Home U.S. Coin Forum

Message Board advertising

PCGS offers an advertising program for those who are interested. If you are interested please contact Rebecca Tran

Advertisers help pay for these forums. They deserve at least a fair shot at your business. Anyone who turns off the ads shown on these pages will be banned.

Additionally, the boards are not to be used to sneek in free ads for whatever you are promoting. More and more I see people with multiple links, large images, animated gifs and all sorts of distractions in thier signature lines. Signature lines are turning into grandstands. This is not permitted.

There is no problem if you have a signature line with a single link to your Registry set or your website. Just don't go overboard and please stop all the marketing.

We are going to start enforcing this immediately by blocking anyone who violates this policy. Fair warning.

**********************************************************************************************************************************
There seem to be a lot of posters who have not seen this. We are posting it again for a couple days after which we will stop with the warnings and just start blocking people.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Comments

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gulp...how about links to a BST listing?
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gulp...how about links to a BST listing? >>

I dont think that is what he means.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Gulp...how about links to a BST listing?

That's fine. Your sig line is perfectly OK.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of us aren't dealers but have links to ebay auctions. Do we need to kill these? No problem on my end. I'd just want to be sure to play by the rules.

Thanks,
    Lance.
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Lots of us aren't dealers but have links to ebay auctions. Do we need to kill these? No problem on my end. I'd just want to be sure to play by the rules.

One line per signature. You pick what you want.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lots of us aren't dealers but have links to ebay auctions. Do we need to kill these? No problem on my end. I'd just want to be sure to play by the rules.

One line per signature. You pick what you want. >>

I see some LONG signature lines in the makingimage

<< <i>

<< <i>Lots of us aren't dealers but have links to ebay auctions. Do we need to kill these? No problem on my end. I'd just want to be sure to play by the rules.

One line per signature. You pick what you want. >>

I see some LONG signature lines in the makingimage >>

The character limit is pretty short once you add in a link or two.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    My signature block contains a list of positive BST transactions. Is this permissible?

Edited to add: thank you for providing these boards and giving me an opportunity to participate.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I have my personal website linked in my signature right now, and I was planning on adding a link to the new topical, internet-only coin club I founded recently on the 15th. Neither are selling anything. Is that still allowed or will I have to pick one?
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone who turns off the ads shown on these pages will be banned. >>

Are you referring just to the banner ads or also the Google ads?
  • dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS offers an advertising program for those who are interested. If you are interested please contact Rebecca Tran

Advertisers help pay for these forums. They deserve at least a fair shot at your business. Anyone who turns off the ads shown on these pages will be banned.

Additionally, the boards are not to be used to sneek in free ads for whatever you are promoting. More and more I see people with multiple links, large images, animated gifs and all sorts of distractions in thier signature lines. Signature lines are turning into grandstands. This is not permitted.

There is no problem if you have a signature line with a single link to your Registry set or your website. Just don't go overboard and please stop all the marketing.

We are going to start enforcing this immediately by blocking anyone who violates this policy. Fair warning. >>

I could understand what you're doing if a big-name dealer is too cheap to get a decent ad. But to small-guys like myself who do not have really huge advertsing budgets (since, in my case, I operate out of my home), this sounds like were being "singled-out"! Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • This message board was set-up to share the enjoyment and maybe share some knowledge (very little in my case) image of coin collecting...not to sell coins or promote your self-interests.
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS offers an advertising program for those who are interested. If you are interested please contact Rebecca Tran

We are going to start enforcing this immediately by blocking anyone who violates this policy. Fair warning. >>

I could understand what you're doing if a big-name dealer is too cheap to get a decent ad. But to small-guys like myself who do not have really huge advertsing budgets (since, in my case, I operate out of my home), this sounds like were being "singled-out"! Correct me if I'm wrong on this. >>

I think this is towards the guy who is selling ediblecoins in his sig line. Maybe you haven't notice the 500 posts in the last 3 days

<< <i>

<< <i>

I could understand what you're doing if a big-name dealer is too cheap to get a decent ad. But to small-guys like myself who do not have really huge advertsing budgets (since, in my case, I operate out of my home), this sounds like were being "singled-out"! Correct me if I'm wrong on this. >>

I think this is towards the guy who is selling ediblecoins in his sig line. Maybe you haven't notice the 500 posts in the last 3 days >>

I have not seen the edible coins guy but agree this is not aimed at most. I take this post as dont take away revenue from out hosts. Leave the google ads on, you can ignore them but leave them on. They dont hurt you. If you want a fancy banner ad flashing GIF have it at the top of the page with the others who pay for it.

Dorancoins, I think you are wrong on your post. I dont think you are being singled out and I think you read to much into the post. I do not think your sigline is overboard.
  • This is a used computer. I don't know what ads you're talking about. I see some on here. What do they look like? You're going to shut me off?

and what about the slanted, so-called, non-government/non-political sigline quotes people have slid-in under your no-politics policy? They're still fine I suppose?
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...more answers coming soon. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I too am a small fry when it comes to selling coins (part time), and I hope to one day become large enough to afford a banner ad, but I agree with Don on this point.

I have never bothered turning any ads off, and since we all enjoy using the forum it is important that money is generated somewhere, this helps to keep the forum free for everyone. Some will say perhaps the forum should be paying members only, and come as part of your membership (we've beat that horse a few times already), but that would drastically reduce the number of members, interesting posts and shared knowledge.

I also don't believe its equal for members to have large banners below each post when companies have to pay (probably quite a bit) for displaying their banners at the top of the page.

Don has been fair in saying members are allowed a couple of links as long as they are in one line and reasonably discreet.

Obviously another way to help the forum would be to look at the Google ads and if anything interesting catches our eye to actually click on a link. This would be a much more positive attitude to take and would help keep the forum more feasible in the eyes of Collectors Universe.

Just my two cents...

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you referring just to the banner ads or also the Google ads? >>

• I think some are missing the spirit of the message, some members have big, flashing block ad's that even rotate pages showing their websites. Some of these are bigger than the bannner ad's at the top. I see the problem clearly, those people pay and some of the handles here do more advertising in their siglines than those who pay for the privilege. Makes sense to me.
  • Better turn off that Safari extension that blocks google ads people!!! image

Banning those that advertise without paying seems EXTREMELY fair (assuming they refuse to pony up). image

Banning those that prefer not to or can't see ads seems EXPONENTIALLY less so as many use public or work computers (many times) to surf this site and have NO control of the policies in place for what's allowed to be seen either in that particular browsing session or EVER. image
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

I hope they will ban "affliliate links" in the sigs as well. Some of these , like "Earn 3% this week on your purchases" are very deceptive...and when YOU sign up for it, a cookie or other tracking software is placed on YOUR computer, and THEY are earning a percentage of everything YOU buy.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping they get some of those ads that pop up in the middle of what you are reading and flash fast enough to nearly put you into an epileptic fit.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

<< <i>Better turn off that Safari extension that blocks google ads people!!! image

Banning those that advertise without paying seems EXTREMELY fair (assuming they refuse to pony up). image

Banning those that prefer not to or can't see ads seems EXPONENTIALLY less so as many use public or work computers (many times) to surf this site and have NO control of the policies in place for what's allowed to be seen either in that particular browsing session or EVER. image >>

...ahhhhh, yes. BUT is it RIGHT to be surfing these forums while working? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd...I didn't know it was even possible to "turn off" the ads.

I think Don's request is more than fair, and since we're using the boards for free we have no right to complain.

Not only that, but huge sig lines with images, gifs etc. are just plain annoying and make pages take longer to scroll through.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    It looks like the only way I will ever acquire the elusive nicely toned original 1897 Barber Half I've been searching for years is to contact the forementioned Rebecca Tran and buy me a big flashing banner add. Wonder how much that costs?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    I'm with telephoto -- I don't know how to turn off banner ads. Sounds like ignorance is bliss!

I hope it helps that I check Harry Laibstain's web site once a week or so -- he comes up with
    the neatest stuff.

• << <i>

<< <i>Better turn off that Safari extension that blocks google ads people!!! image

Banning those that prefer not to or can't see ads seems EXPONENTIALLY less so as many use public or work computers (many times) to surf this site and have NO control of the policies in place for what's allowed to be seen either in that particular browsing session or EVER. image >>

...ahhhhh, yes. BUT is it RIGHT to be surfing these forums while working? image >>

A lot of offices don't mind staff checking email or ebay or indeed forums during personal time.What they do mind is some of the less tasteful pop up ads that sometimes occur and the even more annoying cookies left to cause random pop ups.I don't think it's as cut and dry as "is it right to surf while working" , it's any one particular office's policy and more often than not there's not a problem as long as the work is done on time.
  • BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    OK

I'll work on that.

I only have one link now.

• << <i>
    I hope they will ban "affliliate links" in the sigs as well. Some of these , like "Earn 3% this week on your purchases" are very deceptive...and when YOU sign up for it, a cookie or other tracking software is placed on YOUR computer, and THEY are earning a percentage of everything YOU buy. >>

Says the guy who didn't get the message and still has two link lines in his signature. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Is mine OK? Just trying to tell people who I am, if not I would be happy to change it.

<< <i>

<< <i>

...ahhhhh, yes. BUT is it RIGHT to be surfing these forums while working? image >>

A lot of offices don't mind staff checking email or ebay or indeed forums during personal time.What they do mind is some of the less tasteful pop up ads that sometimes occur and the even more annoying cookies left to cause random pop ups.I don't think it's as cut and dry as "is it right to surf while working" , it's any one particular office's policy and more often than not there's not a problem as long as the work is done on time. >>

...hmmmm. sounds like you work at a friendly place. image
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    The policy makes sense to me.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate these boards and think it is completely fair as well.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

A lot of offices don't mind staff checking email or ebay or indeed forums during personal time.What they do mind is some of the less tasteful pop up ads that sometimes occur and the even more annoying cookies left to cause random pop ups.I don't think it's as cut and dry as "is it right to surf while working" , it's any one particular office's policy and more often than not there's not a problem as long as the work is done on time. >>

...hmmmm. sounds like you work at a friendly place. image >>

A happy workforce is a productive workforce , it just makes sense.Ban personal use of the computers during lunch or breaks and what you get is staff sloping off to the toilet on your time with handheld internet ready devices.
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭
    I think my signature line is well below the "overboard" standard but I do have two links. If that's a problem, let me know and I'll edit.

WH

<< <i>I think my signature line is well below the "overboard" standard but I do have two links. If that's a problem, let me know and I'll edit.

WH >>

I sure as heck ain't Don, but if that isn't EXACTLY what he was talking about (free advertising) than I don't understand the english language.

Some of you guys just think the rules apply to everyone except you.

If I was CU, I would turn off the signature lines entirely or totally not allow graphics.
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think my signature line is well below the "overboard" standard but I do have two links. If that's a problem, let me know and I'll edit.

WH >>

I thought the "Wizard Guy" was your self portrait! image

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

...hmmmm. sounds like you work at a friendly place. image >>

A happy workforce is a productive workforce , it just makes sense.Ban personal use of the computers during lunch or breaks and what you get is staff sloping off to the toilet on your time with handheld internet ready devices. >>

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> >>

That's more like it!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no worries about my sig line

1997-present

• i`ve always kept mine to a minimumimage
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GrandAm :)
  • Is my sig line too much and do I need to remove it???
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...ahhhhh, yes. BUT is it RIGHT to be surfing these forums while working? >>

The only time I'm surfing the forums, (and the internet), is while I'm at work. I just hope I don't get caught.

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>Is my sig line too much and do I need to remove it??? >>

It's larger than the PAID for banners at the top of my screen.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is my sig line too much and do I need to remove it??? >>

It's larger than the PAID for banners at the top of my screen. >>

But that doesn't necessarily answer the question.

Many posters, both dealers and collectors, have signature lines that you and/or others might not like, but which are within the size parameters previously mandated by PCGS. Hopefully, any changes to that will be at the direction of Don Willis and not you. And I'm not taking up for myself (or anyone else, in particular) here, as my signature line consists of my name, only.

• Hopefully this includes 'market report' links and such, too.

But that doesn't necessarily answer the question. Many posters, both dealers and collectors, have signature lines that you and/or others might not like, but which are within the size parameters previously mandated by PCGS. Hopefully, any changes to that will be at the direction of Don Willis and not you. And I'm not taking up for myself (or anyone else, in particular) here, as my signature line consists of my name, only.

Where in the above from Don's quote does it say anything other than a link is allowed?

My signature line says it all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file