Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Official Group BBCE 1975 Topps Baseball Rack Box Break #7

Comments

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sequencing for Brett can vary but the odds are definitely in your favor! That rack should be ripped, because if Brett is in there, it's probably woirth more opened than sealed anyway, so you can just buy another rack with the proceeds! >>

anyone know VCP prices for Brett?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have VCP but PSA 8s will vary at around $100-$125 depending on centering while a PSA 9 will command $450 or more.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    $550 for a 9, Now RIP IT, image
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just hope it doesn't carry the centering of the Gary Matthews! >>

Was thinking the same thing. What does the front card in that stack look like?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm crossing my fingers for you!!!!

If you do rip it, please let us know what you find and keep track of your sequencing.

If it holds true to mine you will also be seeing Steve Carlton just after Mr. Brett!

Dave
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I just hope it doesn't carry the centering of the Gary Matthews! >>

Was thinking the same thing. What does the front card in that stack look like? >>

• Options
    Scmavl,
    That Gibson and Aaron look great. Nice pulls.

Hmmm. With the first card and last card not centered that well, odds are not looking good for the centering on the Brett, but I'd chance it. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

<< <i>I'm crossing my fingers for you!!!!

If you do rip it, please let us know what you find and keep track of your sequencing.

If it holds true to mine you will also be seeing Steve Carlton just after Mr. Brett! >>

I will, indeed, post the sequence if/when I rip.

In my dream, I see Carlton, then Brett.

In my nightmare, I see Carlton, then Frank Taveras.
  • Options
    Especially resting against a Steve Carlton... CELLO SHREDS!!!
  • Options

<< <i>In my dream, I see Carlton, then Brett. >>

...and what pray tell are they doing in your dream?

• Options
    centered PSA 8 Brett RCs are not easy to find
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm crossing my fingers for you!!!!

If it holds true to mine you will also be seeing Steve Carlton just after Mr. Brett! >>

In my nightmare, I see Carlton, then Frank Taveras. >>

The sequence I got on that low cell was:

Card 1 - 15 Jose Cardenal
    Card 2 - 213 Oscar Gamble
    Card 3 - 13 Gene Locklear
    Card 4 - 228 George Brett
    Card 5 - 185 Steve Carlton
    Card 6 - 79 Gary Matthews
    Card 7 - 99 Mike Hegan
    Card 8 - 28 Tom Murphy
    Card 9 - 26 Dave McNally
    Card 10 - 43 Cleon Jones
    Card 11 - 194 1956 MVP (Mantle/Newcombe)
    Card 12 - 74 Mark Belanger
    Card 13 - 232 Diego Segui
    Card 14 - 167 Rich Coggins

IF IT HELPS ANY, ONE OF THE OTHER RACKS I RIPPED HAD:

Card 1 - 99 Mike Hegan
    Card 2 - 28 Tom Murphy
    Card 3 - 26 Dave McNally
    Card 4 - 43 Cleon Jones
    Card 5 - 194 1956 MVP (Mantle/Newcombe)
    Card 6 - 74 Mark Belanger
    Card 7 - 232 Diego Segui
    Card 8 - 167 Rich Coggins

AN EXACT MATCH!!!!!!

SO I'D THINK THE ODDS ARE VERY, VERY, VERY GOOD THAT MR. Carlton is just under Mr. Matthews and Brett is just after Carlton!

Dave
  • Options
    ...oops, I posted this in the wrong thread earlier.

no star power on my racks but some decent centering on a few. I'll try to post a few scans of what I'm submitting.

461, 491, 274, 344, 351, 380, 463, 521, 472, 451, 343, 462, 465, 448

634, 331, 428, 493, 632, 212, 384, 532, 513, 650, 557, 515, 502, 612

111, 256, 76, 127, 146, 407, 145, 217, 133, 42, 130, 250, 2, 147

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

You won't see Carlton in front of Brett, but he may very well be behind..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>According to 70ToppsFanatic's pack sequencing, you missed a Brett by two cards! (#213 Oscar Gamble)

High Number Cell -552, 460, 519, 626, 637, 624, 291, 575, 533, 596, 623 (Hernandez RC), 392, 619, 419
    Middle Number Cell -360, 333, 317, 495, 273, 487, 356, 298, 440, 499, 485, 330, 316, 329
    Low Number Cell -15, 213, 13, 228 (Brett RC, 62/38 LR), 185 (Carlton (50/50 LR)), 79, 99, 28, 26, 43, 194 (1956 MVP Mantle), 74, 232, 167

image >>

IF MY SEQUENCING HOLDS THEN THIS PACK MISSED BRETT BY 2 CARDS (AFTER GAMBLE)

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>I will, indeed, post the sequence if/when I rip.

You won't see Carlton in front of Brett, but he may very well be behind.. >>

Grote, if I looked at the cards from the back -- after Matthews, I would see Carlton. After Carlton, I would see Brett.
    I never said the words 'in front of'
  • Options

<< <i>I will, indeed, post the sequence if/when I rip.

You won't see Carlton in front of Brett, but he may very well be behind.. >>

He will if he works from the back....

Dave
  • Options
    Who the heck opens a rack from the back?? LOL..

• Options
    This is a VERY important rack for all of us. Although Brett comes 2 after Gamble, we can all learn which
    cards come in front of Gamble so that we all know what to look for in other 75 Racks.

Right now we know it is:

Cardenal
    Gamble
    Locklear
    Brett

IF YOU DECIDE TO RIP THIS RACK PLEASE POST THE SEQUENCES SO THAT WE CAN LEARN THE ADDITIONAL CARDS
    AHEAD OF CARDENAL.

And if you want to sell the rack, let me know. Although it does not have a Brett I'd be a buyer just to learn the rest
    of the sequence.

<< <i>

<< <i>According to 70ToppsFanatic's pack sequencing, you missed a Brett by two cards! (#213 Oscar Gamble)

High Number Cell -552, 460, 519, 626, 637, 624, 291, 575, 533, 596, 623 (Hernandez RC), 392, 619, 419
    Middle Number Cell -360, 333, 317, 495, 273, 487, 356, 298, 440, 499, 485, 330, 316, 329
    Low Number Cell -15, 213, 13, 228 (Brett RC, 62/38 LR), 185 (Carlton (50/50 LR)), 79, 99, 28, 26, 43, 194 (1956 MVP Mantle), 74, 232, 167

image >>

IF MY SEQUENCING HOLDS THEN THIS PACK MISSED BRETT BY 2 CARDS (AFTER GAMBLE) >>

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Who the heck opens a rack from the back?? LOL.. >>

I really did laugh out loud, too.
  • Options

<< <i>Who the heck opens a rack from the back?? LOL.. >>

Anyone impatient enough who believes Brett is 3rd from the bottom behind the Matthews card I guess....

Dave
  • Options
    This pack is a must-video. image
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    All this talk of ripping is making me sick. image

On the other hand, it is for research purposes. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Based on what we have collected so far we have gained quite a bit of knowledge.

We now have (with some reasonable confirmation) the 12 cards that we believe follow Brett, so if you see
    any of these on the bottom of the low cell and Brett is not on top then there is a good chance he's in the cell.

We also have the following 29-card sequence form the middle cell that basically contains very little in the way
    of star power:

492, 480, 368, 341, 347, 386, 464, 468, 422, 475, 455, 461, 491, 274, 344, 351, 380, 463, 521, 472,
    451, 343, 462, 465, 448, 496, 354, 400, 564

We also have the following 20-card sequence form the middle cell that also contains very little in the way
    of star power:

290, 409, 337, 444, 209, 340, 360, 333, 317, 495, 273, 487, 356, 298, 440, 499, 485, 330, 316, 329

Keep posting your sequences and I will keep collating them.

Dave
  • Options
    Any new card sequences from opening these racks to report???

Dave
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I'm not trying to be a downer here, as I know I've been a part of a lot of group rips, but help me understand something......

Why rip open a $225 pack hoping there's a $100 card inside??? Isn't that one someone said a PSA 8 Brett sells for???

Again, these are great looking racks, and I can certainly understand buying one to hold on to, but the prices have gotten so high that opening them
    doesn't make much sense. I guess it doesn't make much sense financially I should say. I'm sure it's a blast to open for the pure thrill of it.

Okay, never mind. After typing this out, I do sound like a Debbie Downer. image

Crack that open and have fun doing it!! image
  • Options
    There are other GEMs to be had in these packs, and any given PSA 10 would be a sweet lottery ticket. It's like asking why people go hunting or fishing when they could simply go to the market. image
  • Options
    Well you make a good point Jeff. And like I said, I certainly understand the joy of cracking these or collecting them.

But as an example, the thread just started with 1976 football packs at $50 a pack. What's a PSA 8 Payton worth?? $150?? $200??

Just seems to me like the prices have gotten so high on some packs (75 baseball for example) that a better example would be spending $10 on
    a scratch off ticket when the top prize is $2. But like I said, I understand your point, the top prize is actually a PSA 9 or 10.
  • Options
    Perhaps I'm just jealous because I don't have one to open!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Okay, never mind. After typing this out, I do sound like a Debbie Downer. image >>

You don't want that label, LOL.

Besides, most guys on the board cannot stop themselves from ripping no matter what the odds are. You know who you are. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not trying to be a downer here, as I know I've been a part of a lot of group rips, but help me understand something......

Why rip open a $225 pack hoping there's a $100 card inside??? Isn't that one someone said a PSA 8 Brett sells for???

Again, these are great looking racks, and I can certainly understand buying one to hold on to, but the prices have gotten so high that opening them
    doesn't make much sense. I guess it doesn't make much sense financially I should say. I'm sure it's a blast to open for the pure thrill of it.

Okay, never mind. After typing this out, I do sound like a Debbie Downer. image

Crack that open and have fun doing it!! image >>

i think the best way to think about looking at ripping old wax is not "well, what $$$ card could i get out of it?"
    but rather, "man, remember when me and (insert friend(s) name(s) here) were on the corner/yard that day, and (he/they/you) pulled that (star/most cherished player's name) out of the pack?" feeling that only ripping wax from our childhood can give you?

at least thats how i feel when i open wax packs from my youth
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>Besides, most guys on the board cannot stop themselves from ripping no matter what the odds are. You know who you are. image >>

Guilty! There is however ONE pack that I have conquered the temptation of opening. I'm subbing my 1978 OPC wax pack with Ryan on the front and Murray on the back! image
  • Options

<< <i>Guilty! There is however ONE pack that I have conquered the temptation of opening. I'm subbing my 1978 OPC wax pack with Ryan on the front and Murray on the back! image >>

You, really??? image

Actually Jeff you are even smarter to sub that pack now if the Murray has the potential to come back MIN SIZE like Neil's although something tells me that may eventually get slabbed.

Edit in bold.

Collecting:
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    While even the big rookies in PSA8 don't command a premium, what if you pulled one in 10? Imagine the payday. And it's possible. Likely? No. But always possible.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    In the packs that have been opened, has anyone landed a perfectly centered Ron Santo card by any chance?
  • Options
    Hey Mike, with all your unopened 1975 racks, have you looked at the known sequences? What if one had a Brett or Yount?
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Mike, with all your unopened 1975 racks, have you looked at the known sequences? What if one had a Brett or Yount? >>

I actually have a rack with Brett showing on the bottom, but I don't think that counts. I also have a rack pack with Doug Rader on top which based on the sequencing shared thus far should have a Yount in it. I just can't open it though. It also has Goose showing on top.

Collecting:
  • Options
    I know a few people haven't shown their racks yet. I mean rack packs. image

Even if you aren't ripping them, I'd love to see who you got showing on the fronts and backs.

BTW, Jarrod did you get a chance to post your video yet?

Collecting:
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    i just wanted to share my 2 racks i dont have pictures yet but my 1st rack cell one on top is al cowens and on the back #289 kenneth rudolph...the 2nd cell has ken sanders and robert coluccio #456..the 3rd cell has darrell porter and the back card is james hegan #99....2nd rack has rookie pitchers on top with william plummer #656 on back..cell #2 has dave roberts on top with #309 stolen base leaders on back...and the final cell has al kaline highlights on top with robert forsch #51 on back...hope that helps some...both racks are nice although the one with kaline the rookie pictures card has a puncher mark on that card...otherwise nice cards...
  • Options

<< <i>i just wanted to share my 2 racks i dont have pictures yet but my 1st rack cell one on top is al cowens and on the back #289 kenneth rudolph...the 2nd cell has ken sanders and robert coluccio #456..the 3rd cell has darrell porter and the back card is james hegan #99....2nd rack has rookie pitchers on top with william plummer #656 on back..cell #2 has dave roberts on top with #309 stolen base leaders on back...and the final cell has al kaline highlights on top with robert forsch #51 on back...hope that helps some...both racks are nice although the one with kaline the rookie pictures card has a puncher mark on that card...otherwise nice cards... >>

There is a very good chance your 1st rack contains a George Brett RC.

If you decide to rip the rack with Mike Hegan on the back (#99), please post the card numbers in the order that they were in the cell. We have it on very good information (card sequences from other racks that were ripped) that this cell will contain a George Brett card followed by a Steve Carlton.

The order as we know it so far is:

15 - Jose Cardenal
    213 - Oscar Gamble
    13 - Gene Locklear
    228 - George Brett
    185 - Steve Carlton
    99 - Mike Hegan
    194 - 1955 MVP (Mantle)

Dave
  • Options
    thanks 70topps if i do which i may i will post and let you know image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Guilty! There is however ONE pack that I have conquered the temptation of opening. I'm subbing my 1978 OPC wax pack with Ryan on the front and Murray on the back! image >>

You, really??? image

Actually Jeff you are even smarter to sub that pack now if the Murray has the potential to come back MIN SIZE like Neil's although something tells me that may eventually get slabbed.

Edit in bold. >>

Evening,

Which we should know in like 5 Days, $14 a card!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know a few people haven't shown their racks yet. I mean rack packs. image

Even if you aren't ripping them, I'd love to see who you got showing on the fronts and backs.

BTW, Jarrod did you get a chance to post your video yet? >>

I posted one LINK but the one with Yount wouldn't upload. I tried it twice and it stalled out at 40% both times. I haven't tried in a few days though.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    How often do these packs have a varying number of cards in a cell. If you look at the first page of my some older unopened material thread, I show pictures of my 75 Topps rack packs. I have two packs that have the 69 MVP card on top but one has #114 on the bottom and one has #258 on the bottom.

Jim

<< <i>

<< <i>i just wanted to share my 2 racks i dont have pictures yet but my 1st rack cell one on top is al cowens and on the back #289 kenneth rudolph...the 2nd cell has ken sanders and robert coluccio #456..the 3rd cell has darrell porter and the back card is james hegan #99....2nd rack has rookie pitchers on top with william plummer #656 on back..cell #2 has dave roberts on top with #309 stolen base leaders on back...and the final cell has al kaline highlights on top with robert forsch #51 on back...hope that helps some...both racks are nice although the one with kaline the rookie pictures card has a puncher mark on that card...otherwise nice cards... >>

There is a very good chance your 1st rack contains a George Brett RC.

If you decide to rip the rack with Mike Hegan on the back (#99), please post the card numbers in the order that they were in the cell. We have it on very good information (card sequences from other racks that were ripped) that this cell will contain a George Brett card followed by a Steve Carlton.

The order as we know it so far is:

15 - Jose Cardenal
    213 - Oscar Gamble
    13 - Gene Locklear
    228 - George Brett
    185 - Steve Carlton
    99 - Mike Hegan
    194 - 1955 MVP (Mantle)
    218 >>

Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    How often do these packs have a varying number of cards in a cell. If you look at the first page of my some older unopened material thread, I show pictures of my 75 Topps rack packs. I have two packs that have the 69 MVP card on top but one has #114 on the bottom and one has #258 on the bottom.

Jim

Jim, it's not uncommon for the card count in a section to be off by one or even two cards, higher or lower. More importantly, though, sequencing does vary, and the sequence leading to Brett does not always follow the one detailed here.

Edit to add: though the odds of finding Brett are much higher, for sure..

• Options

<< <i>I posted one LINK >>

Nothing like watching the World Series while watching a 1975 Topps Rack Pack Rip. Thanks for the vid!! image
  • Options
    Hey Jarrod,

Thanks for the link and great rip. I don't know if you noticed it or not, but the middle section had a bonus card in it. So much for Topps quality control.

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>How often do these packs have a varying number of cards in a cell. If you look at the first page of my some older unopened material thread, I show pictures of my 75 Topps rack packs. I have two packs that have the 69 MVP card on top but one has #114 on the bottom and one has #258 on the bottom.

Jim

Jim, it's not uncommon for the card count in a section to be off by one or even two cards, higher or lower. More importantly, though, sequencing does vary, and the sequence leading to Brett does not always follow the one detailed here.

Edit to add: though the odds of finding Brett are much higher, for sure.. >>

I looked at my 75 rack packs as well Jim and I have cards on the bottom that don't match the sequencing seen thus far for the cards showing on top in this thread. As Tim has told me before, the sequencing can change within each rack section, however, if you identify a card very close in the sequencing to a money card like the Brett RC your odds are extremely good of pulling that card. I also believe that since these racks came from the same box, the sequencing is going to be very consistent from pack to pack which is what we've observed thus far.

Collecting:
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Edit to add: though the odds of finding Brett are much higher, for sure. >>

I busted a 75 rack about 4 months ago. One thing I remember is that hank aaron #1 and yount came together. This was the case in another rack in this thread. I did get another aaron #1 in the pack but the yount did NOT come with it so the sequence is not fool proof.