Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Block this eBay bidder: me2mike_123 UPDATE: 9/3 Problem Resolved

Block this eBay bidder: me2mike_123

Guy buys two coins out of my eBay store, pays with an e-check. Two days later he cancels the payment, no contact, no explanation, and now doesn't reply to e-mails.

And the beauty is that I can't neg him. image Gotta love eBay. image

<< <i>Dear Laurence Galbraith,

This email confirms that Michael Hargett has cancelled the pending $261.98 USD payment earlier sent to you.

Amount: $261.98 USD >>

Edited to add the following screen shots:

Payment received

Cancellation of e-check received. Note date & time. Note e-mail address. Note "WHO" cancelled the payment per the paypal e-mail.

My reply sent to buyer 4 minutes after cancellation notice received. Note date & time and note e-mail address.

Reply by buyer received over 12 hours later, while on the phone with whom I will assume was 19lyds. Note that this is not a NEW e-mail sent to me, but rather an actual reply to the e-mail I sent to him advising of the cancelled payment and requesting status of a new payment method.

Therefore, it was quite obvious, by these substantiated e-mail screenshots, that the buyer received my e-mail and chose to ignore it all day until he was contacted by a number of board members via e-mail and telephone. It actually took persuasion from a number of board members to get this guy to simply reply to my e-mail request regarding the cancelled e-check.

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    At least report him to eBay. Thanks for the heads up.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    Did you send out the coins?
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to file the UPI. It's the only way we can get these idiots off eBay.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Just because he changed his mind is no reason to block him. Something could have come up which required the funds elsewhere. Emails would have been nice though.

I'd just file a NPB and get my FVF fees returned.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Something could have come up which required the funds elsewhere. >>

Yeah, maybe it's the over 200 auctions he's won in the last month.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Just because he changed his mind is no reason to block him. >>

IMHO, it's an excellent reason to block him. People who change their minds after making a binding contract are deadbeats who need to be banned from eBay plain and simple. If you want to back out of a deal, at least give me a reason or an explanation. Don't be a d-bag and cancel without a reason.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

IMHO, it's an excellent reason to block him. People who change their minds after making a binding contract are deadbeats who need to be banned from eBay plain and simple. If you want to back out of a deal, at least give me a reason or an explanation. Don't be a d-bag and cancel without a reason. >>

image -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blocked... and thanks for the warning.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>

IMHO, it's an excellent reason to block him. People who change their minds after making a binding contract are deadbeats who need to be banned from eBay plain and simple. If you want to back out of a deal, at least give me a reason or an explanation. Don't be a d-bag and cancel without a reason. >>

I just love it when you folks use the term "binding contract" as if you actually have some legal recourse! image

No dates have been given with regard to this transaction so you really have no clue as to how much time has transpired over the cancelled echeck.

Sure, it's irritating when folks decide to not complete a transaction but until the seller hears from the buyer, it's all just presumption that the guy is a deadbeat.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I just love it when you folks use the term "binding contract" as if you actually have some legal recourse! >>

From eBay: "Most of the items on eBay are auction-like listings and each bid is a binding contract to buy if you win." Here's the link to the page: click me.

Now, I'm not saying it's a binding contract that people actually go to court over, but they could. That part you cannot argue.

What I suppose you can argue is when then non-paying bidder becomes a deadbeat. I think it's right about the time he cancels his e-check without explanation. Is it the sellers fault if they buyer over extended himself with too many purchases? Of course not. The buyer needs to be removed from eBay if he can't play by the rules. It's quite simple really.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just love it when you folks use the term "binding contract" as if you actually have some legal recourse! >>

From eBay: "Most of the items on eBay are auction-like listings and each bid is a binding contract to buy if you win." Here's the link to the page: click me.

Now, I'm not saying it's a binding contract that people actually go to court over, but they could. That part you cannot argue.

What I suppose you can argue is when then non-paying bidder becomes a deadbeat. I think it's right about the time he cancels his e-check without explanation. Is it the sellers fault if they buyer over extended himself with too many purchases? Of course not. The buyer needs to be removed from eBay if he can't play by the rules. It's quite simple really. >>

It must be nice to be able to judge and convict with only half the story.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    VamGuyVamGuy Posts: 1,624

<< <i>Did you send out the coins? >>

Oh Hell no. This ain't my first rodeo. image

<< <i>Don't forget to file the UPI. It's the only way we can get these idiots off eBay. >>

Gotta wait a few more days but I assure you it will happen.

Actually, that's the EXACT reason to block him.

...and since we have no legal recourse, which you obviously find amusing, our only action as business owners IS TO BLOCK HIM.

<< <i>Sure, it's irritating when folks decide to not complete a transaction >>

It's not irritating. You are irritating. It's costing me time and money in my full time business that pays my bills, keeps a roof over my head, and feeds me. I honestly can't comprehend your basis for defending this persons actions.

<< <i>...but until the seller hears from the buyer, it's all just presumption that the guy is a deadbeat. >>

That's not a presumption. A presumption would be to say something like "until", rather than "unless". By saying "until", you obviously "presume" that I'll be hearing from the buyer. And it is the exact definition of a deadbeat. In fact it's worse, a deadbeat doesn't pay at all, this guy paid, and then cancelled the payment. Do you understand? He CANCELLED the E-check payment. That's no different than cancelling a check you write to somebody for goods and/or services.
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the heads up...this joker has been blocked
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    Are these the items?

Item 1 Item 2

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    me2mike_123 - blocked
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks for the heads up...this joker has been blocked >>

image Blocked here too. Thanks for the heads-up.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options

<< <i>Block this eBay bidder: me2mike_123

Guy buys two coins out of my eBay store, pays with an e-check. Two days later he cancels the payment, no contact, no explanation, and now doesn't reply to e-mails.

This email confirms that Some Jerk has cancelled the pending $261.98 USD payment earlier sent to you.

>>

This is about eBay but not your point made here. I've blocked this fellow.

What I want to know is why your auctions (the eBay part, not the part you make in the ad) look different than mine. The format is completely different.
    It doesn't even list the winning bidder that I can see. It is totally different than my auctions. I've only been a PowerSeller for 2-3 months, but my auctions don't look like yours. Is there somewhere I need to opt in to have them look like yours?

Thanks for any input.

Jonathan

Edit to add: Is it because you use the Store Format?
    Edit to add: Now MINE looks like that as well. Doh!~
    Thanks for looking, nothing to see here. Move along.

But where do you look to see the high bidder's name now?
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Just because he changed his mind is no reason to block him. >> >>

I think changing your mind does mean you should be blocked but it sounds like this buyer changed his mind with no communication or reason. The lack of communication wold justify being blocked for me. People have to communicate, period.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>

I think changing your mind does mean you should be blocked but it sounds like this buyer changed his mind with no communication or reason. The lack of communication wold justify being blocked for me. People have to communicate, period. >>

Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • Options

<< <i>

I think changing your mind does mean you should be blocked but it sounds like this buyer changed his mind with no communication or reason. The lack of communication wold justify being blocked for me. People have to communicate, period. >>

I agree with the communication but it has only been 4 days!

There can be any number of reasons for no communication. If the seller wants to block this fellow then he can certainly do that but to come onto the forums and ask EVERYBODY to block him is a little silly especially since he has not heard from this fellow. Maybe his IP is down? Maybe he's in the area affected by the hurricane? Maybe his work station crashed right after he cancelled the e-check? Since there IS not communication, I just find it a bit irrational to automatically assume the worst.

Talk about lynch mob mentality............

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Block this eBay bidder: me2mike_123

This email confirms that Some Jerk has cancelled the pending $261.98 USD payment earlier sent to you.

>>

This is about eBay but not your point made here. I've blocked this fellow.

What I want to know is why your auctions (the eBay part, not the part you make in the ad) look different than mine. The format is completely different.
    It doesn't even list the winning bidder that I can see. It is totally different than my auctions. I've only been a PowerSeller for 2-3 months, but my auctions don't look like yours. Is there somewhere I need to opt in to have them look like yours?

Thanks for any input.

Jonathan

Edit to add: Is it because you use the Store Format?
    Edit to add: Now MINE looks like that as well. Doh!~
    Thanks for looking, nothing to see here. Move along.

But where do you look to see the high bidder's name now? >>

AlixTCat: It looks different because it was an eBay Store BIN item.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the slime ball has been blocked ....

Actually he bid on 236 items in the last 30 days ...

Now that's what I call a compulsive bidder..
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the slime ball has been blocked ....

Actually he bid on 236 items in the last 30 days ...

Now that's what I call a compulsive bidder.. >>

One wonders, just how many of those transactions were in fact completed? How will you know? Buyers never do anything wrong in the new eBay. No negative feedback = be an idiot and get away with it.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i>

What I suppose you can argue is when then non-paying bidder becomes a deadbeat. I think it's right about the time he cancels his e-check without explanation. Is it the sellers fault if they buyer over extended himself with too many purchases? Of course not. The buyer needs to be removed from eBay if he can't play by the rules. It's quite simple really. >>

It must be nice to be able to judge and convict with only half the story. >>

Go getem Lee. I agree with you. I just love the term DEADBEATS AND IDIOTS. I pray for people that think they can judge someone behind a puter. Come on guys relax, someone else will buy your stuff. JMO..image
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Guys please tell me why ebay put the newer feature in of a seller not being able to give a bidder negative feedback?

Makes no sense to me at all. I used to ebay a lot but have not and recently got back into it, I found out about this. Whats the point on doing that?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with the communication but it has only been 4 days!

...Maybe his IP is down? Maybe he's in the area affected by the hurricane? Maybe his work station crashed right after he cancelled the e-check? Since there IS not communication, I just find it a bit irrational to automatically assume the worst.

Talk about lynch mob mentality............ >>

Item number:270269393842 me2mike_123( 69) US $19.16 Sep-02-08 09:18:32 PDT
    Item number: 110282671728 me2mike_123( 69) US $22.99 1 Sep-02-08 10:25:07 PDT

Based on the fact that he's bidding on, and buying, other coins today, I think we can crush the "no IP, no internet, he died in a hurricane" scenario. Does the defense rest yet?

<< <i>"people that think they can judge someone behind a puter. Come on guys relax, someone else will buy your stuff." >>

First of all, at no point did I "judge" this person. Everything I've posted is based in fact. And it isn't about "selling my stuff". I'm running a business. This isn't my part time hobby, it's my full time livelihood. The dude put a stop payment on a check. Don't you get that? And what if I had shipped those coins before the e-check cleared? Would it be a problem then?

What part of any of this would YOU not have a problem with if it was YOUR STUFF? Seriously.

It totally blows my mind that there are people here defending this person's actions.

Allow me to simplify this for the simple...

This person agreed to purchase two coins by using the BUY IT NOW link.

This person paid for the two coins with a check.

This person put a stop payment on the check.

This person has not contacted my in any way with an explanation.

This person has not replied to my written e-mail request for an explanation.

What part of this is justifiable or acceptable to any person with an IQ above room temperature???

• Options

<< <i>Item number:270269393842 me2mike_123( 69) US $19.16 Sep-02-08 09:18:32 PDT
    Item number: 110282671728 me2mike_123( 69) US $22.99 1 Sep-02-08 10:25:07 PDT

Based on the fact that he's bidding on, and buying, other coins today, I think we can crush the "no IP, no internet, he died in a hurricane" scenario. Does the defense rest yet? >>

Well this certainly does not look good but it does say something! The user has been an eBay member since Feb, 2008 and has only 69 feedback. All since August 16th with nothing prior to that! All positive feedbacks with absolutely 0 positive/negative's. As a matter of fact, almost all of them are:

"Quick payment AAA+ thanks!"
    "Fast payment, good communications, good eBuyer"
    "Why can't all eBayers be this great? A++++ eBay@USACoinShop.com"

Perhaps something else is occuring here?

<< <i>First of all, at no point did I "judge" this person. >>

Yes you did. You want folks on the forums to block this bidder when he has not defended his actions for whatever reason.

<< <i>Everything I've posted is based in fact. And it isn't about "selling my stuff". I'm running a business. This isn't my part time hobby, it's my full time livelihood. The dude put a stop payment on a check. Don't you get that? >>

Yeah, I get it. You'll file your NPB, get your FVF fee's returned and lose the .05 cents it cost you to list each of these!

<< <i>And what if I had shipped those coins before the e-check cleared? Would it be a problem then? >>

This would have been a completely different subject!

<< <i>What part of any of this would YOU not have a problem with if it was YOUR STUFF? Seriously. >>

Seriously, I would have filed the NPB after I failed to get response to my emails in a reasonable amount of time. 4 Days just isn't enough time. Especially to call for a global blocking party! I'd then get my FVF fee's back, relist the items and then move on.

<< <i>It totally blows my mind that there are people here defending this person's actions. >>

I am not defending his actions. I'm just questioning the reasoning behind black-balling this fellow because he changed his mind as I don't have a problem with people changing their minds. I also have a problem with this attitude of the quick eBay blocking when this fellow has not had the opportunity to defend himself or what may be occurring here!

<< <i>Allow me to simplify this for the simple...
    This person agreed to purchase two coins by using the BUY IT NOW link.
    This person paid for the two coins with a(n e)check.
    This person put a stop payment on the (e)check.
    This person has not contacted my in any way with an explanation.
    This person has not replied to my written e-mail request for an explanation.

What part of this is justifiable or acceptable to any person with an IQ above room temperature??? >>

First off, it still has only been 4 days. eBay even has longer limits. Perhaps his email will come and maybe it won't. Maybe he hasn't received your emails, I don't know.
    Computers are funny things. Even Paypal has problems with their email system!

As a seller, I cut the buyer every possible bit of slack I can because I know that computers, eBay and PayPal can go south in a New York minute and then it takes a week to get everything figured out!

Again, my perspective is to continue to send emails to the buyer requesting how he plans on paying for the two items he purchased. If after 7 days, you get no response, then file the NPB.

Who knows, maybe he changed his mind on how he will pay for these items?

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Guys please tell me why ebay put the newer feature in of a seller not being able to give a bidder negative feedback? >>

Because of sellers like this one.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>and has only 69 feedback. All since August 16th with nothing prior to that! All positive feedbacks with absolutely 0 positive/negative's. >>

Feedback is rather meaningless for buyers now.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Guys please tell me why ebay put the newer feature in of a seller not being able to give a bidder negative feedback? >>

Because of sellers like this one.

Russ, NCNE >>

Now, that's one happy ebayer image -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    There was a time when I would look at a buyer's 100% feedback and give them the benefit of the doubt until proven guilty. Now of course it means nothing, so it's much harder to spot the deadbeats.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>and has only 69 feedback. All since August 16th with nothing prior to that! All positive feedbacks with absolutely 0 positive/negative's. >>

Feedback is rather meaningless for buyers now.

Russ, NCNE >>

So tell me Russ, what would you do with regard to this transaction if it had been with your account and only 4 days had elapsed?

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>So tell me Russ, what would you do with regard to this transaction if it had been with your account and only 4 days had elapsed? >>

Since he cancelled the eCheck, and has won over 200 auctions in the last 30 days it's obvious to me that he has no legitimate reason for backing out. He did so because he's over-extended himself. He's a headache waiting to happen, and an automatic block. In fact, I'd bet VamGuy isn't the only one he did it to and, if the other sellers file their UPI's, this buyer will be going bye bye.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the slime ball has been blocked .... Actually he bid on 236 items in the last 30 days ... Now that's what I call a compulsive bidder.. >>

The "slime ball" is welcome to bid on my auctions. Anybody on a buying spree is welcome to shop at my place. --Jerry
  • Options
    New totals for me2mike_123 ...

He has either won or made BIN on 227 auctions since 8/14 .... (26 since 8/31)
    A lot of "bleeding heart" sellers gonna be sorry .....
  • Options
    Any buyer who cancels a payment or files a PayPal dispute without contacting me or replying to my emails gets blocked. If you don't want to talk to me about a problem you're having with this transaction, I don't have any interest in enabling you to initiate any future transactions.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>New totals for me2mike_123 ... He has either won or made BIN on 227 auctions since 8/14 .... (26 since 8/31) A lot of "bleeding heart" sellers gonna be sorry ..... >>

Sorry for what? Suppose he completes 50% of the transactions. I'd love to have $1M in sales this month that I only complete 50% of. Anything that isnt completed you get your fees back. The only thing you can't get back is the worry you put into it, so I don't do that.

I'd also say it is likely that if he were to buy something from me right now there is a 95% chance he would complete. A lot of "problem buyers" have quietly bought things from me, paid immediately, and moved on...

--Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>The "slime ball" is welcome to bid on my auctions. Anybody on a buying spree is welcome to shop at my place. --Jerry >>

I'm sure he'd be more than happy to oblidge ... please email him & tell him to "come and get it."

Russ is 100% correct ... a lot of sellers are not going to be happy.......I'm going to keep an eye on this buyer to see how long it takes for eBay to NARU him...
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up, blocked, if he had time to click cancel he had time to offer an explanation, unless you wanna bame it on Gustav...
  • Options

<< <i>AlixTCat: It looks different because it was an eBay Store BIN item. >>

Actually my BIN's all look this way now. But where do you see the high bidder's name.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>AlixTCat: It looks different because it was an eBay Store BIN item. >>

Actually my BIN's all look this way now. But where do you see the high bidder's name.

Jonathan >>

click on the "Advanced Search" button (next to Search)
    click on the "Items by bidder" on the left side

The rest is self explanatory
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't forget to file the UPI. It's the only way we can get these idiots off eBay.

Russ, NCNE >>

I don't think they're NARUing NPB anymore.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Are these the items?

Item 1 Item 2 >>

They are indeed. >>

Holy smokes, I'm actually watching a few of your store items.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    After reading everything, I have to say I agree with you and he'll be blocked. There have been a few times over the years when people won our auctions, waited a couple days, didn't pay, then asked if they could get out of it. And we let them off it with no problems, no blocking, no feedback, no nothing. We file the NPB and get the FVF back and relist. It's called being civil and having some communication skills. Cancelling an echeck without any communication before or after is just not right. There's enough good buyers on eBay; I'd just as soon know about this one and not take the chance down the road.

Edited because I hate making typos.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options

<< <i><< Don't forget to file the UPI. It's the only way we can get these idiots off eBay.

Russ, NCNE >>

I don't think they're NARUing NPB anymore. >>

Really?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><< Don't forget to file the UPI. It's the only way we can get these idiots off eBay.

Russ, NCNE >>

I don't think they're NARUing NPB anymore. >>

Really?

Russ, NCNE >>

I'm glad to see that. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I didn't even know one could cancel an echeck. A few years ago I think you couldn't.

I agree with both sides here, I would normally wait 7 days for communication but canceling an E-Check is the same as
    putting a stop payment on a check and with no communication I'd block the guy too.

I just wouldn't expect others to follow suit.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't even know one could cancel an echeck. A few years ago I think you couldn't.

I agree with both sides here, I would normally wait 7 days for communication but canceling an E-Check is the same as
    putting a stop payment on a check and with no communication I'd block the guy too.

I just wouldn't expect others to follow suit.

Steve >>

I've posted that question to PayPal.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file