Home U.S. Coin Forum

2010-P Grand Canyon ATB in Proof-Like finish found -- Others?

Taken directly from the Grand Canyon Puck thread.

My barber received these today. He had two different finishes. The sandblast matte finish and a brilliant finish. Both are P's. He wanted me to check if the brilliant one is by chance in error? He thought they both would have been the sandblasted look. Here are some photos I took on the spot to post here with his question. Thanks for any answers.

BRILLIANT:
imageimage

SANDBLAST:
imageimage

Comments

• PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    Most excellent! Thanks for the pics. I'm excited to get mine and check them out. With the Mint's boondoggles lately, it's great to see one of them might have been a screwup with finishes? I'll take that!
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Wow, something to spark the interest, wonder how many of these "errors" got out. I have not received mine yet, but hoping for the missing sandblast finish!!
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Submit the non vapor blasted coin IMO.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Submit ASAP and may want to consider when to sell.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Potentially major find! It'll be interesting to see how many more float to the surface.

I agree: submit it and get it attributed.
  • deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    I'll get it out there for him. He just got his first PCGS graded coin grade today.

I did email coinworld, so hopefully my barber will get a mention in CW image. We shall see!
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!! Hopefully this turns out to be something great!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a genuine processing error. However, since it is just a "one off" error (so far) it might not have a lot of collector interest.

If it turns out that a whole batch skipped the vapor blasting step, it might become a collectible variety.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>Are the top two pictures the obverse and reverse of the same coin?

TD >>

Yes, they are. I didn't have good light to use in the barber shop. Both sides were brilliant.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the top one whats consider PL? (REF Listing)

Or do they not allow that designation with the SP pieces?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My buddy who continued to buy just stopped by with the latest 2 for me to submit for him, I can definitly say that his grand canyon was NOT as shiney as yours, But It Does show way less matte finish than the yosemite. So maybe the machine ran out slowly and some were less untill there was no solution left and yours shiny? All I can say is compared to the yosemite you can see the difference. Guess will wait and see what others get. We decided to send them both tomorrow as the grand canyon being so much brighter than yosemite maybe get a 70? Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    better than missing edge lettering. image

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

<< <i>Looks like a genuine processing error. However, since it is just a "one off" error (so far) it might not have a lot of collector interest.

If it turns out that a whole batch skipped the vapor blasting step, it might become a collectible variety.

TD >>

Another member in the Grand Canyon thread thought his was missing the sandblast as well. It'll be interesting to see if a small pop of brilliant coins appear. That coin posted by devious looks like it could go PL.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HUBBA HUBBA

A possible DMPL P Puck?

This IS interesting. I just got my lot of GC's today -- still sealed. HMMMM. To open or not...

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    One came today. Sanblasted. Two went off to MCM sealed for $350 each. Two more are coming.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Taken directly from the Grand Canyon Puck thread.

My barber received these today. He had two different finishes. The sandblast matte finish and a brilliant finish. Both are P's. He wanted me to check if the brilliant one is by chance in error? He thought they both would have been the sandblasted look. Here are some photos I took on the spot to post here with his question. Thanks for any answers.

BRILLIANT:
    imageimage

Methinks you got a real winner with this one, devious!!!!!
    Wonder what Jason Fishman(Mr. Frosted Freedom Platinum) will have to say about it????

So here's the deal, I am preparing another submission to PCGS this evening. Should I get it from my barber and submit it under their error service?
  • i would call them and ask what they think ..... keep us updated image
    Can't answer your question Devious, but hope you don't live up to your handle!

Care to share the Mint order number for that finish-nude piece?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remarkable and very interesting.

I like both looks!
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>Can't answer your question Devious, but hope you don't live up to your handle!

Care to share the Mint order number for that finish-nude piece? >>

First off, whatever my name has to do with me posting, I don't know. Let's just say...I was once famous on the Internet (even before Al Gore invented it). If you choose not to deal with me because of my handle, so be it. I'm not offended. But I do question why your remark?

As for the mint order number, I'll request it from my friend and post back here if he gives it up. image
  • silverman68silverman68 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭
    Cha Ching!!

<< <i>First off, whatever my name has to do with me posting, I don't know. Let's just say...I was once famous on the Internet (even before Al Gore invented it). If you choose not to deal with me because of my handle, so be it. I'm not offended. But I do question why your remark? >>

Extraordinary coin presented.

de·vi·ous/ˈdēvēəs/Adjective
    1. Showing a skillful use of underhanded tactics to achieve goals.
    2. (of a route or journey) Longer and less direct than the most straightforward way.

No implied malice -- just couldn't resist the obvious. Beware of humor (often bad) on this forum! (and congrat's on a potential great find)
  • Devious,
    On mine the reverse is more PL than the obverse.

Is it the same level of PL on both sides of your barber’s coin / do you see any waxy residue
    that was present on some of the bullion coins?

Also..when you look at it today..look closely at the lettering on the reverse.
    On mine around the lettering there appear to be little mounds / raised surfaces running into the alphabets…
    hard to explain but IF you see it you will know what I am referring to - around the letters in “canyon”.
    I am looking at it at 16X...Thanks

As some have suggested one possibility is that whatever is used in the sand blast process was running out (reservoir was empty).

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Care to share the Mint order number for that finish-nude piece?

Yes, that would be helpful to those of us with unopened boxes.

Is anyone intimately familiar with the vapor-blasting process?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Care to share the Mint order number for that finish-nude piece?

Yes, that would be helpful to those of us with unopened boxes.

Is anyone intimately familiar with the vapor-blasting process? >>

I beg your pardon??????? This is a family-oriented forum!!!!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So here's the deal, I am preparing another submission to PCGS this evening. Should I get it from my barber and submit it under their error service? >>

I would, why not. I think this is a quick score probably and I'd slab and flip that thing as fast as possible.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK...so with a production error now looming...how many of you are ordering additional GC coins?
    I'll keep everybody posted. The puck is going to be sent out today with an order. I'll be picking it up this afternoon for shipment.

Thanks for all the comments.

Ceylon, I will respond to your inquiry more in detail when I have it in hand before boxing it up to send to our host. But I did not notice any 'wax' residue when I examined it yesterday. I just noticed it was in superior condition to the matte proof puck image

<< <i>Devious,
    On mine the reverse is more PL than the obverse.

Is it the same level of PL on both sides of your barber’s coin / do you see any waxy residue
    that was present on some of the bullion coins?

Also..when you look at it today..look closely at the lettering on the reverse.
    On mine around the lettering there appear to be little mounds / raised surfaces running into the alphabets…
    hard to explain but IF you see it you will know what I am referring to - around the letters in “canyon”.
    I am looking at it at 16X...Thanks

As some have suggested one possibility is that whatever is used in the sand blast process was running out (reservoir was empty). >>

Ceylon, would you mind posting some pics? It would make for an interesting comparison.
    As some have suggested one possibility is that whatever is used in the sand blast process was running out (reservoir was empty). >>
    image I sent in my buddies this morning but for anyone still waiting you can really see the difference between one of the other ones and this one. The face and neck area on washington is much brighter than the other ones and looks to me as tho part of it didn't get the matte finish. Gonna be interesting to hear from others as to what theres looks like and yes I scraped up enough dough to buy ones of these last night..............................Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I got one of these "shiny" ATBs also. Got it last Friday and saved it because of the look. I shot a quick picture (really does not show the true lack of vapor blast but I gave it a shot). It is unfortunately going back to the mint because of the sizable chunk out of Washington's hair in the curls!!! I have no way to post the picture so I did the best I could.

Jeff
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might help the sales of these....and they need all the help they can get.

Very nice looking ATB...............image

• << <i>I got one of these "shiny" ATBs also. Got it last Friday and saved it because of the look. I shot a quick picture (really does not show the true lack of vapor blast but I gave it a shot). It is unfortunately going back to the mint because of the sizable chunk out of Washington's hair in the curls!!! I have no way to post the picture so I did the best I could.

Jeff >>

You are kidding .........aren't you?????

<< <i>

<< <i>I got one of these "shiny" ATBs also. Got it last Friday and saved it because of the look. I shot a quick picture (really does not show the true lack of vapor blast but I gave it a shot). It is unfortunately going back to the mint because of the sizable chunk out of Washington's hair in the curls!!! I have no way to post the picture so I did the best I could.

Jeff >>

You are kidding .........aren't you????? >>

I think his picture is more in line with the one I sent in and not the picture of the first OP. Yes there is a difference BUT I didn't think that our host would call mine an error. Whereas the first one posted the whole coin looks unmatted. It does appear there might be different levels as to how much each coin got blasted. I would put a premium on the ops coin while these others may get the 70 because of the brightnest. Only time will tell. lets see some more woohooooo Enjoyimage

Link to My Registry Set.

Mr. Gelner,

Thank you for the images. We had received two reports with images from
    readers. A staff writer has queried the Mint on the coins and we hope to
    have news coverage in the Aug. 1 issue.

Sincerely,

William T. Gibbs, News Editor

-----

They are out there image

• << <i>A staff writer has queried the Mint on the coins >>

So much for any new shipments having them.....image
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might have been better to not have contacted the media and the Mint this soon! Although, the coins may be in the hands of the distributors so may not be recalled at this point. One can only hope.
    ----- kj
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    "You are kidding .........aren't you?????"

No I am not kidding. The OP's picture was taken with the plastic capsule on. My picture was taken with the capsule removed. After I took the photo, I did kind of chuckle a little because the lighting and angle make it look like the regular finish with an extra bright Washington. In hand, it really looks like most of the vapor blasting effect is not there. I have 5 of each of these issues and can assure you that there are differing levels of vapor blasting with this particular coin having the least. If I can get a better picture showing this tomorrow, I will. I also have 3 more in boxes that I will be opening later this week.

Jeff

P.S. Nobody commented on that giant chunk out of Washington's hair!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make money fast. Sell !
    Who knows? Maybe the full vapor blasted coins will be the scarcer variety.....
    ----- kj
  • Not the best of pics..The streaks are on the capusule

Also a pic on the letter N (second N in Canyon).
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not the best of pics..The streaks are on the capusule

Also a pic on the letter N (second N in Canyon). >>

Looks vapor blasted to me.

I don't think it will matter the degree of blast. If your puck is blasted, I think you're done.

If ya got a a non-blasted bullion appearance P 2010 ATB coin, submit it.
  • I would like to see other examples.

That being said…it looks different in hand and is tough to capture it

Hopefully, more / better pics surface in the next few days.

<< <i>I would like to see other examples.

That being said…it looks different in hand and is tough to capture it

Hopefully, more / better pics surface in the next few days. >>

I have my friend's puck. I'll take pictures this evening. I am eating dinner at the moment now. Just browsing. And wanted to say this. image
    Yeah, I think we need more pictures. Some of those provided seem to have some indications of the blast finish, but perhaps much lighter. I also suspect the TPGs will not grade as anything different if there is any trace what so ever of the blast finish.

Definitely interesting though, and I suspect there very well may be a few without any indication of the blast finish.... we will see what turns up. Meanwhile, better order while you can.....
    ----- kj
    I agree - ceylon's pics "appear" to have a matte finish. They gotta have the PL finish to be contenders.

If you can look directly into the coin and see yourself -- you have a winner.
  • Darn, should I open or not????image
    My camera's battery is dead, working on recharging it now enough to get some photos. I'll post better pictures soon. This one (the one in the original post) has no sign of the finish anywhere on it.
    Okay, I just looked at it. Here's what's up. The reverse is brilliant. Completely untouched. Okay...but the OBVERSE has been wiped from the right of GW portrait SE all the way across. It's covered in hairlines. So I really wonder if this particular specimen would be worthy of sending in because of those hairlines? At this point, I've determined that it would come back as an error but genuine holder. Why would they wipe these at the mint? And there's a lil strike through which shows in the original post NW field of the coin. It's tiny but its there. Hrmph.

I kind of wish the other fellow who said he had sent it in would had confirmed whether or not the one he sent in for a friend had hairlines. They were hard to see just by looking at it. We never even bothered to look for flaws, but under my 60 watt incandescent bulb in the bathroom, I saw them right away. They look like a single wipe from NW-SE across the entire obverse. i wonder if this was a part of the minting process before the blasting stage? The reverse did not have the same, although there were a few minor hairlines.

Order number 37797750 for those who inquired.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file