Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Weird encounter with Johnny Bench yesterday - BAT PHOTOS ADDED

Comments

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i have about 50 more of them it reds5x7 team sets image
    think i can sub some game used ashes with proof of a card sacrificeimage >>

Awesome job, Rube! Thanks for the support!!!
  • Options

<< <i>rube26105

after burning that
    how would you feel if you found out that the Bench story was a hoax :-) >>

No hoax - I'd have to be pretty bored to dream that story up.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    From above I lower my tickets with a paper clip holding a sharpie down near him and yell out "hey Wayne, please sign my tickets"

haaaaaaaaaaaaaa- at least it worked,thats pretty innovative ya gotta admitimage

No hoax - I'd have to be pretty bored to dream that story up
    true lol-maybe his nose hairs caught on fire or something like a voodoo dollimage
    well scoot,at least you got the sig for free and a great story behind it, and i burnt a card and my goat burnt his nose image it head butted him twice,they dont give up,they are pretty nosey critters
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's funny how stories like this totally erase my desire to collect certain players. >>

I did meet The Big Hurt at a movie theatre in the late 90's... he was a nice guy even though my buddy told him he was an injured-bum!

long story short... we were in line to buy popcorn or something and I noticed a large man behind us and it was Frank Thomas, I go to my buddy (who is huge cubs fan) quietly turn around slow Frank Thomas is behind us - He thought I was joking and said in a loud voice "Thomas is bum and always injured!"

Frank took it in stride and cracked a smile. >>

I hear more good than bad with Thomas. He commonly signs for fans before games and doesn't ever expect a dime. The only "horror" stories I've heard were surrounding his having family time with his children interupted...and with that, he was just grumpy and refused to sign.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭
    not to defend Bench at all (I've heard he can be a jack ass at times) but I'm wondering when he told you to go tell his son, that he was expecting that his son was the one to state that the fee was $50 to sign the bat. I'm sure if you have 30 HOF sigs on this bat, that you've had to pay for some (if not all) at some point along the way.
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Rube, that is too funny the "Burn Pattern" looks like a Rose alla Pete!!!!
    Hmmmmmmmmmm

<< <i>i like this one,its pretty
    that was fun, johnny made me smell like smoke thoughimage >>

-Johnimage
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.
  • Options
    The registry is a powerful drug.
  • Options

<< <i>The registry is a powerful drug. >>

Won't work. I decide all forum catch phrases. I'm sorry this happened to you, hatter. Maybe you should quit the hobby.

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Wow unreal story. Thanks for sharing. I thougt it was only me that got into these type of situations.

In person Autograph nice guys from my personal experience went above and beyond:
    Nolan Ryan
    Cleon Jones
    Larry Bowa
    Walter Payton
    Mike Tomzach (I think he wanted my sister and her friend)

Not so nice guys aka did not get auto and was rude on top of that
    Bert Campaneris (I shoot out his porch lite once a year, kiddin)
    Dennis Rodman
    Mike Ditka
    Jim McMahon

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭
    You know, there was an episode of Step by Step (90s sitcom, NOT the NKOTB song) where Branden (youngest Lambert child) wanted an autograph of his favorite player (a ficticious one). But when he asks for the autograph, the player says he wants $50 for it. Now Cody (Brendon's uncle) is upset by this and confronts the player about it while being interviewed by a sportscaster (which is none other than Harmon Killebrew as himself). Mr. Killebrew feels sorry for Brendon and says that while he may not be his hero exactly, he is in the Hall of Fame and would be happy to sign Brendon's ball instead (for free of course). Now, when I saw this, I figured it was just a rotten stereotype of professional athletes and that no athlete in real life would charge $50 like that (especially to a child). And most athletes probably don't do that. I'm sorry to hear however that Mr. Bench turned out to be a walking $tereotype after all. image

Maybe you should tell this story to Mr. Killebrew if you don't have his John Hanc-ck on your bat already. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I've only heard good stories about Mr. Killebrew, same goes for Mr. Kaline.
  • Options
    that does look like a roseimage
    autograph prints of benchredrose are available n the looby for only 50$ a pop image
  • Options
    "You know, there was an episode of Step by Step (90s sitcom, NOT the NKOTB song) "

I'm so sorry that you had to watch this show.. I am even sorrier if you enjoyed watching this show lol
  • Options
    Thats a very interesting story and its a shame Bench was such an ahole. For crying out loud, he actually wants $50 what a freaking joke.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭
    Bench is a real .......................................................... . chaz
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    TV's Patrick Duffy was the dad in Step by Step.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I know if he had scuffed any of the existing signatures by rolling it across the table, I'd have had to make an issue of it.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Johnny don't likey Petey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r48ZVXXEdmQ&feature=related >>

The lack of love between Johnny and Pete is well known.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>TV's Patrick Duffy was the dad in Step by Step. >>

i thought it was Patrick Ewing
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    In January of '83 I had to shoot portraits of a bunch of celebs for a charity softball game for MS. I set up the studio and one by one they all came in- Rob Reiner, Billy Crystal, Alan Trammell, Frank Howard, Tim Flannery, etc. Everyone was really nice, I got the shots and they went on their way.
    In comes Johnny Bench. Unlike everyone of the other guys he wasn't playing in the game, but I was to shoot him as well. I was quietly really excited because when I was a kid he was the one that I had posters of up in my room. We're standing there waiting for someone to bring a hairbrush or something and he looks at me and says "do you even like baseball?"
    I replied that yes, I did, and actually when I was a kid he was my favorite player and that I had sent him a get well card in the hospital in Dec '72 when he had a spot on his lung removed.
    He got totally pissed that I said I was a fan of his when I was a kid (I was 22 at the time of this conversation) and said I was just trying to make him feel old. I apologized (not sure for what) and we went ahead and started shooting. After 6 frames he said that was enough and stomped off.
    King Kellogg rarely posts on here but he's got a story about Bench as well, from when he was a show promoter and booked him to sign at a show. Long story short, they'll never, ever book him again. He got put in the Willie Mays category of super jerks.
    Sorry this happened to you Scott. Knowing how you are I have no doubt this was totally out of line and uncalled for.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    So, you got that fathead's auto on your bat for free. Cool. Return his stupid book and get your $26 back. He doesn't have anything to say that is worth 26 bucks.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For sure, there's not usually a correlation between great sports talent and good manners among famous athletes. Respect the player for his performance on the field, and if he happens to be a SOB off the field, like at a book store signing, then that's his problem.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>TV's Patrick Duffy was the dad in Step by Step. >>

i thought it was Patrick Ewing >>

in your eye hoop
  • Options
    +1 for NKOTB image
    Tonya
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I'll pitch in a dollar.

Let's get 5,000 pennies collected, print this thread out to show him what a pathetic dick he is, and mail them to his home.

I have a friend that sat by him on a plane once. My friend asked him for the classifieds which he had balled up by him. Bench told him no.

First class tool
  • Options
    sounds like bench has a attitude problem, no classified either huh- i prob would have slapped him with a magazine and got arrestedimage
    wonder if hed auto my bench sacrifice rose fire pic, i think its cool, wonder if hed auto my bench sacrifice rose fire pic, i think its cool, and a miracleimage

edit to say, i got a ticket for parking on time in this one horse town inw v in front of a card shop for somereson,parking facing the wrong way in traffic or something stupid, i sent em 25.00$ in pennies to pay the ticket in box box broken out of rolls and covered em with honey in a plastic bag in a pri flat ratebox
    just food for thoughimage
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have crumpled up the $24.00, chucked it on the table in front of him and told him I already wasted $26.00 on a piece of crap book I'll never read so take the $24.00 and shove it up your....

Or, I would have just took the bat and started beating him senseless with it.

The more I think about it, I like option two! image
  • Options
    This is fantastic!! I had no idea what I was starting this morning by posting my story from last night.

Anthony and Goose - awesome stories on other encounters with Bench. Good to see my incident was not a one-time thing for an otherwise nice guy. He is a piece of work.
  • Options
    this is a great thread,and i made a rose fire bench burnt pic to bootimage

<I was a kid (I was 22 at the time of this conversation) and said I was just trying to make him feel old. I apologized (not sure for what) and we went ahead and started shooting. After 6 frames he said that was enough and stomped off>

that settles it , bench is a nutimage
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>+1 for NKOTB image >>

Are you going to see them? My sisters are seeing them sometime next month. That's all they ever talk about.
  • Options

<< <i>Are you going to see them? My sisters are seeing them sometime next month. >>

Don't lie. You know you are the one going to see them.
  • Options

<< <i>Are you going to see them? My sisters are seeing them sometime next month. That's all they ever talk about. >>

No. I kinda have a "thing" about concerts. I think they are really lame. So expensive and loud. I'm getting old I guess! I would have died to go to their concert when I was in 5th grade though LOL!!
    Tonya
  • Options
    I did go see them when I was in the 6th grade. My sister had camped out 2 days to get tickets to see them in Shreveport then 2 weeks before the show won 2 front row seats to the concert. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Are you going to see them? My sisters are seeing them sometime next month. That's all they ever talk about. >>

No. I kinda have a "thing" about concerts. I think they are really lame. So expensive and loud. I'm getting old I guess! I would have died to go to their concert when I was in 5th grade though LOL!! >>

I thought you dropped out of school in the 3rd grade to help your dad with his marijuana farm?
  • Options

<< <i>I did go see them when I was in the 6th grade. My sister had camped out 2 days to get tickets to see them in Shreveport then 2 weeks before the show won 2 front row seats to the concert. LOL >>

That would have ruled backed then.

<< <i>I thought you dropped out of school in the 3rd grade to help your dad with his marijuana farm? >>

Do I know you?
    Tonya
  • Options

<< <i>Do I know you? >>

Forgetting your spouse is one of the first signs of excessive marijuana use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Do I know you? >>

Forgetting your spouse is one of the first signs of excessive marijuana use. >>

And you thought I was joking image
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't offer any personal anecdotes, but the sour Bench stories are legion. He's the Gen X version of Mays and Mantle. Those two sent countless Boomers away disappointed and Bench has done the same for guys my age, most of whom thought he walked on water when he played, me included.

And Johnny Mize was a crabby old crank.

And Phil Espositio always has, and always will, rule.
  • Options
    Since we are talking about Johnny Bench, it reminded me of the Johnny Bench Batter-Up hitting machine I had as a kid. Does anyone remember this product from the `70s?

Here's a link to one listed on Ebay... Johnny Bench Batter-Up

Collecting Dallas Cowboys Rookies and Team Sets 1960-1989
  • Options
    I had one of those, neat at the time.
  • Options
    "So expensive and loud. I'm getting old I guess! I would have died to go to their concert when I was in 5th grade though LOL!!"

Matt, might be time for a newer, younger wife. <kidding>
  • Options

<< <i>"So expensive and loud. I'm getting old I guess! I would have died to go to their concert when I was in 5th grade though LOL!!"

Matt, might be time for a newer, younger wife. <kidding> >>

I was just discussing that with her earlier today image
  • Options
    good signing experiences:

Denny McLain
    Phil Esposito
    Gaylord Perry
    Willie Stargell
    Billy Martin
    Ken Stabler

bad signing experiences:
    Willie Mays
    Ron Duguay
  • Options

<< <i>good signing experiences:

Denny McLain
    Phil Esposito
    Gaylord Perry
    Willie Stargell
    Billy Martin
    Ken Stabler

bad signing experiences:
    Willie Mays
    Ron Duguay >>

Ron Duguay? He was never even THAT good. Even after his best year the Red Wings dumped him. Hair or no hair?
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll pitch in a dollar.

Let's get 5,000 pennies collected, print this thread out to show him what a pathetic dick he is, and mail them to his home.

I have a friend that sat by him on a plane once. My friend asked him for the classifieds which he had balled up by him. Bench told him no.

First class tool >>

I'm in for a buck. I'll even throw in several that are spit out by the automatic coin sorters. That'll give him fits.
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • Options
    OK, per requests on here, these are photos of the bat I had signed by Bench last night. No huge HOF names on here, since most of these (with the exception of about 4) have been ones that I have had sign it for free. So you won't see Mays, Mantle, etc. But I've enjoyed assembling this over time...

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think the OP should be mad at the son and not at J. Bench.

Bench signs auto's for a fee. His son should have mentioned the price to you.

Communication is the problem here, Bench and his son need to get together.

Sorry if I don't see it the same way as some here.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for the penny thing too. My only requests are that we mix in a bunch of Canadian pennies and then whoever is to ship them, has his dog pee on them before he packs them up!
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice bat by the way.

Steve
    Good for you.