Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

The Official 1977 Topps Star Wars PSA thread

Comments

• << <i>Not for sale, but this is one from my collection.

image >>

Nice... how 'bout a trade then? My dog and lots of cards?image That dog must go!!

Know of a place to find a cheap copy? I found one on ebay a while back but it was foreign and in a lot and I was looking cheaper. Should of got it anyways. Thanks for the pic.

Donovan
    imageimageimage
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Scott-

Congrats on hitting the 50% mark on your set! See you near the top soon...

Best regards,
    greg
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Thanks greg. I have a stack of raw that I will be submitting for the next special, mostly series 3 and 4. Hopefully that will help me out some more. I've opened two series 3 boxes, 2 series 4 boxes and one series 5 box.
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
    Scott,
    Sounds like it is really getting in your blood. I know how that is! Let me know how the grades turn out...
    Best
    greg
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Poll:

What would you consider to be the Holy Grail of the 1977 Topps Star Wars line?

My sets:
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    I would say a high grade, centered C-3PO "erect"
  • DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Is that the card they had to change?

What number is it???
    It is card #207. They did correct it and airbrush out the "appendage."
    And as for the Holy Grail, I will take it to the obvious extreme...
    A complete set of 330 cards and 55 stickers - all PSA 10 !
    This will happen around 2056 A.D.
  • Greg:

A PSA 10 Lord Darth Vader sticker will probably take 50 years to come by just by itself.
    My sets:
    What does everyone do with all of the singles they have that are not worthy of grading? I spent the weekend putting together sets from my enormous childhood collection and kind of enjoyed the process. But I do have a bunch of sets that are missing a half dozen or more cards. Condition on these is pretty much irrelevant to me as I am just trying to build complete sets. Anyone have any lots they want to get rid of cheap? gregmo32@aol.com
  • I would be interested in Storm/Snow/Sand Trooper cards/stickers cheap for my boys. Condition not important.
    imageimageimage
  • Greg:

I have been building 330 card sets and selling them on ebay. I wonder if PSA would grade a complete 330 card set for $1000. Would that be worth the trouble for a complete PSA 8 set?

-Scott
    My sets:
  • I am in complete shock. I just broke a series one wax box and literally have around a set and a half of solid PSA 9 and 10s. The centering was unbelievable, sharp cuts, nice color, almost no fish eyes. I have atleast 4 #23 that will be at least psa 9s. I may have pulled a Tarkin #8 in PSA 10. I pulled at least 3 PSA 9 tarkins, two of them show him with no print splotches on the face. Scans will be forthcoming.

My sets:

My sets:
    My sets:
    My sets:
  • 3 more Tarkins:

My sets:

My sets:
  • Those are just a few of the gradeable cards. All in all, I have now opened 8 boxes of 1977 star wars cards and these are by far the cleanest. I have also recorded the sequences of where each card falls in the packs, however, I am not sure how many different patterns exit in each series.
    My sets:
  • Hi! I don't know if you'd be up for this... but I'd be willing to buy these numbers raw (for a fairly decent price considering what 8's and 9's are worth) to grade myself. These are the ones I need to finish my PSA 9+ set: #1, 4, 5, 7, 14, 23, 30, 48. Not sure if you really want to send all of those in haha, it would cost a fortune.

Paul Holstein
    PUNKER-PAUL on eBay
    http://www.transparentrecords.com/starwarscards/Starwars.htm
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    www.vintagestarwarscards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
    transparentpunk@hotmail.com
  • captfischcaptfisch Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Great job, just have to keep looking to find that one great box. Be careful with those #10s, they look crooked in the scan. I'm looking for that PSA 9 or higher #23 myself to knock that last PSA 8 off my series 1 set. Good luck with the submission and let's have that non-sport special PSA...I've got a batch myself that I'm sitting on!

captfisch
  • Paul and Jon:

I am sure I will have multiple PSA 9 cards of the ones that you need. I think there is one PSA 10 #23 and for sure 2 additional, maybe 3 PSA 9s. I will provide you both first dibs on the extra 9s of that tough card. As far as trading raw cards, I hadn't really thought of that, but I might be up for it. Jon, now that you mention it, those #10s are uneven, I might hold back on sending those ones in.

The first tarkin that I posted is electric. I am wondering though, there is a red print dot to the left of Tarkin and some small red ink residue on the bottom picture border, I am not sure if those would keep it out of the PSA 10 category.

Below are my strongest #30 and #48, but I have an extra of each that I'll be submitting as well.
    My sets:
  • hi im new to this i have just bought some star wars series 5 packs off ebay i got 5 for $7 i thought this was a good deal can you tell me which cards from series 5 worth anything>? where do i find prices for this?also are the stickers worth anything?
  • Thanks! I'm up for any deal you can offer, raw or graded (9+) on those cards... sure would be nice to finish off that set! If you are looking for any non-U.S. Star Wars cards just let me know - I have a TON for trade.
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com

<< <i>hi im new to this i have just bought some star wars series 5 packs off ebay i got 5 for $7 i thought this was a good deal can you tell me which cards from series 5 worth anything>? where do i find prices for this?also are the stickers worth anything? >>

Welcome!
    If you are collecting raw, they are pretty much considered to all be worth the same. If you are putting together a graded set then the low pop cards theoretically will sell for more. Sometimes they sell for insane amounts of money, sometimes you get a steal. Mint stickers are always desirable!
  • Key Cards of the series:

#277 (a centered, mint one is worth a ton)

Other cards that I like are #305 (the first and only appearance of Greedo in all five series), #272 a vader card. #291 is another Vader card.

My sets:
    Anyone got anything new?
  • Well, this isn't new and it's not about the Topps cards... but how do you (anyone) feel about the OPC version of the Star Wars cards? They were produced at about one tenth of the production of the U.S. cards, and are quite hard to find in nice condition (especially due to the lesser quality control at the manufacturer, and I think less cards per pack too)?

Personally, I really like them. I think it's cool that they are more rare, and finding one or two in PSA 10 has been a real challenge. It's a great thing to look upon one that is "perfect". But, no one else seems to collect them except for me...

In fact, I have a few boxes that I would love to open and work on my sets - but it's a bummer that even high grade examples are hard to sell/trade due to lack of other interest. A full box of series one can sell in the $400.00 range.... but if I break it down and send some in.... the value of what I'll have will be significanly lower if interest never picks up.

Is it that most collectors just like U.S. cards, or are the OPC versions just too rare to really make collecting a high grade set worth the trouble?

Paul H.

www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
  • Yeah, I should send that one back to PSA to have the tag fixed haha.... Luke Skywakler....
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
    I like the OPC's. I bought one of the PSA 10's you sold a few years back too. Do you still have boxes left and are you planning on submitting any? I would always be a buyer on most of them...
    By the way, I have listed about ten or twelve PSA 9's on Ebay starting tonight. Check them out! And if anyone needs any PSA 8's please let me know and I will tell you if I have it - I didn't want to list a bunch on Ebay...
  • Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I have 5 boxes of OPC, which would probably get me close to completion on my PSA graded set... but as I mentioned I'm torn since the value of the unopened boxes is high and guaranteed - and with the extra cost of the grading added, it would be hard to match with the graded cards. But I am considering it - mainly just because it's more fun to open packs and submit cards, than to sit on full boxes.

I'll definitely keep you in mind though if I go forward with grading. I was actually hoping to find someone else with boxes, who plans to submit too... it'd be nice to have someone to swap them with. Yep, I do remember you bought my PSA 10 of #4 (which wasn't a double, I just needed the funds!).

Paul H.
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
    Is there any way to tell what boxes/packs have the C-3PO errors in series 4?
    Not without opening them. Unfortunately...
    LOL Thats what I mean...thanks Greg!
    Anyone got anything new? Let's trade!
    Gregmo
    Do you have any 1978 OPC Jaws 2? I cracked a box that I had lying around...need a couple of cards. Maybe we could trade if you have any that you could also help you out. I need stickers for it too!

Also, any Superman 3 stickers? I also decided to crack a box of that too. I have half a box left but would rather not open them. Boy are those black borders tough! I have singles in that to trade also.

Thanks
    Barry
    Nope on both of those sets. I have some Topps Jaws somewhere, but no OPC's. And I do love anything with the black borders!
    Thanks...I dont know whether to open more superman to finish my sitckers set or spend the 8 bucks on buying one off ebay..then I have all the extra stickers which of course wont sell as much for me as packs will...I guess I just answered my own question, eh?
    Does anyone have any doubles laying around? I am putting together a few complete sets, not mint but decent looking cards.
    I need multiples of the following to help finish a couple...

Stickers

As I said, they don't have to be NM+, just need them to fill sets.
    Let me know if you can help!
    gregmo32@aol.com

Hey Greg
    I have 6 cards you need.

Here are some numbers I am looking for, all from series 5...I prefer them to be NM+ or better because this set is pack fresh.

Either send me a PM or email me at yankeeno7@aol.com
    Thanks
    Barry
    Greg
    You around? l have set these cards aside for you if you need them!
    Barry
    Yankee

I am sending your cards out today. I had all of them and they should be pretty close to what you are looking for... Sorry it took me a few days...
    Thats ok Gregmo...work has been crazy for me also and I wont be able to get to your list until tomorrow. Please PM me your addy so I can get whatever I have to you!

Thanks for the help!
  • For your enjoyment while we all wait for the non-sports grading special image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBDN_bg_DEk
    My sets:
    Gregmo
    Got the cards! Thanks!

Barry
  • I just pulled this raw vader out of a pack this past week. Should be a 9! Did anyone one watch the video link I posted?

My sets:
    Seems like the lack of a $5 special (and just plain old lack of funds) has contirbuted to things slowing down here on the Star Wars front of late. Anything new going around out there?
    Gregmo
    Did you get the cards I sent? The one card from the 4th series wasnt on the list you PMed me but was on the list you placed on the thread. I thought I would send it to you anyway.
    Thanks for helping me out with mine...cards fit the set perfectly.
    I did get them - thanks a lot and please forgive my failure to thank you sooner! My cards have been on the far back burner the past few weeks and it slipped my mind.
    All the best!
    greg