Home U.S. Coin Forum

On August 28th, First Spouse Jackson's Liberty ½ oz. Gold Coins go on sale at the Mint..whos's buyin

Comments

• claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody know the issue prices?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Lets have some guesses on the issue price.
    I'm guessing $599 for the uncs and $619 for the Proofs.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I have a 70 proof and 70 uncirculated Jefferson but will not go for any others. I sold all of my Washingtons .
  • nope. Fractional Buffs this time around.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • I Think prices are going lower. $ 519.00 proof----495.00 Unc.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I guessed in the other thread on this topic, same as the Dolley Madison coin

$509.95 for the unc
    $529.95 for the proof
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I forecast no one day sellout like the Jefferson Liberties. image
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    OK , They just posted the Jackson spouse info...$620 for proof...$600 for Unc. The mintage 40,000 total together ,proof & unc....10 coin limit per option, first week.
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    at that premium.......no way Jose. I love the design, but the mint has completely lost credibility on their pricing. imho.
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    They must SUSPECT that there will not be a sell out. The purchase limit is 10 per
    coming out the door. This seems to be a first...
  • Can't they do a bit better job on Andy's eyes???????

For God's sake, he looks stoned out
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the design, but to rich for my blood.

Robert.
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    August 21, 2008

Andrew Jackson’s Liberty First Spouse Gold Coin and Medal Available August 28

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint will begin accepting orders for Andrew Jackson's Liberty First Spouse Coin on August 28 at noon Eastern Time. The 24-karat gold coins will be available in 1/2-ounce proof and uncirculated versions priced at $619.95 and $599.95, respectively. Mintage is set at 40,000 across both product options. Customer demand will determine the ratio of proof to uncirculated coins produced.

The Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2005 contains a provision for the continuity of the First Spouse Coin Program in the event that a President served without a spouse. The provision calls for a gold coin to be issued bearing an obverse design emblematic of Liberty as represented on a United States coin issued during the President's period of service and a reverse image emblematic of themes of that President. This provision applies to Andrew Jackson, who was widowed shortly before he took office.

The image selected for the obverse of the Andrew Jackson's Liberty First Spouse Gold Coin is a reproduction of the Capped Bust, Lettered Edge Half-Dollar minted from 1807 to 1836. The image was designed by United States Mint Engraver John Reich (1768-1833). Inscriptions on the obverse are "In God We Trust," "2008" and "1829-1837," the years Jackson served as President.

The reverse of Jackson's Liberty First Spouse Gold Coin is emblazoned with an image of "Old Hickory," a war hero who led a force of approximately 4,000 troops against the British Army at the battle of New Orleans. The coin was designed by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program Master Designer Justin Kunz and sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Don Everhart. Inscriptions on the reverse are "United States of America," "E Pluribus Unum," "$10," "1/2 oz." and ".9999 Fine Gold."

To view or download an image of the Jackson's Liberty First Spouse Gold Coin, go to: http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?action=Photo#2008Spouse.

Bronze medals bearing the likeness of the coin also will be available for $3.50. There is no mintage or order limit for this option.

Orders for Andrew Jackson's Liberty First Spouse Gold Coin will be limited to 10 per product option per household for the first week of sales. The United States Mint will reevaluate this limit following the initial sales period and either extend, adjust or eliminate it.

The United States Mint will accept orders for the Jackson's Liberty First Spouse Gold Coin and Medal at www.usmint.gov, or at the United States Mint's toll-free number, 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). A shipping and handling fee of $4.95 will be applied to all domestic orders.

Note: To ensure that all members of the public have fair and equal access to United States Mint products, orders placed prior to the official on-sale date and time of noon Eastern Time August 28, 2008, shall not be deemed accepted by the United States Mint and will not be honored.

Mint Link
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may purchase a raw one on the secondary market when gold drops to $400. Shouldn't this thread be in the PM section image ?
  • I wanted one for a Liberty set. Not at $620. I'll wait as well.
  • Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
    I will gladly pay 35% over spot for these on the secondary market (or $550 each) if anyone wants to lock in a deal now. image I too agree that these are way overpriced relative to their bullion value. I know people will argue that these are special collector coins, but at current time these are nothing more than bullion in the after market with $410 in gold in each of them at current spot prices.
  • tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    50% over spot?

greedy!
  • I am building () subsets. One is mine to keep and the other for future sale.

The 4 coin boxes the mint sold that are no longer available was for all unc or proofs to fit in one box.

I wonder why did they make them and then sellout??

I think they should make a box for each year and put the year on the box.

If not then they should continue to make these boxes for each year and keep them the same throughout the program.

Who keeps their coins in all these different boxes anyway?/Before grading, I had all these spouse coins in their respective boxes inside mint shipping boxes in a bank deposit box.

They took up a tremendous amount of space.

Now they are all slabbed and in one PCGS box.

I have my Washington and Adams in NGC holders.

That was before I got hip to using PCGS for grading only.

It is good to standardize a method for storing your coins.

I have many.

The oldest which are silver from circulation are in tubes, bags, etc,.

I need to inventory them all.

I can't believe how much space is now available for more coins in my box.

I am keeping all of the original boxes from everything.

I figure they will be worth $$ something to someone in the future.

We all know its the coins we admire. Not the box.

Ships are safe in harbor but thats not what ships were built for.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Oh, well. Buying one.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK , They just posted the Jackson spouse info...$620 for proof...$600 for Unc. The mintage 40,000 total together ,proof & unc....10 coin limit per option, first week. >>

At that price .. not me ... I don't buy ungraded bullion at 50% above spot.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • The Jackson proof price is the same as the buffalo proof, but the Jackson uncirc is much more ($599 vs $539).
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting one of each to keep the collection going.

Only problem is this one will be FS, but Louisa won't be because of the stupid PCGS FS policy changes.

You all will be buying when gold exceeds $1100 in the next year or so.
  • I wanted a set of both to continue toward completing the 4 coin "Liberty" subset....but I am not payong $1200 for an ounce of gold.....will wait and see what they are selling for 3-6 months from now.

I am sorry.....but IMHO 50% markup on today's gold spot is just too much....

RAH

<< <i>I wanted a set of both to continue toward completing the 4 coin "Liberty" subset....but I am not payong $1200 for an ounce of gold.....will wait and see what they are selling for 3-6 months from now.

I am sorry.....but IMHO 50% markup on today's gold spot is just too much....

RAH >>

Agree with your logic.....but, I just may fall for the First Strike hype on a proof Liberty!!!!

<< <i>The 4 coin boxes the mint sold that are no longer available was for all unc or proofs to fit in one box.

I wonder why did they make them and then sellout??

I think they should make a box for each year and put the year on the box.

If not then they should continue to make these boxes for each year and keep them the same throughout the program. >>

It is my understanding that the four coin boxes were discontinued because the 2008 coins have larger capsules than the 2007 coins. Accordingly, the 2008 coins will not fit in the boxes. I don't feel the 2008 capsules are any improvement over the 2007 capsules and actually prefer the 2007 versions. No idea why they changed them up and no idea why they wouldn't keep the same size???

<< <i>I figure they will be worth $$ something to someone in the future. >>

Well I'm buying 2 of each version (building 2 complete sets). I figure worst case they're worth 1/2 ounce of gold each... and very worst case scenario, they'll always be worth $10 face image

As many of the others have stated, a 50% premium over spot is excessive. Apparently the mint knows that gold will be going up soon (they would know more than I would).

For those saying they'll just buy for closer to spot on eBay... I'm wondering who is going to sell them to you???? I doubt people will buy at full mint price and sell at a discount any time soon... it's not like the first 3 releases of these that sold out fast at prices near today's spot prices. I understand why many Washington, Abigail Adams and Jefferson Liberty coins can be found near spot or close to spot since that is close to their issue prices. Not sure whether many Monroe's or Louisa Adams' coins are going for spot now though as the sellers would be taking a big loss.

Anyways, glad they got rid of the 1 per person limit. Now I can place my order for 2 of each immediately w/o fear of a sellout and w/o incurring an additional $4.95 shipping charge!!! For some reason $4.95 seems like no big deal when paying 50% + spot for these ladies... image Oh well...
    From the Mint Website..........

Proof

This marks the second year of the First Spouse Gold Coin Series, the United States Mint’s first coin series to feature our Nation’s First Spouses.

Four one-half ounce, $10 24-karat Gold First Spouse Coins will be minted and released annually in the order the spouses served in the White House. The coins are minted in proof and uncirculated condition and are available individually. Each First Spouse Gold Coin coincides with the release of the corresponding circulating Presidential $1 Coin. In 2008, the United States Mint will release the second four coins in the series which includes Elizabeth Monroe, Louisa Adams, Andrew Jackson’s Liberty and Martin Van Buren’s Liberty.

Jackson’s Liberty: The obverse, designed by United States Mint Engraver John Reich, is a reproduction of the Capped Bust, Lettered Edge Half Dollar obverse coin design minted in the early 1800s. The reverse, designed by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program Master Designer Justin Kunz and sculpted by United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Don Everhart, features President Andrew Jackson as the war hero “Old Hickory,” who led a force of approximately 4,000 troops against the British Army at the Battle of New Orleans.

First Spouse Gold Proof Coins are available in limited mintages. Each First Spouse One-Half Ounce Gold Proof Coin is encapsulated and packaged in a custom-designed, highly polished, dome-chested lacquered hardwood presentation case and accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity signed by the Director of the United States Mint.

Jackson’s Liberty Coin Maximum Mintage: 40,000 total across all product options. The ratio of proof coins to uncirculated coins will be determined by customer demand within the total maximum issuance of 40,000.

A limit of ten coins per product option per household is in effect for the first week of this product’s release. At the end of this period, the United States Mint will reevaluate this limit and either extend, adjust or remove it.

If paying by credit card, please be sure your credit card information remains current to avoid any delays in processing your order. If your credit card has expired by the time of shipment, your order will be cancelled. To update credit card information after an order has been placed, you must call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468).

To ensure that all members of the public have fair and equal access to United States Mint products, any order placed prior to the official on-sale date and time (August 28, 2008, 12:00 Noon ET) shall not be deemed accepted by the United States Mint and will not be honored.

Unc
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    the mint has some set to release these at these prices! gold has been under $900 for how long now? c'mon give me a break.(just venting) i bet the saint will be $1499 IMO. once agian taking advantage of the collector.
    figglehorn
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I think I will just buy the Jackson bronze medal. It looks pretty nice and you can't beat the price.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I was going to get some to go with my 70unc and proof 70 Jefferson but not at those prices. That's nuts, in fact I will probably sell my 70's of Jefferson now.
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Maybe after a couple days they will lower the BIN and do a Best Offer.........................image

<< <i>I think I will just buy the Jackson bronze medal. It looks pretty nice and you can't beat the price. >>

$3.50
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I'll pass, you can have mine!
  • Not for me anymore, i was interested at first. The series don't seem to be collecter freindly, from the prices at the US mint, nor from the time you try to sell! There losers, in my book!
    SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!

<< <i>Not for me anymore, i was interested at first. The series don't seem to be collecter freindly, from the prices at the US mint, nor from the time you try to sell! There losers, in my book! >>

***SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!***

Now that's a bunch of BULL!!!!! image

GB
    I thnk I'm having second thoughts on this coin.

I just checked back on my Jefferson Liberty, and she cost me $430.

This Jackson Spouse will be $620.....that's 44% more than the Jefferson!!! image
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I'd like a pair of PCGS FS 70's

If the USM is on the ball, and ships quick, they can be back from PCGS and returned if under 30 days and dont make 70!
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thnk I'm having second thoughts on this coin.

This Jackson Spouse will be $620.....that's 44% more than the Jefferson!!! image >>

Yo, tambien. I had decided to collect the "short set" of liberties, but no longer feel that way. I also thought this issue would for sure be a sellout, but I don't think so anymore. I do think it will beat Louisa Adams and Monroe, but fall short of 40,000.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

This Jackson Spouse will be $620.....that's 44% more than the Jefferson!!! image >>

i will buy the medal, too, it's almost as purdy and just a wee bit less strain on my man-purse.

i am really dissapointed at the high mint price.

<< <i>

i will buy the medal, too, it's almost as purdy and just a wee bit less strain on my man-purse.

i am really dissapointed at the high mint price. >>

• I’m going to continue to collect one coin each of the subset in addition to the Jackie O and the Clinton unless I run out of money. However, I have never made money on a coin except when the spot prices go up. With this in mind, I would advise all to stay away from the spouses, if you must have one, wait for Ebay. image
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin, but I'm tapped, too. I predict a sellout, however, so I hope to pick it up closer to spot on the secondary market.image >>

Same for me.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>I’m going to continue to collect one coin each of the subset in addition to the Jackie O and the Clinton unless I run out of money. >>

Do you really think Bill Clinton is going to die within the next 8 years??? He would have to for Hillary to get a First Spouse coin.

<< <i>

<< <i>I’m going to continue to collect one coin each of the subset in addition to the Jackie O and the Clinton unless I run out of money. >>

Do you really think Bill Clinton is going to die within the next 8 years??? He would have to for Hillary to get a First Spouse coin. >>

He's dead, she's alive.....she can still see her own First Spouse Gold coin????

That seems strange to me.

Damn, I hope she has a nice pants suit picked out!!!! image

<< <i>

<< <i>

Do you really think Bill Clinton is going to die within the next 8 years??? He would have to for Hillary to get a First Spouse coin. >>

He's dead, she's alive.....she can still see her own First Spouse Gold coin????

That seems strange to me.

>>

Seems strange to me too, but the way the law that set the program up is written, a First Spouse coin will be issued for each presidential dollar issued. In order for the prez buck to be issued, the prez must be dead (i think at least a year before the issue date).

So right now, Ronald Reagan wil have a prez buck and Nancy Reagan will have a First Spouse coin (whether she is still then living or not). Same would go for the Carter's, both Bush families and the Clinton's should one of those former presidents pass before about 2015-2016 or so. They could always revise the law of course too...
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else noticed that the "ship by" date on the spouse coins has been slipping. As each day passes, the ship date also slips. Now, it's up to September 19th.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NN reports, that as of 9/2
    Jackson First Spouse totals are 3,159 proof and 1,935 uncirculated sold.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I am disappointed the the mint seems to have an exploitative attitude about these. They will not lower the price to follow the bullion value and they will not discontinue sales even after they dry up. Seems very unfriendly to the loyal customer.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>I am disappointed the the mint seems to have an exploitative attitude about these. They will not lower the price to follow the bullion value and they will not discontinue sales even after they dry up. Seems very unfriendly to the loyal customer. >>

image oh, and #100

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file