Home U.S. Coin Forum

$1,500.00 Reward: 1970-D Kennedy.

braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
No one was able to take me up on my offer of $1,000.00 for a PCGS PO01 Ike although I did score with an NGC FA02. I've decided to raise the stakes a bit. Here's the deal:
Find me a PO01 PCGS 1970-D Kennedy, or even an NGC PO01 1970-D Kennedy and I'll buy it from you for $1,500.00. I don't care how you get it to "PO01". Artifical Wear, I don't care. Rock tumbler? Bust it out. As long as PCGS (or, NGC) holders it (and lists it with a correct certification number) I'll buy it from you at the pricetag of $1,500.00. This offer is available to the first obtained in in the grade. If subsequent PO01 1970-D Kennedies turn up I'll pay $100.00 each, up to ten.

Even if it comes back a FA02, I'll buy it at $500.00. An AG03 will bring a $400.00 reward and a GD04 a $300.00 price with a VG08 paying out $200.00.

Now, like the "PO01 Ike Challenge", I'll give you five months to find the coin or to "make" the coin and get it holdered.

Good luck!

peacockcoins

Comments

• This sounds like a buy ad. Wrong forum?image What an evil scheme to destroy the pops for a certain dateimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    Somebody should start selling rock tumblers on this forum...
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you think we are stupid...selling you a PO01 for only $ 1,500....that would be a pop 1 coin....you would be able to sell a pop 1 coin for tens of thousands of dollars..... image
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think we are stupid...selling you a PO01 for only $ 1,500....that would be a pop 1 coin....you would be able to sell a pop 1 coin for tens of thousands of dollars..... image >>

Ahhh... no way of knowing if it would be a POP ONE coin as PCGS doesn't keep track of coins in their population reports at grades under VG08! image

peacockcoins

• I don't even have a 1970-D kennedy. image
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Pat, if you are serious, how many would you like? I'll get my tumbler out of storage.
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Good Luck in finding such a coin
  • JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    These forums are much more fun with Braddick around. Good luck on your hunt, I hope one turns up.

-JamminJ
  • RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    "... no way of knowing if it would be a POP ONE coin as PCGS doesn't keep track of coins in their population reports at grades under VG08!"

Actually, if you entered it in a registry set & then looked at the set the pop WOULD show - no matter what the grade. Also, unfortunately, in the pop report, they - as you most probably know - combine all grades from VG8-VF35 without any breakdown whatsoever. This in fact might lead to another interesting topic:

How can a public company get away with not FULLY DISCLOSING the pop of EVERY coin graded - especially when NGC & ANACS do it (for almost all coins/grades) for the coins that they grade. They (NGC & ANACS) even report pops for errors & obscure varieties (of course ANACS needs to get into the 20th - yes 20th as they're still in the 19th as far as technology is concerned - century & get theirs online). IMHO the GOAL should be to FULLY DISCLOSE to the coin market the pops of ALL coins graded as the more informed people are and the more transparent the market is the more participants the market will have & thereby benefit the vast majority of coin buyers/holders/sellers. image
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    The U.S. Mint uses leather to artifically wear coins in conducting tests on coin designs. I think the coins are put between pieces of leather that is mechanically kept moving to create the type of wear experienced in normal circulation.
    Ok, guys. Now you know the process, Here's a chance to make some money.

Ray
  • Hey do NET graded coins in ANACS holders count? I can get one down to PO01 with a power sander but PCGS and NGC wouldn't holder it because it was damaged. image

• << <i>Hey do NET graded coins in ANACS holders count? I can get one down to PO01 with a power sander but PCGS and NGC wouldn't holder it because it was damaged >>

Do you think they would count? No. Otherwise everyone would do it.

Cameron Kiefer
  • why a PO01? What am i missing here. Is it the buy for $1,500 and turn around for massive profit or am I just stupid (probably) and missing something here.

I dont know anything about Kennedies....is '70-D significant for some reason, especially in PO01?

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    what would you gimme for xf details holed, bent, net po-1 ?

K S
  • Braddick,
    I don't understand the thought process of paying $1,500 for a PCGS 01 Kennedy (or any other common modern). Care to elaborate? Not bashing, just want to understand where you are coming from!
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    In short, because it is a modern, it's uber-rare in such a condition, and is a pop 1 coin most likely. It's the complete reversal of the "Pop-Top" collectors...what I refer to as "Pop-Drop" collecting.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>why a PO01? What am i missing here. Is it the buy for $1,500 and turn around for massive profit or am I just stupid (probably) and missing something here.

I dont know anything about Kennedies....is '70-D significant for some reason, especially in PO01? >>

hamiltonjh,
    Braddick was dropped on his head as a baby so you'll have to excuse him. image

Seriously, these ultra-low grade coins are rarer than the ultra-high grades and are harder to "make". Very few coins can even make it to such dreadful condition, but to actually get them in a slab is virtually impossible. PCGS and NGC will almost always body bag these coins as being damaged.

And remember, coin collecting is, for some people, more about the hunt than the coin. I'll vouch for that.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • That's going to be tough.
    I had gotten a couple of hundred dollars worth of halves from the bank recently,
    and they were all simply beaten to death in the slot machines.
    Even the AU coins were in pretty bad shape.

How long would I have to carry a half around in my pocket to get it worn down to Poor or Fair condition?

• << <i>

<< <i>why a PO01? What am i missing here. Is it the buy for $1,500 and turn around for massive profit or am I just stupid (probably) and missing something here.

I dont know anything about Kennedies....is '70-D significant for some reason, especially in PO01? >>

hamiltonjh,
    Braddick was dropped on his head as a baby so you'll have to excuse him. image

Seriously, these ultra-low grade coins are rarer than the ultra-high grades and are harder to "make". Very few coins can even make it to such dreadful condition, but to actually get them in a slab is virtually impossible. PCGS and NGC will almost always body bag these coins as being damaged.

And remember, coin collecting is, for some people, more about the hunt than the coin. I'll vouch for that. >>

Very reasonable explination, thanks. especially the dropping on the head part. I can relate to that.....
    I was wondering if I missed something, which is ALWAYS possible. image and probable.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad, I just cracked mine out for the upgrade potential. It's a shot 4!

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • I've got a 1970 D here...prob a 61-64 Raw. What's it worth?
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
  • dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>I've got a 1970 D here...prob a 61-64 Raw. What's it worth? >>

Much less than $1500 image
  • On such a low grade coin would the tiny little mint mark even show?
  • Why do you need a 70-D (only sold in mint sets, not generally circulated), where for the Ikes you just needed a generic date (and not a 73)? I'd rather someone tumble a 69-D to PO01 instead. Don't you just need a type coin?
  • Why do you need a 70-D (only sold in mint sets, not generally circulated), where for the Ikes you just needed a generic date (and not a 73)? I'd rather someone tumble a 69-D to PO01 instead. Don't you just need a type coin?

I believe Braddick is the ultimate collector of PO01 coins.
  • braddick, your killing me. You have single-handedly brought the search for low grade coins to a new level.image

• Heck I get uncirc. 1971's from the bank. How could anyone know what a legitimate PO1 Kennedy looks like?

Between Craig and myself here's a way of turning about $5.00 worth of pocket change into $10,000.00+ !

peacockcoins

• I have a 70-D in about 65

• << <i>No one was able to take me up on my offer of $1,000.00 for a PCGS PO01 Ike although I did score with an NGC FA02. I've decided to raise the stakes a bit. Here's the deal:
    Find me a PO01 PCGS 1970-D Kennedy, or even an NGC PO01 1970-D Kennedy and I'll buy it from you for $1,500.00. I don't care how you get it to "PO01". Artifical Wear, I don't care. Rock tumbler? Bust it out. As long as PCGS (or, NGC) holders it (and lists it with a correct certification number) I'll buy it from you at the pricetag of $1,500.00. This offer is available to the first obtained in in the grade. If subsequent PO01 1970-D Kennedies turn up I'll pay $100.00 each, up to ten.

Even if it comes back a FA02, I'll buy it at $500.00. An AG03 will bring a $400.00 reward and a GD04 a $300.00 price with a VG08 paying out $200.00.

Now, like the "PO01 Ike Challenge", I'll give you five months to find the coin or to "make" the coin and get it holdered.

Good luck!
    >>

Is this offer still good? I'm just curious.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Five months... eight years... eh, who's counting? image

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • LOL
    "Is the offer still good?"
    ________
    Whatcha got?!

peacockcoins

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Is the offer still good?"
    ________
    Whatcha got?! >>

Well is it?
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Is the offer still good?"
    ________
    Whatcha got?! >>

a pocket full of change that could be 1 coin fuller if I knew there were demand

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another George Romero post.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think we are stupid...selling you a PO01 for only $ 1,500....that would be a pop 1 coin....you would be able to sell a pop 1 coin for tens of thousands of dollars..... image >>

in my opinion people have been using Pop 1 incorrectly. it should be stated pop 1 for the grade

i have at least 3 truly pop 1 coins.

only 1 graded between the top 3 grading services in any grade.
    i noticed this by a thread i made and a lot of people posted "top pop" coins that were not pop 1 by definition

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• bob48bob48 Posts: 449 ✭✭✭
    This is funny! Where do you guys dig this stuff up? and also How do the story end? Did he ever find a PO-01?
    or anything close? Anyone ever get the reward?
    Keep them comming, I have nothing else to do but read these old threads.
    Bob
    Bob

<< <i>This is funny! Where do you guys dig this stuff up? and also How do the story end? Did he ever find a PO-01?
    Bob >>

Bob, Nothing ever came of this for a 1970-D (although I have a PM into the member who resurrected this thread!).
    On related threads, I did locate a PO1 1964 Kennedy, I still own, and a FA2 Ike dollar- having since sold it to another enthusiast.

peacockcoins

• bob48bob48 Posts: 449 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the ending. I know the low ball sets are out there.
    Bob
    Bob

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a 1875 seated half pocket piece that's going to be PO1 before long - any interest?? Check back in 2015 or so....... image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

<< <i>

<< <i>This is funny! Where do you guys dig this stuff up? and also How do the story end? Did he ever find a PO-01?
    Bob >>

Bob, Nothing ever came of this for a 1970-D (although I have a PM into the member who resurrected this thread!).
    On related threads, I did locate a PO1 1964 Kennedy, I still own, and a FA2 Ike dollar- having since sold it to another enthusiast. >>

I can start working on it this week. imageimageimage
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>On such a low grade coin would the tiny little mint mark even show? >>

I would think that if the date is readable then PCGS/NGC would holder it regardless of whether the mintmark was showing or not.

<< <i>

<< <i>On such a low grade coin would the tiny little mint mark even show? >>

I would think that if the date is readable then PCGS/NGC would holder it regardless of whether the mintmark was showing or not. >>

Could be a low circulated proof coin?
    I think you would need a hint of a mintmark for PCGS to determine it is a business strike, Denver mint.

peacockcoins

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The U.S. Mint uses leather to artifically wear coins in conducting tests on coin designs. I think the coins are put between pieces of leather that is mechanically kept moving to create the type of wear experienced in normal circulation.
    Ok, guys. Now you know the process, Here's a chance to make some money.

Ray >>

Time to break out my leather pants from the 70's!image
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.

• << <i>"Is the offer still good?"
    ________
    Whatcha got?! >>

I meant it as a general question. I do not have one as of yet, but would consider looking for a low grade example that can, with little effort, be worn down enough to slab in a low grade.
  • scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know how long it takes to wear a coin down to a P01? image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>On such a low grade coin would the tiny little mint mark even show? >>

I would think that if the date is readable then PCGS/NGC would holder it regardless of whether the mintmark was showing or not. >>

Could be a low circulated proof coin?
    I think you would need a hint of a mintmark for PCGS to determine it is a business strike, Denver mint. >>

You would need something on the coin to distinguish it from the S proof.

I wonder if some of the proof fields would remain in the protected areas of the reverse of the S proof, and if that would be enough to distinguish it.

(this is really getting my curiosity going)

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far no one has asked if the dollars being offerred are US dollars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file