Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on the grade of my new Flowing hair half? Crusty or cleaned?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Ken, that makes more sense now. I'm still not sure I agree with the 1/3 ratio, but your comments do make a great deal more sense now. Thanks for the clarification...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't think this coin will look as bad in the image as in hand. Boy, some of you seemed pissed that I am not returning this coin to the seller.image This is not my first flowing half dollar that I own and I plan on owning a few more as time goes on.

What the so called experts aren't saying is how much more MONEY $$$$$$ the flowing half dollar with that "perfect look" costs over greysheet ask. Throw the sheet in the trash when pricing them boys.

The 2nd coin I posted in this thread is a G04 and is meatless compared to the G06 in the original post.

Are a network of dealers set up to buy these CAC coin sight unseen? That gives me some backing from CAC. image
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What the so called experts aren't saying is how much more MONEY $$$$$$ the flowing half dollar with that "perfect look" costs over greysheet ask. Throw the sheet in the trash when pricing them boys. >>

Not sure what you're tone is here. You asked for opinions, said "don't hold back" now you seem to be upset.image While I'm certainly no expert I did say.....

<< <i>I will say yes, these are tough to find completely original. There are many that are more original than not though. And can be found quite easily but you're going to have to step up and pay good money for it. >>

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>There are many that are more original than not though. >>

I have found that that is not a true statement............at least not in my neck of the woods.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I have found that that is not a true statement............at least not in my neck of the woods. >>

To clarify in case I'm being misunderstood...... When I say more original than not, I'm not saying completely original...... just some are more original looking, and some are much less original looking. Heck, I don't know how to communicate it and at this point don't care!image You like it, enjoy it.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    to wrap up. when you see a coin like that, just gotta to say to yourself.... ..

there's a reason why that coin is still in a slab

K S
  • Options
    mepotmepot Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    This is the coin Bill Jones mentioned earlier.I got it from him at the FUN show,and it is definitely in my keeper box.

PCGS VG10 This is a crappy pic,but this coin is as crusty and original as they get.

Edit to say , Thanks again for a great coin,Bill!!! image

computer illiterate,becoming coin literate with the help of this forum.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is the coin Bill Jones mentioned earlier.I got it from him at the FUN show,and it is definitely in my keeper box.

PCGS VG10 This is a crappy pic,but this coin is as crusty and original as they get.

Edit to say , Thanks again for a great coin,Bill!!! image

image >>

I am diggin' this coin!
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I have found that that is not a true statement............at least not in my neck of the woods. >>

To clarify in case I'm being misunderstood...... When I say more original than not, I'm not saying completely original...... just some are more original looking, and some are much less original looking. Heck, I don't know how to communicate it and at this point don't care!image You like it, enjoy it. >>

stman , your responses as a very knowledgeable collector of this series were insightful and rational this type of post does help many of us out there reading a great deal.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>to wrap up. when you see a coin like that, just gotta to say to yourself.... ..

there's a reason why that coin is still in a slab

K S >>

Now this just has to be read again.
    .image
    Awesome
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>To clarify in case I'm being misunderstood...... When I say more original than not, I'm not saying completely original...... just some are more original looking, and some are much less original looking. Heck, I don't know how to communicate it and at this point don't care! >>

I think you are trying to say originality has several levels. Same as different mint state levels. You have your MS60, low end look of originality and your MS65 high end look of originality....so to speak. I totally agree with this.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It looks more like a high-end VG coin to me >>

That is what I was thinking. It has a lot of meat for the grade. I was hoping if it was CAC approved maybe it might not look as washed out in hand. Regardless I am keeping this coin. With help from 15% cashback, the price was right for the details the coin has. >>

crack it out and carry as a pocket piece for a while...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file