Home Sports Talk

2011 SF Giants thread: Title Defense Failed

Comments

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Needless to say the maximum sucking continued straight into Monday. One bad inning was all it took.

Looking on the bright side, Beltran actually got two hits instead of going 0-4 with two strikeouts. Now if only they could knock in a few runs with runners in scoring positon they'd be on to something.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    don't lose hope, yet digicat.

it can't be roses all season. (the team isn't built for that like the Rangers or Phillies)
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>don't lose hope, yet digicat. it can't be roses all season. (the team isn't built for that like the Rangers or Phillies) >>

Dbacks effortlessly ran over Cain and Lincecum. Giants can't touch ANY pitching.

The team's broken. Too many injuries, fatigue settling in on the pitching staff.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • The Giants are tied for first and 1.5 out of the Wild Card... I remember calling you a negative nancy at about this point last season when you had given up hope as well because you were a handful of games behind the Padres. Long way to go before you're conceding a season.

<< <i>The Giants are tied for first and 1.5 out of the Wild Card... I remember calling you a negative nancy at about this point last season when you had given up hope as well because you were a handful of games behind the Padres. Long way to go before you're conceding a season. >>

When it comes to baseball, I'm a totally neurotic person who's moods will swing rapidly. Fortunately, I'm a pretty well grounded person in real life. image

The Giants have given up 31 runs in the past 5 games. Prior to this 5 game loosing streak, the Giants gave up 31 runs in 10 games.

The probable matchups for this upcoming 4 game set vs the Phillies:

Bumgarner vs Lee
    Sanchez vs Worley
    Cain vs Hamels
    Lincecum vs Oswalt

The Giants were doing well when they went to Philly and took 2 out of 3. Right now, they're in a huge hole, and the hitters can't hit air. I could totally see the Giants getting shutout in all 4 of these games.

Lets see,
    MadBum vs Lee = SF 0, PHI 3
    Sanchez vs Worley = SF 0, PHI 9
    Cain vs Hamels = SF 0, PHI 1
    Lincecum vs Oswalt = SF 0, PHI 1

Please Giants, prove me wrong.

On the "Less Grim" side of things, righty reliever Sergio Romo has retired 28 batters in a row. A perfect game (plus 1)!

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/3: Vogelstrong stops the skid

The last time they faced Jason Marquis, he threw a 5 hit shutout against them.

This time, the Giants hammered him for 8 runs and he was done after 4+ innings.

Good stuff. Prior to today's game, the most runs the Giants have scored at home this year was 6. I just hope they didn't blow the rest of their week's supply of runs today. Those things are hard to come by!

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/4: prediction confirmed, Giants not good enough

Yesterday I predicted a 0-3 loss, and the prediction proved correct. My other 3 predictions are:

Sanchez vs Worley = SF 0, PHI 9
    Cain vs Hamels = SF 0, PHI 1
    Lincecum vs Oswalt = SF 0, PHI 1

In the "good, but not good enough" category you have Madison Bumgarner. After giving up back-to-back homers to lead off the 2nd, he settled in and dealt: 7 ip, 9 so, 2 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk.

However, he pitches for the Giants, so he has to eat these losses. The Giants offense is a joke. I feel bad for the pitching staff. This must be karma for the Bonds era. Back then it was all bats, no arms. Now, we're all arms, no bats.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/5: Giants suck so bad it's nSFw

Well, my prediction was only half right. Phillies did indeed score 9 runs, but the Giants did not get shutout, plating 2 measly runs.

The HBP-caused brawl was utterly pathetic, and evidence that this team is in free-fall.

Now the offense starved Giants are probably gonna see Huff, Sandoval, and Whiteside suspended. Ramirez and Romo will join them, weakening the bullpen. I don't know if all of those guys will get suspended, but it looked like they were the guys who threw punches.

It's funny. The Giants are sucking so badly right now that it makes me forget that they beat the Phillies to get to the World Series, then beat Cliff Lee twice when they got there.

My other 2 predictions: (with updates)

Cain vs Hamels = SF 0, PHI 6
    Lincecum vs Oswalt = SF 0, PHI 5

The Giants heads are screwy right now. I don't think Cain or Lincecum will have any sort of focus out there.

Sanchez = Zito = Loss

I wonder if the Giants are gonna call up their best lefty prospect Eric Surkamp. The kid's dealing AA right now:

8-4, 2.09 era, 1.135 whip, 120.2 ip, 147 so, 39 bb

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/6: More failure.

Well, Hammels had a shutout going until 2 outs in the 9th when he put one on a tee for Pablo to pop just past the left-field wall. I origionally predicted a 0-1 loss, then changed it to a 0-6 loss, but the game ended up being a 1-2 loss. Still, same image, different day.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/7: Giants win game, but Beltran and Lincecum injured. Fun.

Yeah, Giants pull the trigger on a high-priced 2 month rental, and within 2 weeks, he sprains his wrist.

Then, to make things worse, Chase Utley lost his bat and nailed Timmy in the knee.

Both players say they're ok, but all players say that.

Giants apparently won the game though.

It looks like Beltran is fine and he will be in the lineup tonight.

The Giants have lost 8 of 9 but the Pirates have done even worse losing their last 10 and tumbling out of contention. One team will snap out of their funk this series. Let's just hope it's Bochy and company.

As for the D-Backs, considering their recent easy schedule and the chronic sucking on the part of the Giants I'm just in wonder how they're not in 1st place right now.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    Yep, another suckfest tonight. If DP's counted as runs the Giants would be the undisputed kings of Major League Baseball. Only the Giants lineup could make every middle rotation mediocre pitcher look like Justin Verlander/ Roy Halladay for a night.

Just thinking hypothetically, what would happen if Barry Zito had to pitch against the Giants? Who would win that train wreck?
    2011 SF Giants Thread 8/8: Pirates DOMINATE the pathetic Giants

The Giants hitters only have problems with one specific type of pitcher: the ones who throw baseballs with their arms.

Tonight they got shutout by one of those types of pitchers.

Vogelsong had a rare bad start. The last time he gave up 5 earned was in May. Tonight against the Pirates, he pitched like he did when he was WITH the Pirates.

It's more disturbing to me when the Giants arms get lit up like this than it is when the hitters suck. The sucky hitters can occasionally run into a pitch or scratch out a run or two. If our pitchers get touched for 3 or 4 (or 5) early runs: game over.

At least the D-Backs lost too.

Giants are 3-9 since Beltran joined the team.

I'd love to see them start Belt for a week, and see what he can do. I think he'll make a strong case for benching Huff.

I guess Vogelsong was due for an off performance. This I think this was his first non-quality start this year. Every pitcher no matter how good they are has an off day once in a while. It happened to Kershaw yesterday and it happened to Halladay a few weeks ago.

With Madison "No run support" Bumgarner pitching Tuesday I'm just hoping the Giants don't score negative runs.

As for Belt, in March everybody was hoping for a Buster Posey style rookie season from Belt but as we know that hasn't happened. Sure he's young but he hasn't done much in the time he's played.

<< <i>As for Belt, in March everybody was hoping for a Buster Posey style rookie season from Belt but as we know that hasn't happened. Sure he's young but he hasn't done much in the time he's played. >>

He got off to a rough start, then got demoted and destroyed the minors with his bat. They haven't given him a second look though, at most, using him to rest Huff or for futile pinch-hitting duty.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/9: MadBum deals, Giants win.

Bumgarner was dialed in tonight: 7 innings, 4 hits, 0 runs, 10 strikeouts.

Heh, ironic, the day after I bash Huff, he goes 3-4 with a double, a HR, and 2 RBI.

Tomorrow's gonna be interesting. Since moving to AT&T Park, the Giants have never dropped 3 consecutive series that were part of a single homestand. After dropping 2 of 3 to the D-Backs, then dropping 3 of 4 to the Phillies, they'll need to beat the Pirates tomorrow.

Of course, Jonathan Sanchez is the one who'll be on the mound, and he'll face the Pirate ace Jeff Karstens.

In other news, I read that Pat Burrell's foot issue may be of the season-ending kind. What the heck? If he goes down, he'll be the 3rd member of the opening day lineup who's going to be out for the season!

So, now my boy Nate is the latest hurting Giant. Schierholtz apparently injured his hip when he scored from 1st last night in the 8th. Sigh. He's 4th on the team in OPS. Of course, the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th guys are all on the DL.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/10: 5th pitcher mess

In SF, we're spoiled by the fact that our 1-4 pitchers are all elite.

Then the 5th day comes around, and we get a Zito/Sanchez special:

Zito came back after his stint on the DL and started off good, then fell back into his habitual suckage:
    7/16 = 3.2 ip, 8 runs
    7/26 = 7 ip, 6 runs
    7/31 = 5 ip, 5 runs

Then they brought back Jonathan Sanchez. Yay, now we're saved.. no wait...
    8/5 = 4.2 ip, 5 runs
    8/10 = 4.1 ip, 5 runs

So.. I wonder if the Giants are going to try other options? Runzler? Surkamp?

if the Giants scored a just a wee bit more it wouldn't matter too much (5th starter dilemma)

Just when we thought a corner was turned last night today's turd of a performance happened.

Between Zito and Sanchez it's a matter of which is the lesser of two evils: homers or walks.

<< <i>if the Giants scored a just a wee bit more it wouldn't matter too much (5th starter dilemma) >>

Too many key guys are lost to injuries. You just can't replace guys like Buster Posey and Freddy Sanchez mid-season. Now with Nate and Beltran hurting, we're even further up the creek.

• D-backs by a .5 game. Tough stretch for them next week, Phils and Braves.
    I tweeted this earlier and I think it sums it up...

Then: Giants baseball...torture

Now: Giants baseball...garbage

It's official...the Giants sucked their way out of first place tonight. As Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News stated in his column, the Giants lack the "fire" they had last year. It's as if the roster is content with winning just one and are still trapped in the afterglow of last year.

It's absolutely frustrating when the Phillies can come back and win after being down 5 runs and Arizona can do it being down 6 runs. With the Giants if they go down by more than one run it's basically game over.

With Florida, Atlanta and Houston coming up in the schedule you would think with the exception of Atlanta it would be a ride in the park. Right now I'm not so sure and a part of me is thinking they'll somehow get swept by Houston.

A part of me thinks if they played a series against their AAA affiliate the Grizzlies right now the Grizzlies would win 2 of 3.

Let's see...the Raiders look better than last year but I'm thinking it'll be at best a 7-9 season for them. Coach Harbaugh for the 49ers looks promising but as long as Alex Smith is on the roster they'll perpetually suck. I mean we've waited 6 years for him to turn the corner and he finds a way to suck more and more. A's are nothing more than a glorified farm team, it seemed like in July they traded away most of their 25-man roster. Warriors suck (instead of drafting players that can play they use their draft picks to snatch up obscure players from all over the world in a half-baked attempt to look like a mini UN while drawing in insignificant international media). Sharks will probably win the division then choke in the playoffs like they always do. The last thing we need in the Bay Area is another team that disappoints. We've definitely got plenty of them.

Rant over for now...

<< <i>the Giants lack the "fire" they had last year. >>

The fire they had last year is on the DL. When you loose guys like Sanchez and Posey, everyone else suffers too.

Plus it looks like we're gonna lose our big deadline acquisition to the DL too, as Beltran can't swing the bat yet.

I think Belt needs to be given an ample opportunity to prove himself.

I've got the same gut feeling about Belt as I did with Posey and Pablo.

• Paul Goldschmidt with game tying HR in the 9th. Chris Young with game winner. D-Back 1 game ahead of the Giants.
    Yup. Dbacks' studly rookie 1st baseman is making a difference. SF's doing every thing they can to bury theirs, whether it's in the minors or on the bench.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/12: Giants break long standing home run record!!!

Most consecutive solo home run by a team. Giants hit their 20th today, breaking the previous record of 19, set by the Phillies back in 1914.

July 7th was when the solor homer streak began, and goes through 31 games. PATHETIC!!!!

Yeah, that's great. The Giants offense is so bad this year that you need to dig up dead-ball era teams to find a comparison!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't you just win the WS last season for the first time since moving from NY to SF? Wow, you guys established high expectations in a hurry, LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Didn't you just win the WS last season for the first time since moving from NY to SF? Wow, you guys established high expectations in a hurry, LOL! >>

The Giants offense last year was around league average. This year they're approaching all-time-worst levels.

To bad the Giants can't play the Giants. If they could their slump would be over in an instant.

THE SUCKING CONTINUES...

<< <i>Didn't you just win the WS last season for the first time since moving from NY to SF? Wow, you guys established high expectations in a hurry, LOL! >>

We in the Bay Area aren't Cleveland. Whether it be in innovation, lifestyle or sports we aren't content with being average or pretty good. If we're not the best it doesn't count.

Growing up with the 49ers (and Oakland A's) in the 80's and 90's we expected high standards. After one regular season loss the local media would go on and on about who to trade and what changes were necessary. It went from that to being happy our teams weren't in last place. It's about time we revisited that attitude.
    2011 SF Giants Thread 8/12: Cain shelled for two runs, Giants lose.

Brandon Belt's starting in Fresno tonight, not SF. Giants lost the moment they got on the plane w/o him.

<< <i>To bad the Giants can't play the Giants. If they could their slump would be over in an instant. >>

You think the Giants hitters will hit Giants pitching? Pff. That game would be 0-0 forever.

<< <i>2011 SF Giants Thread 8/12: Cain shelled for two runs, Giants lose.

Brandon Belt's starting in Fresno tonight, not SF. Giants lost the moment they got on the plane w/o him.

<< <i>To bad the Giants can't play the Giants. If they could their slump would be over in an instant. >>

You think the Giants hitters will hit Giants pitching? Pff. That game would be 0-0 forever. >>

If Zito or Sanchy pitched...

What would happen in that train wreck?

<< <i>
    If Zito or Sanchy pitched...

What would happen in that train wreck? >>

Hmm. Sanchez > Zito, so I'd say Sanchez. Sanchez is wild, but his stuff is filthy. Zito hasn't had any "stuff" for years.

The Giants AAA affiliate Fresno Grizzlies just hammered out 15 runs on 18 hits tonight.

Edgar Gonzalez (LF) went 4-6 with a pair of jacks and 5 RBI.
    Brandon Belt (RF) went 2-4 with a homer and 3 rbi.

All I know about Edgar Gonzalez is that he's Adrian's big bro and a career minor leaguer who's suddenly found some life in Fresno.

Belt should be with the Giants.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/13: Brandon Belt en-route to Florida to save SF's season (we hope)!

Belt was pulled in the 8th inning of last night's AAA game, and is reported to be on a plane to Florida as we speak.

However, the only time Belt gets called up is when someone gets hurt. Torres was limping last night, and Beltran hasn't played for a week.

I suspect that Beltran's gonna hit the DL, which will be an utter disaster. The Giants dealt their #1 pitching prospect to get this guy, and now he's might join one of the best DL's in the majors. Sigh.

However, Brandon Belt playing is another story. Bochey's come out and said flat out that he doesn't have confidence in Belt or his ability to hit MLB pitching. Considering how much Belt has ridden the bench this year, it looks like Boch would sooner put Matt Cain in the outfield than play Belt. image

Torres to the 15-day DL with a "leg contusion", Belt's time to shine.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/13: FreaKKKKKKKKKK!

Timmy made the Marlins offense look like the Giants' with a wicked 0 run, 2 hit, 10 strikeout performance.

Spent the afternoon in Muir Woods NM so I missed the game completely. While stuck in traffic I did read the wrap-up and here are the conclusions I've drawn:

Timmy had his A-game going.

The offense still sucks but they did get lucky a few times.

BWeez saves it again but did allow a couple base runners on before doing so.

It's almost as if for the Giants it's either shutout or nothing. Speaking of hitting, if Jonathan Sanchez can't pitch he could become a situational pinch hitter. He's one of the better hitting pitchers and I think his batting average is a bit higher than some others in the lineup.

<< <i>It's almost as if for the Giants it's either shutout or nothing. Speaking of hitting, if Jonathan Sanchez can't pitch he could become a situational pinch hitter. He's one of the better hitting pitchers and I think his batting average is a bit higher than some others in the lineup. >>

Well, unless the Giants call up someone else, Sanchez is the #5 starter. Zito messed up his leg again during his AAA rehab start.

The Marlins are doing some weird stuff. Logan Morrison, who's 2nd on the team in homers with 17, and batting with a .249/.327/.464 clip, got OPTIONED to the minors after today's game. When he asked why, he was told that he wasn't hitting well enough. Morrison told the media that he's angry and full of resentment towards the Marlin organization. Kinda weird to risk pissing off young talent with demotions when your team's 22 games out of first place.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/14: BRANDON BELT!

Giants won 2 in a row, wow....

Besides that, Vogelsong pitched a strong game, 7.2 ip, 2 runs allowed, and Cody Ross ended the Giants consecutive solo-homer streak.

But, more importantly (to me anyways), Brandon Belt finally got a start, and hammered a pair of mammoth homers.

I just hope Bochey doesn't look at what happened today and think "Mmm, pinch hitter" like he did last time Belt got called up.

Ross, Schierholtz, and Belt twice. 4 HRs. Giants need to do stuff like that more often!

yeah you have hammered it...or Belt did today.

maybe now the trick is for the Giants is to promote hitting coaches from the Grizzlies mid-season...every year?

Another "gut check" series. 4 games against the red-hot Braves in Atlanta.

Game 1: Bumgarner vs Hudson
    Game 2: Sanchez vs Delgado
    Game 3: Cain vs Jurrjens
    Game 4: Lincecum vs Minor

The last time these teams met, the Braves swept the Giants at AT&T Park in 3 games. That was a Giants team that had Posey, Sanchez, and Burrell.

However, now the Giants have Brandon Belt, Schierholtz 2.0, and the best DL in the league.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/15: The DL monster's jaws are open....

Crud, the team just keeps falling apart.

The team's best righty reliever Sergio Romo's looking to be DL-bound with an elbow issue.

Trade-deadline acquisition Carlos Beltran is not getting any better.

And worst of all, Panda fouled a ball off his foot in the first, and got pulled in the middle of the first inning.

Blood, flesh, and bones. All of those things are being taken out of Giants players this year.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/15: Wilson converts 2 run lead into 1 run loss.

Not much to say about this. Wilson started the bottom of the 9th with a 2 run lead, left with a 1 run loss.

His back has been bothering him though. Probably from all the sitting he's been doing.

I suspect that DL isn't done claiming victims this year.

<< <i>2011 SF Giants Thread 8/15: Wilson converts 2 run lead into 1 run loss.

Not much to say about this. Wilson started the bottom of the 9th with a 2 run lead, left with a 1 run loss.

His back has been bothering him though. Probably from all the sitting he's been doing.

I suspect that DL isn't done claiming victims this year. >>

The only ones fearing the beard these days are the Giants starting pitchers. MadBum gets some rare run support for another quality start and Wilson torpedoes it in 0.2 of an inning. Sore back or whatever there is no excuse for blowing a 2-run lead.

Word has it Romo is heading for the DL with a bad elbow.

With Sanchez pitching the Giants next loss will be tomorrow. No need to watch.

<< <i>With Sanchez pitching the Giants next loss will be tomorrow. No need to watch. >>

It won't stop me. I'm a moth to the Giants flame.

Soo, Boch is gonna make Panda take a day off or so to let his foot get better. No bone breakage, but a contusion none the less. A swollen foot would make it tough to play 3rd.

So, that makes one think that Beltran's gonna hit the DL. Otherwise, here's the bench:

Brandon Belt = in Boch's doghouse.
    Chris Stewart = backup catcher
    Mark DeRosa = injured pinch hitter who can't hit
    Carlos Beltran = injured player who can't do anything
    Panda = injured player who isn't being allowed to do anything

I'm thinking, Beltran gets DL'ed and Connor Gillaspie gets called up as a utility guy. He's hitting AAA pitching ok, and can field his position (3rd). Or, they go nuts and promote a guy to the 40 man roster like Gary Brown. Felipe Alou has been singing this kid's praises lately, and thinks he's MLB ready NOW.

Man, this whole Beltran deal has turned to crap.

It also looks like Sergio Romo's headed to the DL. Ugh. The 40 man doesn't have any decent relieves not already in SF. There's Dan Runzler, who they've been trying to convert to a starter this year, and Waldis Joaquin, who's made out of gasoline.

Lopez just crushes left handed hitters and was thowing just sick stuff last night. why not keep him in against the first two lefty's in the bottom of the ninth (assuming they are not pinch-hit) and then bring in a sore-back closer? this is a time for winning games not pride.

yeah they're busted up and broken this year, but last night Bochey should have played to win the game and f&*k Wilson's pride. Wilson will blame himself as all real professionals should.