Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1793 Large Cent MS69

Where have I been, never knew this one existed till I stumbled across it today. Wonder who the lucky owner is?

imageimage

coinfacts

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure that I have met him and that he is a lurker here. He has some other real showstoppers (if I am correct about who owns it).
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    There are also a few MS68RB early cents (pre-1800). I've seen images of these super cents and they are incredible.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are also a few MS68RB early cents (pre-1800). I've seen images of these super cents and they are incredible. >>

A few?
  • Options
    Wow I have never seen any one as pretty as that one very nice
  • Options

<< <i>There are also a few MS68RB early cents (pre-1800). I've seen images of these super cents and they are incredible. >>

Maybe NGC but PCGS shows no pre-1800 68RBs in the census.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    The color on that coin looks a little off. But I'm sure its just the photography.

How does a copper coin stay that nice after 215 years???
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC shows 1 Chain Cent S-4 in 67, nothing higher and 1 1794 Liberty Cap Cent, Head of '94, in 67 with nothing higher.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't this one actually graded Specimen 69 (SP69)?
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't this one actually graded Specimen 69 (SP69)? >>

No and from coin facts,

PCGS MS-69 Brown (illustrated above). Ex - Ernest Henderson, 1958 - Dorothy Paschal, 1959 - Dr. William H. Sheldon, April 19, 1972 - R.E. Naftzger, Jr., February 23, 1992 - Eric Streiner - Jay Parrino (The Mint) - Superior Stamp & Coin's "ANA 2000 National Money Show" Sale, March 2-3, 2000, Lot 67, "PCGS MS-69 Brown", unsold - Superior Galleries "The ANA 2001 National Money Show Auction", March 8-9, 2001, Lot 12 at $172,500.00, "PCGS MS-69 Brown". This coin is the plate coin for the variety in William Noyes' "United States Large Cents 1793-1814". This is the finest example of the variety and the only Large Cent of any date that has ever earned a grade of MS-69, in any color!
  • Options

<< <i>

Maybe NGC but PCGS shows no pre-1800 68RBs in the census. >>

There is the famous 68RD Wreath Cent, but not a single 68RB early copper of any date.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe NGC but PCGS shows no pre-1800 68RBs in the census. >>

There is the famous 68RD Wreath Cent, but not a single 68RB early copper of any date. >>

Okay, perhaps I embellished things. Let's try again...

There are a few super high grade early cents one of which is labeled RD although it appears from images to be RB. There is an image of a group of these that I know many of the board members have seen but I do not have it. I had hoped somebody could provide it here.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I've held that coin -- simply awesome -- one of the greatest coins in the world. image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Wow, a nice copper
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Its so nice it looks fake!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    MS69???

Must be a modern...image
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    It's interesting how much of a boost this coin gets from its age. For most copper, it's basically impossible to be a 69 without blazing full mint red.
  • Options
    This is the famous photo:

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could get some on eBay that look just like that, maybe even better... big deal! image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screw the $20 saints.......THAT is a coin!!!!!
    Wow!

Nice montage of high grades ones as well! Wow!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>This is the famous photo:

image >>

image Holy Moley image

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    I think the group picture was taken by Jay Parrino back in the mid 1990s when he specialized in "finest known" examples....He owned (or owns) a company called "The Mint" and was last located in Kansas City.....boy did he have a rather interesting inventory at one time.

I know that many on these boards remember him from the 1933 $20 Saint deal that turned ugly around 1998 that involved a dealer from London....Fenton was his name if I rememer correctly...............
    Fountain of Useless Information
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope somebody doesn't hijack the picture and list them on eBay as a group.......image

"I don't know coins, but my grandfather left these to me in his will and a friend said they might be worth a little bit....." "Wire transfer only"
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I notice all the certification numbers are very close to one another, but that there are a couple of gaps. I want to see the rest of that submission!!! image
  • Options

image >>

Thank you. That is the image I was thinking of.

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    What an amazing group of early copper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Shamika I am glad you remembered that photo and it got posted, just what I needed today. Parrino has led an interesting numismatic life.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    incredible to see those 1790's "SP"' and 3 of them to boot...amazing

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>I notice all the certification numbers are very close to one another, but that there are a couple of gaps. I want to see the rest of that submission!!! image >>

I never noticed that, and I agree with you!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where have I been, never knew this one existed till I stumbled across it today. Wonder who the lucky owner is?

imageimage

coinfacts >>

That's a great coin but I didn't think PCGS graded brown copper above 66.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I still have one of Jay's 'catalogs' that used to come as full color glossy multipage inserts in CoinWorld, that had these cents listed in it. I wonder if they still reside in OGH's, or if someone has cracked them out by now to try and get upgrades image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Damn nice!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Excuse me while I go and change...........
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    If that coin does not have a sticker, Longacre will eat his hat.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If that coin does not have a sticker, Longacre will eat his hat. >>

Why would this coin ever need a sticker?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OMFG what lovely coins!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If that coin does not have a sticker, Longacre will eat his hat. >>

I was the underbidder on that coin at Salt Lake City. Although it is a great piece, I would eat *my* hat if it would grade MS69 upon crackout and resubmission.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any idea who the original (1793) owner was? How did they manage to survive for so long without being "messed with?"
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Wow, I thought when I opened this thread it was going to be a joke about an ebay listing. Amazing coins.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    291fifth, all those 1793s in the photo were Ted Naftzger's coins. He sold off the vast majority of his Early Date Large Cents in 1990-91 to Eric Streiner. Jay Parrino then got "1st shot" at all of these coins and he bought a bunch of them, got them slabbed, and started advertising them for sale in 1991. The "remnants" of Natzger's Early Dates were recently discovered in one of his desk drawers and consigned to the Goldbergs who sold them at auction this past September.

I remember looking at all of these astounding Early Dates at my first EAC Convention in 1993--Parrino was there with two full cases filled with these incredible coins.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    Tom, do you own any of these and btw nice to see you posting.
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    No First Strike label on that, I don't see what the fuss is about.
    Dan
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a page from Jay Parrino's The Mint advert he sent out quite a few years ago. Notice the 1793 Liberty Cap AU55, which sold this past February in Walter's sale for $632,500.
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

image >>

I guess it pays to "save your pennies"... image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much for thinking that I could ever have a nice Large Cent collection after seeing all of these great coins. Well, back to Moderns, I guess.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    That group photo is the coolest coin photo I've seen. Thanks!

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins in that photo are really really amazing and to realize such a great group of coins has been preserved for 200+ years really is a wonderment to me.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    IrishMike, I don't own any of the 1793s in the photo---I concentrated on the 1794 Large Cents and was able to buy several beauties, all ex. Naftzger, from 1993 to around 2002. After that, prices just got way out of hand.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>

<< <i>Where have I been, never knew this one existed till I stumbled across it today. Wonder who the lucky owner is?

imageimage

coinfacts >>

That's a great coin but I didn't think PCGS graded brown copper above 66. >>

that is where the lack of consistancy is laughable. They "needed" to grade it 69, otherwise it would end up in NGC's pop reports. Both services are willing to throw their standards out the window, as well as blatant net grading on the early stuff, to keep it in their own pop reports.
  • Options
    This one is still in the same holder, thank you! image

Well....PhotoShop can really be fun!image
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    You gotta doubt if it would ever be a 69 again (if broken out).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file