Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on the grade of my new Flowing hair half? Crusty or cleaned?

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
Coin is not in hand, I only have the images to go by.

Crusty or cleaned hard to tell from the images. Don't hold back.image

Comments

• Options
    Looks like it has been dipped but there is still some crust in the recesses and the coin has been retoning for some time......acceptable in my opinion. image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like way more detail and rims than a Good-06, but also looks washed or rubbed or something to have a degree of shinyness. A case of excessive net grading perhaps.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    O-113a R-4 A/E Variety (in STATES)

Looks like a G-6 to me and CAC agrees...

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    if that is a good digi-pic & that is really that that coin looks like, then the dudes at cac gotta be looking at coins through a paper sack. that abomination is cleaned to high he11

K S
  • Options

<< <i>if that is a good digi-pic & that is really that that coin looks like, then the dudes at cac gotta be looking at coins through a paper sack. that abomination is cleaned to high he11 >>

I am hoping the seller is making the coin look worse than it is by imaging it with too much light.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad coin by flowing hair standards, but it does appear to have been dipped/cleaned in the past to me.

That said, if the TPGs (or CAC) only slabbed (and stickered) uncleaned flowing hair halves, I think there would be all of six slabbed examples and all of them would be black.

Nice coin, congrats!
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Crusty or cleaned hard to tell from the images. Don't hold back. >>

Don't hold back? OK...... Even if the lighting was harsh I don't see "crusty" whatsoever no way, no how. Even with the green label holder, and the green sticker this coin would not be a consideration for me to buy. I don't care for it, I can get a good enough read on these images to have a good idea what it looks like.

BTW, I actually did hold back on my reply. This is me being nice.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    I don't think I would want to judge from these picks, but my guess would also be dipped then envelope toned. But you do not know for sure if the pics are accurate or not...
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if that is a good digi-pic & that is really that that coin looks like, then the dudes at cac gotta be looking at coins through a paper sack. that abomination is cleaned to high he11

K S >>

My first thought when I opened the thread was cleaned.
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219

<< <i>Not a bad coin by flowing hair standards, but it does appear to have been dipped/cleaned in the past to me.

That said, if the TPGs (or CAC) only slabbed (and stickered) uncleaned flowing hair halves, I think there would be all of six slabbed examples and all of them would be black.

Nice coin, congrats! >>

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That said, if the TPGs (or CAC) only slabbed (and stickered) uncleaned flowing hair halves, I think there would be all of six slabbed examples and all of them would be black. >>

I gotta admit, Mike makes a good point.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least the sticker looks original. image

I think the coin was probably net-graded for the cleaning...maybe not enough.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At least the sticker looks original. image

I think the coin was probably net-graded for the cleaning...maybe not enough. >>

And CAC net-stickered it for what reason?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think the coin was probably net-graded for the cleaning...maybe not enough. >>

And CAC net-stickered it for what reason? >>

Is it possible one of the CAC owners owned this coin?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

because they know they could sell it down the road i suppose.
    it is a highly desirable coin in any condition.

to answer the OP.. looked cleaned up to me. but i have seen much
    worse and this is not it.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    avoid- sorry

I wonder about CAC when I see a coin like this

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>

net-sticker!

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

what's next , details-sticker only?

BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

K S
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not a bad coin by flowing hair standards, but it does appear to have been dipped/cleaned in the past to me.

Nice coin, congrats! >>

My feelings exactly.
    Paul
  • Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks more like a high-end VG coin to me image
  • Options

<< <i>It looks more like a high-end VG coin to me >>

That is what I was thinking. It has a lot of meat for the grade. I was hoping if it was CAC approved maybe it might not look as washed out in hand. Regardless I am keeping this coin. With help from 15% cashback, the price was right for the details the coin has.
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I thought CAC was for certifying properly graded, non-messed with coins...to protect those who can't tell if the certified coin they are buying has been doctored or improperly graded?
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a bit of silver Draped Bust material has been cleaned, slabbed, and net graded. It's deemed to be "market acceptable." While some of it doesn't look bad, per se, personally, I avoid those coins. But to each his own.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    that coin looks exactly as it should. Cleaned in the past perhaps as well as almost all other silver coins of the era. I am no CAC fan at all but all there saying is they agree with the grade and so do I its a textbook g6. It is a fantastic coin.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

Nice coin, congrats! >>

I agree wholeheartedly with the above comments. For the date, I think this coin is correctly graded, and I wouldn't hesitate to place it in my collection. (but I can't afford it right now). image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    So CAC will stiker crap looking coins no matter how old or what condition they are in.

Amazing, simply amazing.

this should have BB'd back in the late 80's according to PCGS standards.

Really would like to see it grade today WITHOUT the green sticka!

and the question was raised about licensing TPG's and dealers????
  • Options
    Thanks for the opinions. Please keep them coming.

The CAC greenbean makes me feel like the coin will be much darker in hand. If the coin is completely hideous why would CAC greenbean it? Because of the meaty deatils for the grade. If the coin is hideous in hand, I guess CAC is agreeing with PCGS's net grading.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an old cleaning to me.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

<< <i>if that is a good digi-pic & that is really that that coin looks like, then the dudes at cac gotta be looking at coins through a paper sack. that abomination is cleaned to high he11

K S >>

Ahmen
  • Options
    i keep seeing goofy comments like "most of them have been cleaned". this is NOT TRUE of low grade f.h. material, esp. in the ag/g/vg level. most of them XF & ABOVE have been cleaned but < f-12, you should be able to easily stick w/ original coins

do not be fooled by such wacky wrong statements. i would guess that at the au+ level, 98% of early silver has been cleaned, but below f-12, it is more like 1/3.

again, dump that 1, have the patience to get a better example not cleaned.

K S
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of this coin. It has been cleaned, and it has hairlines.

About three years ago I had one of these coins in a PCGS VG-10 holder. It was totally original and had great eye appeal for the grade. I paid $1,500 for it and turned it over at the same FUN show for a 10% mark-up. It ran circles around this piece.

I've not been impressed with many of the early coins I've seen with CAC stickers. They tend to ignore cleaning and other problems. I would never pay a premium for an early coin just because it has a CAC sticker. I need to see the coin first.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has a green bean. Any opinion I have would be meaningless.image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>again, dump that 1, have the patience to get a better example not cleaned.[/QYou seem to think super original flowing hair halves are a dime a dozen dorkkarl. What coin shops / shows do you frequent?
    I am not goin to " dump that 1".
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin has nicer color than many, but it looks like it has been cleaned and has hairlines. Of course early date coinage gets a much wider berth for past cleanings than do many other series, so you still get a lot of cleaned and problem looking coins in PCGS slabs.

I would give it a 6.5 out of 10 on the eye appeal chart. Like Dorkkarl opined, I would definitely wait for a nicer, unmolested example.

Tyler
  • Options
    This coin is not my only example of a flowing hair half. This is a crusty PCGS G04.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any TPG graded 1795s. Maybe someone could post a G6, VG8, VG10, F12, and F15 coins to compare to the OP's coin. This would certainly confirm net-grading on the OP example. I like the looks of the coin in the photo and I would consider it an excellent value for G6 money. To me, net-grading is not useful (unless buying)and is a lot more subjective than the technical grading. The technical grade and the reason(s) for the net-grade are far more important for value considerations. ANACS used to net-grade but gave it up.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't have any TPG graded 1795s. Maybe someone could post a G6, VG8, VG10, F12, and F15 coins to compare to the OP's coin. This would certainly confirm net-grading on the OP example. I like the looks of the coin in the photo and I would consider it an excellent value for G6 money. To me, net-grading is not useful (unless buying)and is a lot more subjective than the technical grading. The technical grade and the reason(s) for the net-grade are far more important for value considerations. ANACS used to net-grade but gave it up. >>

Alpine numismatics has a pretty nice looking PCGS VG10. It still looks like it might have some light hairlines. Alpine Numismatics

Also, Harry Laibstain has a 1795 O-126 PCGS VG10 That has the perfect look that I love, but the price? Does it come in a diamond encrusted case or what? image

Tyler
  • Options
    now the coin above my post is a great example i would love to own.
    the original OP one.. not so much.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't have any TPG graded 1795s. Maybe someone could post a G6, VG8, VG10, F12, and F15 coins to compare to the OP's coin. This would certainly confirm net-grading on the OP example. I like the looks of the coin in the photo and I would consider it an excellent value for G6 money. To me, net-grading is not useful (unless buying)and is a lot more subjective than the technical grading. The technical grade and the reason(s) for the net-grade are far more important for value considerations. ANACS used to net-grade but gave it up. >>

Here are all the 1794 and 1795 half dollars sold on Heritage. Judge the grading (and the relative number of cleaned examples) for yourself...Mike

http://coins.ha.com/common/search_results.php?N=51+790+231+370&Ne=304&D=1794+or+1795&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchboolean&Ns=&Nf=&Ntt=1794+or+1795&x=19&y=11&Ntk=SI_Titles
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>again, dump that 1, have the patience to get a better example not cleaned.[/QYou seem to think super original flowing hair halves are a dime a dozen dorkkarl. What coin shops / shows do you frequent?
    I am not goin to " dump that 1". >>

HUH??? why do you think i said BE PATIENT??? of course they don't fall out of trees, but if you persist, you WILL find a uncleaned example

K S
  • Options

<< <i>i keep seeing goofy comments like "most of them have been cleaned". this is NOT TRUE of low grade f.h. material, esp. in the ag/g/vg level. most of them XF & ABOVE have been cleaned but < f-12, you should be able to easily stick w/ original coins

do not be fooled by such wacky wrong statements. i would guess that at the au+ level, 98% of early silver has been cleaned, but below f-12, it is more like 1/3. >>

<< <i>HUH??? why do you think i said BE PATIENT??? of course they don't fall out of trees, but if you persist, you WILL find a uncleaned example >>

First 1/3 of the low grade examples are original, and now you have to be patient to find one.

As you might say, Ken...

BWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>i keep seeing goofy comments like "most of them have been cleaned". this is NOT TRUE of low grade f.h. material, esp. in the ag/g/vg level. most of them XF & ABOVE have been cleaned but < f-12, you should be able to easily stick w/ original coins

do not be fooled by such wacky wrong statements. i would guess that at the au+ level, 98% of early silver has been cleaned, but below f-12, it is more like 1/3. >>

<< <i>HUH??? why do you think i said BE PATIENT??? of course they don't fall out of trees, but if you persist, you WILL find a uncleaned example >>

First 1/3 of the low grade examples are original, and now you have to be patient to find one.

As you might say, Ken...

BWAHAHAHAHA >>

well based on simple math it seems if the ratio is 1 to every 3 is
    not cleaned up.. you would have to wait triple the time to find a nicer
    one.

seems to me that is the defintion of patience when it comes to buying
    a coin. waiting triple the amount of time. perhaps putting it another
    way you will have to wait for 3 major auctions or what have you.
  • Options
    I already stated my opinion, and don't care to debate my opinion. I will say yes, these are tough to find completely original. There are many that are more original than not though. And can be found quite easily but you're going to have to step up and pay good money for it. I also feel folks want to call anything with some brown on the coin "crusty." Starting to remind me when anything with a touch of color was/is called "Rainbow." Agreed we need to take into consideration the age of the coin and most have been boinked with. Myself, I try to find the ones that are perhaps original now. Or completely original. Yes, I'll take that nasty one that is full of old crud or black before I'll take a stripped one.

I also don't try and figure out or care why a certain company would slab or sticker a coin that's been boinked with. They do IMO and that's really all there is to it.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

As you might say, Ken...

BWAHAHAHAHA >>

one.

way you will have to wait for 3 major auctions or what have you. >>

While I disagree (strongly) with the premise that 1/3 are original, I'm with you, FC -- but its not like these are rare coins. Go to any major auction and you have multiple examples to choose from -- just take a look at the Heritage link I posed above where you will see 9 examples in the LA ANA auction alone, for example. Take care...Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I already stated my opinion, and don't care to debate my opinion. I will say yes, these are tough to find completely original. There are many that are more original than not though. And can be found quite easily but you're going to have to step up and pay good money for it. I also feel folks want to call anything with some brown on the coin "crusty." Starting to remind me when anything with a touch of color was/is called "Rainbow." Agreed we need to take into consideration the age of the coin and most have been boinked with. Myself, I try to find the ones that are perhaps original now. Or completely original. Yes, I'll take that nasty one that is full of old crud or black before I'll take a stripped one. >>

Hey Stman, as a follower of this series, what % of flowing hair halves do you think have been cleaned? Just wondering...Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Stman, as a follower of this series, what % of flowing hair halves do you think have been cleaned? Just wondering...Mike >>

I don't know any %. Probably most have been messed with in some way. But, like I mentioned there are plenty that are more original than not, or more original looking. I would wait for those.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Not a bad coin but probably net graded.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Cleaning long ago with re-toning turned crusty. I like it, so did PSA, and so did CAC. Looks nice!
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options

<< <i>I also feel folks want to call anything with some brown on the coin "crusty." Starting to remind me when anything with a touch of color was/is called "Rainbow." >>

<< <i>Cleaning long ago with re-toning turned crusty. I >>

Thanks for making my point Dizzy!image
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not want the coin as a single type representative, but if it were a difficult die variety I would not mind having it. The A/E is interesting and one of the more common varieties. I currently have 21 flowing hair halves, sold a few and traded up on others. They range from crusty original to original looking to wiped to a very rare holed, cleaned, and re-toned piece. I like all of them, for different reasons.

They are hard to find complety original, and many are original looking that probably have been messed with, no one knows for sure.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

As you might say, Ken...

BWAHAHAHAHA >>

one.

way you will have to wait for 3 major auctions or what have you. >>

While I disagree (strongly) with the premise that 1/3 are original, I'm with you, FC -- but its not like these are rare coins. Go to any major auction and you have multiple examples to choose from -- just take a look at the Heritage link I posed above where you will see 9 examples in the LA ANA auction alone, for example. Take care...Mike >>

if you base your assessment on auctions, you will end up wrong for sure. most of the more original coins are in collections & NOT on the mkt. also, not too sure why you do not follow my "1/3" ratio, cuz it says nothing about how many OF the 2/3 are actually for sale. 1 thing i would absolutely say w/ not hesitation is that if a collector own 10 1795 fhds of g-6 details & decides to sell 1 to free up cash, he's gonna sell the ugliest 1 first

the point is, you may have to way, but the patience is worth it. he11, you can probably go to the countryside show & find a decently original example

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file