every time I see a picture of Johnny Bench, I am reminded of that Bill Cosby routine where he was describing the birth of his first child, and how the doctor was staring at his wife's spread you-know-what waiting for the baby to come out...

"And the doctor is sitting there like Johnny Bench!"

Here's the youtube of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-AG_yF1Uw

Skip to about 1:15. image >>

That was one of the best stand up acts ever. "I got some ice cream. I got some ice cream. And you can't have none..."
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Heidi Heidi Heidi Hei...
    Heidi Heidi Heidi Ho...
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Maybe we just need to start another thread about autograph experiences?

I'll throw another one in.

Wife and I are in Dallas for the Rangers/Yankees 3 game series about 5 years ago. We happen to stay at the same hotel as Hank Blalock. He comes out to the pool when we were leaving. I go to the room and get the program from the night before and a sharpie. He says "Sorry, my hands are wet. Maybe next time". He hadn't been in the pool yet.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    When I was nine, I asked Sparky Lyle for an autograph. This was about four years after he had won the Cy Young. He was super cool and signed a 3X5 for me. I never, ever asked another person for an autograph, because I'm not nine years old anymore.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options

<< <i>When I was nine, I asked Sparky Lyle for an autograph. This was about four years after he had won the Cy Young. He was super cool and signed a 3X5 for me. I never, ever asked another person for an autograph, because I'm not nine years old anymore. >>

But yet you collect cards.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I met Bench at a celebrity golf tournament a few years back in Dallas. Was a nice guy that time. Would autograph anything you wanted as long as it wasn't baseball related and would sign multiples as well. Would also talk with you.

Got a signed rookie card through the Johnny Bench Enterprises as well, but had to pay for that one, but I knew that going in so it was ok. Quick turnaround and nice signature.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Tell ya what i would have done--if it hasn't been mentioned already....

You stated that you came in with $50 and then was left with $24 after buying the book... I would have made sure Bench see me cash the book back in for a refund and walk back over to the table and say "Here's your $50 Mr. Bench"!!

What a tool!!image
  • Options
    seems alot of the big red machine guys backin the day are pr ic ks in person, ol sparky is the best one for autos out of all of them!!!!
    hes did more autos on scn alone than anbody on there i think,last night it was at 1700+,hes got parkinsons too,think he would quit but he keeps on pluggin awayimage
    some of these guys are some serious moneygrubbers mays is the tops i think and mccovey
  • Options
    Just incase Mr. Moneygrubber(bench) reads this:
    I have more respect for Rose than you! You should be very ashamed raising your child with this thinking, if that was the case. I am more than willing to chip in on the penny fund.
  • Options
  • Options
    This post was supposed to say that we should raise actual funds and donate them to something insane, like the neonazi fund, in benches name. TMZ would love it and want TO know the story behind it.

Buck Fench!
  • Options
    Buck Fench!

imageimage haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa thats actually a pretty good idea!
  • Options
    Some of you guys simply amaze me. So Bench is a money grubber?

Lets look at some facts, first off his Auto has value, if it did not the OP would not want it.

Secondly, once that bat gets the auto its value rises (yeah I read the OP will never sell it)

Bench may be a nasty person but so what? I wonder if the above poster in the same position as Bench
    would simply just give away his time and items of value?

Do some of you guys work? I bet you all expect to be paid. Why should Johnny Bench be treated differently?

The pile on mentality of the forum also amazes me. We heard one side of a story, one in which a statement was found to
    be later shown not correct.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Some of you guys simply amaze me. So Bench is a money grubber?

Lets look at some facts, first off his Auto has value, if it did not the OP would not want it.

Secondly, once that bat gets the auto its value rises (yeah I read the OP will never sell it)

Bench may be a nasty person but so what? I wonder if the above poster in the same position as Bench

Do some of you guys work? I bet you all expect to be paid. Why should Johnny Bench be treated differently?

The pile on mentality of the forum also amazes me. We heard one side of a story, one in which a statement was found to

Steve >>

Bench, or his son, should have stated the cost upfront, not as services were being rendered.
  • Options

I agree with Steve.

Paying our sports heroes for their auto does seem like the way we do it nowadays. He was there to promote a book, nothing else.

Miscommunication leads to a misunderstanding and bad feelings. Guys like him should have a sign hanging from the table to give intstructions for memorabilia sigs.

I would have been upset also, It's not easy to approach people for special favors or requests, and it really sucks when it turns out bad.

The sight of the scooters bat may have been what pissed Johnny off, lol.

That is one nice bat image

<< <i> My memories of The Baseball Bunch have just gone up in flames. Another hero shot down in my mind. >>

I honestly believe that if I were you scooter, I'd have sort of an evil grin everytime I saw Johnnys sig, ha ha... the cheque is in the mail Johnny.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of you guys simply amaze me. So Bench is a money grubber?

Steve >>

I believe you are missing a large part of the point, here. It is not about the $50. It is about being an ass to the very folks who made the game (and more importantly the money and celebrity) possible for you, the fans. Without fans, Bench's signature would be worth very little to begin with. You can charge all you want for your services. There is ZERO room for being a jerk about it.
  • Options

<< <i>Do some of you guys work? I bet you all expect to be paid. Why should Johnny Bench be treated differently?

Steve >>

I've always felt that celebrities, (sports, hollywood, political, or otherwise) have a responsibility to their fans. They did get paid, they make millions, and part of earning their pay includes signing an autograph or making an appearance occasionally and at least pretending like they appreciate fan support. The reason why we idolize early sports figures like Ruth or Gehrig is because they understood this. The reason why we hate most modern sports figures is because they have zero appreciation for the fans that pay their salary and only care about themselves and how much additional money they can squeeze from their "fans".
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I think scooter couldn't have done a better job with his request for his autograph (leaving it in the car etc..)

Bench should have either said/done the following...

A) sure I'll sign your bat, but only after I'm done here.. thanks for buying my book I hope you enjoy it.. come back at this time to get it signed or just wait around..
    B) sure I'll sign your bat but just so you know I charge $50 for my autograph though
    C) as soon as Bench found out that his son didn't tell scooter anything about a fee after he signed it he should have said 'my son was supposed to tell you that I charge X amount for my autograph but since you didn't know and I already signed your bat don't worry about it..'

Bottom line... Signing the bat first with scooter not knowing anything about there being any fee then griping about getting paid for the autograph after is complete bullsh.t.. Johnny Bench is a big hot pile of bull sh.t.

- Garret
  • Options
    A conversation father and son Bench had over dinner that evening...

BENCH: So what was the deal with that guy with the bat?
    SOB: He asked if it was OK for you to sign it.
    BENCH: What did you say?
    SOB: I said it would be OK.
    BENCH: You didn't tell him about the fifty bucks?
    SOB: No, I figured that since he bought a book that you wouldn't mind.
    BENCH: That's not how it should be. You know how much money he's gonna make when he sells that?
    SOB: What do you mean?
    BENCH: Bullsh*t if you think he won't sell it at some point. Why should I give the guy extra money?
    SOB: He seemed like a nice guy.
    BENCH: Maybe he is, but most of these guys'll tell you anything.
    SOB: OK, sorry. Next time I'll ask for the money.
    BENCH: Please do. You kinda made me look like a real jack*ss out there.
    SOB: Sorry.
    BENCH: You're picking up dinner.
    SOB: Alright.
    BENCH: Alright, what?
    SOB: Alright, sir.
    BENCH: OK, now go get me a Whiskey.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm assuming if this conversation were to continue, his drunken Harry Carey impersonation would follow.
  • Options

<< <i>I think scooter couldn't have done a better job with his request for his autograph (leaving it in the car etc..)

Bench should have either said/done the following...

A) sure I'll sign your bat, but only after I'm done here.. thanks for buying my book I hope you enjoy it.. come back at this time to get it signed or just wait around..
    B) sure I'll sign your bat but just so you know I charge $50 for my autograph though
    C) as soon as Bench found out that his son didn't tell scooter anything about a fee after he signed it he should have said 'my son was supposed to tell you that I charge X amount for my autograph but since you didn't know and I already signed your bat don't worry about it..'

Bottom line... Signing the bat first with scooter not knowing anything about there being any fee then griping about getting paid for the autograph after is complete bullsh.t.. Johnny Bench is a big hot pile of bull sh.t.

- Garret >>

Thanks Knuckles. That summed up the whole situation as best as it possibly could have been done. If A, B or C had happened, I would've been cool with it, and the encounter never would've made the boards here. But Option D - to start squawking for money after signing my bat - was not the right choice.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm assuming if this conversation were to continue, his drunken Harry Carey impersonation would follow. >>

Two hours later, at the bar...

BENCH: Bartender! Another shot for me and my son! He's paying!
    SON OF BENCH (SOB): Dad! Come on! You're making yourself look stupid.
    BENCH: Stupid? I look stupid? You missed out on an easy fifty bucks and I'M the stupid one?
    SOB: Give it a break, already! Jeez!
    BENCH: You know, we should have aborted you.
    SOB: What?
    BENCH: If I knew you'd turn out this way, we would have.
    SOB: What the f***, dad?
    BARTENDER: Mr. Bench, please keep it down or we'll have to ask you to leave.
    BENCH: Nobody tells Johnny Bench when to leave! Johnny Bench leaves when he wants to leave!
    BARTENDER: Mr. Bench, please.
    BENCH: Oh, f*** you, and your stupid bar. I don't need you or your watered down drinks.
    SOB: Uh, dad, those are straight Whiskey shots.
    BENCH: F*** you, too.
    SOB: Dad, let's go, you're drunk and you're lowering your autograph value.
    BENCH: How much lower can it go than ZERO, Mr. Charity Boy!
    SOB: Give it a rest. I said I was sorry, and I paid for dinner, and the twenty shots you've had. I think I've made up for it.
    BENCH: Yeah, you're a good kid! I didn't mean that stuff about aborting you.
    SOB: Don't worry about it.
    BENCH: But, you know, we DID think about it.
    SOB: Great, thank you for not aborting me.
    BENCH: Your mother was the one. She was worried you'd ruin her figure, and you kinda did. But hey, that's life, whaddya gonna do?
    SOB: Wow, now I really feel good.
    BENCH: Have you ever heard me do Harry Carey?
    SOB: Only a million times.
    BENCH: Take me out to the bookstore!
    SOB: Dad...
    BENCH: Take me out to the crowds! Buy my book and autograph!
    SOB: Dad!
    BENCH: You can get a free autograph on your bat!
    BARTENDER: Get him out of here. NOW.
    SOB: OK...
    BENCH: My son is stupid, everyone! I don't even think he's mine! Or his mother's!
    SOB: Dad, let's go.
    BENCH: Who wants some Krylon! The Baseball Bunch! Woo-hoo!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...There is ZERO room for being a jerk about it. ..."

/////////

That sorta sums up my view.

Knuckles also provided adequate escape routes for JB.

scooter should probably have avoided the "I never paid for any of the other autos" line.
    It would have been better to just say, "I'm terribly sorry Mr. Bench, your son didn't tell
    me and I don't have that much money with me."

BUT, no matter what scooter may have done "wrong," JB should have sense enough
    not to express his true feelings to his "customers."

JB could have laughed the whole thing off. "My son is going to bankrupt us," or
    any number of fun and gracious cracks would have changed the ENTIRE perception
    that this thread is perpetuating.

If JB had simply told the OP, "Don't worry about it, enjoy your bat," a whole other
    story would be getting told here.

Stars cannot afford to "be themselves." They need to be better than themselves,
    when dealing with their CUSTOMERS.

jrinck writes funny stuff.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    jrnick's dialogues might be some of the funniest stuff I've read in a long time! Great work!!
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Great stuff.

I forgot about "The Baseball Bunch" Even as a kid I thought that was a very cheesy show. I wonder how drunk Johnny was when they were filming?
  • Options
    Thanks. image

Two weeks later...

Bench is on the phone with Son of Bench (SOB)...

BENCH: Hey, can you come over? I got this weird box in the mail. It's heavy, and it says "You Suck!" all over the outside of it.
    SOB: I'll be right over.

Ten minutes later...

BENCH: This is it. Thing weighs a ton.
    SOB: This is definitely weird.
    BENCH: Should we open it?
    SOB: I don't know. It could be a bomb.
    BENCH: Who would want to blow up Johnny Bench?
    SOB: I did. Remember that night you got drunk and kicked out of the bar?
    BENCH: You really wanted to blow me up?
    SOB: I was OK with it all until you asked that teenager if she wanted to see your "Big Red Machine" on the way out.
    BENCH: Nothing a couple of free autographs to daddy can't solve.
    SOB: You could have gotten arrested for that.
    BENCH: Ain't nobody gonna arrest Johnny Bench. So should we open it?
    SOB: Yeah, go for it. You do it.
    BENCH: Hmmm, it's not a bomb. It's packed in a bunch of paper. Looks like printouts from some website.
    SOB: "Weird encounter with Johnny Bench"... What the h*ll is this?
    BENCH: It's a bag fully of pennies. There's got to be a couple thousand of them.
    SOB: Let me guess, 5,000?
    BENCH: Why do you say 5,000?
    SOB: Read this.
    BENCH: Holy sh**.
    SOB: Oh my God.
    BENCH: Yeah, well now I don't feel so bad for not washing my hands before signing that stupid thing.
    SOB: I don't even WANT to know the story behind that one.
    BENCH: No, you don't. Let's just say that the Big Red Machine was well lubed that day.
    SOB: Under the table, dad? That's disgusting!
    BENCH: Fringe benefits. Autograph groupies. Fergie turned me on to 'em.
    SOB: I'm leaving now.

• Options

Bench, or his son, should have stated the cost upfront, not as services were being rendered.

Exactly.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ENCH: Maybe he is, but most of these guys'll tell you anything.

And they do and did.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jrinck - these posts are AWESOME! Funny stuff, man!