Home U.S. Coin Forum

On August 28th, First Spouse Jackson's Liberty ½ oz. Gold Coins go on sale at the Mint..whos's buyin

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm a buyer here, these coins are gorgeous and nostalgic!!!!!!!! image

Comments

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I hope gold stays down. I'm waiting to see the price but love these retro coins.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    What? This was not on my radar.

Unfortunately, having a set of 2006 SF Mint coins...the ones with the morgan/half eagle reverse...I apparently like these classic regurgitations.

Ack. Need more cash.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm buying one unc.

Another question should be will it sell out? In light of the recent "ladies" not even coming close to selling out, will the (2) Liberty's sell 20,000 pieces in each finish?

Ren
  • rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    The mint needs to SLOW DOWN. I do like the look of that, but I am not sure if I will be able to grab one or not at least at the issue date.

Edited to add, I guess I COULD use my cash back money that will be available in September to buy one off the bay. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

<< <i>I'm buying one unc.

Another question should be will it sell out? In light of the recent "ladies" not even coming close to selling out, will the (2) Liberty's sell 20,000 pieces in each finish?

Ren >>

It depends on the price, if they price them like the present buffs and eagles then it will be a hard sell. When these were started they were $429 each and now over $600. I think many of us will be buying the short set of these if they're not to expensive but like most I hate the series.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were priced close to $400, I would.
    At the current levels, no thank you.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

I put off buy the gold buff until I see the price on this piece.
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    maybe one or two
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Would be cool, but the mint just got a bunch of my money on some platinum material.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    I will not only for the obverse, but I can't imagine too many other Presidental Spousal coins featuring a horse (with Commander in chief). Now if it was a roman coin with say Caligula....
  • CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    I bought the Jeffersons for the obverse, so might go for this one, too. But Mint pricing lately scares me.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought the Jeffersons for the obverse, so might go for this one, too. But Mint pricing lately scares me. >>

• Can't. 2009 UHR in the sights for now.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    I'm in. I like the coin's design.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • JoflaxJoflax Posts: 979
    Great coin but not at current prices,
    Hopefully they will lower prices on these and the 08 plats and be realistic about the UHR ...only then will they take a bite out of my savings
    Buy the dips!!!
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin, but I'm tapped, too. I predict a sellout, however, so I hope to pick it up closer to spot on the secondary market.

Also, I don't appreciate how Jackson treated Davy Crockett! image
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Pass,

I chose the buffalo gold set over this. Too many products so little funds.
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I do know.... I would definitely buy one of these before I would buy one of the lousy designs they have in mind for the 2009 platinum proofs........
    ----- kj
  • What date are they coming on sale
  • August 28th

Yes, I am buying both the proof and uncirculated.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many products so little funds.

This does seem to be a recurring theme. Edmund? You here? You listening, at all?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    working on the set of retro coins, so I am in
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    I will probably wait and get one on eBay so I can get a first strike holder to match the Jefferson I have.
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    image If the mint lowers price. Otherwise, I will pick one/two up elsewhere............ image
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of 2oz. a year of pure gold. And this looks like a nice one.

<< <i>I like the idea of 2oz. a year of pure gold. And this looks like a nice one. >>

Are you intent on buying 4 of these First Spouse Jackson's for your yearly gold intake??? image

I believe the limit is one per product option here!!!
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it were priced close to $400, I would.
    At the current levels, no thank you. >>

i may sell something to get a proof, i too like this "subset"
  • Gold is going to stay down YAY!!!!
    -Rome is Burning

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I like the idea of 2oz. a year of pure gold. And this looks like a nice one. >>

Are you intent on buying 4 of these First Spouse Jackson's for your yearly gold intake??? image

I believe the limit is one per product option here!!! >>

If the Mint follows the same pattern as the past few releases, it will be 1 Proof and 1 Unc per household for the first week, then unlimited after that.

I'm in for at least 2 Proof and 2 Uncs. (been buying 2 of all the First Spouses to date and plan to assemble 2 sets of the entire series - I'm guessing I'm in the minority on that one). I think the Jackson Liberty and the next issue, the Van Buren Liberty will be relatively quick sell outs, regardless of the prices. Will have to have a family member order my 2nd set during the first week to avoid having to pay any additional premium on eBay.

2009 will be tough, not only will I be buying 16 First spouse coins (2 Proof and 2 Unc of each), but I'm going to have to buy a couple of those new Saints!!!! image I'll just have to.
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

No, just one of each design. Actually I'm thinking the uglier coins may have a better chance of having lower mintage's.
  • I'm working on the 4-coin liberty subset in proof and BU, so yes, I'll be picking up a few of these as well. My 4-coin box still has 3 holes to fill...
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set

<< <i>

<< <i>

No, just one of each design. Actually I'm thinking the uglier coins may have a better chance of having lower mintage's. >>

This is a case of supply and demand. Although the uglier coins maybe lower in mintage you have to have someone willing to pay over spot and most of these will always sell for that IMO.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will probably pass.

I LOVE the Draped Bust design. That prompted me to purchase the Jefferson coin. Now that I own one, it's kind of like kissing you sister or mother. There is no excitement to it.

It will be interesting to see if the mint site is blocked up with anxious buyers eager to purchase these things. After some initial excitement the market for these “limited editions” seems to have fallen flat with the coins selling at around their melt value.

AND like another poster stated

“Too many products; too little money to buy them.”

I WANT to finish up type set of OLD coins. I don’t need this new trash.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm working on the 4-coin liberty subset in proof and BU, so yes, I'll be picking up a few of these as well. My 4-coin box still has 3 holes to fill... >>

Don't get too excited, the mint changed the capsule sizes of the 2008 First Spouse Coins. I don't have the 4-coin box, but I'm guessing the 2008s will not fit. Might need to get some extra 2007 sized capsules.

Didn't the mint stop selling the 4-coin boxes? Probably because the new coins won't fit.

• << <i>

<< <i>I'm working on the 4-coin liberty subset in proof and BU, so yes, I'll be picking up a few of these as well. My 4-coin box still has 3 holes to fill... >>

Don't get too excited, the mint changed the capsule sizes of the 2008 First Spouse Coins. I don't have the 4-coin box, but I'm guessing the 2008s will not fit. Might need to get some extra 2007 sized capsules.

Didn't the mint stop selling the 4-coin boxes? Probably because the new coins won't fit. >>

Figures... image
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I might be in for a BU Coin - against my better judgement of course. image Can't deal with those proofs though, they look like some cheesey Hamilton Mint Replica slug.
  • I'm moving my Jefferson Liberty proof to buy a Jackson Liberty BU so I have a set of Liberty's working in BU for my pleasure and not so much investment.....................................................................................Until Au goes $2k per ounce.
  • I'd like to buy, and I'd like to be able to FS from PCGS....any idea how to do that?

FloridaBill
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Its not the same obverse as the Jefferson 1st spouse.
  • I also would like FS, but you have to buy from a dealer or e-Bay to get that. I think I will buy from the Mint, have it graded, and forget FS. The only one that will have FS for me is Jefferson.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭
    Its a nice coin but I will pass. I might buy later on.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First spouse?? Hey, I want to see Rachel Donelson Jackson on the obv. smoking her corncob pipe!
  • Rachel never made it to the White House because she died just before Jackson became President.

Andrew Jackson 1767-1845

Rachel Donelson Robards Jackson 1767-1828

Cool Pictures Here

"However, she was a heavy smoker and a corncob pipe was her trademark."

Interesting History

<< <i>image

Andrew Jackson 1767-1845

Rachel Donelson Robards Jackson 1767-1828

Cool Pictures Here

"However, she was a heavy smoker and a corncob pipe was her trademark."

Interesting History >>

Some historical pics for the AM crowd.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are still making those things? image
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nice to have BillJones back, I don't have to bother to compose a reply, because he's already written a perfect one:

>>
    I will probably pass.

I LOVE the Draped Bust design. That prompted me to purchase the Jefferson coin. Now that I own one, it's kind of like kissing you sister or mother. There is no excitement to it.

It will be interesting to see if the mint site is blocked up with anxious buyers eager to purchase these things. After some initial excitement the market for these “limited editions” seems to have fallen flat with the coins selling at around their melt value.

I WANT to finish up type set of OLD coins. I don’t need this new trash
    <<

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

<< <i>It's nice to have BillJones back, I don't have to bother to compose a reply, because he's already written a perfect one:

>>
    I will probably pass.

I WANT to finish up type set of OLD coins. I don’t need this new trash
    << >>

At least the Jefferson was bought at reasonable spot!!! image
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the Jefferson Liberty draped bust, did not like it, and sold it. For a gold coin, the engraving and detail were lousy, the detail is much better on a well struck half cent, which the Jeff spouse was modeled after. I will not be buying the Jackson.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • I think i'm gonna pass on this one. Maybe when i see one, the detail is there & they look nice. I could change my mind! Depending on the price

SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file