Home U.S. Coin Forum

Message Board advertising

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hopefully this includes 'market report' links and such, too. >>

Wow! Joined sometime in the last 12 days and complaining about the "Market Reports"?
    Who were you?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• "A happy workforce is a productive workforce , it just makes sense. Ban personal use of the computers during lunch or breaks and what you get is staff sloping off to the toilet on your time with handheld internet ready devices."

Spoken like a true employee, not a manager.

A workforce that isn't monitored and managed is a workforce that steals your money by not working MORE than a workforce that that is monitored and managed.

And if that isn't the case, then why do ALL successful businesses have managers?

"A happy workforce is a productive workforce"........nah........I say, "Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile" AND "when the cat's away, the mice do play."

And yes, that is spoken like a true manager.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS offers an advertising program for those who are interested. If you are interested please contact Rebecca Tran

Advertisers help pay for these forums. They deserve at least a fair shot at your business. Anyone who turns off the ads shown on these pages will be banned.

Additionally, the boards are not to be used to sneek in free ads for whatever you are promoting. More and more I see people with multiple links, large images, animated gifs and all sorts of distractions in thier signature lines. Signature lines are turning into grandstands. This is not permitted.

There is no problem if you have a signature line with a single link to your Registry set or your website. Just don't go overboard and please stop all the marketing.

We are going to start enforcing this immediately by blocking anyone who violates this policy. Fair warning. >>

But that doesn't necessarily answer the question. Many posters, both dealers and collectors, have signature lines that you and/or others might not like, but which are within the size parameters previously mandated by PCGS. Hopefully, any changes to that will be at the direction of Don Willis and not you. And I'm not taking up for myself (or anyone else, in particular) here, as my signature line consists of my name, only.

Where in the above from Don's quote does it say anything other than a link is allowed?

My signature line says it all. >>

Where in prior signature line guidelines from PCGS did it say only a link was allowed? My point is that changes are apparently being made. But that doesn't mean that signature lines not in compliance with new guidelines necessarily violated previous ones.
  • dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    I had to change mine this evening due to a PM from Don Willis. I did this under protest! There is nothing more to do beyond that.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • WOW!

simply

WOW!

my computer is set to block all pop up ads from any website I visit- does this mean that I could be banned from here because my security settings will not allow pop up advertisement?

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    There are no popup ads here.

Russ, NCNE
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I had to change mine this evening due to a PM from Don Willis. I did this under protest! There is nothing more to do beyond that. >>

Why would you do it under protest... you still have the same link and information, the only difference is it's on one line. FREE advertising is still FREE whether it's on one line or six lines? I'm confused?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get it.

Seems pretty simple.
    Thanks for the Boards PCGS.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

<< <i>WOW!

simply

WOW!

my computer is set to block all pop up ads from any website I visit- does this mean that I could be banned from here because my security settings will not allow pop up advertisement? >>

You should see banner ads at the top of this page... a popup ad is one that opens a new window.
  • dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I had to change mine this evening due to a PM from Don Willis. I did this under protest! There is nothing more to do beyond that. >>

Why would you do it under protest... you still have the same link and information, the only difference is it's on one line. FREE advertising is still FREE whether it's on one line or six lines? I'm confused? >>

It is in the way Mr. Willis worded it. The way I had it originally was better.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I say, "Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile" AND "when the cat's away, the mice do play."

And yes, that is spoken like a true manager. >>

A "true manager" who has disgruntled employees unwilling to do beyond what is minimally required. What is your employee turnover rate?
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • dbcoin said:

"I think this is towards the guy who is selling ediblecoins in his sig line. Maybe you haven't notice the 500 posts in the last 3 days"

Sorry, buddy, you are wrong. Don's complaint clearly isn't about guys who post a lot, it's about what he said it was about, namely:

"multiple links, large images, animated gifs and all sorts of distractions in thier signature lines."

I know why you got confused. I know why you got confused because I read all of your posts. People like myself that read all your posts know why you get confused.

• << <i>A "true manager" who has disgruntled employees unwilling to do beyond what is minimally required. What is your employee turnover rate? >>

Sorry, I don't have any disgruntled employees. My employee turnover rate is zero at this time.
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    So the stuff I see is two small ads at the top - currently Collectibles Insurance and Harry Laibstain. And a PCGS ad at the bottom I also see occaisional Google ads around the top and bottom. Is this what all the dustup is -over with the loyal forumites? They just do not seem like very much at all. Never had a pop-up here.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Changed mine at request of Mr. Willis. Had to trim mine to just my name. Even though within the number of characters limit, it kept formatting a new line for each link. So my free "advertising" that I am a PCGS dealer and that I sell PCGS coins is gone.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
    We coin collectors/dealers are a sensitive lot.
  • <<We are going to start enforcing this immediately by blocking anyone who violates this policy. Fair warning.>>

Not sure how much warning a post is. I still see graphics in some people's sig lines. Perhaps a PM to the offenders? It sounds like some people are getting real warnings. It would be fair if all offenders get real warnings.

• << <i>So the stuff I see is two small ads at the top - currently Collectibles Insurance and Harry Laibstain. And a PCGS ad at the bottom I also see occaisional Google ads around the top and bottom. Is this what all the dustup is -over with the loyal forumites? They just do not seem like very much at all. Never had a pop-up here. >>

I actually enjoy the PCGS ads at the top, and I have found some nice coins that way. I'm not sure why anyone would want to block those, and yes, I did have dial-up a long time ago and viewed these very pages. The images/banners that PCGS sponsors don't appear to pull that much bandwidth to justify cutting them off.
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Is my sig, that I've had ever since my first post on this board, and which is included in this one, ok?

<< <i>
    I actually enjoy the PCGS ads at the top, and I have found some nice coins that way. I'm not sure why anyone would want to block those, and yes, I did have dial-up a long time ago and viewed these very pages. The images/banners that PCGS sponsors don't appear to pull that much bandwidth to justify cutting them off. >>

4% of Americans still live in areas with no high speed internet, and about half of those must make a toll call to the nearest city with a dial up number. I would hope there is an exception for these people to might need to use a text only mode. What about mobile applications where the cell phone company strips out many banner and flash ads to save themselves bandwidth?
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • CarlWohlforth said: "Not sure how much warning a post is......... Perhaps a PM to the offenders?...... It would be fair if all offenders get real warnings."

Absolutely.....excellent suggestion.....in fact, to be fair, they should hire a team of lawyers to review all 30,000 poster's sig lines and then send them warnings by certified mail.
    Don Willis could set aside all of his other work to oversee the three year project. Should only cost........oh.....about........three million dollars.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no issue with the new policy, especially if it is enforced consistently.

I hope that my tribute to a friend and recently deceased forum member is not considered offensive.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never thought of it.

Don must be angry that the US Mint and the Bank of New York are too cheap to pay for real advertisements! Hmmm, I have been giving the US Mint and the Bank of New York a free ride in my signature line!!!!!!!!!!

imageimage
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
    Besides, where are the banner ads?

I never see them when I am reading posts here.
  • the generosity here with signature lines exceeds most MB's guess you guys don't get out much?

one text only link should be ok, no graphics.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the generosity here with signature lines exceeds most MB's guess you guys don't get out much?

one text only link should be ok, no graphics. >>

Doesn't seem that difficult to understand---------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gosh it is nice to see the siglines be a reasonable size!

now if we could do something about some of the annoying oversized, moving, and flashing avatar pictures, we'd really be getting somewhere!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • +1
  • <Absolutely.....excellent suggestion.....in fact, to be fair, they should hire a team of lawyers to review all 30,000 poster's sig lines and then send them warnings by certified mail. >

OK, it isn't have to be fair, just fairly enforced. Mods should just send a PM and give some time before clicking "ban". Should add 30 seconds per ban.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody else find it strange that one of the Google ad links at the top says:
    Avoid PCGS Gold Coins Don't start buying gold until you read this free report www.certifiedgoldexchange.com

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hardly ever post here so I posted so I could see my sig line. lol Is it violating this rule?
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will miss seeing my three gold dollars in the sigline.

I feel bad some people will know less about gold dollars by not seeing and following the link I had to my collection site.

A sad day.image
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Advertisers help pay for these forums. They deserve at least a fair shot at your business"

Agreed!! These forums are simply fantastic. I greatly appreciate those who sponsor them.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind the ads. I've done business with some of the people who place ads here, and it reminds me to click on them now and then to check out their new inventory. That's how I ended up with the Panama Pacific 2.50 gold in PCGS MS-66 that is in my Pan-Pac set. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

<< <i>I will miss seeing my three gold dollars in the sigline.

I feel bad some people will know less about gold dollars by not seeing and following the link I had to my collection site.

A sad day.image >>

Then why don't you include that link instead of the one you have, which leads to an on-line resource that isn't even operational at this time?image
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't mind the ads. I've done business with some of the people who place ads here, and it reminds me to click on them now and then to check out their new inventory >>

Same here!image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
    Take a look at my revised signature line. Does these meet the new rules? It is all on one line.

Thanks.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...ahhhhh, yes. BUT is it RIGHT to be surfing these forums while working? >>

The only time I'm surfing the forums, (and the internet), is while I'm at work. I just hope I don't get caught.

Russ, NCNE >>

...image....image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...it's good to hear you were contacted first instead of getting nuked with no warning. ya gotta give don that

one. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

• << <i>So then I would understand that my sig line is one of the big offenders.
    Can I reduce the size on everything and then it will be ok?

Stefanie >>

Stephanie?
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So then I would understand that my sig line is one of the big offenders.

Stefanie >>

Stephanie? >>

It's a different "Stefanie". image

<< <i>So then I would understand that my sig line is one of the big offenders.

Stefanie >>

Those images are 173,000 bytes, about 33,000% bigger than the limit of 255 Unicode characters.

• << <i>

<< <i>Hopefully this includes 'market report' links and such, too. >>

Wow! Joined sometime in the last 12 days and complaining about the "Market Reports"?
    Who were you? >>

Bochiman - I have been reading the forums for about as long as you have been a member. I just recently decided to create an account; please don't make me regret that decision by making assumptions.

Thank you.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is...Sheesh.
    I'm having a hard time understanding the complaints by some posters here, as if they're being treated unfairly or subjected to some kind of hardship.

Our hosts offer these boards as a courtesy; a courtesy that happens to cost money to establish and maintain... and without the paid ads these boards don't generate CU a dime's worth of income.

So, if your life isn't complete without displaying that image of your monster toners, goofy graphics, family pics, high end registry coins, memorials to people most of us don't know, or favorite pets... and/or shilling your site-shows-auctions-etc.... then I suppose you'll just need to learn to do it on one reasonably sized line.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

• << <i>So then I would understand that my sig line is one of the big offenders.

Stefanie >>

Stefanie - that is a shame. Your sig line was one of my favorites. Every time I see one of your posts, I spend a minute looking at those beautiful coins and tokens. image

merse

<< <i>All I can say is...Sheesh.
    I'm having a hard time understanding the complaints by some posters here, as if they're being treated unfairly or subjected to some kind of hardship.

Our hosts offer these boards as a courtesy; a courtesy that happens to cost money to establish and maintain... and without the paid ads these boards don't generate CU a dime's worth of income.

So, if your life isn't complete without displaying that image of your monster toners, goofy graphics, family pics, high end registry coins, memorials to people most of us don't know, or favorite pets... and/or shilling your site-shows-auctions-etc.... then I suppose you'll just need to learn to do it on one reasonably sized line. >>

I have no protest with regard to the signature line issue, but disagree with you about these boards not generating "a dime's worth of income" without the paid ads. That aside, you probably weakened you own argument by belittling others, unnecessarily.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    I agree with and welcome the change. I only hope I'm not blocking something I don't know I'm blocking! image I do see ads at the top of my screen though! image I hope you get it worked out Stefanie! I'd hate to see you not posting here!
    edited cause I meant: I'd hate not seeing you posting here!image
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will miss seeing my three gold dollars in the sigline.

A sad day.image >>

I think you can add both your sites on one line. image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file