Home U.S. Coin Forum

Message Board advertising

13»

Comments

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a bit frightened at the prospect of losing my privileges, so rather than risk it to some CA kid scanning the Boards who doesn't know me or my history here , I bagged my KryptoniteComics "You Suck" that I was so proud of . . .

Maybe sometime in the future I will re-add it if I can figure out how to put it in just one line . . .

I'm not a seller, competitor, advertiser, or challenger to PCGS, but technically, I might have been in violation as my sig line ended up in more than one line (honoring the "You Suck" from KryptoniteComics for the NGC Black I got)

Crap . . .I was so proud of that "You Suck" too . . .

Drunner
    (Now with no Sig line--but memories of the 'You Suck' will live !!)
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>All I can say is...Sheesh.
    I'm having a hard time understanding the complaints by some posters here, as if they're being treated unfairly or subjected to some kind of hardship.

Our hosts offer these boards as a courtesy; a courtesy that happens to cost money to establish and maintain... and without the paid ads these boards don't generate CU a dime's worth of income.

So, if your life isn't complete without displaying that image of your monster toners, goofy graphics, family pics, high end registry coins, memorials to people most of us don't know, or favorite pets... and/or shilling your site-shows-auctions-etc.... then I suppose you'll just need to learn to do it on one reasonably sized line. >>

I have no protest with regard to the signature line issue, but disagree with you about these boards not generating "a dime's worth of income" without the paid ads. That aside, you probably weakened you own argument by belittling others, unnecessarily. >>

if it were not for the CU Forums, I would have hundreds of naked half dimes. Because of my involvement here for the past five years or so, I have more than a hundred PCGS (exclusively) half dimes and two or three darn nice registry sets. More than a hundred grading fees, more than a hundred attribution fees, and more than a hundred TrueView images. Six coins in the grading pipeline too...including my first Secure Plus (which I learned about on these forums). My involvement with the CU Forums has generated more than a dime. I agree with Mr. Feld
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It was a toss up for me. I had links to my variety set which has photos of all the varieties needed for the Mercury Dime With Variety set, so others could find the varieties, a link to my web page with the varieties, a link to my main page, and ebay. The link to ebay, and my site were removed as I was in violation of the new rule. Making the decision on which to keep my variety resource or my set. Well the variety resource page I think is more educational than my set, so that one wins. I could have put them both on one line, but I don't know if that is stretching the rule. I see a lot of members still with more than one line and more than one link. I hope they get a chance to make the changes in time.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• How's my sig line?
  • bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

Sig line, sig line, did you say sig line???
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up on this...
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As with others, I agree the board has generated income for PCGS because, without it, I wouldn't have a LARGE number of PCGS coins, nor would I have submitted a fair number for myself, and others, as we held (or flipped) some. Without the board, the demand would have been, and would be again I honestly believe, less.

However, I have seen over the years as more than a few folks always wanted to push the envelope with what they could get away with. Even when people were asked for sigline pics within a certain (reasonable) size, folks pushed that for one reason or another...and many whined if it impacted them. Same with the self-promotions.....there used to be no reason when they were within reason to have issues, but some folks went, imho, beyond reasonable and, on the ones who have a business, I agree with Don that there is a method to advertise so, in respect to PCGS, they should use that rather than ignore it and go for the "free" advertising.

I do think the "single line" can be a bit extreme, but again, I have watched as people put quick lengthy/large siglines in and didn't care of the impact to others (reading from a mobile device, etc). If folks would have stayed reasonable and not continued to push and push on things, I doubt this would have come about.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This probably not the time to be coming out like this ...

... but

I like this place

I'm not skeered.
    As long as you let me keep submitting, i will love you.

• RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    I'd be happy if all commercial-related links, images, text etc. be omitted from signature-lines.

As much as I like my signature-line/picture I'd just as soon see signature-lines go away altogether.
  • I do not quite understand why there all these references to needing the sig lines to be "one line"

From DW's OP...

"There is no problem if you have a signature line with a single link to your Registry set or your website. Just don't go overboard and please stop all the marketing"

A SINGLE LINK is what he asked for... and he suggests that folks who wish to promote their business... do so AS A BUSINESS... in other words... PAY for appropriate advertising...

You want your friends and neighbors putting up billboards in your front lawn just because they visit and maybe gave you some gifts over the years? I know that is not quite the best analogy but geez folks... get over it and move on...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    SeaEagleCoins needs to read all the posts because a few posts later DW clarified

<< <i>One line per signature. You pick what you want. >>

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm having a hard time understanding the complaints by some posters here, as if they're being treated unfairly or subjected to some kind of hardship.

Our hosts offer these boards as a courtesy; a courtesy that happens to cost money to establish and maintain... and without the paid ads these boards don't generate CU a dime's worth of income.

So, if your life isn't complete without displaying that image of your monster toners, goofy graphics, family pics, high end registry coins, memorials to people most of us don't know, or favorite pets... and/or shilling your site-shows-auctions-etc.... then I suppose you'll just need to learn to do it on one reasonably sized line. >>

You seem to have no conscience for other peoples lives but your own. Very immature post in my opinion!!!!

• << <i>SeaEagleCoins needs to read all the posts because a few posts later DW clarified

<< <i>One line per signature. You pick what you want. >>

>>

My bad... duly noted and correction made... thanks Dog image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    Actually, I don't blame you for skipping over most posts in most threads.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

You seem to have no conscience for other peoples lives but your own. Very immature post in my opinion!!!! >>

No... I simply take issue with the sense of entitlement that some DB regulars get, both on this site and others... as if it is their God-given right to post anything they wish and that any rules to the contrary are "not fair". And yet I'M the one being immature? image

Also... I expected a round of chiming in about how much revenue this board supposedly generates PCGS. I am referring to the operation of the boards themselves not generating income w/o the ads. But...that said, I can just about guarantee you that if this board went poof tomorrow, CLCT stock wouldn't drop a dime. In fact, without the extra cost and hassles, heck- it could go up imo.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    Down to one sig line to my personal comcast website. Not selling anything. I just post photos of some of my past coins like errors and such.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Down to one sig line to my personal comcast website. Not selling anything. I just post photos of some of my past coins like errors and such. >>

That must hurt; I've never past a coin! Wait, maybe that's passed a coin? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it even possible for PCGS to know if you are blocking ads or not? image
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know . Im not taking any chances.

I think we have to buy all the advertised items also.
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Is it even possible for PCGS to know if you are blocking ads or not? image

<< <i>Is it even possible for PCGS to know if you are blocking ads or not? image >>

Should I answer? Maybe I'll answer and then edit my post and remove my answer. What to do... what to do? image
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Good thing I'm displaying the ads I guess image

• << <i>Good thing I'm displaying the ads I guess image >>

Yes, you are right!
    It is surprising that Progressive Insurance and that bimbofreak are not YET plastered on this website.
  • Not to appear, or seem dumb but does this mean I need to edit out one of my statements on my sig line? Neither is an ad to go somewhere else and does not compete with the paid advertisers.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

<< <i>Not to appear, or seem dumb but does this mean I need to edit out one of my statements on my sig line? Neither is an ad to go somewhere else and does not compete with the paid advertisers.

Ron >>

Simply place them on the same line.
  • SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    Is it OK if we ignore the ads? Or will there soon be a requirement that we have to click on the ads as well or get banned?image
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope I am not blocking any ads I am not supposed to ... I currently see two up top and one down below ...

If I am not in compliance Don, please have a moderator PM me, and I'll see what the heck I did (or am doing) wrong

I don't post a whole lot, but I sure do appreciate this place image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
    deleted.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I don't really know what's possible on the forums, but is it possible for offending siglines to be deleted instead of members being deleted over offending siglines?
    I'd hate to see the forum lose contributing members over a sigline that could have been deleted.
  • I'm not trying to sell anything, but I would like to buy. Maybe this is marketing in a sense in violating of the "Signature Line", if it is maybe someone from management could PM me and I will remove it. image
  • I'm not sure why people keep wondering if their sig lines are going to create a problem or not. It seems pretty straightforward to me:

Here:

Don't have "multiple links, large images, animated gifs and all sorts of distractions" in your signature line - not lines; it's singular.

How do I know one sig line will not create a problem and two might? Here's another quote:

"There is no problem if you have a signature line with a single link to your Registry set or your website." Seems pretty clear.

My suggestion: Make your sig line one line.

Also, I wouldn't expect an email or PM from anyone giving you personalized service on this issue. Don is actually a really nice guy so probably a very short PM to Don with a simple question like: "Is my sig line OK?" would I suspect be alright. But as the President of PCGs, he probably doesn't want to have a long string of PMs with anyone over this. Just my take on it.
  • I was wondering if you mind the posts regarding our local coin shows?
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What happens to those that generally frequent other forums and happen upon this one?

Good for you.

<< <i>What happens to those that generally frequent other forums and happen upon this one? >>

Hopefully you become coin collectors... specifically collectors of PCGS slabbed coins! image
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Additionally, the boards are not to be used to sneek in free ads for whatever you are promoting. More and more I see people with multiple links, large images, animated gifs and all sorts of distractions in thier signature lines. Signature lines are turning into grandstands. This is not permitted.

There is no problem if you have a signature line with a single link to your Registry set or your website. Just don't go overboard and please stop all the marketing.

We are going to start enforcing this immediately by blocking anyone who violates this policy. Fair warning.

One last friendly reminder before this post fades away. Thanks to everyone who has complied.

• << <i>There is no problem if you have a signature line with a single link to your Registry set or your website. Just don't go overboard and please stop all the marketing. >>

Why don't you just charge for the commercial links in the signature lines? The businesses will write it off as "advertising expense," which is what it is. That way the dealers will continue to get the benefit of it alerting potential customers, wherever they go.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There is no problem if you have a signature line with a single link to your Registry set or your website. Just don't go overboard and please stop all the marketing. >>

Why don't you just charge for the commercial links in the signature lines? The businesses will write it off as "advertising expense," which is what it is. That way the dealers will continue to get the benefit of it alerting potential customers, wherever they go. >>

If they want exposure here, they'll buy a banner ad that runs 24/7/365 rather than paying to advertise on a tiny sig line that only shows up when they post, where maybe ten others might see it...twenty if it's a hot thread perhaps... and even then only if they look at that post on that thread. Considering how quickly threads fall off here, that would be extremely poor bang for the buck. For that to be effective they'd have to post here constantly, and anyone in business fulltime doesn't have time for that.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

• << <i>If they want exposure here, they'll buy a banner ad that runs 24/7/365 rather than paying to advertise on a tiny sig line that only shows up when they post, where maybe ten others might see it...twenty if it's a hot thread perhaps... and even then only if they look at that post on that thread. Considering how quickly threads fall off here, that would be extremely poor bang for the buck. For that to be effective they'd have to post here constantly, and anyone in business fulltime doesn't have time for that. >>

Oh, come on, I'm talking about a nominal charge, for a nominal listing; "www.coins-r-us.com, and we specialize in whatever, thank you very much." The injustice, if you haven't yet figured it out, is that this forum is supported, in part, at least, by paid-up commercial advertising, and yet a lot of the members, here, have been circumventing that scheme by advertising for free in their signature lines. I'm not saying stick those members up for the cost of a banner ad. But, let's be reasonable. They ought to be charged something if they're using those lines as commercial advertising space. Your point on the limited exposure in the lines should obviously be a mitigating factor in the charge.

I might as well pick on those complaining about not being able to block out the paid-up banner advertising, too, so nobody feels neglected. How would you like it were you that paid-up banner advertiser and PCGS allowed the members to block you out? I can understand why that won't be tolerated, too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file