Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The official "I overpaid for this coin" thread.

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
Come on we have all done that at some point, yes.

So show us the coin you really overpaid for.

The one you really stretched.

Yeah the one you might be buried in.

Doesn't matter what denomination or the grade....only a coin you knowingly overpaid.

Here is mine: PCGS 65 .....27k plus. I bought it when Wall Street was alot different.

imageimage
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    27k. Okay. It's not something I can compare with.

Just to show that there are different degrees of overpaying...

Here is a Canadian $5 piece that I paid $350 for. I'm pretty sure that had I waited longer, I could have done better. However, I grew tired of waiting and liked the color of this piece. Yep, it's a beat-up baggy one. I don't think I overpaid quite to the degree of the original post.

I paid $1100 for this one. For me, it takes some time to work up to paying this much for a half eagle. Am I buried in it? I'd only know if I attempted to sell it. I don't ever want to sell this one, so i'll never know.
    I certainly know that this coin has had a history of burying other folks, unfortunately. Sometimes coins get into an overgraded holder and folks pay for it!

It's possible that I have overpaid slightly for most of the coins now residing my my Dansco 7070 album.

But $27k? Heck of a start to this thread. My post is meaningless in comparison.

I am constantly amazed at the spectrum of collecting and how broad that spectrum is.
    That is a VERY VERY nice half dollar. It's well beyond my monitary comprehension, but I like it! Sorry, but I cannot help to unbury you though.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buried in this one.

Paid 12 bucks and its only worth about 7 bucks

Ken
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    '

look at the bright side.

you could always be buried WITH it!

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Eight dollars. Buried, shallowly, by a coin made in China.

Also, a good example of 'spaghetti hair'.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    This coin is absolutely gorgeous in hand...I have yet to image it properly...I love it and don't plan to sell it, but yeah I probably overpaid...book + 100%...

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, this is an area that I try not to spend much time thinking about.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Yep it's good to forget about them.

On the bright side with some luck the next good deal can make up for it.

Ed
  • Options
    imageimage

Bought raw as MS-whatever, now in an NGC AU55 slab. Oh well, nice photo.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    That seated half is a gorgeous coin... there are much worse coins to be buried in.

john
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    what an intro with that gorgeous 1867 half

i've sold mine at a lost to get out of the grave

most wouldn't of paid what i did for this being it's "A.T." but i liked what i paid and it wasn't all that much besides it's pretty and my 1st true view coin

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that 1921 Peace Dollar, probably the best looking AU55 I've ever seen!! Would be happy with that one even if I paid low MS prices image

Awesome SLQ teddy!!!!!

For me, bought this one raw, part of my numismatic education as I definitely overpaid for it, but I still like it so I don't feel horrible about it:

Now, these and the 30 or so other First Spouse Coins I've bought over the past 2 years I have definitely overpaid for (at least until gold gets to $1200/oz +), but I like them for some unexplicable reason image:
  • Options

<< <i>I really like that 1921 Peace Dollar, probably the best looking AU55 I've ever seen!! Would be happy with that one even if I paid low MS prices >>

I bought it for the sharp strike, but I'll never get $388 for an AU55; people buy by the label these days.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what an intro with that gorgeous 1867 half

i've sold mine at a lost to get out of the grave

most wouldn't of paid what i did for this being it's "A.T." but i liked what i paid and it wasn't all that much besides it's pretty and my 1st true view coin

image >>

Nice slqimage

Stefanie
  • Options
    The year... 1995

The coin... 1995 Double Die

It's first coin I actually sought out to collect.

HAD to have one.

The owner of the local B+M tried to tell me I was wasting my money and guide me in another direction but I insisted.

Eventually plunked down $300.

Hated that coin from the first instant. Eventually bought five more for another $100.

Still have those coins. At an aveage cost of $66...

I might break even in 2095.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>imageimage

Bought raw as MS-whatever, now in an NGC AU55 slab. Oh well, nice photo. >>

Actually one of the nicer 21's I have seen too.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    I have a discomforting feeling that a lot of the choice USA coins that I have in my collection and bought in the last couple of years are going to sell for less when they go to auction this winter.image
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>Bought raw as MS-whatever, now in an NGC AU55 slab. Oh well, nice photo. >>

The 1st page of Photograde points out that "Certain attractive AU-55 coins could be worth as much as MS-63 coins"....If this Peace Dollar is as nice as the picture seems to show, this is a great example of that statement!!! Very nice.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry duplicate message.image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Given where the economy is headed, I’m probably buried in this, at least for a while. The 1808 quarter eagle is rarest of all type coins by a small margin over the 1796 No Stars quarter eagle, but I don’t know how well 6 figure coins sell these days. This coin is a green label PCGS AU-50. The estimated population in all grades, including the pieces that can't be slabbed is 125 to 160 pieces.

imageimage >>

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if I'm buried in this coin or not as I've never tried to sell it but I paid WAY WAY WAY over any list price for it. If I didn't pay it though, I wouldn't own it.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not wish to take up that much band space image
    I may check in periodically as most everything I own is "overpaid" for.
  • Options
    Bought this one maybe 10 months ago for $1,625. At the time, sheet had a VG at around $1,000 IIRC, and coin values, or one of those had it at just $900. So im not sure if I overpaid, or was just paranoid and anal about printed prices. Coin is a VG8 by the way, and is one of my pride and joy pieces.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...index fingers firmly in ears... lalalalalalalalalalalala

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine, what can I say, I got stupid at a auction and paid more than I should have.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Frankly, this is an area that I try not to spend much time thinking about. >>

If I'd have read the respondents to the OP's original post before posting the first time, I'd have just copied this with a hardy laugh and said.... I hear ya.
  • Options

<< <i>Given where the economy is headed, I’m probably buried in this, at least for a while. The 1808 quarter eagle is rarest of all type coins by a small margin over the 1796 No Stars quarter eagle, but I don’t know how well 6 figure coins sell these days. This coin is a green label PCGS AU-50. The estimated population in all grades, including the pieces that can't be slabbed is 125 to 160 pieces.

imageimage >>

>>

It's hard to imagine that you are buried in this no matter what you paid -
  • Options
    DoctorPaperDoctorPaper Posts: 616 ✭✭✭
    Saw this one missplaced in the "wrong category" on eBay while at work, wtih about 5 minutes left in the auction. Albany penny's are quite scarce and I didn't have time to access my colonial materials at home or have much time to do any on-line research because of the closing coming up so soon. The scalloped effect looked very appropriate for the type from what I could remember, and there was one of those sob-story writeup's about a naive daughter selling her poor dead Dad's life-long coin collection on Bay. There was even a picture of a Max Mehl envelope and card which came with the coin. So I took the plunge-not super high, $300's, but painful enough.

Coin arrived, and the font of the script was alll wrong, as was the doubling. Interestingly enough, the token was struck on an old corroded French copper, like a lot of the Albany's were. So I think this was meant to be a deceptive counterfeit. The Mehl card might even have been legitimate. I kept the coin as a reminder of my impetuous stupidity:
    Wisconsin nationals: gotta love 'em....
  • Options

I'm dead and buried in this one...

imageimage

but the coin does make me smile so I've got that going for me!

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a fun post. Some great stories here.

38-D in PCGS 64

I saw this one at the May Long Beach show in Bruce Braga's case. This thing just leaped out at me....you know how it can be, a busy bourse with all of those halogen lights....it really is a gorgeous toned Buff and under a halogen its lusterous colors explode (unlike my pic below that shows it in just indirect daylight). Anyways, I'd been looking for a really nicely toned Buff, and of course when you find any coin in a very common date/mint/grade, you figure you have a real shot at actually being able to afford the thing.

PCGS price guide shows this one currently at $46. Of course, greysheet will be well below that. Did I pay anywhere in the ballpark? Nope! In fact, I paid somewhere around what you would pay for a plain jane white 29-D in 64. image Buried baby and lovin' it! image

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I'm dead and buried in this one...

imageimage

but the coin does make me smile so I've got that going for me! >>

You have my sympathies...

not. image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm dead and buried in this one...

imageimage

but the coin does make me smile so I've got that going for me! >>

Damn, I don't know what you paid, but it that blows my 1795 Plain Edge cent away as a type coin. image

imageimage

BUT when I look at the other S-76B cents pictured in Noyes' book, I still like this one. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Given where the economy is headed, I’m probably buried in this, at least for a while. The 1808 quarter eagle is rarest of all type coins by a small margin over the 1796 No Stars quarter eagle, but I don’t know how well 6 figure coins sell these days. This coin is a green label PCGS AU-50. The estimated population in all grades, including the pieces that can't be slabbed is 125 to 160 pieces.

imageimage >>

>>

It's hard to imagine that you are buried in this no matter what you paid - >>

I mentioned this coin to the dealer from whom I bought it at the last Baltimore show. He told me that he could "almost" bail me out on it. The trouble is, if I ever get EVERY U.S. type coin, THIS coin is the one that would be the best example that I could afford. That's why I bought it. The "big bears" I don't have are the 1796-7 Draped Bust, small eagle half dollar and the 1796 No sSars quarter eagle.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No need for pictures,but I way overpaid for a set of NGC MS-66 Wisconsin high and low leaf quarters near the peak of the price spike.I could have flipped them immediately and made a small amount of money,but now would expect to lose $1000.00 or about 66%.You do the mathimage
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    My rational side said, "don't buy this you idiot, you can't afford it."
    My strong desire to acquire an original example of this date in this grade made me take the plunge. Let's just say it was not a bargain price by any means. At least I'm a happy idiot.

PCGS AU-50 23-s
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least I'm a happy idiot.

Nice SLQ!

"I'll be a happy idiot and struggle for the legal tender......." Great tune!

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No pics but...

Back in 2000 or 2001, I had just started collecting again after many years out of the hobby. I didn't know much about high end coins, only what I remembered from collecting as a kid. I saw an 1888 Liberty Nickel in proof 66 in an NGC slab at a coin shop in Nashville and became obsessed with the idea of owning a coin I considered at the time to be close to perfection. I naively focused too much on the number on the slab and not enough on the coin. I think I paid $1,200 for it. After a while, I learned that I paid way too much and eventually sold it at a loss. But I also learned that a 66 doesn't always mean close to perfection. I tend to shy away from grades higher than 65 now...in fact, in most cases I consider the optimum grade to be 58 or 64.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    that 1921 peace in MS65 is amazing, if I had the money I would have overpaid for it too!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Not in my hands yet, and I know I paid too much for it. But I think it's gonna be real nice. I may as well add the other one too...Pics are Heritages.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file