Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Planemonkey, great job as always with the Hunters!!! image

I wouldn't have passed on that 68 Hunter for $20 either!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Thanks Mike.
    Hey I was born in Lafayette, wasn't a Purdue fan though lived closer to Champaign and was an Illini fan as a kid. And of course the Bears, Bulls, and Cubs.
    Ben
  • Options
    I actually grew up on Long Island and wanted to go away for college. I was actually at Purdue when Rod Woodson played there.

Also, I had a class with someone you would know being an Illini fan, Jeff George. He transferred after his freshman year if I remember correctly.

Well I'm a Mets, Jets, and Knicks fan so I feel your pain. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 68T Hunter is too sweeeeeeet!

I'm a fan - Hunter was with the Yanks when I was in school in NYC - good times in the cheap seats.

20 bucks? Nice pickup.
    Mike
  • Options
    Very nice pickups - kinda cool to see a lot of Purdue fans / alumni around here.

My father went to Purdue during the Mount years... Been a fan since I was born.

Planning on decorating my son's wall with 8x10 autoed photos of all of Purdue's greats (he's only 2 so he can't appreciate it fully yet)... one day after I finish my Jackie Robinson collection.

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Got this in the mail today.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Posted in another thread earlier this week...figured I'd post here today. Came in mail at beginning of week. I sent them in myself. Really stoked about the Ruth....there is only ONE graded higher. The Kobe is pretty sharp...picked up the complete 55 card set for dirt cheap.
    -Claude

• Options
    Very nice Williams MM.

Claude - anything Ruth is a keeper! Nice pickup.

Thanx.
    Mike
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Just opened the package today for these two guys I've needed for my '52 set, not the best centering but until I hit the lottery they'll have to do. Eight away from 1-311, slowly but surely. Have a good weekend. Doug

• Options
    I like'm fine Doug - if ya win big - ya still gonna have to hunt for some time to find better centering.

Nice pickups.
    Mike
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Mike image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Hi Dan!

How ya been?

I was looking at some 78's on a thread and thought of you.
    Mike
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Dan!

How ya been?

I was looking at some 78's on a thread and thought of you. >>

PM sent! No need for me to derail an epic thread image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Haven't posted on this thread in awhile but I just got this in and wanted to share. As many of you know I'm one of 2 Roy Campanella collectors in the world (Hi Jake! image) and am trying to get as many of his items as possible. I saw this for sale on eBay and when it didn't sell I contacted the painter and we worked out a deal. Got it in the mail today and I'm very happy with it. It's watercolor and is about 11x15 which is bigger than may scanner so I tried to get as much of Campy as I could. Maybe not a Rembrandt but I think it's pretty good. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

I picked up a couple of lobby cards from the movie - The Pride of St. Louis - the Story of Dizzy Dean - 1952.

Based on the life of Dizzy Dean (Dan Dailey) and his rise to stardom, his fall (injury that caused arm problems) and rise - again - as a sportscaster.

His brother "Daffy" played by Richard Crenna.

I'm sure many have read pieces on the life of Dizzy Dean. Of note - he's the last National League pitcher to win 30 games in a season.

These are very nice LCs from the movie - I especially like an LC where the players are in uniforms.

Mike
  • Options
    Hiya Chris!

That's a really sweet Campy! I like it - and it's as nice as it gets.

I'm not a Campy collector - but do have as a small "focus/niche" - the Brooklyn Dodgers - so I'm with ya all the way - very nice - I'd be proud to have it on my wall.
    Mike
  • Options

Curse of the Faceless Man - 1958

This is one I've never seen - not sure if anyone did? These movies are incredible - the budget was probably about as small has humanly possible.

And the tagline: Entombed for eons - turned to stone - seeking women, women, women!
    Mike
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Those are great Mike! I remember watching the Dizzy Dean movie on TV when I was a kid. It would probably be corny now but I loved it.

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>Those are great Mike! I remember watching the Dizzy Dean movie on TV when I was a kid. It would probably be corny now but I loved it. >>

Thanx Mark.

I've got about 50 lobby cards from the Sci-Fi's of the 50s and only a few BB oriented pieces - I will pick up more in the future.

Also - with my sports related decanter collection - 1974 Ezra Brooks - Boston Celtics.

Mike
  • Options
  • Options
    Haiku’s are easy
    But sometimes don’t make sense
    Refrigerator
  • Options
    Well I cant compete with that snow white mickey mantle, but I got this beauty in the mail today.

Im sorry I cant get my computer to post pics so heres a link. If someone would post is beauty i would be greatful.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d137/PRTHDMAN/?action=view&current=photobucket-1817-1321943001786.jpg
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Thank you very much, im still waiting for the Upper Deck santa suite card to arrive.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Looking forward to getting these boys slabbed.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    nice scans everyone!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Hiya Chris!

That's a really sweet Campy! I like it - and it's as nice as it gets.

I'm not a Campy collector - but do have as a small "focus/niche" - the Brooklyn Dodgers - so I'm with ya all the way - very nice - I'd be proud to have it on my wall. >>

Thanks, Mike! I like it a lot. For awhile I contemplated doing the "Decade of Dodgers" PSA registry set but it was going to be WAY more money than I have available. Campy has always been my guy so I'll just stick with him for now.

Love that Dizzy Dean LC!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    kinda disappointed with the grade on the Yogi, however it is still the clearest most well centered 52 Berra I have come across! One of those that looks like it was first after they changed the ink! Also, very tough T205 Joss and Wilhelm variation suffe'ed in the 18th line

• Options
    That's a good looking Berra Ted.

I picked up another whiskey decanter - Kessler - 1980.

And some iconic lobby cards - movies that were big in the 50s - Sci-Fi and Horror were the best!

This Island, Earth: 1955, Title card #1

The Thing from Another World! - 1951

and last - The Invasion of the Saucer-Men - 1957.

Mike
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Stone, and love those lobby cards! I also picked up a minty Raging Bull Half sheet poster, need to figure out how to photograph it!
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Just picked this up as I continue my quest for T206 Pirates.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Got Duke in the mail today, a nice Christmas present from my wife. A tough card to find with decent centering that's for sure. Probably grade a 5 or 5.5. Doug

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I have posted this one on this thread. If I did.........here it is again!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    how do you post pictures like this? cant figure it out
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>how do you post pictures like this? cant figure it out >>

Probably the easiest way is to go to www.photobucket.com, open up an account (it's free), upload whatever pics or scans you want to their site per the instructions there, then copy the IMG codes (you'll see) and paste those codes into your posts here.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Elemenopeo said, then here in the thread you are posting to, hit "reply" and enter text in message box if you have a comment, then click on the "picture frame" (fourth box from the left under the words "Message Text") paste information in the box hit ok. Click on "Preview" if you want to see if it works. Close window if previewing and hit reply to thread.

Kind of a chore the first couple of times, it gets real easy.

Looking forward to your scans. Welcome to the boards!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That 52 Snider is crazy nice, looks like an 8 in the scan.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    picked this up for my 58 set..........yellow team varation

1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    My first ever T202 and I love the colors on these cards. This has a small wrinkle on the back that I am guessing caused the low grade, otherwise this looks to be EXMT:

Picked these up from a board member:

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    It's been a while since I have contributed to this thread, but here are some highlights from my recent pick ups starting with a few high numbers for my ghetto 1935 National Chicle set:

Followed by a few high numbers for my 1948 Leaf set:

Next a well centered copy of the key card from the 1951 Topps Magic set that I picked up from our own gameusedhoop:

A few more additions to my FB HOF RC set:

Next a complete set of full tickets from the 1983, 1984, & 1985 USFL Championship Games. I already had raw copies, but took the opportunity to pick them up in protective PSA slabs for a good price:

While I usually don't collect game used items, I threw a lowball bid on this XFL referee jersey and added it to my defunct football league collection on the cheap:

There was a thread about a glut of press wire photos on eBay as of late and I have enjoyed picking up some Walter Payton career highlight moments from his hometown paper, the Chicago Tribune, complete with a nice COA and presentation folder. Here is one as an example:

For years I have been searching eBay daily for Payton items and this is the first (and only) time I have seen one of these offered. That, plus the fact it displays so well, makes it my favorite addition of the bunch. This banner hung on the streets of Chicago to celebrate one of the city's favorite sons:

Thanks for looking and may the New Year bring you & yours all the best!

Snorto~
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Some of the cards you posted are probably more "collectible," but my favorite item is the Payton banner; there probably haven't been many available for sale, and it served a public purpose at one time.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭
    That truly is a beautiful Hutson RC. especially for the grade. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Michael, thanks for the comments regarding the Payton banner... it is definitely one of my new favorites in my collection. I will always collect cards, but I really do enjoy memorabilia that I can display, whereas all my cards are hidden away in binders or boxes.

A small update this time around as I was finally able to get my hands on the short printed Harvey Martin card to finish off my 2000 Fleer Greats Of The Game Cowboy Clippings set:

While Martin run around half of what the Landry goes for, it seems they show up half as much as well.

Have a great week everyone!

Snorto~
  • Options
    I've been wanting one of these for awhile, just recieved it last week.

• Options
    Congratulations!

That's one heck of a nice Starr card. Great centering.
    Mike
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Great Starr RC Trent! image
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    Trent, that Bart Starr looks really nice for the grade. Congrats!!!

Scott, I love those 1965's especially the Namath!!! Nicely centered too.

Collecting:
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Looks like Cardbender.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Great Bart Starr card. Love it. I ran into him in elevator in Detroit for Super Bowl 40. He and I were the only one's to ride it 15 floors down. I told him something he's probably never heard before. "It's a honor to meet one of football's greats." LOL, He said thanks. Doug