Home Sports Talk

2011 SF Giants thread: Title Defense Failed

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>49ers, Raiders, A's, Warriors and now the Giants. The last thing we need in the Bay Area is another team that sucks. >>

My 2010 World Series DVD collection is up on the shelf with my Lord of the Rings DVD collection. Some how, it seems to fit.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It's only the 2nd inning but I'd like to go ahead and congratulate Matt Garza on his complete game shutout of the hapless Giants.

On other related Giants news, a baby giraffe was born the other day at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and christened the name "Brandon". It paid homage to its namesake by striking out three times in one afternoon.

7th inning update: Okay there's no shutout but last night and tonight is what happens when there is no offense and the pitching is mediocre. Down 5-1 it'll take them three weeks to make a comeback.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    2011 SF Giants Thread 8/31: Wow... Aaron Rowand and Miguel Tejada DFA'ed!!!

Ok, I didn't see this coming.

Rowand was still under contract through 2012, so he's been paid his 2012 salary to go away. WOW.

I've read that Rowand's been increasingly irritated with his lack of playing time, and I know that Tejada recently expressed his displeasure with being asked to lay down a sacrifice bunt both on the field when he was asked, and to the media later.

Taking their spots, the Giants have activated Pat Burrell (OF) from the DL and called up the pride of the Fresno Grizzlies, Brett Pill (1b/2b).

Pill's been raking in AAA, posting a .312/.341/.530 slash, while slugging 25 homers and driving in 107. He was on the Giants 40 man last year, but was DFA'ed after a medocre first season in AAA. Luckley, no one else was willing to take a shot with him and he re-signed wit the Giants. Now he finally gets his shot.

<< <i>2011 SF Giants Thread 8/31: Wow... Aaron Rowand and Miguel Tejada DFA'ed!!!

Taking their spots, the Giants have activated Pat Burrell (OF) from the DL and called up the pride of the Fresno Grizzlies, Brett Pill (1b/2b). >>

I was just about to post that and you beat me to it. We'll miss Rowand's crouching tiger, swing-and-a-miss batting stance and all those strikeouts. As for Tejada, I don't know if he's any worse than Cabrera, though. I guess crying to the media about having to lay down a sac bunt cemented the decision.

On the subject of buyouts, Zito...Zito...Zito...
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

<< <i>I was just about to post that and you beat me to it. We'll miss Rowand's crouching tiger, swing-and-a-miss batting stance and all those strikeouts. Af for Tejada, I don't know if he's any worse than Cabrera, though.
    >>

With Rowand, I think the Giants just improved their 2011 options, as well as their 2012 team.

With Tejada, they're freeing up a spot on the bench and opening the door to some playing time for Crawford in September.

While I'm happy with both moves, I think Sabean's reasons are more to placate the fans, kinda like when he got rid of Armando Benitez back in 2007. I remember he got on sports talk radio right after the deal and said something along the lines of "There, he's gone. Are you happy now?"

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/31: Giants win minus Rowand and Tejada.

MadBum had a dominant 8 inning, 2 hit, 11 strikeout performance today vs the Cubs, while the hitters finally found a pitcher who couldn't dominate the Giants meager hitters.

From the postgame interviews, it sounds like DeRosa's gonna be getting more playing time at Huff's expense, and Burrell is going to get a look back out in left again (at Belt's expense).

Rosters expand tomorrow. Lots of young scrubs to replace the old ones. Whee.

• They should stick with lineup for a while but, what do I know

Torres Cf
    Keppinger 2b
    Sandoval 3b
    Beltran rf
    De rosa/Burrell lf
    belt 1b
    whiteside/stewart c
    fontenot ss
    pitcher

keep huff on the bench, emergency use only
    use de rosa as need in the utility role
    With 4 runs scored in one game, it was an offense explosion! At least today they didn't turn another no-name pitcher into Roy Halladay for a game.

MadBum was excellent and I think his 11 K's is a career high. Granted he got the equivalent of 3 games worth of run support.

I'm starting to like Keppinger. Any chance he can play SS if they re-sign him?
    MadBum matched his career high in strikeouts. He set it earlier this year vs the Indians.

Keppinger's under team control through arb, so unless he does something to hose himself, I can't see the Giants non-tendering him after the season.

He played almost a whole year at SS with the Reds a few years ago, then just a handful of games here and there for the rest of the time.

2011 SF Giants Thread 9/1: SF Giants vs NL West

Last year, the Giants got shreaded in August, going 13-15, coughing up 138 runs while scoring only 124. Lincecum had everyone worried that his magic was gone, and Giants fans (myself included) thought the season was over.

Then they turned around and went 18-8, then went through the Braves, Phillies, and Rangers to win the World Series.

This year, the task is no less daunting. The Giants flopped to a 11-18 record in August, giving up 104 runs while scoring only 78.

The Giants are 6 games back, with 25 games to go. ALL of those games are against NL West teams, including 6 against the D-Backs.

As it looks:

3 v ARI
    3 @ SD
    3 v LA
    3 v SD
    4 @ COL
    3 @ LA
    3 @ ARI
    3 v COL

So far this year, the Giants are 8-4 vs the D-Backs, 7-4 vs the Rockies, 7-5 vs the Dodgers, and 7-5 vs the Padres. None of that really matters though, considering the Giants just got worked over during a tour of the NL basement.

Still, sometimes turning the page on the calendar and a massive shakeup in the team (the DFA'ing of Rowand and Tejada) can kick a team into gear. There are good players on the Giants who are not playing good baseball right now. That can change.

Keppinger and Panda had good months. DeRosa and Burrell are likely playing the final games of their careers, so they're trying to get the most out of the little time they have left.

Guys who need to do better and CAN are Aubrey Huff, who seems to foul out or roll the ball to a middle infielder in every at bat. Cody Ross is pressing and flailing, getting only 15 hits compared to his 20 strikeouts. Andres Torres needs to be the leadoff man he can be. Beltran needs to do what he was doing a month ago with NY.

Brett Pill's an x-factor. He'll be making his MLB debut soon. Whether his power numbers from AAA will translate into anything at the major league level remains to be seen.

If the bats can finally do SOMETHING, the arms will carry the team.

2011 SF Giants Thread 9/2: Bats wake up, save AZ's GM and President's hair

The D-Backs brass said that if they won their 10th straight, they'd go shave their heads. They won't have to.

I don't know if this is a "dead cat bounce" or the Giants are cursed by Augusts, but either way, this was a solid win tonight. Cain got tagged for a run in a 29 pitch 1st inning, then locked it down and went 8 innings, holding the Snakes to only 2 runs. Some days, 2 runs is all another team needs. Tonight, Beltran woke up in a big way, going 4-4, a double shy of the cycle. Ross blasted a 2 run shot and made a Web Gem type play in the field. Good game. Still, Matt Cain had more hits in a game than the 4 through 8 hitters. That's not really good.

Timmy goes tomorrow, Vogey goes Sunday.

Every one of these games is a must-win game right now.

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i'd call it a dead cat bounce, but not to their faces.

just don't know when it's comming down.

i also think Beltran is feeling better and i have a hunch he was not 100% when traded. any chance of signing him? i know the Giants are eating $12m for Rowand in 2012. and Zero has 2012 and 2013?

anything going on with Bell in SD? just too lazy to check my self to see if he's stayed put or picked up by someone else.

<< <i>any chance of signing him? i know the Giants are eating $12m for Rowand in 2012. and Zero has 2012 and 2013? >>

I suppose. It depends on what Beltran's asking price is. I suspect he'll want a deal that makes Rowand's look like chump-change.

<< <i>anything going on with Bell in SD? just too lazy to check my self to see if he's stayed put or picked up by someone else. >>

No deal was reached for Bell, so he's in SD until the end of the year.

2011 SF Giants Thread 9/3: The bounce of a dead cat when dropped is not an indicator of life.

fin.

<< <i>2011 SF Giants Thread 9/3: The bounce of a dead cat when dropped is not an indicator of life.

fin. >>

Bounce of a dead cat? I don't see bounce. All I see is splat, a cat turned into street pizza.

"Fin" is too poetic. To describe this Giants season I'd prefer to use another word that starts with an F.

It's too little too late but on the bright side it's refreshing to see Carlos Beltran do in the last few games what he was brought here to do. Unfortunately the chances of the Giants resigning him is practically zero. Perhaps when he turns 40 Sabean will bring Carlos back for a year or two.

<< <i>Bounce of a dead cat? I don't see bounce. All I see is splat, a cat turned into street pizza.

"Fin" is too poetic. To describe this Giants season I'd prefer to use another word that starts with an F.

It's too little too late but on the bright side it's refreshing to see Carlos Beltran do in the last few games what he was brought here to do. Unfortunately the chances of the Giants resigning him is practically zero. Perhaps when he turns 40 Sabean will bring Carlos back for a year or two. >>

The "bounce" was in reference to Friday's "offensive awakening".

I don't really blame the players this year. The offensive core of the team was hollowed out by injuries. Last year, everything turned out right for the Giants. This year, everything went wrong.

Well, maybe now they'll let Pill, Ford, Gillaspie, and H. Sanchez start a few games and see what they can do.

<< <i>Well, maybe now they'll let Pill, Ford, Gillaspie, and H. Sanchez start a few games and see what they can do. >>

Doubt it because some of the folks in the front office and clubhouse still believe they have a shot despite being 7.0 back with 22 to go. With the Dodgers winning lately and the Giants floundering it isn't out of the question for the Dodgers to finish 2nd in the division.
    The Giants quote of the week from Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News:

"Right now, it's obvious who should win the team's Willie Mac award for most inspirational performance. The trophy should go collectively to the Giants' pitchers, simply for resisting the urge to strangle the Giants' hitters."

He nailed it.
  • Would you have overhauled last year's team? Admittedly, I was one of those people who said to keep last year's team intact, and just make minor tweaks. Obviously that was wrong as ppl were having career years last year. However, I think if Sabean made major changes, and things still turned out that way, people would still be upset, and say that those major changes disrupted the great chemistry of last year's team, and would want last year's team back again.

<< <i>Would you have overhauled last year's team? Admittedly, I was one of those people who said to keep last year's team intact, and just make minor tweaks. Obviously that was wrong as ppl were having career years last year. However, I think if Sabean made major changes, and things still turned out that way, people would still be upset, and say that those major changes disrupted the great chemistry of last year's team, and would want last year's team back again. >>

If the Opening Day lineup stayed mostly healthy, and Posey and F. Sanchez didn't go down for the season, I think the Giants would be looking down at the D-Backs, not looking up.

2011 SF Giants Thread 9/5: With playoff hopes gone, Giants relax and trash Padres

Now that the pressure of making the playoffs is off their backs, the Giants bats trashed the Padres for 7 runs, with Panda going yard twice and MadBum going 8 and 1/3, striking out 13, and giving up only 2 runs.

I've read that Brett Pill will be making his major league debut tomorrow. image He tore it up in AAA this year. Lets see what he can do up here.

2011 SF Giants Thread 9/6: Pill the Thrill? Brett Pill jacks 2 run homer in first major league plate appearance!

First Giant to do it since Will Clark did it 25 years ago. Pill's been raking in AAA this year, and went 1-3 tonight with that HR being his only hit.

Beltran's turned up the heat, and continued his torrid awakening with a 3-4, 3 RBI night.

Surkamp weathered a short 5 inning outting, giving up 3 earned on 5 hits. Command was off, but he got a lot of run support.

As a bit of wild trivia, there have only been 4 Giants in the SF era who have homered in their first at bat.

Pill today, Clark 25 years ago in 1986... and...
    1974, pitcher John Montefusco.
    1975, light-hitting shortstop Johnnie LeMaster.

After glossing over a few of his minor league stats, why is it we hadn't heard much about Pill until a month ago? It was always Brandon Belt this, Belt that.

I guess the last two games is the proverbial dead cat bounce. The snakes lost tonight but it's too little too late.

It's finally good to see the bats wake up. If only it happened a month ago. Watching what Beltran has been doing lately I'm beginning to hope the they'll at least consider re-signing him. Heck if ownership could blow that type of money on Zito and Rowand it wouldn't set a precedent.

<< <i>After glossing over a few of his minor league stats, why is it we hadn't heard much about Pill until a month ago? It was always Brandon Belt this, Belt that. >>

I think it's due to the fact that he's 26 and was "given up on" by the Giants org after the season last year when they dumped him off their 40 man roster. No one wanted him, so the Giants signed him back to play in the minors.

Belt's younger, blasted his way through all levels of the minors in his first professional season, then was an opening day starter for the "Defending World Champs", so that gave him a bit of pedigree.

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    wow i had forgotten about Le Compte's HR.

as a side trivia note i will never forget Tony Cloninger's 2 slams against the Giants in 69. and he was a pitcher AND it was at Candlestick AND he almost had a shot at a third opportunity late in the game.

box score
    2011 SF Giants Thread 9/7: Cain gets a Pill for run-support, but it doesn't help

Pill homered in his first 2 games. The last Giant to do this was John Bowker, and that didn't turn out too well.

Cain got Cain'ed again, but what else is new? 7 innings, 2 runs, loss. The kid's one of the premier pitchers in the league, in the top 8 of ERA and WHIP among active starters... and he's the only one of the group with a sub .500 win/loss percentage.

2011 SF Giants Thread 9/9: Affeldt out for season after slicing hand with knife while separating frozen burger patties

Yeah, cuz it's that kind of year. Jeremy Affeldt apparently slashed his right hand open, damaging the nerve, while attempting to separate frozen hamburger patties.

<< <i>2011 SF Giants Thread 9/9: Affeldt out for season after slicing hand with knife while separating frozen burger patties

Yeah, cuz it's that kind of year. Jeremy Affeldt apparently slashed his right hand open, damaging the nerve, while attempting to separate frozen hamburger patties. >>

I saw that story while taking a break at the Long Beach show and just about did a spittake.

Those Giants injuries were at first unfortunate and untimely but now they're just bizarre. They were saying Affeldt is probably done as a Giant as they're unlikely to pick up the option on his contract.
  • 2 words, Mr. Affeldt: Burger King.....

<< <i>They were saying Affeldt is probably done as a Giant as they're unlikely to pick up the option on his contract. >>

I like him. I hope he stays in SF. He's a good player and a good all-round guy.

2011 SF Giants Thread 9/9: 8 innings, 1 earned and a no decision for Timmy..

Standard crapola. Timmy goes 8, gives up 1 run (a bizare run at that), but gets no decisioned as the Giants entire offense was limited to 1 driven in by the 3rd batter of the game.

Useless. Totally useless.

The Giants: finding ways to suck one game at a time. Apparently 2nd place in the division isn't bad enough and now they're making a run at 3rd place. Have they ever beat Kershaw?
    2011 SF Giants Thread 9/11: MadBum's better than the Giants.

Yeah, after scoring 1 run on Friday and 0 runs on Saturday, they explode for 8 runs today.

MadBum's continued an awesome turnaround. At the break, MadBum was 4-9 with a 3.87 era. Since the break, he's gone 7-3 with a 2.63 era. The kid can deal. He's 11-12 right now. If he keeps it up, he could end this season with a winning record.

Giants won tonight in a walkoff, but the thing that caught my eye the most was the shot of the dugout when DeRosa got the walk-off hit. Check out the video, starting at the 55 second mark.

WTF is Beltran (#15) doing?

Maybe Beltran thought they lost?

5 game win streak. A little late though.

Panda hitting for the cycle was pretty cool. Too bad he missed so much time though. He'd be putting the finishing touches on a 30-100-.300 season if he hadn't missed so much time with the broken hand.

They've been playing great the last few games and MadBum has been looking awesome. If all this happened a month sooner...
    2011 SF Giants thread 9/16: 6 straight wins? Is there life in this corpse?

After the team seemed to all but concede the West, they're winning. They're not just winning, they're providing their guys with buckets of run support!

If they keep this up, maybe the trip to Arizona won't be the "whatever" series that I thought it'd be. Do I dare hope?

Cody Ross going down with an injury is just further insult though. So, with Ross down, we'll be seeing a lot more Andres Torres and Jason Christiansen in CF. Of course, that also means a lot more playing time for Brandon Belt... and maybe Brett Pill if they want to try him out in the OF.

Beltran was talking to the media recently about what it'd take to get him to sign with SF again. He basically said an upgraded offense. Today he clarified a bit, and put a name to that "upgrade" he was talking about: Jose Reyes. If the Giants signed Reyes, then Beltran would be happy to re-sign with the Giants.

Not a bad move, but I don't know if the Giants ownership group would be take on that kind of payroll. Beltran's probably gonna seek 3+ years at $15 mil each, and Reyes will probably try to get closer to 6+ at $20 mil each. Rowand's gone, but they still have to pay him.

Seeing Pujols and Fielder hitting the FA market makes me wonder too. While the sample size is somewhat small, both players have seen their numbers suppressed somewhat at AT&T Park, as it's larger than their current home parks.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beltran doesn't care.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Beltran doesn't care. >>

Yeah, I kinda got that when he frowned and didn't run on the field with the team after their walk-off win the other night.

<< <i>Seeing Pujols and Fielder hitting the FA market makes me wonder too. While the sample size is somewhat small, both players have seen their numbers suppressed somewhat at AT&T Park, as it's larger than their current home parks. >>

I know these guys can be moved to the outfield but with Pill, Belt and Huff the Giants are a bit overstocked at first base. I simply don't see them going after Fielder or Pujols.

Fielder is an awesome bat and he's definitely athletic and nimble, but with that physique who knows how long into his 30's he'll last.
    2011 SF Giants thread 9/17: Pill the Thrill helps make it 7 straight wins! What's going on here?!?

The Giants have suddenly turned into an offensive juggernaut and have hammered their way through this 7 game win streak. What's going on?

Pill was truly "The Thrill" today with a pair of clutch triples, both of which put the Giants ahead.

A week ago, the Giants talked about shutting down Wilson for the year. Now, they're talking about activating him tomorrow. It seems that the "We're done" talk rebooted the team and suddenly these guys are hungry, happy, and focused. Wow.

Still, it's probably just enough to break our hearts in the end, but right now, this is fun!

However, 5 games back with 10 games to go, the D-Backs and Giants would make history if the Giants take the West.

<< <i>Fielder is an awesome bat and he's definitely athletic and nimble, but with that physique who knows how long into his 30's he'll last. >>

Panda at 3rd, Prince at 1st. The whole diamond would bend if that happened!

2011 SF Giants thread 9/18: 6 homer onslaught heralds 8th win in a row!

The Giants swept the Rockies in CO, and burned the Rockies down with 6 homers today. The last time the Giants hit 6 homers in a game was in 1961. Matt Cain even got into the action with his own 2 run shot!

Still, October Baseball remains a long shot for the Giants. With 9 left, the Giants sit 5 back in the West and 4 back in the Wild Card.

2011 SF Giants thread 9/20: To live or die in LA...

The Giants and Dodgers exist to hose the other. When one is in the grave, it'll reach out and grab the other to pull it in too.

With Arizona's magic number at 4, the Giants need to pretty much slaughter the Dodgers in this final series.

Best Case Scenario: (Giants go 3-0, AZ goes 0-2) Giants arrive in Arizona for a 3 game series 3 games back.
    Worst Case Scenario A: D-Backs clinch on Wednesday.
    Worst Case Scenario B: D-Backs clinch in front of the Giants this weekend.

LA and SF were made to torpedo one another and it has gone both ways over the years. Tonight they're going up against Kershaw who the Giants haven't beat even once this year. Normally I'd say if Kershaw is pitching the Giants are screwed but they've been hitting well lately so who knows.

I'm certain the D-Backs will win the division. Winning the wild card spot is more likely and with the Braves stumbling it could happen.
    Looks like tonight it was "DIE", with Aubrey Huff and his obligatory ground ball to the right side to end the game.

Would it kill Boch to put Belt in instead?

But Beltran took 3 called strikes, all fastballs, to end the 8th with 2 on. The 3rd strike was a pitch down the middle. No cut, no movement, no breaking action, no nothing. A fastball, down the middle.

With Arizona's magic number at 3:

Best Case Scenario: (Giants win 2 in LA and AZ drops their last game vs the Pirates.) Giants arrive in Arizona for a 3 game series 4 games back.
    Worst Case Scenario A: AZ clinches on their off-day Thursday
    Worst Case Scenario B: D-Backs clinch in front of the Giants this weekend.

<< <i>Looks like tonight it was "DIE", with Aubrey Huff and his obligatory ground ball to the right side to end the game.

Would it kill Boch to put Belt in instead? >>

Belt would've struck out swinging.

Giants need to find a way to beat Kershaw. Not just this year, but have the Giants ever beaten him?

<< <i>Belt would've struck out swinging. >>

Still better than a double play.

<< <i>Giants need to find a way to beat Kershaw. Not just this year, but have the Giants ever beaten him? >>

Yeah, August 1st of last year was the only time the Giants stuck Kershaw with a loss.

Giants won that game 2-0. The winning rally was:

Posey - groundout to shortstop
    Burrell - Double
    Panda - Strikeout looking
    Rowand - intentional walk
    Renteria - 2 run triple.

A few weeks after Miguel Tejada left the team, Mike Murphy finally got around to cleaning out his locker. He found a pile of newspapers at the bottom of the locker and after clearing them off, uncovered a box with "SF GIANTS 2011 AUGUST RUN SUPPORT" written on it. Apparently Tejada had pilfered the box at some point after the all star break, but was unable to actually open the box and kept it hidden. "Ohhh, now that makes sense." He popped the box open and on September 11th, distributed it to the team. "Here you go boys. Go nuts."

From August 1 through September 10th, the Giants averaged 2.78 runs per game. From September 11th through today, the Giants have averaged 6.6 runs per game.

Brett Pill's old for a rookie, but he's producing. I suspect that he's going to create some hard decisions about who's playing 1st base next season.

Justin Christian's old for a rookie too, but he's being tested as a "new" Andres Torres, now that the current Andres Torres has reverted back to the old version that no one wanted.