Home Sports Talk

2011 SF Giants thread: Title Defense Failed

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Boch wouldn't have known that Wilson would melt down like that. Wilson should have handled it. 5th blown save of the year. He had 5 all season last year.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    2011 SF Giants Thread 8/16: SF's DL Beast consumes Sergio Romo. image

The Giants best reliever and righty assassin is now on the DL. No structural damage was found in his elbow, just swelling, so hopefully he'll be better on the 24th when he's elegable to get activated.

Dan Runzler's coming up from Fresno, where they've been trying to convert him into a starter. He started the season on the Opening Day roster, but played his way out of a job, racking up a 6.41 era and a 1.576 whip in 19.2 innings.

In the minors, he hasn't done much, posting a 4.17 era and a 1.570 whip in 49.2 innings of combo starter/reliever work.

Romo was an 8th inning shut-down set up guy.
    Runzler's a mop up guy.

At the start of 2010, folks thought Runzler had the stuff to be what Javier Lopez is to the Giants now: a shut-down lefty setup guy. That hasn't materialized.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/16: SF's DL Beast consumes Sergio Romo AND Carlos Beltran. image

Ok, now it's official, Carlos Beltran to the DL. He's eligible to come off on the 23rd, when the Giants begin a 12 game home-stand vs the Padres (2), Astros (4), Cubs (3), and D-Backs (3).

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/16: SF's DL Beast consumes Sergio Romo AND Carlos Beltran... and possibly Nate Schierholtz! image

Giants reporters say that Nate may have broken his foot with a foul ball last night and is going for x-rays today. This is unbelievable!

At this rate, fans better bring cleats and gloves to AT&T Park, cuz they might be needed to fill in!

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/16: SF's DL Beast consumes Romo and Beltran.. eyeing Schierholtz and Keppinger!!!! image

The bad news is flowing from Giants reporters!

Now they're reporting that Jeff Keppinger's going to get an MRI on his wrist, which he jammed in a collision with Freddie Freeman last night.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/16: SF's DL Beast consumes team

So, in addition to all these hurting guys...

Aaron Rowand is being held out due to a strained side... and in the 3rd inning today, Jonathan Sanchez hurt himself and got pulled from the game!

WTF is going on?!?!!?

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    With so many injured and/ or incapacitated maybe they can invoke the first ever MLB disaster draft.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

<< <i>With so many injured and/ or incapacitated maybe they can invoke the first ever MLB disaster draft. >>

Giants can't compete when their roster's all injured.

D-Backs dropped Halladay in Philly. They look like they're for real.

Tests are negative on Nate and Kep, so that's some good news. Sanchez is gonna be out for a while. The 5th starter problem just got bigger. Surkamp, anyone? More likely, it's gonna be Runzler + pen.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/17: SF's DL Beast eats other 5th starter

Jonathan Sanchez is back on the DL after spraining his ankle yesterday. Waldis Joaquin (RHP) was called up.

In 15.1 major league innings (in 2009 and 2010), he's given up 11 runs and has a whip of 1.957.
    In AAA this year, he's got a 3.16 era in 42.2 ip, with a 1.406 whip.

He was waved last year and claimed by the White Sox, but he refused to report and was granted free-agency. The Giants then signed him back a week later. He got added back to the 40 man roster a few weeks ago, and now he's back.

I'm guessing that Runzler's going to be used as a starter now in place of Jonathan Sanchez, and Joaquin will be the innings eating mop up guy, with Mota being promoted to more of a long-relief setup role.

UPDATE:
    2011 SF Giants Thread 8/17: Now Wilson's hurt.

Ok, apparently no DL move was made today involving J. Sanchez, and Waldis Joaquin was never called up. So, I guess Joaquin simply bought some tickets to the game and flew to Atlanta this morning. ???

However, Keppinger is unavailable, diagnosed with a bone bruse (no DL) and was told to take some time off. Brian Wilson's also unavailable due to elbow inflammation. ARAGH!!!

Well, Nate's back in there. So, he'll get to limp around in RF.

I'd be a lot more worried if Wilson wasn't injured and pitched like he did on Monday.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    2011 SF Giants Thread 8/17: Matt CAIN! Oh, and Whiteside hamburgered his face on a bad slide, leaving the game later.

4 of the 7 runs were scored on sac flies. Great game by Matty! 8 innings, 9 strikeouts, 1 walk, and 1 unearned run.

The bottom of the 9th got ugly really quick with a bad outting by Runzler and a horrid error (with 2 outs) by Cabrera on a ball lobbed off the bat at him. Ugh.

But, the Giants got the win and didn't loose anyone for multiple games! Whiteside face-planted on a bad slide, chopping up his face, and left later, but he's ok.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/18: Giants give Lincecum another reason to leave town.

There have been 7 games this season where Timmy's pitched 7 or more innings and has given up only 1 run. He's 3-3 with 1 no-decision in those starts. He's 11-10. He could be 15-7 if the Giants could do SOMETHING productive.

The Giants:
    2nd lowest runs allowed in MLB
    2nd lowest runs scored in MLB

A match made in hell.

The Giants better fix this soon, or their biggest studs won't sign here.

Lincecum: free agent in 2014.
    Cain: free agent in 2013.

And, I'd rather see Brandon Belt get at-bats and strikeout than see Aaron Rowand squat at home plate try (and fail) to squeeze out turds while the pitcher's playing catch with the catcher.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/19: Eli Whiteside on 7-day Concussion DL

So, apparently that face-plant he did while sliding on Wednesday that chopped up his face actually messed up up a bit more, and he was put on the 7 day Concussion DL.

Hector Sanchez was called up from AAA to backup Chris Stewart, I guess. Stewart's a better overall catcher than Whiteside, though his bat is slightly lighter (if that's possible).

There have been 39 different guys who have suited up for the SF Giants this season. Of those 39, 20 have spent time on the DL this season.

One look at the lineup tonight and I don't know if I should laugh, cry or wish I was an Astros fan.

Right now the Astros are up 2-0. I'll go ahead and call it game over and congratulations to Wandy for his complete game shutout.
    The Little League World Series is playing right now. Come to think of it, if the Giants played one of those little league teams tonight they'd still lose.

You'd think this series was the perfect opportunity to get back into the division race. After tonight's disaster against the worst team in baseball I'm a heartbeat away from declaring this season officially in the dumpster.

Tomorrow the Giants will give Astros SP Jordan Lyles (1-7, 5.31) the opportunity to feel like Roy Halladay for a day.
    2011 SF Giants Thread 8/19: Overwhelmed by the Astros.

When your leadoff man is a slumping Aaron Rowand, and your 2 hole hitter is a guy who's being out hit by a couple of starting pitchers on the team, you know that nothing good will occur. And, nothing did. Giants got shutout for the second day in a row.

<< <i>After tonight's disaster against the worst team in baseball I'm a heartbeat away from declaring this season officially in the dumpster. >>

I'm past blaming the players. Every hitter who has actually contributed something this season is on the DL or playing hurt. The injuries have stripped the team of it's most electric hitters, and the depth chart has had a layer stripped off of it.

Mark DeRosa started and bat 2nd. That tells you everything right there.

The thing that ticks me off is that Boch is pretending like Brandon Belt isn't there. I have no idea what Belt did to tick Boch off so badly, but Belt's been hitting LHPs better than RHPs, yet Boch seems dead-set on putting mostly righties out there vs LHPs, and mostly lefties vs RHPs.

From the available guys, this is a good lineup. This lineup won't get shut out.

CF Ross
    2B Keppinger
    3B Panda
    1B Huff
    RF Nate
    LF Belt
    SS Fontenot
    C Stewart
    P Bumgarner

<< <i>From the available guys, this is a good lineup. This lineup won't get shut out.

CF Ross
    2B Keppinger
    3B Panda
    1B Huff
    RF Nate
    LF Belt
    SS Fontenot
    C Stewart
    P Bumgarner >>

Are Keppinger, panda and Nate even healthy enough to play well?

<< <i>Are Keppinger, panda and Nate even healthy enough to play well? >>

Kepp, Panda, and Nate are worth more injured than Tejada, DeRosa, and Rowand are healthy.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/20: Overwhelmed by the Astros, again.

Well, they didn't get shutout.

When one of the best pitching staffs in the game gets rocked on conseuctive days by the worst team in the NL, I've got to wonder, are they even trying to win anymore?

The whole team's in a bad place right now with the injuries and the poor run support. The moment they signed Beltran, the whole team began to press, and the whole team has gone into a tailspin. Everyone started getting hurt, and the whole team's a mess.

Since Beltran joined the team, the Giants are 1-6 in their last 7 series, going 6-16.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/20: Overwhelmed by the Astros, again. AND Brian Wilson to the DL.

Well, there you have it.

Wilson tweaked his arm in the middle of blowing a save on Monday and has been out ever since. Trainers and doctors say that it's just inflimation, but Wilson's been dodging the media and being uncharacteristically silent. Now it's being reported that he's headed for the DL.

Steve Edlefsen, a righty, is rumored to be on a plane from Fresno to Houston right now. Steve's got a 5.44 era and a 1.724 whip in both A and AAA this season. He's on the 40 man, so that makes him easily available.

The team can't hit. The bullpen is compromised. The starting rotation is trying to carry the team on it's back and unable to do so.

Yup, Wilson to the DL. He's refusing to say anything to the media, and is deferring all questions to the SF Giants trainer. That can't be good.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/21: Belt and Panda go deep, bullpen throws 9 straight scoreless innings in 11 inning win.

Well, Dan Runzler's role as a spot starter this season looks like it came to an abrupt end. 1.2 ip, 4 earned, 3 hits, 3 walks.

The pen was awesome, even though Mota cashed in 2 of Runzlers runners. Belt showed off for the home town crowed with a 4-5 night (with a 3 run homer), and Panda delivered a clutch 11th inning 2 run shot to put the Giants ahead.

Still, 10 left on base by the Giants. Gotta get those guys in.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/23: Nate's out with fractured foot. image

He was seen in the clubhouse with a protective boot on his foot. X-Rays show a fracture.

image!!!

Not much time for something like that to heal. This could end his season.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/23: Cain, pen, defense, offense all blow it.

The Giants sucked on all sides of the ball tonight. Cain laid an egg, the pen laid an egg, the defense kicked it around, and the bats flopped.

The roster is too injured and nicked up to compete. Losing is the natural result of the cumulative effects of the injuries on this team. Winning is a fluke.

The starting pitching has now begun to press. They take the mound every day thinking "If I'm not perfect, we'll lose", and they're usually right.

It was just reported the Giants claim Heath Bell off waivers.

I was under the impression the Padres were going to try to resign him. Is this to provide an alternative to Wilson? Is this a tactical move to make him unavailable to the D-Backs and Phillies? Will he grow a beard to become the pudgier version of Wilson? Any thoughts?

How about Ramon Hernandez of the Reds? I would say he's definitely a priority.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    being behind in the standings with both said teams, they are ahead of them in their claim.

if he does clear and play Bochey will not allow him to sprint to the pitcher's mound and especially slide into it.

wouldn't want to see him on the DL with a pulled hammy or a twisted knee from catching a spike.

BTW it was obvious Cain did make contact with first base last night, but not obvious enough..i think it was a play Huff should have made on his own, but he bobbled the ball. i was impressed that Cain was on his horse covering the bag which should have been a 3U, IMHO.

<< <i>It was just reported the Giants claim Heath Bell off waivers.

I was under the impression the Padres were going to try to resign him. Personally I don't know what to think of this. Any thoughts? >>

The Giants claiming Bell means nothing really. Just like with the Cody Ross deal last year, the Padres can do one of 3 things:

1) give him to the Giants for free
    2) work out a trade (if the trade fails, the player is off wavers for the rest of the year).
    3) say "nevermind" and pull him off wavers and keep him for the rest of the year.

With waver claims, the team with the worst record gets the claim. So, by claiming Bell, SF is blocking the D-Backs and the Phillies from getting him.

With the Cody Ross deal last year, the Giants claimed Ross to keep him out of SD who needed a new outfielder. The Giants didn't expect that they'd get Ross, thinking that Florida would either pull him back or ask for a trade (to which the Giants could just say "no"). FLA shocked everyone when they let him go for nothing.

I expect the Padres to pull him back, but in the event that they want to work out a trade, they'll have 2 days to work one out.

If the Giants manage to get him, he'd be an awesome addition to the pen, especially with Wilson and Romo out with arm issues.

<< <i>How about Ramon Hernandez of the Reds? I would say he's definitely a priority. >>

Hernandez projects to be a type A free agent, meaning that if he refuses Arb, the team that looses him to free agency will get a supplemental pick AND the signing team's 1st round pick.

If the Reds think he'll accept arb, then they should trade him now. If they think he'll refuse Arb and test free agency, then they should keep him and collect the draft picks.

I guess this is a sign of the sad state the Giants are in right now. In tonight's lineup, only 4 out of the 9 guys on the field were SF Giants last year.

Cabrera SS
    Keppinger 2B
    Beltran RF
    Sandoval 3B
    Huff 1B
    Ross CF

Belt LF
    Stewart C
    Lincecum P

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/24: Timmy generates his own run support in win.

Lincecum didn't have his best stuff tonight, walking 5 batters in the first 4 innings, but worked out of the jams he got into, giving up only 1 run. PLUS, he drove in a run to support his own cause!

Beltran finally hit a homer, and Belt continues to produce now that he's been given consistent playing time.

Belt made a horrid base-running mistake, but he's in only his 2nd year of professional baseball. Rookies make mistakes. The fans let him have it though.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/25: Giants will watch postseason from their hospital beds.

Schierholt'z is likely to hit the DL as soon as this weekend.

Giants have dropped 3 of 4 vs the lowly Astros.

The Giants have scored the fewest runs of every team in the majors.

2011 SF Giants Thread 8/26: Eric Surkamp inbound....

It's been reported by the Richmond Flying Squirrels beat reporter that Eric Surkamp has left the team and boarded a flight to SF.

Surkamp's the organization's best pitching prospect now that Wheeler's gone. He's been dominating in AA this season:
    10-4 record, 142.1 ip, 2.02 era, 1.082 whip, 10.4 so/9, 3.75 so/bb.

Unless the Giants decided to hide him in a hotel room like they did with Waldis Joaquin a few weeks ago, they'll need to make a roster move to make room for him.

I can't see them releasing anyone, so someone's going to the 60 day DL. My guess is that it'll be Nate Schierholtz. He's got a broken foot and can't run. Kinda hard to play baseball if you can't run. That'll also free up some 25-man roster space.

However, if they're afraid of shutting Nate down for the season, they could move Pat Burrell over to the 60 day and still have him back on September 12th if they really want him back. Runzler would get sent to Fresno with that move.

Don't know about the roster moves but it'll be interesting to watch what Surkamp can bring.
    2011 SF Giants Thread 8/26: Bochy "shakes up lineup" with WORSE players... but they still win.

Blegh. Giants won, but they still looked horrid at the plate vs a wretched pitcher.

Eric Surkamp pitches a quality 6 innings (with help from some lucky defensive plays) and gives up 1 earned run and in return he receives one whole run in support. He definitely fits in as a Giants pitcher. He sort of reminds me of Matt Cain.

They won tonight but as for the offense, horrible would be an understatement.
    2011 SF Giants Thread 8/27: Giants win, but make garbage pitchers look like Greg Maddux

Surkamp looked good in his 6 innings of work today, giving up only 1 run. The Giants offense still looks like crap. The crappeir the pitcher they face, the crappier the offense gets.

Torres is getting activated tomorrow and will resume his CF starting duties, so I'm guessing ether Belt or Ross is going to the bench.

On a slightly different note, my father-in-law got tickets for the family to go to see the Fresno Grizzlies play the Sacramento Rivercats in Fresno. Fun time. Pat Burrell started in LF on rehab. He looked fine in the outfield, making routine plays and not making any mistakes. He didn't limp either, so maybe his foot's feeling better. At the plate, he looked poor: 2 strikeouts and a ground-out to 3rd.

Billy Crystal was there filming scenes from a movie he's doing where he plays a character named Artie Decker, the voice of the Fresno Grizzlies. They even had a big sign on the outfield wall that said as much, and introduced him as "Artie Decker" when he threw out the first pitch. A couple of folks who were sitting a few rows down from us had large signs that I think were part of the movie, but I couldn't really tell what they said. I only could tell that one sign said "Artie says..." on the top line.

Now that Torres is back, Cody hits the bench. He's been scuffling this month, going .179/.247/.321 in August. Andres has posted a .275/.326/.650 slash in his 9 rehab games with Fresno, including 2 doubles, 2 triples, and 3 homers. He didn't try to steal any bases though.

Sending Eric Surkamp back to the minors 1 day after he made a good MLB debut on the mound seems kinda cold, but it makes sense when you look at the schedule. The Giants have an off-day next week, and if they kept Surkamp, his next start would be vs the D-Backs. So, instead of having Surkamp start, they can have Cain start on full rest. They're reporting that Surkamp will be back on Sept 6th to make his start, but the math doesn't add up, since a player needs to be in the minors for at least 10 days.

Scheduled pitchers, as I think they should be scheduled:

Aug 28 = Cain vs Astros
    Aug 29 = Lincecum vs Cubs
    Aug 30 = Vogelsong vs Cubs
    Aug 31 = Bumgarner vs Cubs
    Sept 1 = off day (skip #5 spot in rotation)
    Sept 2 = Cain vs D-Backs
    Sept 3 = Lincecum vs D-Backs
    Sept 4 = Vogelsong vs D-Backs
    Sept 5 = Bumgarner @ SD
    Sept 6 = Surkamp @ SD

• I get the panda and fake beards but, what is the story behind the giraffe?
    2011 SF Giants Thread 8/28: Giants = lose season series to Astros, 3 games to 4

Garbage.

<< <i>I get the panda and fake beards but, what is the story behind the giraffe? >>

Brandon Belt's tall and has a weird long neck, and tends to walk with his head out in front of him. Some Giants fans (and the broadcaters) say he looks like a baby giraffe when he does that. The name stuck.

theres also the whole "awkward" part to, that deals with his suposed awkward people skills and general uncooridnated look about him.

2011 SF Giants : Congrats to the AZ Diamondbacks, NL West champs

Well, I won't have to be worried about being glued to the TV this October.

Those baseball analysts saying the Giants won't win another one in the next 40 years are on to something.

Yeah it's only the 7th inning but here's the rundown:

Lincecum...garbage. He turned into Barry Zito. If we're lucky it's only for one night.
    Offense...garbage
    Defense...garbage

There's only one thing the Giants are good at right now and that's turning no-name awful pitchers into Nolan Ryan for a night.

Arizona keeps winning and the Giants keep humiliating themselves to the worst teams in the league. Wait, that's a bit off...the Giants are the worst team in the league.

Let's call up all of Fresno. They'd have a better chance than this roster.

Season is officially over.
    Bottom of the 8th coming up and to lead off is the guy all Giants fans believe is the team's savior...

Let me guess, he'll strike out like he always does.

He can't hit either.

It's too bad we're in San Francisco. If this was Philadelphia they'd be chukking batteries at the home dugout.

<< <i>Those baseball analysts saying the Giants won't win another one in the next 40 years are on to something. >>

That's actually a pretty silly thing to say. Giants got hosed with the injuries that took the core of the team away.

Posey = gone. F. Sanchez = gone. Nate = gone. Wilson = gone. Burrell = gone.

Every transaction the Giants made on offense (outside of the Beltran deal) was a downgrade.

Tehaha = downgrade from Renteria.
    Stewart = downgrade from Posey
    Keppinger = downgrade from Sanchez.
    Cabrera = downgrade from Tehaha!

My take... Timmy's pissed off at his own team. Zero runs, errors, Tim may have finally said f**k it in the 6th.

Giants faced a guy with a 5+ era and let him 2-hit-shutout them.

<< <i>It's too bad we're in San Francisco. If this was Philadelphia they'd be chukking batteries at the home dugout. >>

You really want to see more guys go on the DL?

<< <i>It's too bad we're in San Francisco. If this was Philadelphia they'd be chukking batteries at the home dugout. >>

You really want to see more guys go on the DL? >>

They couldn't do much worse especially on the offense side.

I understand the lineup has been decimated by injuries but most of the losses were still very winnable games if only they could get a few clutch hits here and there. Something has to be done about the hitting because the lineup as a whole tonight couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

This roster needs to be tweaked in the offseason. I'm just afraid the excuse "we'll get Posey and F-Sanchy back next year and everything will be alright" will be Sabean's justification to do nothing to improve the lineup.

<< <i>They couldn't do much worse especially on the offense side. >>

No, knowing the Giants luck, it'll be pitchers who get nailed and sidelined.

<< <i>This roster needs to be tweaked in the offseason. I'm just afraid the excuse "we'll get Posey and F-Sanchy back next year and everything will be alright" will be Sabean's justification to do nothing to improve the lineup. >>

What the Giants do about the shortstop situation during the off-season will be an early indicator as to how things will turn out.

• EstilEstil Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it a little early to concede? I just checked the standings and your Giants are only five games back with about a month left to go. Don't give up so easily. It's not over till you're out mathematically. Remember in 2009 when my Cats had their horrific NLT season? I didn't give up until we were knocked out of the conference tournament. And even in the NLT I (and most of Big Blue Nation) at least tried to be good sports about it (we do have 1946 and 1976 NLT titles after all).

So cheer up and don't give up defending your hard earned title.
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars

<< <i>Isn't it a little early to concede? >>

The players already did.

<< <i>Isn't it a little early to concede? I just checked the standings and your Giants are only five games back with about a month left to go. Don't give up so easily. It's not over till you're out mathematically. Remember in 2009 when my Cats had their horrific NLT season? I didn't give up until we were knocked out of the conference tournament. And even in the NLT I (and most of Big Blue Nation) at least tried to be good sports about it (we do have 1946 and 1976 NLT titles after all).

So cheer up and don't give up defending your hard earned title. >>

When the team scores 3 runs and everybody calls that an offensive explosion you know (and the players know) it's over.

At this very moment I'm right by AT&T Park and it has me thinking...how many runs will they score tonight? 0? -1? I'm not going to tonight's game and I'm glad I won't be because you can't get arrested for throwing a mug at your tv but you can't do that from the stands. The way the Giants have been playing lately I'm shocked my tv still works.
    49ers, Raiders, A's, Warriors and now the Giants. The last thing we need in the Bay Area is another team that sucks.

The SJ Sharks are a decent regular season team but they suck just as equally when it really counts.