Home Sports Talk

2011 SF Giants thread: Title Defense Failed

123457»

Comments

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Tonight:

Decent Dodgers pitching + Kemp + Bumgarner throwing BP + inept batting lineup (Beltran and Panda not withstanding) + Zito = Losing and no postseason.

Dodgers have good pitching and a few excellent bats. How their season record isn't better puzzles me.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Bochy's determination to always play the theoretical platoon advantage puzzles me. Even when it's not the best call, he does it.

After Pill's night last night, he deserved another game. Plus, he's been hammering right handed pitching. Huff's been dominated by righties all year.

BUT, theoretically, a lefty should hit a righty better, and a righty should hit a lefty better. Come on Boch! Look at your own guys' stats!

I don't know what Pill would have done tonight vs that sinkerball, but he deserved a shot.

Now we're on to AZ. Hopefully the Giants can sweep so we don't have to watch the D-Backs dancing on the field.

Giants switched their rotation up a bit and are starting Cain on Friday. I suppose if he wins, they'll possibly try Timmy on short rest for Saturday, and if that works, we'll probably see Vogey on short rest for Sunday.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    2011 SF Giants thread 9/23: Bullet-ridden and bleeding out, Giants head to AZ to face mathematical elimination

This is the moment the Diamondbacks have been wanting, a final battle with the "Defending World Champs" to further legitimize their conquering of the West. They've shuffled their best arms forward, and traded for a LOOGY today to (as it seems) specifically neutralize any late-inning Panda threats.

One win seals it for them.

The Giants Wild Card elimination number is 3.

The Braves are in Washington. The Nats are coming off of an inexplicable sweep of the Phillies in Philadelphia, and they've got Strasburg pitching tonight.
    The Cards are at home vs the Cubbies, who just took 2 out of 3 from the Brewers.

Bochy's post game interview...

What the.... he's conducting his post-game interview from the john!?!?

When your entire batting order not named Beltran or Sandoval is largely crap and ineffective you do not deserve to play in the postseason. I can't think of another team whose leadoff hitter bats .225
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

<< <i>When your entire batting order not named Beltran or Sandoval is largely crap and ineffective... >>

To be fair, Mark DeRosa's batting around .340 since coming back from the DL. He's just been solidly pigeonholed as a "super utility guy" and apparently Boch isn't interested in giving him starts in the middle of the infield.

I still fully expect something good from Brandon Belt... however it might not come until next year.

I want more Pill.

I think Belt will be good in the long run. He's in that awkward stage where he's too good for AAA but not ready for the majors. He has a few homers and a few spots of glimmer but this year has shown he isn't quite ready for prime time. Pill is older and has more experience and he seems ready to become an every day guy.

Unless he hits .350 next year Huff will probably get the Aaron Rowand treatment next summer. If he actually does hit .350 he'll probably be traded to become another team's rental.

DeRosa is a good team guy and he's a career .285 or so hitter. However he is 36 and it remains to be seen if they'll bring him back next year.

As for Keppinger, his BA has slipped a lot lately. Will management tender him a contract?

Last year was an excellent if not a career year for Torres. This year he's shown us why he's been a career minor leaguer.

For the most part the bullpen has been excellent. Most certainly they'll keep Romo. Romo has been awesome and he'll become a high priced closer some day. I hope they keep Affeldt and Lopez although Lopez will become expensive.

<< <i>If he actually does hit .350 he'll probably be traded to become another team's rental. >>

If the Giants are in contention, no way.

Look everybody, it's the post-2005 White Sox in SF!

It's the 8th inning but show's over on this turd of a season.

As for those East Coast guys who were saying the Giants won't win another one in at least 35 years, maybe they're on to something.

Cain pitches another quality performance and gets thanked with a loss. I wouldn't blame him if he's got one foot out the door. He's too nice of a guy to demand to be traded. Looks like in two years the Red Sox will have a new pitcher. Ditto for Lincecum. He's only one year behind but the train's on the same track.

The D-Backs rookie Goldschmidt must be a ROY candidate. Since he's been around he's been the perennial Giants killer.
    2011 SF Giants thread 9/23: Giants done, D-Backs clinch.

Seriously though, would any Giants fan want to see this broken team sneak into the playoffs to get humiliated?

<< <i>As for those East Coast guys who were saying the Giants won't win another one in at least 35 years, maybe they're on to something. >>

Come on, you're more negative than I am. How was this team supposed to compete when it's best hitters are going down with freak injuries?

Posey was the first to fall. Then Sanchez. Schierholtz went down next, and then just as Cody Ross started to heat up again, bang, he goes down.

The Stewart/Whiteside combo combined for 0.6 WAR. Posey was on pace to add another +4 WAR.
    Keppinger/Hall combined to give the Giants -1.2 WAR after Freddy Sanchez was on pace to provide another +1.3 or so.
    Panda's produced 6.1 WAR this season. If he didn't miss over a month, he'd probably have added another +1.2 or more to that total.
    Burrell, as banged up as he was, still provided the Giants with 1.1 WAR over the course of the season. Had he not been out all this time, he might have added another 1 win.
    Nate was one of our best hitters when he broke his foot and went down in August. At the pace he was going, he was probably going to add another .5 or so wins.

Break that down and
    Posey's loss = -3.4 wins
    Freddy's loss = -2.5 wins
    Panda's loss = -1.2 wins
    Burrell's loss = -1 win
    Nate's loss = -0.5 win

That's 8.6 losses due to injuries. Now, it's not a perfect measure by any means, however you have to take into consideration, the Giants replaced their injured players with inferior ones, in bulk.

Instead of having a catcher who bats #3 or #4, they had a pair of catchers who lived in the #8 hole. That, by itself, is huge.

Give those 8.6 wins back and everything changes.

2012 should be a good year, provided that the team doesn't get hit with a vast quantity of injuries again.

<< <i>Seriously though, would any Giants fan want to see this broken team sneak into the playoffs to get humiliated? >>

I'd take that over getting humiliated during the last week of the regular season.

It seems like everybody thinks getting Sanchez and Posey back will solve everything. How well Posey plays after recovering from serious injury is still an unknown. When the both of them were still around the team wasn't exactly tearing up the runs either.

Don't forget about Beltran. If Posey was still around that trade would have never happened. He's turning into a scapegoat for fans but in the last month he's been behind about half the total offensive output for the entire lineup.
    It's the bottom of the 1st and Eric "Jello ball" Surkamp walks four and gives up a half dozen runs. Game over.

Eric Surkan't...er...Surkamp is like Jonathan Sanchez and Barry Zito rolled up into one: a soft thrower who can't find the strike zone.

With Cain likely bolting next year and Lincecum the year after and Eric Surkamp being the organizations top pitching prospect, the days of good pitching are over. With the offense the way it is the days of the Giants being competitive in the division are done. If Surkan't, Joaquin, Runzler and Edlefsen are the future of Giants pitching they're royally screwed.

Forget all that lamenting for Zach Wheeler. His stats in the minors shows he's likely a middle rotation starter. He isn't the next Roy Halladay nor the next Matt Cain.

2010 was fun while it lasted. If they don't win it next year that window's closed for at least two decades.

Okay, here's a 7th inning update...Giants are getting blown out...

The power went out at Chase Field and the game's delayed. This is a perfect opportunity for the Giants to flee the state under the cover of darkness. They'd save a bit of dignity.

<< <i>2010 was fun while it lasted. If they don't win it next year that window's closed for at least two decades. >>

Folks thought the same thing after the "Bonds Window" closed. Look how it turned out.

It's not that doom-and-gloom for me.