Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Official Group BBCE 1975 Topps Baseball Rack Box Break #7

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Mike! (I think, lol.) Just don't give me that old Italian evil eye thingy! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Holy smokes!!!

That's incredible, and it just paid for your 75 Racks!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Holy smokes!!!

That's incredible, and it just paid for your 75 Racks!!

Thanks, Mike!

Just to clarify, though, this rack is not from the box we just bought. I had the Ryan rack in my collection already.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    That Ryan cello is awesome!
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Oh okay Grote, but it's still disgusting!!! It's a really nasty Rack Pack! Just sick, just so grouse!!

Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    And since we're on the topic of 75 racks..

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Good Lord have mercy, that Ryan is sooooooo nice! I'm drinking a toast to you right now Tim.
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And since we're on the topic of 75 racks..

image >>

Let me guess, you have a rack with Yount showing too, right?image
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let me guess, you have a rack with Yount showing too, right?image >>

I think that is one he is missing, but he does have him on top of a cello pack.

I only have this.

imageimage

Edited for spelling.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>And since we're on the topic of 75 racks..

image >>

::weeps::
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Let me guess, you have a rack with Yount showing too, right?image >>

I think that is one he is missing, but the does have him on top of a cello pack.

I only have this.

imageimage >>

Very nice Mike.
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Here's a 75 mini cello with Yount on top:

• Options
    Thanks, fellas! Getting back to racks, the 75 mini rack is extremely tough to find and come up for sale very seldom. I like these even better than theur full-size counterparts:

Edit to add: I really like the sale sticker offering this rack for .47, two cents less than the header card price, LOL!

• Options

<< <i>Thanks, Matt! Getting back to racks, the 75 mini rack is extremely tough to find and come up for sale very seldom. I like these even better than theur full-size counterparts:

Edit to add: I really like the sale sticker offering this rack for .47, two cents less than the header card price, LOL! >>

the original buyer even got a "mini" discount on the pack! lol
  • Options
    MAMA!
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    I didn't even know there were '75 mini racks! Very cool. Now I have to have one.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    This is probably my favorite 75 mini rack:

• Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Someone ask about a Rack w/ Aaron on top/showing???

Well... have this one:

... the front isn't nearly as exciting as the backside....

.... I'm won't own this guy much longer as I've almost completed the sale of it.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    Russ, that is a great rack pack. The Aaron Highlights card looks like it is really well centered.

Hope you do well on the sale!!! image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Wow!

Nice stuff Tim! Nice pack with the Aaron cards too.

aconte
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Al Bumbry card too. image You have an awesome rack, I never get tired of saying that.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Alright, it's Monday. Anyone gotten their packs yet???
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    Got mine!

They are very nice. No big stars on the front but all packs are clean without the thumb nail marks (except slight one on the Thomasson card).
    Actually, the five 1981 packs are in a little rougher shape to me than the 1975's. Many of those had some of the edge wear on the top card.
    I will be ripping those eventually.

I don't have my regular scanner hooked up so sorry for the rough scans.

Tony

• Options
    I have to say again I can not believe how sharp and clean the cards are. For almost forty years these were kept in fabulous shape.

aconte
  • Options
    Hey Tony,

Those are some really nice rack packs. I can look at those all days long. image

I'm leaving right at 5pm today, work or no work. I need to see my racks asap. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    I'm leaving right at 5pm today, work or no work. I need to see my racks asap.

Now, don't get Pam all excited for nothing now!

• Options

<< <i>I'm leaving right at 5pm today, work or no work. I need to see my racks asap.

Now, don't get Pam all excited for nothing now! >>

I said "my" racks. image

Plus, I'll know when I get home right away if they came as she'll have that "what the heck did you buy now look on her face". To which I reply, "It's only a couple of packs of cards, it's not like I bought a whole box or something". image

Collecting:
  • Options
    That's a sharp Ron Cey, Tony!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    rack received. I may be ripping it later tonight.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    rack received. I may be ripping it later tonight.

Go for it!

• Options
    UPS just drove right by, wanted to chase after him like a dog, but thought better of it.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest everyone who rips should record the order of the cards in each cell and then post them.
    We may all learn something for the future.

I'll start. Two racks received and ripped with the folloiwng results (in order from the cells of each rack)

Rack 1

High Number Cell - 507, 570, 510 (Blue), 531, 446, 539, 504, 611, 426, 549, 433, 562, 425, 617
    Middle Number Cell - 368, 341, 347, 386, 464, 468, 422, 475, 455, 461, 491, 274, 344, 351
    Low Number Cell - 99, 28, 26, 43, 194 (1956 Mantle MVP), 74, 232, 167, 159, 193 (1955 MVP Berra/Campy), 123, 63, 183, 218

Rack 2

High Number Cell - 560 (Perez), 615, 434, 577, 585, 293, 645, 573, 598, 567, 294, 569, 586, 452
    Middle Number Cell - 290, 409, 337, 444, 209, 340, 360, 333, 317, 495, 273, 487, 356, 298
    Low Number Cell - 144, 175, 96, 177, 173, 261, 206 (1968 MVP), 114, 66, 162, 253, 207 (1969 MVP), 184, 176

Photos to follow later

Dave
  • Options
    Excellent idea, 70Topps! The cards in the far left section furthest from the header card referred to by 70Topps as "high number" cards also bear a two-asterisk (**) designation on the bottom of the back of the card. 1975 Topps racks are also the only 70s rack in which the header card is typically located on the right side of the rack instead of the left side.

• Options
    Mike, were the racks that amazing or are you still at work? image

• Options
    Results from another 75 Topps Rack

Rack 3

High Number Cell -552, 460, 519, 626, 637, 624, 291, 575, 533, 596, 623 (Hernandez RC), 392, 619, 419
    Middle Number Cell -360, 333, 317, 495, 273, 487, 356, 298, 440, 499, 485, 330, 316, 329
    Low Number Cell -15, 213, 13, 228 (Brett RC, 62/38 LR), 185 (Carlton (50/50 LR)), 79, 99, 28, 26, 43, 194 (1956 MVP Mantle), 74, 232, 167

Hope to see more sequencing posted.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Results from another 75 Topps Rack

Rack 3

High Number Cell -552, 460, 519, 626, 637, 624, 291, 575, 533, 596, 623 (Hernandez RC), 392, 619, 419
    Middle Number Cell -360, 333, 317, 495, 273, 487, 356, 298, 440, 499, 485, 330, 316, 329
    Low Number Cell -15, 213, 13, 228 (Brett RC, 62/38 LR), 185 (Carlton (50/50 LR)), 79, 99, 28, 26, 43, 194 (1956 MVP Mantle), 74, 232, 167

Hope to see more sequencing posted. >>

WINNING!!!!

hows the TB centering? any tilt?
  • Options
    See above...

IMO the T/B is just about 50/50 and no tilt. I'm crossing my fingers for a 9:

MINT 9: Mint
    A PSA Mint 9 is a superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

Dave
  • Options
    Nice Brett! I think you are between an 8 and a 9 on that one..they usually grade the star cards a but more conservatively, so I'm going to guess an 8.5, due to L-R centering.

How's back look?

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    great Brett!

i ripped mine last night and video'd it. i'll upload it later from work. no star power whatsoever but some were nicely centered.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Brett! I think you are between an 8 and a 9 on that one..they usually grade the star cards a but more conservatively, so I'm going to guess an 8.5, due to L-R centering.

How's back look? >>

Thanks. Back is looking good. As for being more conservative on star cards, I don't see how PSA can claim to have Grading "Standards"
    if they do not apply them equally on all cards. If it is not "black and white" then its all subjective and the grades mean absolutely nothing.

PSA MINT 9 allegedly requires:

1) A superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders

We seem to have that one covered as per the scan, but we'll have to see what a PSA grader says

2) Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

I digitally measured the front at 62/38 which is definitely between 60/40 and 65/35. Back is much better than 90/10.
    This requirement is definitely met.

I'll submit it and we'll see.

Dave
  • Options
    Nice card . Congrats and good luck.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice Brett! I think you are between an 8 and a 9 on that one..they usually grade the star cards a but more conservatively, so I'm going to guess an 8.5, due to L-R centering.

How's back look? >>

Thanks. Back is looking good. As for being more conservative on star cards, I don't see how PSA can claim to have Grading "Standards"
    if they do not apply them equally on all cards. If it is not "black and white" then its all subjective and the grades mean absolutely nothing.

1) A superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders

We seem to have that one covered as per the scan, but we'll have to see what a PSA grader says

2) Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.

I digitally measured the front at 62/38 which is definitely between 60/40 and 65/35. Back is much better than 90/10.

I'll submit it and we'll see. >>

Yes, grading is subjective.
    From the scan, that does not look like a 9 at all.
    I'd say its in the 8 range due to centering. it's impossible to tell other factors based on a scan
  • Options
    Was the Brett from one of the racks from this box? I see you opened two racks and then one more. Just wondering if my odds to pull a Brett went down... image
  • Options
    The rack that Brett came from was frm the box. I had an additional one from the BBCE website as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "odds" of seeing more Brett cards though. I do not believe it to be
    as simple as 24 racks x 42 cards and 660 cards in the set so therefore 1.527 of eachcard in a rack box.
    I have several duplicates from the two racks that came from the box (including the 1956 MVP with Mantle)
    and I'd be willing to bet we'll see a few more in the remaining 22 racks.

That's why I suggested recording the card order from each cell and posting it. It will give everyone a better
    idea of sequencing for future rack purchases.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

How's back look? >>

I'll submit it and we'll see. >>

Yes, grading is subjective.
    From the scan, that does not look like a 9 at all.
    I'd say its in the 8 range due to centering. it's impossible to tell other factors based on a scan >>

If the standards are to mean anything, then it wont be centering that brings this card down to an 8. You can't allow 60/40 to 65/35 and
    say that a card that is 62/38 is NOT within the standard. Whether they can find other issues is going to be subjective, but if it were held
    down due to centering issues then the whole grading thing is essentially a bunch of BS. PSA wouldn't be so foolish as to risk undermining
    their own integrity.

Dave
  • Options
    70Topps, grading, however, is quite subjective, as cards often come back with higher or lower grades if cracked out and resubmitted. It's also been my experience, based on submitting quite a few 75 baseball cards, that PSA is just a bit more conservative when it comes to grading star cards, and I'm sure others here have experienced that as well. That Brett is a sharp card, but visually the centering is distracting enough so that I doubt it will come back Mint 9, but I can definitely see it in a 8.5 holder, as the half-grades were created for cards like these, imo...cards that are superior to the grade below (in this case, an 8) while exhibiting some characteristics of the grade above (in this case, a 9).

Edit to add: The snow in the black background of "ROYALS" may also be slight detriment.

• Options
    I got tied up yesterday (not literally Tim) and didn't get a chance to post the scans. A couple of White Sox greats showed up, unfortunately for the White Sox though they were great for another team. image

Sorry 70Topps, I never rip any of my 1975 rack packs so I scanned the fronts and backs for everyone to see. The rack packs are very sharp.

Collecting:
  • Options
    Nice Goose, Mike! Those look great. Here's a phone pic of mine (sorry) and I'll rip one of them later, probably the top one. No star power showing, just a Mad Hungarian on the back.

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

Actually, this part is what I see as holding the card at an 8. The green and purple border are very mildly faded and there is stray light blue print on the purple background. In my experience, the colors on the front border need to be both vivid and clean to get a 9. I hope I'm wrong, but that is my opinion based on direct experience with the 75's.

It's a beautiful card nonetheless. Congrats on a great pull!
  • Options
    Thanks Jarrod,

Looking forward to seeing the results of your rip. There should be some sharp cards in there. Don't forget to write down the sequencing.

David said he was going to load a video of his rip later. I think I'll have to invite company over. image

Collecting: