Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

The Official 1977 Topps Star Wars PSA thread

Comments

• gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the set and the boards!

I replied to your email. Thanks a lot!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Christian (Obimill),

Welcome to the boards! I read these boards all the time, so if you post I'm sure I'll see it. I'm still heavily into buying, trading, and accumulating Star Wards Cards... I'll keep an eye on your set at is gets closer to completion, and let you know if I come across any cards that can help you.

Paul Holstein
    www.vintagestarwarscards.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    PUNKER-PAUL on eBay
    paul@jamesbondcards.com
    transparentpunk@hotmail.com
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
  • Good evening, I have some general questions regarding unopened packs and PSA grading. To date I've purchased all by 1977 graded Star Wars cards over ebay. I'm contemplating buying a box of packs, but really wonder if it's worth my while. From what I've seen, a box of unopened packs in the later series typically runs $200 - $300. Obviously it's a crap shoot as to what I'm going to get in terms of quality of cards, but on average does anybody know how many cards you typically uncover in the PSA 9 - 10 range ? Of course it's a lot more fun opening packs and scrutinizing the cards, but in terms of dollar value I'm torn as to whether it's really worth the investment. Spending $15-$30 on a graded PSA 9 card is more of a sure thing. With unopened packs you also have to factor in the grading costs. I have not become an actual member of the PSA grading club, but from what I've seen it typically runs $10 to have a card graded.

I'm also curious as to how predictable or how close you can get to determining if a card is really a PSA 9 or 10. Do you guys actually look at the cards under a magnifying glass ? I'd hate to send in 10-15 cards to PSA and get back all 7's and 8's. I have purchased a handful of unopened packs and none of the cards were 9 or 10 calibur in my opinion. I would say that 50% of the cards were off-cut and the first cards in the packs had glue stains on them from the wrapper. The stickers were surprisingly decent and appeared to be the best cards in the packs. It would be extremely frustrating to open 36 packs and only get a handful or really good cards.

My final question is does anybody know of a good place that sells high quality wood cases to store PSA graded cards ? Paul, the cherry cases on your website are phenominal. I don't suppose you have any extras you'd be willing to sell.

Thanks for any input
    Christian
  • Christian,

If you are serious about collecting a complete PSA graded set, I'd recommend joining PSA and busting/submitting at least one box. Boxes are usually stuffed from sheet cuts - and you can get an entire sheet miscut (so your whole box is off) or cut perfectly (so your whole box is awesome). It is a crap shoot, but I personally think it's the best way to start. Then fill in some holes in that part of the set with already-graded cards. Also, you really aren't going to find affordable PSA 10's - those will come from your boxes. Also, you will recover some of your investment by selling the MINT sets, wrappers and box.

As far as predictability - I don't use a magnifying glass, but I can pretty well tell if a card is PSA 8 plus. I make mistakes, and I can never tell 10's for sure, but I think you get better with practice. Just start with a smaller submission of 25 and then work from there. Note that PSA has sales for members - if you wait, you can submit under the $4.50 special (one is going on right now). It's not too bad at that price - you can even break even with PSA 7's and 8's sometimes.

Sorry, no more of the cherry boxes. But all you have to do is to find a local woodworker and ask him/her to make them. Before I had these made, I had custom cases made for 45 RPM records, CDs, and DVDs. I just found a woodworker and told them what I needed...

Paul
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@jamesbondcards.com
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
  • Christian:

I opened approximately 30 wax boxes and probably got around 20 PSA 10s. However, to be truthful, a PSA 10 1977 trading card can be very tricky, because I have found that PSA does not grade on the quality of photograph. Photo quality is something that was all over the map in the 70s. A blurry PSA 10 picture card really does me no good. Many of the PSA 10s simply do not compare to a select few of the electric, gloss dripping 8s, or electric, gloss dripping raw that is out there. doubtful that you will get raw 10s, as most people will package your ebay "mint" set in a cheese box and toss it in the mail, effectively making any 10 an instant 8 or 9. Although, I did make a raw series 2 sticker find on the Internet which yielded approximatetly 8 PSA 10 series 2 stickers and countless PSA 9s. When it was all said and done, I purchased 26 series 2 sticker sets from them. I think the source of the stickers was vending.

If I were to do it over, I would buy 20 or so raw sets and go for the radioactive looking cards. When you hit the card with the right colors and clarity, it trumps the microscopic corner flaws. That being said, I do use a 10x jewelers loupe. I have a lot of more information to share with you that may be better covered via PM.

thanks,
    scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Hi Paul, Greg, David:

I haven't spoke with you guys in a while. I am back into cards right now, so I figured I would check these boards again. I am now focusing on 84-87 donruss baseball. I have about finished my mint loose Star Wars action figure set. I am missing only one main release figure with the exception of DT Ben and DT Vader which are about 3K to 5K each. I bought several mint samples of each figure and kept the ones with the mintest paint jobs. Also on the road map for me is Amazing Fantasy #15. I kind of stalled out on my SGC registry set for star wars, only because $5 a card got expensive (and unfortunately, the resale value isn't there for SGC star Wars, yet image). I just needed my money going elsewhere for now.

Good to read the forum again,
    scott
    My sets:
    Scott,

Great to see you on the boards again - I have missed you around here! I have still been slowly chipping away at the set and getting close to all PSA 9's or better. Is there a place to view your SGC set? I would love to see it. I will go look for it once I am done typing this sentence...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Hi Greg:

I'll post a few scans this evening...

-scott
    My sets:
  • This is the best Obi-Wan rookie that I came across. Extremely rich coloring. This card is normally found in almost gray scale type color quality. Actually this box yielded a twin of this, which I still own. I sold my PSA 10 copy of this card as it was weaker in my opinion:

My sets:
  • This is hands down one of the brightest Star Wars cards that I have ever handled. Really, this one had the biggest color pop out of them all. It is almost 3-D looking:

My sets:
    Scott,

That #6 is awesome looking! I think the first two PSA 10's of that card were in one of my first big submissions, and that one looks just as appealing to the eye.

Are you still working on the SGC set? I noticed you have a few in there that may upgrade my set. If you ever decide to let any go please let me know!

Again, welcome back!
  • Greg:

My SGC starting lineup is un-pry-able from my hands image. Sorry. Although, from time to time I do get a few SGC doubles, I think I may have sold you a 323 a while back. 323 is crazy. Anyway, here is one of my PSAs that I still have. This one has similar deep rich coloring and clarity as the obi-wan since they came from the same box. There is a slight upper left corner fray that they didn't ding down to an 8. I was somewhat afraid to cross it to SGC as I think it would get an 88, but the color is crazy.

My sets:
  • Christian:

#233 is a good example of what to watch for on these cards. Snap up copies where the corridore is bright white, it is usually not the case:

My sets:
  • Lastly for tonight. Here is a raw vader rookie that I have ready as a resubmission. I wasn't happy with SGCs first grade. I scanned it next to another to hightlight the color difference.

My sets:
  • Thank you Scott & Paul for the responses. Scott, card #126 is amazing. It's one of the nicest I've seen. That one's a keeper for life. I didn't realize PSA had grading specials that went as low as $4.50. That definitely helps change my opinion on the grading costs & going after an unopened box or two. I'd have no problem saving up some top tier cards and submitting them throughout the year when specials are run. Good point Paul on the potential to uncover a PSA 10. I only have one PSA 10 card in my Star Wars set, which I paid $75 for on EBAY - card #304. I have not seen any other PSA 10's even come across EBAY since I've been going after a PSA graded set. I can understand how most collectors would not want to part with a 10. Scott, I appreciate the examples in your scans. Card #7 was a good example to illustrate your point.
    Christian
  • How on earth did Bumchex ever come up with so many 1977 PSA 10 cards ? I was just looking at the PSA set registry and am blown away by this set. It must have taken thousands of submissions. What an impressive accomplishment. Just curious if anybody knows the story behnind this set.
    Christian
    There were a few bulk submissions years ago that had huge runs of PSA 10 cards. I have never personally had success like that submitting. My experience is similar to Scott's and Paul's. I opened a bunch of boxes, was good at picking out the definite 8's and 9's, and just hoped they would deem some of them 10's. I got quite a few PSA 10's, but often times I could not distinguish the 10's from the 9's (or even the 8's) once they were in the holder.

I bought a large group of PSA 10's from that bulk order and included them in my set, which at the time, was second best to Capt. Fisch, who has an absolutely incredible set. "Bumchex" made me the proverbial "offer I couldn't refuse" and I didn't. He got many of the PSA 10's I had from that group. I know he also submitted a ton himself, and probably bought many others from the bulk submission.

His accumulation ( as well as Fisch's) is unbelievable, and will be extremely difficult to ever overtake, without the unlimited resources necessary to buy the cards from those already holding them.
  • captfischcaptfisch Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    I thought my ears were burning! It's been a while since I was back as well. I've spent the better part of the last 14 months in the Middle East and it has been driving me crazy not being able to work on my Star Wars PSA cards. I'm back in Georgia building a new house and all my stuff will be in storage until it's done (hopefully by Christmas!). Then I look forward to getting back in the game.

I have dozens of PSA 8 and 9 Star Wars cards...and if anyone wants to expand into Empire, I have a bunch of PSA 8 and 9's of those as well. You all will just have to wait a few months and get those lists together!

I also remember with a tear in my eye when Bumchex bought all those cards from gregmo...I didn't have the bankroll to compete against him as well. Greg - you still have a few I may be interested in once I get access to my cards again!

I also expanded to Raider's of the Lost Ark, but those are getting pricier for boxes as well. Talk to you all again soon and welcome to all the new people collecting Star Wars cards!

Captfisch
    Captfisch,

Welcome back - glad to hear you are safe and sound!

I feel like we are getting the band back togther - where's Paul? Can you get us some studio time?

• Glad to hear you are back in GA Captfisch !!
  • Hi there Jon - Haven't spoken in quite a while. I remember seeing several of your cards in a PSA calendar a couple of years ago, they looked scortching. I also picked up about 10 boxes of Raiders before the movie boom. I am just sitting on them for now. I also have ESB as well. I have broke open a lot of ESB and they are all over the map with picture quality as well.

My sets:
  • Good evening, I've been looking at ebay for unopened wax pack boxes of 1977 Star Wars. The prices seem to be all over the place. Series one wax boxes are out of my range. The series one individual packs are really high to, $20-$40. I'd rather buy a series one PSA9 card for $25 than a pack. I did find a series two wax box for $320 with free shipping, and a Series 5 for $225 with free shipping. Both are a listed under Buy it Now, not auction. I wanted to see if any of the veterans of the board would be willing to give an opinion on those prices. Both seemed pretty reasonable to me. I'm going back and forth on which one I would go with. I really like the red cards, and those are obviously more scarce than the series five, but with this being my first box I'm thinking I should start out with the series 5 and see what pans out with that before going further.
    Thanks for any input
    Christian
    I have always found series five to be the toughest to find. The boxes may be easier to find, but singles are not...
    Obimill, it's been a while since I bought full boxes, but I wouldn't pay much over $200 for series 3-5. Series 2 I may go up to $250-275 and series 1 are getting out of my range as well. What I like to do is watch the auction and if the box doesn't sell, send a message to the seller with your offer (I like to make the seller pay shipping). If he's selling for $225, he'll probably take $200 and include the shipping costs. There really aren't a whole lot of us out there buying these boxes.

captfisch
  • Good evening, I've been out of town for about a week and just wanted to say thanks to Greg for the 3 PSA 9 cards. They arrived two Friday's ago and were perfectly packaged. I'm very happy with the cards. It goes without saying, but it's nice doing business with an honest/reputable collector. I never expected to locate PSA graded cards on a message board ! Thanks
    Christian
    Thanks for the words. I have been able to provide quite a few people upgrades to their sets over the years. I actually just love working on this set and upgrading my own, so when I have extras I move them along to a new home.

Everyone please keep me in mind if you get any new PSA 9's or 10's in - I still need some!
    It seems that the PSA 10's from this set have caught fire again, selling in the $200 plus range on eBay.
    If any of the buyers are serious about moving up at these prices, please contact me. I may be willing to sell the majority of my hundred or more PSA 10's at those levels.

I am not looking to sell a few at a time, but may be willing to sell them as a huge group, for the right price.
    Serious offers only.

Thanks,
    gregmo32@aol.com
    Does anyone need any of these that are leftover before I make them available elsewhere?

All were submitted prior to the .5 grading scale and most were personal submissions taken fresh from wax packs and boxes and sent directly to PSA.

Series One and Five are $5.95 each and the rest are $4.95 each. PM or gregmo32@aol.com with any questions.

PSA 8 (4.95 each)

PSA 8 ($5.95)

It has been a while since I was able to find an upgrade for my set, but I finally got one of the PSA 9's I needed to complete my all 9 and 10 set. I think I have found three upgrades in a year and a half, not counting two others, one each from SGC and BVG, that may be half point bump ups.

Anyone have a price for their low pop PSA 9's that they would feel comfortable selling for?
    Does anyone have anything new to sell or trade?
    Just thought it was time to move the Star Wars thread back into the top of the list. Anyone with PSA 10's that would consider selling them to improve my set, please let me know. I'm willing to pay a fair price.

captfisch
  • First, I want to let you all know that I have completely re-written http://www.vintagestarwarscards.com/ from scratch. The format is nicer, the pictures are better, and there is a lot of new content. Literally hundreds of high grade, PSA-graded vintage Star Wars cards are shown... click the images for giant pictures of almost every one.

Also, notice that I have a buy/sell tab. I used to list a lot of stuff on eBay, but I'm planning to stop and only list stuff on my own site. I put up a few lots to start, but will be continually adding cards for sale (many PSA graded). I have over 100 lots planned, and it will likely be many more that that if there is any interest.

Paul Holstein
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
  • Hi Paul:

I like your rebooted web site. Great Job. Those scanlans series 1 sticker cards are awesome, along with the 1977 Tip Tops.

-scott
    My sets:
  • Thanks! It was a lot of work... but I really like the site better now too. It's a great permanent reference site... keep checking back too, I'll be listing a lot for sale in the coming months.
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
  • Hi Paul:

Something you might add to the 1977 USA Topps description of your web site...

The fact that there are * star versions and ** star versions of each card, depending on what side of the 132 card original sheet they were on. Off the top of my head there are a few exceptions, #217 and #306 only exist in a double **, Han solo #4 has two versions of the ** (on one version, the stars are misaligned and are actualy 1.75 stars). There might be another exception, I cannot remember. Basically, two 66 card complete sets would form one sheet. The left hand side of the sheet would be a single asterisk set, the right hand side of the sheet would be a double asterisk set. I suppose if a single asterisk #217 ever showed up it would be freaky money, but it'll never happen.

A Topps factory floor note sheet exists from 1976 Star Trek stickers which explains and diagrams the sheet layout and references the stars. I assume that it is the same for the 1977 product line as well. If you are interested in viewing a pic of it, I can point you in the right direction. It also references the first name of the floor worker. That individual could write one wicked book about their experience at topps in the seventies.

It would be interesting to see if PSA ever posts a "master" set including both versions. In my master set, I have both versions, but many of my cards are not yet graded.

-scott
    My sets:
  • dukiduki Posts: 72 ✭✭
    thanks for not responding
  • Hello all !!
    I am in the final stages of completing my registry set and I'm looking for a few remaining cards to help me finish it up !
    Just wanted to check here to see if any of you might have some that I am looking for.

Here is my current want list:

Ser. 1 : 20, 49, 53, 60, 63

Ser. 3 : 133, 139, 145, 149, 155, 157, 159, 163, 164, 167, 172, 173, 184, 195, 197, 198

Ser. 4 : 217, 221, 226, 227, 234, 238, 245, 248, 252

Ser. 5 : 287, 308, 310

If anyone has any of these they are willing to let go of, just shoot me a PM with prices. Looking for a minimum grade of 8 but interested in higher grades as well ( No qualifiers please).

I also have a few duplicates if anyone might be interested in doing some trading.
    All are graded 8 with no qualifiers.

My trade list:

Ser. 1 : 37

Ser. 2 : 71, 86, 96, 103, 104, 115, 116, 118, 124, 125

Ser. 5 : 265, 271, 274, 289, 306, 314, 315, 325

The lion's share of what I need for set completion is from series 3 and 4, so I would also be interested in any wax if anyone has any for sale or trade.

Many thanks in advance !
    fokker210

*Set listed on the registry as " The Ledford Collection"*
    Has anyone gotten anything new in? I noticed that 4squarecorners has been selling a lot on eBay. Has anyone bought any from them yet?
    I've noticed that as well. PSASTOCK has a few out there as well. Haven't bought anything from either one in a while. On a more personal note, after over 2 years, I'm finally going to get into our new house around the middle of March and get access to all my cards again that have been in storage since last July. I can't wait! Looking forward to submitting some batches within a few weeks.

I've also noticed that PSA is scheduled to be an exhibitor at the Celebration V Star Wars convention in Orlando, Aug 12-15. Any PSA folks out there care to share what you plan on doing for the convention? If there are any other Star Wars PSA collectors out there heading to the convention, it would be nice to get together and meet each other in person and perhaps bring spare graded cards for trading. Here's the website: http://www.starwarscelebration.com/

captfisch

• << <i>Has anyone gotten anything new in? I noticed that 4squarecorners has been selling a lot on eBay. Has anyone bought any from them yet? >>

I have purchased several from 4squarecorners over the past couple of months to help round out my registry set.
    Every transaction has been great !

I am in the home stretch on completing my set ( and expecting to spend the next ten years upgrading when I can ) !
    Still wondering if anyone here might be able to help me out with the few left that I need !

Here is my current want list:

Ser. 1 : 60, 63

Ser. 3 : 133, 145, 149, 155, 157, 159, 164, 167, 172, 173, 184, 195, 197, 198

Ser. 4 : 217, 221, 226, 227, 234, 238, 245, 248

If anyone has any of these they are willing to let go of, just shoot me a PM with prices. Looking for a minimum grade of 8 but interested in higher grades as well ( No qualifiers please).

I also have a few duplicates if anyone might be interested in doing some trading.
    All are graded 8 with no qualifiers.

My trade list:

Series Two (Red) : 71, 84, 86, 87, 91, 96, 103, 104, 105, 115, 116, 118, 124, 125

Series Three (Yellow) : 187

Series Four (Green) : 235, 247, 250, 264

Series Five (Orange) : 265, 269, 271, 273, 274, 276, 289, 291, 292, 293, 301, 306, 313, 314, 315, 317, 318, 320, 322, 324, 325, 326, 328, 330

Many thanks in advance !
    fokker210

*Set listed on the registry as " The Ledford Collection"*
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    I wish I saw this link years ago when it started. I have a huge collection of everything Star Wars including 73 complete sets of almost every set of Star Wars from 1977 to today. I also have an entire room dedicated only to StarWars including all the vintage posters and Master Replicas Prop Lightsabers and Blasters. I am only missing the Boba Fett Blaster to have every one. I would love to hear what other Star Wars Fans have in their collection.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    How about some pics of the Star Wars room? I would love to do one myself.
    Has anyone made any recent submissions on this set?
  • Hello everybody ,
    Just registered and wanted to start off by saying that I look forward to talking with everybody here and building on my first PSA Star Wars set which I started just recently. Also helping others to build on their sets as well. image

BTW, has anybody else seen the #207 Golden Rod 3PO auction for $5000...WOW image
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    I am trying to finish the star wars action figure set from the original figures in the 70's and 80's. I am missing the last 5 to have everyone. Does anyone have extra figures that they would want to sell or trade? if so, please PM me as to which ones you have and what you want for them.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • The focus of my collection has been Magic Johnsons best cards from 1979-1983 1986 1991, which sucked up my money. However, I still managed to get a 1977 Star Wars PSA 10 from all 5 series, 1 each, plus the #1 Luke in a PSA 9, a good solid 9. So nothing earth shattering, but I am very glad I have them! And here they are:

STAR WARS PSA 10