Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1976 Topps Football Group Rip ***Post Some Scans!! **

There are 2 more packs available if anyone is interested please let me know!

BBCE has a 1976 Cello Box for sale. Here is their description:

1976 Topps Football Unopened Cello Box. Box contains 24 unopened cello packs. Packs are beautiful and MINT!

The price is $2,050 and there are 24 packs, which is $85.42 per pack.

Steve emailed me this morning (Sunday 11-22-09) and offered us a 10% discount and FREE SHIPPING! The Pack price with the discount is: $76.88

Payments should be made directly to BBCE. All packs will be sent directly from BBCE.

Please call BBCE to make payment arrangements Phone: 800-598-8656 or Paypal to: BBCExchange@sprintmail.com

Please mention the CU group rip and your Username.

Let me know after you pay so that I can get you marked as PAID

The big rookie card for 1976 is Walter Payton. The SMR for his card is:

PSA7; PSA8; PSA9; PSA10
$140; $220; $500+; $3500

I am not sure how many cards are in a pack, but I am sure somebody here knows image

Cards listed in the SMR:

George Blanda RB (HOF)
O.J. Simpson RB (HOF)
Fran Tarkenton RB (HOF)
Harvey Martin (R)
Terry Bradshaw (HOF)
Franco Harris (HOF)
Dan Fouts (HOF)
Lynn Swann (HOF)
Walter Payton (R) (HOF)
Randy White (R) (HOF)
Tarkenton/Anderson LL
O.J. Simpson/J. Otis LL
Simpson/ Forman LL
Jack Lambert (R) (HOF)
Joe Theisman
Joe Greene (HOF)
Bob Griese (HOF)
Steve Spurrier
O.J. Simpson (HOF)
John Riggins (HOF)
Len Dawson (HOF)
NFC Champs/ Staubach
Super Bowl X/Bradshaw
George Blanda RB (HOF)
Roger Staubach (HOF)
Ken Stabler
Jack Ham (HOF)
Ron Jaworski (R)
Ed Too Tall Jones (R)
Larry Csonka (HOF)
Mel Blount
Fran Tarkenton RB (HOF)
Brian Sipe (R)
Rocky Bleier

Official Sign Up List:

1. Bunker *PAID*
2. 2Cardguys *PAID*
3. 2Cardguys *PAID*
4. Daneyb
5. Daneyb
6. Mcolney1 *PAID*
7. Sportsamerica *PAID*
8. Sportsamerica *PAID*
9. Sidepocket *PAID*
10. elToroLoco
11. Drj *PAID*
12. Miklia *PAID*
13. thedutymon *PAID*
14. Sidepocket *PAID*
15. cincyredlegs *PAID*
16. initialD *PAID*
17. initialD *PAID*
18. mknez *PAID*
19. Arsenal83 *PAID*
20. Hoofhearted *PAID*
21. cincyredlegs *PAID*
22. Larryallen73 *PAID*
23. Mcolney1 *PAID*
24. ssdawg77 *PAID*

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

Comments

• Options
    I'd be in for 1 or 2

Ken

edit:
    They typically offer a 10% discount from what I've seen
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options
    I would be in for a couple
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I attempted to call BBCE and know one answers. I will try again on Monday morning to confirm that they still have the box and to see if they would be willing to offer any sort of a discount

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options

<< <i>I attempted to call BBCE and know one answers. I will try again on Monday morning to confirm that they still have the box and to see if they would be willing to offer any sort of a discount >>

Do you sit at your job and answer phones on Saturdays?image

20 to 1 they are at the Rosemont show today.
  • Options
    I wouldn't trust any "unopened" material anymore. Even the best dealers of this stuff are so savy with pack sequencing or have been sold the stuff by someone else clever with it, especially cellos, that there is no way in hell you are going to get any nice hits. Does anyone else remember the way to spot the pack with the '87 Fleer Bonds? Just my experience.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I attempted to call BBCE and know one answers. I will try again on Monday morning to confirm that they still have the box and to see if they would be willing to offer any sort of a discount >>

Do you sit at your job and answer phones on Saturdays?image

20 to 1 they are at the Rosemont show today. >>

I don't, but a lot of people do including BBCE in the past. I did forget about the show and you are correct that is probably where they are.

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    So this is a cello box? Stay away, any pack with Payton is long gone. I don't know this particular seller but I would say the chance of hitting a Payton RC is little to none. Perhaps Summer of Sam could shed some light on pack sequencing better than I. The shrink wrap on that box meas nothing. It wasn't until the early 90s when companies starting embedding their brand name into the shrink wrap which prevented this kind of searching.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>So this is a cello box? Stay away, any pack with Payton is long gone. I don't know this particular seller but I would say the chance of hitting a Payton RC is little to none. Perhaps Summer of Sam could shed some light on pack sequencing better than I. The shrink wrap on that box meas nothing. It wasn't until the early 90s when companies starting embedding their brand name into the shrink wrap which prevented this kind of searching. >>

You have to trust the source ... and I believe most people here trust Steve to know the packs were from that original box. Also, I believe most here know that shrink wrapping on these boxes did not come from the factory and Steve likes to shrink wrap boxes he authenticates (I'm guessing to protect the boxes.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    that there is no way in hell you are going to get any nice hits

Do a search for group rips and you will see that there have been quite a few over the years. The biggest one I remember was when a case of 1975 Topps Minis was purchased from BBCE for something like $25,000 a few years ago.

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So this is a cello box? Stay away, any pack with Payton is long gone. I don't know this particular seller but I would say the chance of hitting a Payton RC is little to none. Perhaps Summer of Sam could shed some light on pack sequencing better than I. The shrink wrap on that box meas nothing. It wasn't until the early 90s when companies starting embedding their brand name into the shrink wrap which prevented this kind of searching. >>

Perhaps you should do some research about the seller before making accusations you can't back up. We did a board rip of '76 cellos from BBCE 6-9 months ago and guess what? A Payton RC was pulled, and I believe it may have even graded a 9.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't trust any "unopened" material anymore. Even the best dealers of this stuff are so savy with pack sequencing or have been sold the stuff by someone else clever with it, especially cellos, that there is no way in hell you are going to get any nice hits. Does anyone else remember the way to spot the pack with the '87 Fleer Bonds? Just my experience. >>

Since you're new here I don't expect you to know this already, but Steve's (BaseballCardExchange) reputation is beyond reproach. I personally have pulled a Larry Bird/Magic Johnson rookie from wax I bought from him, as well as George Brett and Robin Yount rookies and many other key/high value cards. Another member of these boards (fergie23), who buys tons of high end wax from Steve, has pulled Gretzky and Jordan rookies (more than 1 Jordan if I remember correctly) from Steve's wax, with Jordan rookies being pretty easy to sequence. There was also the full 1986 Fleer basketball wax box that was bought from Steve by the members of this board for a group rip, and 4 Jordan rookies were found. For all I know Steve may be the last honest vintage wax dealer left, but that still enough to make your blanket statement false.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember 1980 cello wax packs /box with stars on top being sold to members here...dont recall how many hendersons were found...anyone know / remember?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I'm sorry if my words were misinterpreted as I have never bought from this particular seller. But let's assume that this seller himself did not pull out any of the "hot packs", who is to say that others before him did not? My overall opinion is that spending $ on "unopened" wax is soooooo risky that I would hate to see a hobbyist burnt. Like I said, pack sequencing is very different from pack resealing and there are many devious dealers who might have a case of something, weed out the "hot" packs, and then resell the rest to an honest guy who would be hard-pressed to notice the devious scheme. If you want a sharp Payton RC or other HOFers from this year, just go out and buy one!
  • Options
    and then resell the rest to an honest guy who would be hard-pressed to notice the devious scheme

Nevermind

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    SidneyBeans, if you'll do some research you'll see that Steve Hart is THE authority when it comes to unopened authentication. If PSA trusts him then I think that says a little something. It's amazing that people will just throw accusations out there when they have no idea what they are talking about. I've bought several 70's VENDING boxes (which would be the easiest to search, imo) and have gotten 2-3 key rookies and tons of gem mint stars out of every single one of them. All of the wax I've bought from his has been good too. Not to mention that if some of his vintage stuff has slight gum or water damage that he has, in the past, taken it back.
  • Options
    Plenty of Steve's unopened material comes from sealed cases, so your neuroses would not apply.

If you arent planning on participating in this group rip, you and your public service announcements should just walk on by.
  • Options
    I will just put you down as a NO

JDRF Donation
  • Options

<< <i>I will just put you down as a NO >>

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I would go in on two packs. Tony
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    Wow. Didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers image I think the point I was trying to make is that b/c the manufacturing process during the 1980s and earlier was so flawed (anyone with a 3rd grade education could figure out which cello pack the Bonds would appear in...) that most of those hot packs since then have been open. As for the seller offering this box, I will leave it up to you to make that call, it's your money. As for the argument "So and so on this board had a hot hit just last year...?" Obviously someone with a vested interest in selling unopened boxes on this board is not going to short-change everytime, so if that is your #1 argument...In short, don't buy "unopened" wax, and never cellos.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    musical fruit.
  • Options
    I'm sorry that the one 1987 cello pack you bought didnt have a Bonds in it, but trust me, whoever took the Bonds card out did you a favor.

Now move along beanbag.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. Didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers image I think the point I was trying to make is that b/c the manufacturing process during the 1980s and earlier was so flawed (anyone with a 3rd grade education could figure out which cello pack the Bonds would appear in...) that most of those hot packs since then have been open. As for the seller offering this box, I will leave it up to you to make that call, it's your money. As for the argument "So and so on this board had a hot hit just last year...?" Obviously someone with a vested interest in selling unopened boxes on this board is not going to short-change everytime, so if that is your #1 argument...In short, don't buy "unopened" wax, and never cellos. >>

You don't want to ruffle feathers, but you continue to make ignorant accusations such as "someone with a vested interest in selling unopened boxes on this board is not going to short-change everytime". As a matter of fact, in my time on the boards here, I don't remember a group rip from BBCE where the key cards were not pulled. Gretzky from the 79-80 Topps, Brett and Yount from 75 minis, 4 Jordans from the 86 Fleer Rip, Hendersons from the 80T rips. I think we had 16-18 Ozzie rookies from the 79T vending rip.

I'm beginning to think you have an axe to grind or an ulterior motive.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a guy who supposedly knows so much about unopened product states that he's "not familiar with this seller," meaning Steve Hart, well, one would be wise to assume that said guy actually knows absolutely NOTHING about unopened product, in fact.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I guess I'm just saying that unopened cellos are a very risky venture even when those packs come from a reputable dealer. I don't think that is an outrageous statement to make and someone pulling a hit on this board is not enough evidence for me to negate the issues present with 1980s and earlier cello packs.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    the problem was...you pointed the statement towards a very "well liked" and reputable dealer and edited your original post...

nevertheless...a learning experience for all...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>I guess I'm just saying that unopened cellos are a very risky venture even when those packs come from a reputable dealer. I don't think that is an outrageous statement to make and someone pulling a hit on this board is not enough evidence for me to negate the issues present with 1980s and earlier cello packs. >>

Dude, this may not be the right message board for you. We appreciate everything you have done for all of us up to this point, but maybe give another message board a shot.
  • Options

<< <i>I guess I'm just saying that unopened cellos are a very risky venture even when those packs come from a reputable dealer. I don't think that is an outrageous statement to make and someone pulling a hit on this board is not enough evidence for me to negate the issues present with 1980s and earlier cello packs. >>

Ok. You've made your point a few times now. This isn't a "why shouldn't we do a group rip" thread, this is a thread about actually doing a group rip. We have done quite a few of them here and are all very well aware of the associated risks. Most of us here are comfortable with BBCE's reputation because we've done so much business with him in the past. You obviously haven't, so sit back and watch for a while before you spout off with uninformed accusations.
  • Options

<< <i>uy who supposedly knows so much about unopened product states that he's "not familiar with this seller," meaning Steve Hart, well, one would be wise to assume that said guy actually knows absolutely NOTHING about unopened product, in fact. >>

Beanie, you're a rookie, most of understand your inexperience in the hobby. I can also sense you had a bad experience with 87 Fleer cellos. Hey, if you want, we can do group break on a case of 87 Fleer. I'll even donate the first Bonds I pull, to you.

As for BBCE and Steve, the guy sells $50,000 boxes and just sold a $16,000 box to the Board. The Board pulled 4 Jordan's, I dont see what the logic would be to risk a guaranteed cash flow(The Board) over a $90 cello pack(supposedly sequenced to have Payton in it). What would he do with the Payton? Sell it for $150?
  • Options

<< <i>Ok. You've made your point a few times now. This isn't a "why shouldn't we do a group rip" thread, this is a thread about actually doing a group rip. We have done quite a few of them here and are all very well aware of the associated risks. Most of us here are comfortable with BBCE's reputation because we've done so much business with him in the past. You obviously haven't, so sit back and watch for a while before you spout off with uninformed accusations >>

----------Ok, fair enough. Didn't mean to spoil anyone's fun and good luck with your "group rip." (Note: Any editing was grammatical in nature, I did not change anything of substance....)
  • Options
    Eltoro Loco--Ok, I appreciate your kind response. I have nothing personal against Steven Hart but have enough experience to know that cello packs are a "buyer beware" product. That's just my personal opinion and of course I respect if others feel otherwise. If folks have a seller they trust enough to remove the risk that cello boxes pose then god bless 'em. Thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>When a guy who supposedly knows so much about unopened product states that he's "not familiar with this seller," meaning Steve Hart, well, one would be wise to assume that said guy actually knows absolutely NOTHING about unopened product, in fact. >>

I agree with you 100%.

From Sidneybeans first post a mere 10 days ago:

Just wanted to say hi everyone, look forward to learning more about cards and hopefully helping out when I can.

It is hard to learn when you are close minded

Beans if you get a chance you should take a look at BBCE's inventory:

BBCE

JDRF Donation
  • Options

<< <i>Eltoro Loco--Ok, I appreciate your kind response. I have nothing personal against Steven Hart but have enough experience to know that cello packs are a "buyer beware" product. That's just my personal opinion and of course I respect if others feel otherwise. If folks have a seller they trust enough to remove the risk that cello boxes pose then god bless 'em. Thanks! >>

I really enjoyed those 36 minutes.
  • Options

<< <i> really enjoyed those 36 minutes. >>

-----------Are you referring to the disagreement? If so, it reminds me of when "Mr. Mintacular" used to be on this board. Do you remember who I'm talking about? It took me a while to pay the $ to join these boards but I would read here from time to time and there always was some conflict around him. I must admit, it was a guilty pleasure image
  • Options

<< <i>.........It took me a while to pay the $ to join these boards............ >>

The CU message boards are free. You're just full of accurate knowledge huh? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>.........It took me a while to pay the $ to join these boards............ >>

The CU message boards are free. You're just full of accurate knowledge huh? image >>

On a serious note, I would love to be a part of this group rip but I'm about to drop a grand on a plane ticket. image
  • Options
    Really? Damn! Maybe I'll pull a Payton RC from a group rip that I can "sub" which will make the subscription fee worth it...Then again, prally aint' gonna happen image
  • Options
    This clown is definitely a banned alt.
  • Options
    Keep me 2 packs if you do this

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I'd be in for a pack. Did we find out how many cards are in a 76 cello pack?

"Molon Labe"

• Options

<< <i>I'd be in for a pack. Did we find out how many cards are in a 76 cello pack? >>

Not yet, I am curious as well.

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    I believe it is 18 cards per cello.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure there are 18 cards in a 1976 football cello, but I've been known to be wrong before.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    18 is correct.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    18 minus a Payton image J/K, I'm sure you guys will do well image
  • Options

<< <i>Are you referring to the disagreement? If so, it reminds me of when "Mr. Mintacular" used to be on this board. >>

Between Rube and Mintacular, this Board was a virtual "reality show". They gave the Board a different personality,before they were banned. As for Beanie, I do agree that the sequencing issue gives 80's cello and rack boxes a higher risk for the consumer. Yes, there is always risk, but it's easier to pull the trigger on a lone box from a reputable dealer(No, Steve isn't the only one). Thanks for chiming in on your experience with modern unopened, just watch how it's conveyed and try to keep from insulting Steve. He seems to have a following here image

Edited to add: I'm in for one pack depending on the card count and discount. (Hate for it to be a 3 card pack ) image
  • Options
  • Options
    I must admit, that's funny 'Nam! So you have to agree with everyone to be likeable over here, eh?
  • Options

<< <i>I must admit, that's funny 'Nam! So you have to agree with everyone to be likeable over here, eh? >>

Go away banned alt.
  • Options
    Here's a link to a group rip from April:

Payton Pulled

ssollars pulled a Payton and sent it to be graded and it came back a PSA 9. image

JDRF Donation