Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

The Official 1977 Topps Star Wars PSA thread

Comments

• Hello guys, greetings from a new collector from Norway.

I just started with this great hobby, and have (obviously) about 10.000 questions.

I just bought the entire 1977 Topps Series 1 on ebay, and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. As I live in Norway, the shipping price is making all purchases a lot more expensive, but I never started this to make money anyways. I also bought 1 pack of unopened cards, with plans of opening it, would that be stupid? Again, I don't really care about the value, if I could get more money selling it unopened etc.

Well, I was wondering, I'm guessing the cards aren't all that good, as I have looked at the PSA ratings and damn, those guys are really picky! Anyways, I really like the cards, and I was wondering if it would be stupid to send them all in for evaluation and boxing even if they are 4's and 5's? For me, its pretty much owning it that makes it fun, and having them safe and avoiding any further deterioration of the cards is my main aspect. That being said, I don't see hardly anyone selling low rated PSA cards on ebay, is that because they are "worthless"? In time I might try to get all 9's and 10's, but just finding a hobby I am really passionate about is more than reward enough for me.

I also looked at the pricing on PSA site without really figuring it out, do you have any clue what it will be for 66 cards and 11 stickers?

Forgive my spelling errors, are/is errors etc, english is not my native tongue, but even though I might sound dumb, I'm not all that bad.

Any hints, tips and advice are much welcome, and if I posted this in the wrong category, please forgive me.
    Absolute rookie, collecting Star Wars 1977 Topps
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Heffalompen,

Welcome to PSA boards, and to the graded Star Wars card collecting hobby!

I will help you with your questions. In terms of US dollars, it costs at least $7 to grade a single card (once you factor in shipping, insurance, etc).

A PSA 8 card from 1977 Topps Star Wars, which is an almost perfect card, usually sells for less than $5. And in an unopened pack of seven cards and one sticker, it is likely that only two or three cards in the pack would be worthy of a PSA 8 grade.

PSA 9 cards usually sell for at least $8 each, and for more rare cards, can sell for anywhere from $8 - $100.

PSA 10's can be quite expensive, but you could open a dozen packs and not get a PSA 10 card.

This is the reason you don't see a lot of lower graded cards for sale. It is not financially profitable to send in cards that are less than perfect. You lost money on any cards you subit for grading that are graded less than PSA 9.

To grade a set of 66/11, the cost would be about $500US. But as I described, only send in cards that are perfect, incuding the corners, the centering of the phototgraph, the surface, etc. Otherwise, you are giving away money you could be using to purchase more cards.

I have helped a lot of the collectors with the highest graded Star Wars sets begin and improve their sets. If you have any other questions, or are interested in a group of PSA graded cards to start up, please let me know.

Again, welcome and good luck with your set!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

• << <i>Heffalompen,

Welcome to PSA boards, and to the graded Star Wars card collecting hobby!

*snip*

I have helped a lot of the collectors with the highest graded Star Wars sets begin and improve their sets. If you have any other questions, or are interested in a group of PSA graded cards to start up, please let me know.

Again, welcome and good luck with your set! >>

All right, thank you very much for the information! I will take a look at the set I have bought C:US:3160">Star Wars set once it arrives, but I guess there aren't any PSA 10's or 9's in there then. Also, I bought two unopened packs, but they looked dented, so probably the cards aren't immaculate.

Anyways, I am mostly doing this for fun, and a lot of fun it has been already, maybe I will try to get the collection better and better after a while (ain't that usually how it ends up?) and I will for sure let you know if I am in need of some high rated cards. Also very glad I started with this now, as a grown-up with a decent salary, this would suck to do as a youngster image

Again, thank you for the warm welcome, hope to see more of this forum for weeks and years to come!
    I definitely know what you mean. I started out collecting these as a four year old buying pack after pack of them. My dad would come home with stacks of unopened wax packs for me at random, and I can always remember being amazed when I walked into a 7-11 or gas station and saw BRAND NEW SERIES with different color wrappers and borders, and being overjoyed.

As an adult involved in the sports card grading craze I started to submit my best cards from the 1977 STAR WARS set, slowly at first. Then I bought unopened boxes to rip open and meticulously began to piece together what, at one time, was the second best set in the Registry. I sell when I am given "offers I can't refuse," and begin the process of rebuilding. It has been the most fun I have had as an adult card collector. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • So,

the day has arrived, and I received 3 unopened packs yesterday. I am about to open them. Are there any "rare" cards I should look out for? I also bought a PSA 7 card, already graded in the box to get an idea of the rating, and I was quite confused, because the PSA 7 looked perfect to me.

Guess I will try and submit a few to PSA just to "get the feel", but they are probably nothing more than 5's. Oh well, we'll see.
  • All rite! Opened 3 packs of cards, and of course got a brand new set of questions:

1. All three stickers had varying grades of gum residue. Anything to do about that? I got Obi-Wan Kenobi with gum in his eyes, doesnt look good.

2. I am sending some of these in to PSA for grading. I look at the cut-out, and it must be good? And the print must be good? Coloring? Some of them look a bit grey, but I am not sure if its age, or they always looked like that?

Also, what's the best way to store them to keep them in good conditions? Can't wait to send them in, and will update ya'll whether you like it or not when I get them back.

Thanks!
    The best advice I can give you is that if you see any flaws, no matter how slight they seem, the best grade you will get is a PSA 8. If there is wax, or gum, or an ink splotch - don't send them in. If the picture is noticeably off center, either horizontally or vertically, don't send them. If there is even the slightest sign that the corners of the card are not completely sharp, don't send them.

Even by doing all of the above, you may still end up with PSA 8 cards. But PSA will theoretically use a magnifying glass to look at the card, so if you see problems with the naked eye, they will definitely see them.

All of this is the reason why the high grade cards are so desireable, they are like the proverbial needles in the haystack. The cards themselves are plentiful. Perfect cards, perfect in every way, are very tough to come by, even out of pristinely stored unopened packs.

Best of luck and welcome to the hobby! I can definitely say that collecting this set in top condition reinvigorated a hobby for me that I have already enjoyed for over 35 years.
  • Hi,

Just need an opinion on this sticker I just picked up on ebay. Look at the back please. Does the sticker fit the grade, or should I return this to the seller (4SC). Pretty sure I know the answer.. .Just need another opinion.

Thanks for any help.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    This is not the sticker you're looking for ...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

It is hard to tell from the picture, but if that is a gum stain on the back then that card certainly should not have been graded a PSA 9. I would return it to the seller. If gum stains were allowed, these would not be very difficult to find in PSA 9 condition.
  • I'm not sure if the back is a gum stain or the red color of the front. More details from OP are needed.

I don't have old Star Wars cards, but have some Superman cards that came package with gum. It is very rare to find old stickers cards without gum stain or yellow borders.
    My extra/duplicate cards for sale in my eCrater Store: http://elpereles.ecrater.com
  • I don't think it's a gum stain. It might be from the front of the sticker. Still have a tough time figuring out how this got graded MINT with all the other marks on the back too. Weird, wild stuff.
  • About the marks. Does they look like part of the material? Because I noted that sometimes the fiber of the paper isn't clean for some cards.

About the condition. Reading PSA grades. It can go for a 9.

PSA Card Grading Standards
    http://www.psacard.com/services/psa_grading_standards.chtml

My extra/duplicate cards for sale in my eCrater Store: http://elpereles.ecrater.com
  • Another cautionary tale of eBay with a rant.

I recently decided to build two 1977 PSA Star Wars sets with my two young sons by buying and opening boxes. In win a few boxes here and there and then one day a lot of all 5 series pops up with buy in now and best offer. I offer $1,200 and the seller excepts. I receive the boxes at work. I open them as soon as I get them and they are shrink wrapped (this point will be important later) I remove the shrink wrap from the first series box to inspect it and can easily see the packs have been poorly resealed. Roller marks don’t line up, some wrappers have torn flaps, some pack are pulled very tight while others are very loose. I leave the other four boxes shrink wrapped and contact the seller (within an hour of receiving the package) that they are resealed and I’d like to return them.

===Skip ahead to the post rant if you like to get to why this might matter to you.

In his email back to me he goes off saying I couldn’t have possible received the boxes yet because he only mailed them two days ago and that I just don’t want them now. Of course the package has tracking and shows it delivered and I send him a photo of his address label as well.

To this he goes off saying it’s crazy to think someone would reseal packs. At this point I’m a little PO’d. My kids are upset because I told them we’d be opening them on the weekend. I email him back and tell him all this.

And his response. Why do you care if they are resealed if you are going to open them, the cards and stickers are in there. Up until this point I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. That maybe he bought them already resealed and just didn’t know. Now it’s looking like he’s the resealer.

I write him again (not accusing him of resealing, just still wanting to return them) saying if this isn’t taken care of I’ll contact eBay and have them sort it out. He writes back saying he needs proof they are resealed.

I take pictures of few packs and add markups to them calling out all the things that show they have been resealed. Now he goes radio silent.

And in case you’d like to avoid this guy on eBay, he’s:

Jeff24wins4x

===End of rant

I file a claim with eBay. And ultimately they side with the seller. After a few calls I finally find out why. Because the boxes were shrink wrapped and I admitted to removing the it. To them the boxes were no longer in the original state as sold and there for could not be returned.

I spoke at length at the huge fraud loophole this creates. Someone could shrink wrap anything inside the box and if you as the buy open it to check you’re screwed. And if you don’t open it how do you prove the right thing is not in it?

They said they’d look into it more. I won’t be holding my breath.

-Mike
    I would definitely explain to eBay that the boxes were not shrinkwrapped by Topps in 1977. The boxes were wrapped by the seller, or some seller, since then. They probably are not aware that this is the case and it may help a lot, although it seems like something they should already know!
  • captfischcaptfisch Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Time to bump the thread up a bit, I have several PSA 9 Empire Strikes Back cards and Return of the Jedi stickers along with a PSA 10 Star Wars card up on eBay right now. Thanks for your time and good luck to all!

captfisch

captfisch auctions
  • slackerslacker Posts: 231 ✭✭
    If you paid PayPal with a credit card, file a claim with credit card company. Credit card company claim trumps all I was told by PayPal.
    Hope this helps.
    Love and laughter,
    Slacker
    Ps thanks for the heads up and hope it gets resolved soon. I'm tempted to buy Star Wars boxes myself and not certain where to buy pure virgin wax boxes untampered with.
    goal is to build my 1962 topps mars attacks set psa gpa 8.25.
  • slackerslacker Posts: 231 ✭✭
    What's the best way to build a Psa 9 mint average gpa Star Wars complete 5 series gum card set with stickers please?
    This is a set I have loved since a was a young lad. I'm tackled some high end 60s high grade psa sets,and am ready for a labor or love set now.
    I'd even be tempted to build a psa 8.5 gpa set perhaps. Thank you Star Wars Psa set gum card junkies in advance for your wisdom.
    Love and laughter,
    Slacker

goal is to build my 1962 topps mars attacks set psa gpa 8.25.
    I can tell you the most fun way to do it, especially if you collected this set as a kid. I built my "original" base set 1-330, by opening wax boxes about eight years ago. They were slightly more inexpensive then, and it was the most fun I have had in 35 years of collecting. Once you have the set mostly complete, you can fill in the gaps with singles.

Of course, you can also buy PSA cards in a lot, and then fill in the gaps with raw singles as needed. There is enough PSA inventory around now to build a set in that manner.

But collecting this set, in mint or better graded form, has reconnected me to the enjoyment of the hobby that I had lost over the years. I highly recommend it!
  • Long time no see to everyone here. I haven't posted in a very long time! Finally got me a #14 PSA 10, and found a #1 OPC PSA 8![/URL]">Text
  • Just got a vader!!!!! Yipeee!!!!!!

• Hey, this is Paul Holstein from www.vintagestarwarscards.com and a HUGE collector of PSA graded Star Wars cards. I know that many think Facebook is lame, but their forums are free and are a really great way to interactively discuss topics, buy/sell/trade for free, and just post cool pictures of your collection.

I have started a forum for Vintage Star Wars Cards, and have started showing off my collection of PSA graded cards. Thousands more scans to come. I've already gotten a few people to join and chime in to the discussion... including some of the legenday collectors like Gus Lopez and Andy Dukes.

Please send me your E-mail if you would like an invite (transparentpunk@hotmail.com) or post it here. Or you can probably just go to Facebook and search "Vintage Star Wars Cards". I'm the only admin right now (we have 11 members so far, but I only started it yesterday), and it's an open forum so anyone can join (I won't change that unless we start getting spam).

Thanks!

Paul Holstein
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    www.vintagestarwarscards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
    transparentpunk@hotmail.com
  • DtyDty Posts: 310 ✭✭
    I have for sale a 1977 Star Wars Sticker #15 See-Threepio PSA 10 GEM MINT, cert. number 20905215.

This beauty is a low pop....only 6 in existence.

In my ebay store I am asking $400.00. However, I am offering it here to fellow board members for $300.00 Paypal Gift; $325.00 with regular paypal invoice.

I will pick up shipping, signature delivery and insurance.

Thanks.

Tyler

dty
    Link to my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/halftimecardsandcollectibles/

Unopened Boxes, Packs, Cards, and Tickets

Just send me a PM or email me for discount off eBay pricing. Thanks
  • New to the "Vintage Star Wars Cards" Facebook page today: Scans of PSA graded Myojo Mech cards from my collection; lot of 25 Allens and Regina tan backs (raw) for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/525326630836184/

Join me!
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Paul,

Thanks for setting this Facebook group up. I love getting a glimpse of your epic, world-class collection. Hopefully we can get some other collectors involved!

• Thanks SumoMenkoMan - I will post some pictures of my Menkos in the coming week as well!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/525326630836184/
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
    Paul, shoot me an invite...I'm thinning a good chunk of my card collection to concentrate on the PSA graded cards myself. Email is captfisch@yahoo.com.

captfisch
    Time to bump the thread up a bit, I have several PSA 8 and 9 Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi cards and stickers up on eBay. A PSA 10 Empire Strikes Back card up as well. A whole lot of other Star Wars sets up as well. Thanks for your time and good luck to all!

captfisch

captfisch auctions
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    I purchased a complete set of the 1977 series a few weeks ago. Some of them appear to be MINT. I've sent in a few to test the grading on them. No stickers were included in the sets I purchased.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    Good luck - even with 35 years experience with this set, I never know how PSA will grade them from the naked eye (or even 10x magnification). I hope you hit some PSA 10's!
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been following along with this thread for a while now, really enjoying the discussion and scans. I haven't started the set yet, as much as I would like to. Just too many things in the hobby that I find interesting to be working on all of them right now but some day I plan to tackle this set.

I couldn't pass up adding a series 1 pack to my unopened pack collection though. Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread, I've really enjoyed it.

• kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Love those 1st series packs! Very nice!!
  • Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the psa 10 darth vader 1st series sticker on ebay? In my opinion, the bottom of the sticker looks trimmed and miscut. It certainly looks short (below min size requirement). Got me wondering, how does one gets a 10 on these first series stickers? don't they all have roller marks? Are these stickers being cut from sheets? I don't mean to single out the seller but it sure looks like they got a gift 1o from PSA.
    my best,
    eric
    Just took a look and you are right, the bottom of the sticker looks awful. I hope it was just a messup with the camera.

captfisch
  • My crappy scanner warps edges sometimes. I have bought many a card from that seller, haven't got one bad one yet.
    Does anyone have any PSA 9 doubles to sell? I am still looking for some!
    Just had this image emailed to me. Does anyone know what set it is? Are they difficult to find or valuable? This is an unopened pack.

No one?
    I would contact Paul Holstein. I would think he knows what it is. His contact info is on this thread somewhere. He is an expert on all things oddball for Star Wars.
    I am curious to think what people believe the current market would bear for one of the highest graded complete PSA 1977 Topps Star Wars sets. The market seems to continue to explode for these, especially high grade, relatively low population singles.
  • 10,000.00-15,000.00
    I'm hoping more in the $20k - $25k range. I think I could get $1500 - $2000 for my PSA 10 #1. It was the first one and was under the old grading style.

Even averaging Series 2-5 at $40 a card it comes to nearly $11000, average Series 1 at $140 and that's another $9000.
    With the way recent sales are trending, I would have to agree with CaptFisch. This is a set that people get in their veins and it takes them over.

• Greg you speak like someone who himself is addicted!? Lol.

Also, someone previously asked about the C-3PO error card, I do have a PSA 10 graded one, not sure how it slipped through the cracks at PSA.

Rick
    The Pawn
    the Pawn

"When you look into the abyss,
    the abyss also looks into you."
    No question, I started in 1977 collecting this set, and helped pushed to have it added to the Registry in about 2005. I have since been forced to sell off large chunks of my set on a few occasions due to "real life" stuff, but haven't been able to quit it entirely. It definitely takes me back to the days of my childhood, riding the bike to 7-11, having my dad bring packs home after work, spreading them on the floor to make sets, and memorizing the facts and minutiae on the backs.
    ...and I don't know whether to love you or curse you for adding it to the registry!! LOL! I remember buying some of those first PSA cards way back (they may have even been some of yours GregMo). My biggest single purchase was $6000 for 100 of the PSA 10s back in '04 or '05 (including that #1). Been loving it and collecting it ever since. After a few years, I started the Empire and Jedi sets as well.

I love this set for the same reasons as you, I was 7 when the movie came out and remember the puzzles on the backs of the cards and sticking those stickers everywhere I could!
  • I was 5 yrs old when Star Wars came out. Its in my blood as well. However, all I want to collect is just the 1977 Star Wars #1 Luke Skywalker variations in PSA 10 in WBread, Topps, OPC, and the Sticker (will take in psa 9), UK and Mexican I will take any grade. I recently picked up the OPC #1 in PSA 10 1/2. Yes, I know it will take forever to get Topps/Sticker and WBread in a PSA 10, but it will happen someday. Please check out the OPC in a different link in this forum.
  • Just purchased my first two PSA 10 cards, and my collection is starting to build up some momentum! Thank you all for helping me out on the first steps in this great hobby. It has been more fun than I ever imagined!

Now I am gone travelling for 6 months, getting married in Bali and seeing the world in general, but have a pretty good plan for what to do when I get back.

Build a complete series 1 PSA graded set, then build a complete PSA graded set with all series, then slowly upgrade cards. If anyone are selling cheap PSA 5+ cards from series one, feel free to contact me! image

Pawn, you need to talk to PSA about re-categorizing your PSA 10 error 207 serial number. I've seen some show up on eBay, so I believe they are grading them again, but the Pop Report doesn't show any PSA 10 error cards graded. Yours must be in the regular 207 population. Good luck with your set!