Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1976 Topps Football Group Rip ***Post Some Scans!! **

13»

Comments

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    mcolney1 - two packs paid in full!

Thanks for setting up this rip. I will display one unopened and bust the other. Will post scans.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    The money has been sent!

PAID!!

Thanks for the putting it together image
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a football collector, but when I saw this the other night and really wanted to get in on it...buuuut I had just bought a ton of hockey cards and depleted my "cards fund" for the remainder of the month.

good luck everyone, please post scans!

Patrick
  • Options
    Payment sent to Steve..
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    ttt

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Got my single cello in the mail today and ripped away. Overall impression was the centering was very good, the center card with the gum was stained and the outer 2-3 cards on the front and back had corner issues due to the cello wrapper which is typical for cards from this year. If the centering is consistent, somebody is going to score a very nice Payton.

I got the OJ Simpson pack scoring both his regular issue (PSA 8, the white spot is on my scanner) and league leader card (PSA 8 due to centering). Also got cards of Staubach (potential PSA 9), Chariler Joiner (Potential 9), Fred "Hunter" Dryer (PSA 8), Roy Jefferson (Potential 9), and Charlie Sanders (8/9).

Very cool rip and if I knew the centering would be this good I would probably have grabbed a couple more.

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Just got mine in the mail as well. I was undecided about ripping, but I'm going to do it. My first Christmas present to myself this year. Scans to follow.

Mike

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Not much to report here. No HOFers, a couple of very minor stars. top 3 had corner damage from the wrapper, and the gum card of course was no good. Very nice centering above the gum card, not so good below the gum. Here is the best of the sad bunch.

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    Does Norm Thompson have a part in his fro?
  • Options

Speaking of hair, what's that on your OJ DrJ? Nice card unless that's paperloss.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Speaking of hair, what's that on your OJ DrJ? Nice card unless that's paperloss. >>

Is that OJ Mayo in his hair? image
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of hair, what's that on your OJ DrJ? Nice card unless that's paperloss. >>

It's an unknown white material that was on my scanner glass, no paperloss. Might have to use a black light!
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    The only card worth posting:

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Hey Guys,

Im looking strong centered 8,9 quality cards for my Raw set.
    ANY help with my list would be greatly appriciated.

John

Want List:
    8 Record Breaker Taylor
    16 John Hannah
    17 JD Hill
    18 James Harris
    25 Fred Biletnikoff
    26 Ron Yankowski
    36 Tom Myers
    37 Bill Van Husen
    39 Tom Sullivan
    46 Neil Clabo
    49 Ed Podolak
    72 Tim Foley
    80 Cedrick Hardman
    115 Larry Brown
    130 John Dutton
    140 Lynn Swann
    141 Jim Carter
    165 Bill Bergey
    169 Bob Berry
    180 LC Greenwood
    183 Dave Jennings
    186 JJ Jones
    190 Rayfield Wright
    206 Punting Leaders
    214 Walker Gillette
    225 Preston Pearson
    237 Jessie Frettas
    246 Larry Schreiber
    260 Cliff Harris
    275 Greg Pruitt
    278 Fred Soloman
    304 Ray Wersching
    330 Chris Hanburger
    331 NFC Champs
    332 AFC Champs
    333 Super Bowl
    369 Bruce Closset
    394 Dave Hampton
    400 Chuck Foreman
    420 Jack Ham
    437 Larry Csnoka
    500 Fran Tarkenton
    501 Mike Wagner
    510 Ken Riley
    525 Bert Jones
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    other than the swann, the centering looks great so far. keep the scans coming. good luck on a payton.

i'm hope the 73s are the same way for the guys that got in on that one.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Opened my pack this morning. Nothing worth posting pics over. Got a Biletnikoff and Upshaw and centering was actually really good (no worse than 55/45), but every card had 2 touched upper corners and the first 8-9 cards before the gum had an edge ding on the right side. To be expected from cellos I guess. Was this consistent with anyone else's pack?

Brian
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Brian,

That is pretty much what I saw as well. Bought two packs and most had pretty good dings on the corners. There were a couple where the corners were nice. Centering was pretty good as well. Pulled a "Too Tall" Jones but the top LH corner had a decent ding. Wouldn't pay to send it in for grading. That was the only decent star I pulled.

I agree with you that dinged corners are the chance you take with cello's.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    ttt

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    I ripped mine last night after my wife and I got back home from a trip to the Oregon coast for our anniversary (#28!). No stars to speak of. The only card that appears in SMR is the Brian Sipe RC -- and it has a couple dark spots in the upper left smack dab in the middle of the blue sky. My favorite card, of course, was a Viking -- Chuck Foreman -- and he was in about the best shape of any of the cards. Overall centering was pretty decent. The card facing the gum had some edge damage as someone else mentioned. Here are the cards (in sequence) I received:

115 Larry Brown - RB Redskins
    486 Tody Smith - DE Oilers
    463 LA Rams Checklist
    32 Raymond Chester - TE Colts
    97 Mike Current - T Buccaneers
    376 Steve Grogan - QB Patriots
    516 Brian Sipe - QB Browns
    318 Bob Chandler - WR Bills
    232 Jim Cheyunski - MLB Colts
    (gum)
    21 Jim Yarbrough - T Lions
    63 Jerome Barkum - WR Jets
    181 John Outlaw - CB Eagles
    400 Chuck Foreman - RB Vikings
    235 Tommy Casanova - S Bengals
    240 John James - P Falcons
    505 Ken Burrough - WR Oilers
    37 Bill Van Heusen - P Broncos
    202 1975 NFL Receiving Leaders

It was exciting slowly going through the cards and hoping for that WP RC!

Thanks for organizing this, Rick! And thanks to Steve at BBCE for the great deal on the pack and the free shipping!
  • Options
    There are 2 Cellos Packs back up for grabs, if anybody is interested? Please send me a pm if you are!

Thanks!

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Evening,
    Recieved my pack today, Ripped away....Total bust, almost all cards bad corners, most more than one. Only Stars one Tarkenton, PSA 6 at best, and OJ/Foreman card, way OC. Nothing even worth scanning.
    Well spent $80.!!! Oh Well !!!!! Hope my 73 Rack makes up for the lack of this one!!
    limage
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Cards in great shape. Will keep the cello w/Dick Anderson on front and Issac Curtis on back sealed. Other pack had the following cards all pretty well centered and in great shape. Even the gum card was fine:

LA Ram Checklist
    Raymond Chester
    Mike Current
    Rickey Young
    Stan White
    Bob Chandler
    Jerry Sisemore
    Pat Curran
    Duane Carrell
    Mack Alston
    Frank LeMaster
    Jack Tatum
    Doug Dieken
    Ron Yankowski
    Charley Taylor PSA 8?
    Cliff Branch PSA 7?
    Jack Lambert PSA 7 a little out of register
    Punting Leaders

No Payton, but a fun rip. Better than buying lottery cards!

Tony
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    I didn't seem to have the corner damage mentioned in other posts. Packs were tightly wrapped and cards were in very good shape. No big winners here from the 2 packs I bought... here are some representative scans.... may use these and the 73 Topps to start my own TTM project. I think they would look great....

Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options
    I have never done a group rip before but I will take one of the last two packs. PM to bunker sent.
    WANTLIST
    1992 Topps FB Golds (72% complete)
    1997 Topps FB Minted in Canton (10% complete)
    1999 Topps FB Record Numbers Gold (80% complete)
    2001 Topps FB MVP Promotion (35% complete)
  • Options
    Payment sent to Steve Hart! Mark one more pack off the list.
    WANTLIST
  • Options
    Anyone get the Payton yet?
  • Options
    Calling all Paytons. I fear this is a repeat of the 1980 Topps Basball Cello rip where the Henderson's were missing.

I am at the point where I am probably going to pass on all vintage cellos as the stars have generally been cherry picked.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Calling all Paytons. I fear this is a repeat of the 1980 Topps Basball Cello rip where the Henderson's were missing.

I am at the point where I am probably going to pass on all vintage cellos as the stars have generally been cherry picked. >>

At least two of the packs haven't been ripped yet as they were just sold yesterday and today... I am alos wondering out of the 24 purchased if anyone kept theirs to get graded or have decided not to rip yet... 2 packs missing is almost 10%; if 2 people didn't rip theirs you are now close to 20% unopened...

mcolney1.... posted...Will keep the cello w/Dick Anderson on front and Issac Curtis on back sealed. Other pack had the following cards all pretty well centered

I ripped the 2 I received so far and bought the last pack and will rip that upon receipt.... looking at the posts below I only see 11 packs accounted for as being ripped... that's more than 1/2...not yet reported/ripped...

just saying it might not be over yet...
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭
    Need Jeff Wright and Chuck Foreman in high grade
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    I have 2 packs which I didn't rip yet (not sure if I am or not). With the "lack" of Payton appearing, my chances are increasing that I will open the packs. Buts lets remember there are 432 cards in the box, and the set is 528, So there are 96 cards not going to be in the box(excluding dups)

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    Buts lets remember there are 432 cards in the box, and the set is 528, So there are 96 cards not going to be in the box

true true...

I opened a box of 88 fleer basketball and got no doc rivers.. but got about 3-4 of every other card so it happens..
    hope someone pulls a payton

by the way... anyone got 3-4 doc rivers 88 fleer.. trying to build some sets.. lol
  • Options
    I wasn't in on this group rip but I did get 2 cello packs of 76 FB from BBCE on a different group rip about six months ago. I was happy, although corner issues were a concern. I sent a handful in on a group sub and here are the 2 PSA 9s that I got back:

• Options
    Is it me or does John Hadl look like a younger danny devito.
  • Options
    Good call. It always amazes me considering how "cute" pro athletes are now that the guys in their late 20s - 40s in the old days looked so dessicated.

Which reminds me: when I was in Montana last month I scored a copy of Jerry Kramer's second book about the reunion of the 67 Packers (for 50 cents). I remember reading his first book when I was a kid and has anyone else read it? You'd remember it if you did, because some of the stuff he lived through is friggin amazing.
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Ripped my two cellos last nite before I went out to watch the game

No Payton and nothing big, I think Joe Greene may have been the biggest star?

Nice condition though

I can try to scan tonite
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>......It always amazes me considering how "cute" pro athletes are now that the guys in their late 20s - 40s in the old days looked so dessicated.............. >>

Being a multi-millionaire and not having to work the other 6 months of the year has definite quality of life advantages.
  • Options
    Just received my pack in the mail from BBCE. This is my first group rip and since no one has pulled the Payton RC, my 10-year old son and I are excited to see if this pack is the one! One the front is an OJ Record breakers card. The corners, especially the lower left look dinged. On the back is George Blanda. Looking at the side, one of the gum cards has a huge edge ding. Hopefully, that isn't the Payton. Here are some pictures - Apologies for the poor quality. Could not get the scanner workign right so I just shot pictures:

WANTLIST
  • Options
    Here are the rip results:

first eight - Simpson card is cut slight larger than the rest so three of the 4 corners are badly dinged. Foreman is off-center. Bert Jones is a nicely centered card but the bottom two corners are a little soft.

here are the next 4 (minus one of the gum cards). Nice Tom Mack and Jan Stenerud. Both show a little softness on the lower corners. Will have to look closer at them to see if they are sub worthy.

here are the final bunch. Another HOFer in Paul Krause (looks like 4 good corners but a little off-center) and George Blanda. The Blanda, although slightly off-center has good corners except for a little touch on the lower right. The gum card with the awful edge ding was Phil Villapiano.

Since I collect modern cards, I could use some suggestions on what to sub, if anything.

Thanks to Rick (Bunker) for organizing the rip. This was fun and I may get in another one in the future.
    WANTLIST
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I collected these as a kid.
    I remember thinking Stenerud looks like he just missed a field goal.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Hi Guys and Gals:

I know some of you were involved with the '76 FB Cello Box Break from Steve. Well, I have one that has already been authenticated by Steve and PSA has put it in a "9" slab. First $85.00 in my PayPal account takes it. INCLUDES DELIVERY. (Mercury Morris on Back.) PM me.

**********************************************************PACK SOLD*********************************************************************

imageimage

**********************************************************PACK SOLD*********************************************************************
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Anybody?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ttt
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    ***********************PACK SOLD********************
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Got the last pack from the group rip hoping our good friend Payton might show up... not here: Cards were in excellent shape here's the pack: