stevekstevek Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    National League East
    Team W L Pct. GB Home Road East Cent. West L10 Strk
    Philadelphia 39 26 .600 - 21-13 18-13 12-9 14-9 12-6 8-2 W 4
    Florida 34 28 .548 3½ 20-13 14-15 15-12 11-9 7-5 4-6 W 2
    Atlanta 32 32 .500 6½ 25-11 7-21 16-16 6-10 8-5 3-7 L 3
    N.Y. Mets 30 32 .484 7½ 17-11 13-21 15-15 4-6 9-11 4-6 L 4
    Washington 25 39 .391 13½ 14-20 11-19 13-19 9-11 2-7 2-8

I'm not going to say it's over yet, of course not, it's only early June, but admittedly there's a thought process here that it's going to be over for the other NL East teams sometime in the future. Phillies are starting to place themselves in a position whereby they could be impossible to catch. For example, in the next Phillies-Mets series, if the Phillies beatup on them, the Mets would in reality then be out of it.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Hello.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Hello.

Steve >>

NL East fans of teams such as the Mets and Braves better get used to Phillies dominance in the NL East and probably in the NL as well. The era of the Phillies getting ring after ring in MLB is here.

Phillies will beat Boston in this upcoming WS, 4 games to 2, which will begin what future baseball historians will refer to as the "Phillies Era" in MLB.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Rollins
    Victorino
    Utley
    Howard
    Burrell

The new murderers row!

BAM

js
  • Options
    Ya know how teams when they're being badly blown out late in a game, sometimes put in a non-pitcher in the game to pitch to save the arms of their pitching staff as well as to save the staff further embarassment. Well these Phillies are so good and so dangerous, that opposing managers may start doing this in the beginning of games against the Phillies.
  • Options
    "I got 3 1/2 games up for the Phillies, who'll make it 4, do I hear 4, who'll make it 4, I got 4 games up, who'll make it 4 1/2, do I hear 4 1/2........"

• Options
    Don't count your rings before they hatch.

BAM

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't count your rings before they hatch.

BAM

Steve >>

You must be hanging out with Grote15 with his Aesop's Fables analogies. Hate to inform both of you - Aesop has died.

PS: Mets fans don't realize it yet but this season's Phillies ring has already begun to hatch. image
  • Options

<< <i>

Phillies will beat Boston in this upcoming WS, 4 games to 2, which will begin what future baseball historians will refer to as the "Phillies Era" in MLB. >>

Nah, the Phillies will surely sweep us 4-0 to win their ring. Utley will have 3 homer games against Beckett and Matsuzaka.
    The Phillies pitching staff will make Manny hit .098 The rest of the team will hit .124 It will be utter dominance.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Phillies will beat Boston in this upcoming WS, 4 games to 2, which will begin what future baseball historians will refer to as the "Phillies Era" in MLB. >>

Nah, the Phillies will surely sweep us 4-0 to win their ring. Utley will have 3 homer games against Beckett and Matsuzaka.
    The Phillies pitching staff will make Manny hit .098 The rest of the team will hit .124 It will be utter dominance. >>

Reverse jinxes won't work when ya don't mean it. LOL
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I'm not necessarily a Phillies fan, but how can you not root for Jamie Moyer? 7-3 this year with an unimpressive (though effective) 4.12 ERA. I hope he pitches beyond this year and somehow makes it to 250 career wins. (He's at 237 right now.)

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. And no post about projected players stats would be appropriate without a what if, e.g. what if Moyer had posted a "decent number" of wins in 1989, 1990 and 1991 when he won, respectively, 4, 2 and 0 games.
  • Options
    ho hum, Kendrick pitching a beauty tonight.

JS

PS...BAM BAM BAM
    (back to back to back)
  • Options

Sincerely,
    The Phillies
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to admit, Philly is pretty fearsome right now...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I love it when position players pitch. Second baseman Aaron Miles pitched one inning (the 9th) and got Rollins to fly out, Victorino to foul out and Bruntlett to ground out, which brings me to the following trivia question ...

Who was the last position player to record a win in the major league?

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. I think the trivia question is pretty tough, but then again, there are some educated board members here.
  • Options
    Final 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    Philadelphia « 3 1 0 9 1 3 0 3 0 20 21 2
    St. Louis 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 2 10 1
  • Options

<< <i>Final 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    Philadelphia « 3 1 0 9 1 3 0 3 0 20 21 2
    St. Louis 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 2 10 1 >>

My only question was why was St. Louis allowed to bat in the bottom of the 9th? I thought there was a rule in MLB that if the visiting team had an 18 run lead, then the home team wasn't allowed to bat in the 9th.
  • Options
    Dam, this season is fun...and it's gonna get funner!

• Options
    You know you are kicking butt when your catcher is hitting like Bonds and doesn't get mentioned in the paper.

oh yeah

js
  • Options
    Will Ryan Howard strikeout over 200 times this year?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Will Ryan Howard strikeout over 200 times this year?

Steve >>

Howard was quoted as saying he needs to catch more breaks and hit more singles, what he did was hit two over the wall.

jealous?

OH YEAH

js
  • Options

<< <i>Will Ryan Howard strikeout over 200 times this year?

Steve >>

So this is what it has come down to?...Mets fans nitpicking at a Phillies batter after the Phillies just scored 20 runs - Just in case WinPitcher doesn't understand the game of baseball...20 runs is two touchdowns and two field goals...and that's a lot of points for one team to score in a 60 minute baseball game.
  • Options
    Has David Wright disappeared off the face of the earth?

js
  • Options
    in a 60 minute baseball game.

60 minute baseball game what world do you live in? Talk about not knowing the game.

And I wasn't nitpicking I was simply asking a question. The guy is on pace to k 240 times this yr.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>in a 60 minute baseball game.

60 minute baseball game what world do you live in? Talk about not knowing the game.

And I wasn't nitpicking I was simply asking a question. The guy is on pace to k 240 times this yr.

Steve >>

Gee whiz Steve...if a team is capable of scoring 20 runs a game (twice this year already), and ripping the cover off the ball like the Phillies are...What does it matter if Howard strikes out 200 times?

Answer...When the Phillies World Series victory parade occurs down Broad Street in the Fall, Howard's strikeouts won't mean a hill of beans to any cheering Phillies fan.
  • Options
    You mean when and if.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, a few other teams are playing as well.

They may do a 3 games and out again.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Good test for Cole Hamels and Jamie Moyer coming up. Let's see if the Phillies can take
    2/3 from the world champions at home. Most good teams can take two of three at home, especially when
    the other club isn't throwing two of their best pitchers.
  • Options

<< <i>Good test for Cole Hamels and Jamie Moyer coming up. Let's see if the Phillies can take
    2/3 from the world champions at home. Most good teams can take two of three at home, especially when
    the other club isn't throwing two of their best pitchers. >>

This should be a precursor to the World Series, that is if Boston is good enough to make it back to the World Series.
  • Options
    This just in:

FLASH GORDON STILL SUCKS.

Sincerely,
    Philly Fan
  • Options
    Geez I found this thread on page 4!! What? The Sillies lose 3 in a row and the next Ted Williams
    goes 0 for 23 and the two resident Sillies fanatics go hiding under the bed?

Come on fellows, stick with YOUR team through thick and thin.

I guess you guys fell off the bandwagon.

Stevek no Mets threads as of late either? You are slipping man.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Its pretty sad when a 3 game losing streak is the worse you can hope for. Mets still can't pick up ground. Payback is a *itch

JS
  • Options
    Wrong Joey, the Mets did pick up ground, they picked up 2.5 games

They are now out 4 .5 games.

They were out 7 at one time last week.

Geez don't you read the papers?

Steve

edited to add: Actually the Mets picked up 3 games over the past 10 games where the Sillies went 3 and 7

lol 2nd place I wonder who will get there first? The sillies or the Mets?

Good for you.
  • Options
    Calling Stevek

Calling Stevek

Calling Stevek

Your team needs you.

Come out come out wherever you are.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Philadelphia 42 33 .560 - 22-16 20-17 13-11 15-11 12-6 3-7 L 3
    Florida 39 34 .534 2 22-15 17-19 17-13 11-10 7-5 5-5 L 1
    N.Y. Mets 36 36 .500 4½ 20-14 16-22 15-15 4-6 11-13 6-4 W 2
    Atlanta 36 39 .480 6 25-12 11-27 16-16 6-13 9-5 4-6 L 2
    Washington 30 45 .400 12 15-21 15-24 13-19 10-13 2-8 5-5

These standings still don't look bad to me.

PS: Your Mets are getting iced tonight - They'll be under .500 again in about an hour. I already knew getting rid of Randolph would help your team, but it won't help them enough.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are more than welcome to come into Fenway and play some more ball with the Sox, maybe ala World Series style? I would love for you guys to get some ( however short lived ) October TV time!
  • Options
    The Sillies will do what they always do and that is lose, it is just a matter of time.

Steve

Edited to add: I see the Sillies lost tonite, That is 4 in a row.....

The free fall is on. Soon they and NY will be exchanging places.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>The Sillies will do what they always do and that is lose, it is just a matter of time.

Steve

Edited to add: I see the Sillies lost tonite,

The free fall is on. Soon they and NY will be exchanging places. >>

Good thing you don't have to go through Rick Ankiel to get through the playoffs! How much are you paying Dice K?

Sincerely,
    Too Much
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Sillies will do what they always do and that is lose, it is just a matter of time.

Steve

Edited to add: I see the Sillies lost tonite,

The free fall is on. Soon they and NY will be exchanging places. >>

Good thing you don't have to go through Rick Ankiel to get through the playoffs! How much are you paying Dice K?

Sincerely,
    Too Much >>

World Series ring count...

Dice K = 1
    Phillies= 0

Thanks.
  • Options
    yeah, and Rob Johnson has a ring too...big whoop
    js
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the rate they're going, this thread may need to be retitled "Say Hello to the last place Phillies". They've done 4 series in a row against other contenders and lost them all. I like Vlad Guerrero and am glad he's back in fine hitting form, but does he have to hit his stride against my Phillies?? :-(
  • Options
    Sillies LOSE again, Where are the resident fanatics? They seem to be here when these guys win.

5 in a row....do I hear 6?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Sillies LOSE again, Where are the resident fanatics? >>

It got pretty bad when Vlad visited the launching pad. The fightin's looked sad, and phillies
    fans got mad, therefore they have a new dad, his name is Vlad.

That "poetry" is almost as bad as this ballclub has been.
  • Options
    I'm sure the '27 Yankees went through a few slumps during the season - I ain't the least bit worried about it. Phillies will win the NL East with no problem - the only team capable of keeping the Phillies out of the World Series is the Cubs.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Sillies are folding even earlier than I thought...Mets now only 3.5 out...and with Willie gone, things will only get better from here, LOL!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Time to regroup and do what we do best...

own the NL

JS
  • Options
    Comparing this Sillies team to the 27 Yanks is like comparing hamburger to Fillet Mignon.

See you guys in 3rd place in about a week.

with that sorry pitching staff you better score 20 runs per game!

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Comparing this Sillies team to the 27 Yanks is like comparing hamburger to Fillet Mignon.

Steve >>

I think you owe a profound apology to all fans of the '27 Yankees for calling them "hamburger" - The '27 Yankees happened to be a very good baseball team although their lineup might have to take a bow to the powerful 2008 Phillies.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Comparing this Sillies team to the 27 Yanks is like comparing hamburger to Fillet Mignon.

Steve >>

I think you owe a profound apology to all fans of the '27 Yankees for calling them "hamburger" - The '27 Yankees happened to be a very good baseball team although their lineup might have to take a bow to the powerful 2008 Phillies. >>

And who the heck is Fillet Mignon? I never heard of this baseball player before. I looked him up and he wasn't listed in the Baseball Encyclopaedia. Did he play in one of those baseball leagues in South America?
  • Options
    The '27 Yankees happened to be a very good baseball team although their lineup might have to take a bow to the powerful 2008 Phillies.

Now you are sounding like Kevin, 5 losses in a row will do that to you.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> The '27 Yankees happened to be a very good baseball team although their lineup might have to take a bow to the powerful 2008 Phillies. >>

image The 2008 Phillies shouldn't even be used in the same sentence with any Championship Yankees team, and certainly not the 27 Yankees at this time. Way to early in the season for that comparison. Now if the 2008 Phillies win over a 105+ games and sweep the World Series against todays AL best team, then you can throw out your 2008 Phillies vs. 1927 Yankees comments. A sweep over the Bosox, Angels or whoever is strong in the Playoffs will get my vote.