Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2010-P Grand Canyon ATB in Proof-Like finish found -- Others?

Comments

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see the pics. Even if one side is PL, that is worth certification -- if deemed worthy by the service. Many of these have die polish, especially in the bullion finish.

Perhaps other error experts can contribute.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    These are NOT die polish lines. These are hairlines. I asked the coinworld editor to confirm whether or not the other reports noted any hairlines across the entire face of the coin...
  • Options
    Real hairlines, agreed that it sounds like your piece was rough handled. It would be interesting to see what the coins look like either side of yours. Of course, there is no guarantee that they were boxed in order of striking.

I have a sealed box that is 81 orders from yours...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Devious,
    I agree with your assessment in that there is some sort of cleansing process that takes place at some stage of the process.
    The hair lines are / is the waxy residue being wiped clean. On mine it’s below the ear.
    (I mentioned the waxy residue earlier on and asked of you to look at it closely)

IMO, The lack of PL (bullion versions have non pl's) on mine is caused by this cleansing process
    and the coin does not have vapor blasting. The other P mint’s I have…have raised surfaces (lack of better term)
    caused by whatever they spray on both sides of these P mint coins. There is no evidence I can see of anything taking place on my coin.

Also, One big issue here is a lot of folks bought the coin and sold it sight unseen.
    Ergo, the dealers / final buyers have different variations of the coins. My 2 cents is that
    there are 3 or 4 different finishes / variations of the coins out and about.

Something happened during the final finishing stages of these coins…what is it? Anyone...

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These are NOT die polish lines. These are hairlines. I asked the coinworld editor to confirm whether or not the other reports noted any hairlines across the entire face of the coin... >>

Well my buddies yosemite was opened so I had to get that one sent in to our host and YES I could see the difference between the two but thought it wasn't as much as your post. Surely someone else that has received this can put it next to any other ones and you can see the difference. I too do not think our host would say my buddies coin was an error but you can tell the difference between the old one and new one. Gonna have to wait and see how its graded and will look at it more closely............ I have heard alot of people sold theres to MCM maybe someone from there knows more? Looking on ebay there are a few listed but its to hard to tell from the pictures the numbers maybe a clue will have to see.......... Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If somebody wants a premium (ie will pay a premium) sell it. I mean really, steamblasting a coin's surface or not should not have much material value for the coin; I think it would be a lot different if it were a device or lettering or actual minting varietal.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...I opened mine last night (it was normal), saw a gauge in the middle of George's face, and shipped it back for an exchange this morning.

So, as usual, I didn't hit the error coin lottery!
  • Options
    stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    Here are a couple of comparison images of a GC "shiny" Puck and a GC "normal" Puck. I apologize for the photography as I am at work and do not have any quality equipment, but I did try to control for angle of reflection and area of coin. I think it will be apparent from the pictures which is the shiny puck. I agree that my coin is more of an example of a difference in the magnitude of the vapor blast rather than the complete lack thereof. Interesting anyway! Watch out - BIG PIctures!

Jeff

• Options
    I did want to say that I opted not to send that puck to PCGS until AFTER we are aware of what took place and whether or not PCGS will even slab these ones. I didn't want to spend my friend's money in case it came back in a genuine holder. If PCGS agrees to grade these at a later date, we'll send it in then. But until then, there's no reason to waste the money on having them slabbed. Imagine that, a oversize puck slab with a Genuine label image.

Yes, the obverse is covered in hairlines, and unless PCGS okays these to be slabbed, it just seems like nobody should send them in just yet. It appears that the unblasted ones are riddled with these hairlines on the obverse only.
  • Options
    Wonder if I should call our host since my box gets there tomorrow and surely they could see the difference from yosemite to grand canyon one, Its that obvious just don't know if they would consider that an error. The ones totally lacking any matte look at all, will be the ones that start out with the premium and yes people will pay for one without the matte finish and the P on it but looking at your pictures the first one looks like the one I sent in and your second one looks totally matted. Need to hear and see more of these. The cheeks and the neck are really bright on the ones that are partially matte my coin was on hold and now has changed to in process today figure its worth the chance....Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Jeff, thanks for the visuals.

tommy, although I have never submitted a coin to be graded (do buy them),
    the TPG’s should be notified of the various finishes / non finishes that folks have seen and have in their possession.
    This is some sort of a “processing error” that originated at the source (US Mint).
    Also, I think they (PCGS) would need to compare a GC (finished) VS GC (Unfinished)

Devious, this statement below…did you see more in person or others seeing it?
    "It appears that the unblasted ones are riddled with these hairlines on the obverse only."

• Options
    well i had to order a few more just to see if i get lucky and receive one .... Damn thing has me buying more now... Its a plot from the mint to increase sales image
  • Options

<< <i>well i had to order a few more just to see if i get lucky and receive one .... Damn thing has me buying more now... Its a plot from the mint to increase sales image >>

image they got me, Also talked with our hosts and sent in email with this link to make them aware and they talked as tho they will pull my order and maybe they can tell me if there going to consider this an error or not. Again my coin was different compared to the old one and new one the face and neck are just brighter. So will wait and see what they say. Really surprised no word from anyone at mcm or anywhere else? Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I have 2 more unopened GCs with very similar order numbers. I will open them later today maybe post some results if I get them in time. My problem is that since my "Shiny" coin is the big chunk out of it, I will be forced to send it back to them mint.

Jeff
  • Options
    rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    Just spoke to my dad and asked him to check his newly received GC puck. He told me that the finish is not "frosty" but that it looks to be proof like
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I had to put an order in to the mint... just to see what may show up! The previous poster may be right... sales are lagging.... time for the Mint to pump up the interest some!
    ----- kj
  • Options

<< <i>I have 2 more unopened GCs with very similar order numbers. I will open them later today maybe post some results if I get them in time. My problem is that since my "Shiny" coin is the big chunk out of it, I will be forced to send it back to them mint.

Jeff >>

You may want to think about sending it back if its without the finish even with the gouge it might be worth more. Plus by having 2 more to open you should see if those are any different from each other. I still think there are different versions of these, one is without matte at all than theres a partial matte face and neck are bright than the regular version. Rodzm would love to see a picture of dads and makes you wonder how many of these are out there? And in what stages. Sure the article in coin world will figure some of the mints processing of these..... Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    Agreed Tommy - more pics/reports are needed to see if there really is something to this. There has to be quite a few forumoids with these now, seems like we'd hear more reports yea or nay.

Mayby the OP should change the title of the post to something more stimulating -- like "2010-P Grand Canyon ATB in Proof-Like finish found -- Others?"
  • Options

<< <i>Agreed Tommy - more pics/reports are needed to see if there really is something to this. There has to be quite a few forumoids with these now, seems like we'd hear more reports yea or nay.

Mayby the OP should change the title of the post to something more stimulating -- like "2010-P Grand Canyon ATB in Proof-Like finish found -- Others?" >>

Stolen straight from you. Done! image
  • Options
    A man of action -- well done! ( if I do say so...)

• Options
    Well I received an email from our hosts they have my package, never got one of those before so my guess is they did pull my order and will look at them. Still cannot understand why others are not commenting, even if you got one full matted would like to hear from those who purchased. If coin world is going to do an article you would think there has to be more. Is it quiet because everyone is out searching for these? Or is it that there are only a few of these? Has the mint stopped sending these out? Anyone waiting for an order ? My order is showing in process so will see......Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    A relative of mine placed an order on July 11, the day before this thread started. It was supposed to ship on July 14 but the next day, it was changed to July 20. Since then, it's been pushed back. Now it's July 23. Either they are checking what's left or running low.
  • Options
    and the search goes on .... anyone want to guess the value of this item or variety if it comes to that
  • Options

<< <i>and the search goes on .... anyone want to guess the value of this item or variety if it comes to that >>

$1 million dollars image

• Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

My additional order of 7/13 has been cancelled.

So no more chances from the mint from that point on I would guess.

bumanchu
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and the search goes on .... anyone want to guess the value of this item or variety if it comes to that >>

50.00 extra for PL finish, enough to cover postage and gradingimage-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    I got mine and looks like a normal matte surface too me. Usually keep sealed but had to open this one but no luck. Nice looking coin. Off to Florida for grading image
  • Options
    waiting for the next 2.... if they are blasted .. going back to the mint
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I looked @ my four P pucks and there is variation in the blast finish on all of them. None look exactly like another.

Are you guys shooting for a judgement like weakly struck vs. hammered strike and its impact on the grade? No blast vs. light blast vs. heavy blast?

Maybe PCGS is curious about the appearance variation in the P puck to see if they can make a new grading market; Error for no blast, SLB for Super Light Blast, AB for Average, HB for Heavy. I wouldn't put it past them. Look what they did introducing DM + PL after they would only grade MS.

Sorry to be a pooper - unless a P puck has absolutely virgin bullion appearance, I don't think the variation in the degree of matte finish is that big a deal. MHO.

• Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I first noticed a difference in these finishes a couple of pucks back. Some seemed to be "more" blasted than others. So unless you've got one that somehow missed the process altogether, I don't really understand what all the fuss is about.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>I looked @ my four P pucks and there is variation in the blast finish on all of them. None look exactly like another.

Are you guys shooting for a judgement like weakly struck vs. hammered strike and its impact on the grade? No blast vs. light blast vs. heavy blast?

Maybe PCGS is curious about the appearance variation in the P puck to see if they can make a new grading market; Error for no blast, SLB for Super Light Blast, AB for Average, HB for Heavy. I wouldn't put it past them. Look what they did introducing DM + PL after they would only grade MS.

Sorry to be a pooper - unless a P puck has absolutely virgin bullion appearance, I don't think the variation in the degree of matte finish is that big a deal. MHO. >>

Well this is one reason the thread was started and thanks for adding to it, this is what I have been asking for days as to how many variations are out there. You"re saying all 4 of yours are different from each other? Any of them completly naked? I have already said and thats why I sent my buddies in didn't think ours was that big of deal, but if there are ones out there completely void of the matte finish than yes I believe those should be labeled error as they have missed a process. I think its very interesting as to what may have caused this. I mean come on these were all made last year, so in that time period these have been sitting around and no one at the mint noticed the difference in the finish? I could tell as soon as I compared the one to another and yes if its that obvious than the tpgs need to grade accordingly. I can tell you mine was alot brighter than the full one, now will that help or hurt the grading. I would think shiney 70 dull 69 again will see what our host thinks. Don't you all think that the finish on these should be the same everytime? Thanks for the input keep them coming Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options

<< <i> Don't you all think that the finish on these should be the same everytime? >>

No. You might expect that, but that's not the way it is.

I work in manufacturing bottles, I guarantee the goal is to produce the exact same thing every time, but variations in the processes cause differences in product sent to the customer.

<< <i> I would think shiney 70 dull 69 again will see what our host thinks.; >>

Judging from complaints I've read from posters saying they got 68 or 69 and expected 70 since nothing was wrong with the puck defect-wise, I think it possible that the final grade for a P puck might come down to it's aesthetic appeal to the grader, i.e., the degree of blast.

Under a 5x loupe, I've got one that looks like 240 grit sandpaper, two that look 380 and the last one about 480.

Someone needs to line up a bunch of SP70s and see if some are heavier gray finish and some are lighter blast finish.

I bet you will see both heavy gray and lighter, shinier finishes in SP70. MHO.

Good luck on your experiment with our host! Let us know what happens!

Peace, bro.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I am not mistaken, the 2001 MS Buffalo Commem Dollars came with (2) different finishes as well. That situation, however, never achieved lift off to the collectors.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    The 08w rev of 07 SAEs had degrees of "satin" as well that resulted in no interest. Had there been a PL version though, it would have been different.
  • Options
    I believe I've got one PL as well - out of 3 "P" GC one look quite shiny, compared to the other 2 - looking more like bullion GC but with the "P" mark

Do I need to submit it with "Variety Attribution" service to be identified as possible PL?

• Options
    Please share? Got pix?
  • Options
    I've got pictures but cannot upload - got "file too large" error
  • Options
    How big? I'll post them off my photo site. PM you my email.

Edited to add for ShinyThingsinPM:

• Options
    It appears that the reverse is more reflective than the obverse -- but it's a bit hard to tell with the lighting. I'm adding an actual DMPL (bullion strike) obverse here for comparison.

• Options
    It's definitely not DMPL - but can compete with other graded PLs I have
  • Options
    Mine looks PL minus / regular grade. Take a look at a regular 69 / 68 (Non PL) for comparison.
    Best is when viewed in natural light (sun light).

Nice pic.
  • Options
    Please examine your pucks closely. Hairlines are present on the obverse. Please look closely (and say something if they're not there. The few I have been made aware of all have hairlines, and I am questioning whether or not you'll have these giant pucks in a Genuine slab...best to wait until our host is conclusive about what occurred) and I'd wait on sending them in until more is known. Just my two cents.

Edit to add: Yes, the reverse is also much more reflective on the example I took the OP photos of.
  • Options
    What seems to be your concern on a coin which has no finish and originated from the US mint?

Whether some are more PL than others is secondary issue and is another possibility.
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    Looks vapo-blasted to me, but definitely on the light side. I think for these to have a premium or be considered an error, they will have to have a complete lack of blasting.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Looks vapo-blasted to me, but definitely on the light side. I think for these to have a premium or be considered an error, they will have to have a complete lack of blasting. >>

I also agrees that it looks vapor-blasted to me from the ShinyThingsInPM's picture.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    I would chime in that that reverse does NOT look vapo-blasted to me. The obverse is inconclusive due to pic issues
  • Options
    Thanks all for your opinions - I'm thinking I'll submit it to see what comes back to lock in FS label.

Whatever PCGS will think it is - for fifty bucks it will match my GC MS69PL bullion puck well as a set image
  • Options

<< <i>I would chime in that that reverse does NOT look vapo-blasted to me. The obverse is inconclusive due to pic issues >>

Both obv. and rev. look blasted to me in those pics.

There are posts on coincommunity that describe the vapor blast process in action by a guy whose seen it - coin is held in a collar, "Both sides of the coin receives the treatment at the same time", so perhaps unusual circumstances can have one side blasted and another side not blasted? Check it out -

5 oz blast description thread

I can see it coming - the P puck market is going to get subdivided into smaller niche markets based on finish appearance appraisal by a grader. Just like the bullion pucks got subdivided from MS into MS, DM + PL.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just as an aside, when I was checking my Grand Canyon (well v-b'd) I noticed how strikingly different the v-b'd coin looks compared to the shiny bullion issue. Look at the picture above. See how the boulders in the foreground jump out at you? Now look at a regular coin. The same effect can be seen in other areas.

I did check and there is no difference in the die details between the bullion strike and the v-b'd strike, as there is between the five-ounce coins and the circulating quarters, but I thought that the visual difference was worth mentioning.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file