Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post some new Barber images - the Mega Barber Thread

Comments

• Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    More rub is better than a little rub in this case - got to go with a nice VF35!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casey, Very Fine is a good call on that Barber! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Back to coins...

MFH other images found.

• Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>More rub is better than a little rub in this case - got to go with a nice VF35! >>

I was thinking the same thing, Tom, more rub than 58, choice VF!! Ahem, I mean, of course, in my pre-marital days, ahem... image

Don
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Watch out Nan, UfunnieMan's getting Frisky.

Broadstrike, you're killing me with that 98-O Broadstrike.
    This would be something...show me the Mint Mark...I don't
    think I could handle it if it were a Micro O...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    MFH, Sorry only a fully struck right wing.... but I could photoshop a micro O image

• Options

<< <i>Watch out Nan, UfunnieMan's getting Frisky.

Broadstrike, you're killing me with that 98-O Broadstrike.
    This would be something...show me the Mint Mark...I don't
    think I could handle it if it were a Micro O...

image >>

Mike,

Speaking of the 98 micro "o", what ever happened to the one that you submitted?
  • Options

The above image was what started this whole uproar...as far as I know
    this coin is still raw in a Georgia collection.

The NGC 30 from the Jules Reiver collection that I submitted for Presidential
    Review was left - after five months - as unattributed. Although my coin's
    mint mark is substantially smaller than the norm, its a bit larger than the above
    imaged coin. Hence NGC's skepticism about my coin.

Here's my PCGS 64 for further comparison:

The mint mark is quite larger on the MS 64 than on the VF 30.

I have another image of another 98-O...lets see how it compares:...oopps its too small to discern its MM size...sorry.

If the raw coin was attributed by any of the major TPG's, it would be a clear cut - no questions asked -
    1898-O Micro O. I'm not disputing the authenticity of the first imaged 1898-O as I honestly believe the collector owns the coin as its imaged - as the pictures appear to be original... with even toning and wear on the obverse and the reverse. I don't believe the coin was photoshopped.

The size of the first 1898-O is more consistant with the 1892-O Micro O...here's my 92-O for comparison:

So...I guess my NGC 30 Reiver coin stays entombed in its holder without its Micro O designation
    as long as the unattributed first imaged coin remains uncertified.

Oh, and Broadstruck, the 1898-O AU 58 Broadstrike you have is mighty nice - mighty nice.
    Thank the good Lord it turned out to be a normal mintmark, other wise I'd have lost countless
    hours of sleep over it !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I don't know why, but I personally can't get too excited about the Micro "O" varieties (ditto for Micro "S" varieties in Morgans). Do you all feel that these varieties are integral to a complete set of Barber halves? Which dates are confirmed to have the micro "O" ? The 1892 gets all the attention, but are any of the others as rare?

I don't have the Kevin Flynn reference on the halves, only the quarters. He lists doubled dies, repunched and over- dates & mintmarks, but no varieties in the quarter series based on the size of the mintmark.

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    [ Comments on mintmark placement in the quarter series - moved to new thread. ]
  • Options
    Thank the good Lord it turned out to be a normal mintmark, other wise I'd have lost countless hours of sleep over it !!

MFH, I can't think of anything else in life past numismatics where a man would loose countless hours of sleep wanting a Micro something? image
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know why, but I personally can't get too excited about the Micro "O" varieties (ditto for Micro "S" varieties in Morgans). Do you all feel that these varieties are integral to a complete set of Barber halves? Which dates are confirmed to have the micro "O" ? The 1892 gets all the attention, but are any of the others as rare?

I don't have the Kevin Flynn reference on the halves, only the quarters. He lists doubled dies, repunched and over- dates & mintmarks, but no varieties in the quarter series based on the size of the mintmark.

Best,
    Sunnywood >>

Sunnywood,

I would have to say that the 92 micro "O" is one variety in the Barber half series that everyone of us Barber fanatics would love to own. There are a few other minor varieties in the series, but none that carry the mistique, or the desire for ownership, like the 92 micro "O". As nice as it would be to own one - as far as I know - it's not essential for a completed Barber half set.
  • Options
    The TCP-111 Collection had an auction on eBay ending tonight and I bid on two coins however, someone ran up the price on a beautifully toned 1893-P dime in PCGS 58...and the other bidder snipped me at the last second. That's life...and he ended up paying MS 63 money for it.

However, I was successful in getting this 1914-D in PCGS 58...thought it looked nice...

edited at the request of the TCP-111 Collection
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know why, but I personally can't get too excited about the Micro "O" varieties (ditto for Micro "S" varieties in Morgans). Do you all feel that these varieties are integral to a complete set of Barber halves?
    Best,
    Sunnywood >>

I don't think integral is the word unless you own one.
    Before I found this forum to quiery any experts I sold a vg 1892s Barber Half which by all comparisons had a micro "s" - like smaller than quarter size. I put that notation in the ebay listing but it did nothing more than typical money. I've seen a couple others. I guess in a series like the Bust Halves where all h*ll went on with dies in the early days such numismatic endevour of varieties is quite something. Barbers are more straightforward. So maybe that's the spice of the micro "o".
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 14-D, Mike. Textbook "Casey" material, with the usual interesting color. A bargain @ $93 bucks in my opinion.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Nice pickup Mike, definitely has that "Casey" look to it.
  • Options

Added this this evening from an eBay auction. Nice coin, although not
    as toned as I'd like. These little choice AU's are not as available as I
    once thought they were. I'll be curious which will be the "last one added"
    in a certified TPG.

imageimage

I also bought back a coin I had regretted selling a year ago;
    the collector was nice enough to sell it back to me.

This coin is alot nicer in hand than DLRC's original image.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I can understand the appeal of rare varieties. After all, I used to collect all the Cherrypicker varieties of shield nickels. But what I don't understand is when there are let's say two or three varieties of equal interest and equal rarity, and one gets famous and expensive, while the other two are ignored. So what I want to know, just out of curiosity, would be how many other mintmarked issues in the barber halves come with a similarly small micro mintmark? How rare is the 1892-S micro "S" half? Is there an 1898-O micro "O" half? What other micro-MM varieties are there? Are they as rare as the 1892-O ??

In another thread, we talked about an 1897-S quarter variety with the mintmark centered between QUARTER and DOLLAR. (Normally on the '97-S quarter, the mintmark is over the D of DOLLAR.) It turns out that this "centered mintmark" variety is quite rare - perhaps on the order of one in thirty, or 3-4% of the total population. I tmay even be more rare than that. Why should that be any less significant than the 1892-O micro "O" half ? When did the 1892-O gain its notoriety - who promoted it?

Best,
    Sunnywood

P.S. I'm not trying to talk down the value of the 1892-O micro "O" half - after all, two of the finest examples are owned by my friends Dale Friend and Dr. Steven Duckor. I'm just trying to find out what other similarly rare varieties might be overlooked in the series.
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments on the 14-D guys. Mike, I hope you like it. It went out in the mail today. Since I'm working on two Barber dime collections (AU58 and XF45), I have a hard time justifying hanging on to duplicate AU58s even when they're gorgeous.

Here's a recent purchase. I don't remember if I've posted this one before. I purchased raw on the bay and just got it back from PCGS today - MS62. I'm bummed - was hoping for AU58. image

• Options

<< <i>I can understand the appeal of rare varieties. After all, I used to collect all the Cherrypicker varieties of shield nickels. But what I don't understand is when there are let's say two or three varieties of equal interest and equal rarity, and one gets famous and expensive, while the other two are ignored. So what I want to know, just out of curiosity, would be how many other mintmarked issues in the barber halves come with a similarly small micro mintmark? How rare is the 1892-S micro "S" half? Is there an 1898-O micro "O" half? What other micro-MM varieties are there? Are they as rare as the 1892-O ?? >>

As far as I know, the 92 micro "o" is the rarest of the Barber half varieties (I think the estimates are approximately 40-50 coins). I'm not sure what the estimates are on the 92 micro "s" half, but I would venture to say that they're quite a bit more than the micro "o". At the current time, the micro "s" isn't adding much of a premium to the cost of the coin. I don't know why the micro "s" and some of the other varieties aren't adding much of a premium to the coin, or why they haven't attracted the attention of Barber collectors like the micro "o". All I can say is that the other varieties are probably not near as rare as the micro "o" and because of this, and for whatever reason, special interest in Barber half varieties never really took off like it has in other series. On a side note - if a 98 micro "o" is ever certified as such, this coin may be the new king on the Barber halves.

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Several things make the 92-O micro O the "king" of the varieties of barber halves.

FIrst, there are really not very many varieties in all of the barber halves that are very impressive, but the micro O is easily discerned. The marked size difference from an ordinary O mint mark can plainly be recognized without a magnifying glass. Similar to the 1955 double die obverse cent, the differences are easy to see and demonstrate to others and thus has appeal beyond just us hooked-on-coins nerds. Dramatic errors are the most desirable in almost every case in coins. Double-struck coins, off-center coins, etc. have appeal to nearly anyone.

Second, the micro O has been publisized and promoted via the Red Book, David Lawrence's books and has been known for a long time. There are about 50-55 known examples and many people are willing to pay the price to have one. Thus, the demand is there and has been for many years in a sustainable fashion. The top -graded coin is likely worth $150K (Eliasberg MS 68) and the prices are holding strong for this variety. Prices are also given on the pcgs website, further substantiating the value.

Third, only one example of what appears to be a bonafide 98-O half in raw VF condition has been seen by a select few. How would one price such a coin? Interesting question, but if none ever change hands, no auction records exist, no listing are found in any guidebooks, and the coin is NEVER available, how does one price such a coin. I know that there are collectors including me that would have an interest in owning one of these.

Fourth, the 92-S mint mark varieties seem to stay under the radar. I have not seen one to my knowledge and haven't seen it discussed much or ever seen any mention other than in passing. I know older whitman folding blue albums also had a space for 94-S halves with mint mark variation, this is another variety I have little experience with and haven't seen much ever written about it. Hard to get excited about minor varieties that no-one seems to care enough about to write about.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    As all the Barber half collectors scour the inventories of countless dealers throughout the counrty
    searching for the elusive 1898-O Micro O, somewhere there is lurking another specimen.

Its a legendary quest for all Half collectors.

As I also have a great interest in Barber quarters as well, I will pay closer attention to MM placements;
    and thank you Sunnywood for pointing out the rare MM positioning of the 1897-S. I mentioned in another thread that somewhere in the recesses of my PC, I have quite a bit of information on MM positioning; plus
    I also have a few years of back issues of the BCCS Journal which outline this topic.

The DLRC Guide also needs to be reviewed, as it seems I'm forgetting more
    these days than I'm retaining...early onset of hardening of the arteries..........image

I was fortunate to locate and sucessfully bid on another 1901-S half; bidding blind
    on line even with decent images has its drawbacks. At the moment, I pray this coin crosses
    at PCGS. Why do I fear "DNC" / "Altered Surfaces". I think that this one will cross though.

Any thoughts ?

Please be kind...this date has hammered me too often...it seems I can never get the right coin
    at the right time. Maybe my luck's changed.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike,

It's hard to tell from the images, but the 01-S does look original and has nice surfaces. Does the coin show decent luster? Is that a rim ding on the reverse at 6:00 o'clock, or a toning or grease mark by the denticles? Knowing your past history with this date (early on I unknowingly became a part of that history), I wish you the best with the crossover to PCGS.
  • Options

Dan,

Coin's not in hand yet; I just won it at the Stack's auction. From the images I doubt the reverse rim ding is anything to concern myself with - to be honest, I didn't notice anything until you brought it up now.

Yes, our first "introduction" was over the NGC AU 58 - 1901-S Half in your collection; a coin I had every intention of buying once I got home that fateful Sunday only to find that you bought it from that
    collector in Georgia.

Wonder what ever happened to him...he just faded away ... along with a bit of Numismatic History in his hands. [ If you're reading this CG, how are you ? ]

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    Mike, IMHO, I think the 01-S has original surfaces. It IS a tough date. The different shades around the rims, particulary around the stars on the obverse is a good indicator. B.T.W. I was right behind you on that XF40 1913 a while back on TT image Congrats. How does it look in hand?
  • Options
    Tombr: PM sent
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Stopped by Arnie Heller's listings on eBay earlier this morning and he had a few "Best Offers"
    on a couple of halves I was somewhat interested in.

Looks like I'm the proud new owner of two PCGS XF 40's... 1912-S & 1915-D
    ...and they are already winging their way onto me.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Those will make great stocking stuffers image
  • Options
    Broadstruck...yes they will.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    Beauty 01-S Mike.

Quick Baltimore Show Update-I went on Friday:

-Dropped off 5 coins to get Tru-Viewed. Will post when I get those images.
    -Dropped off the 05-P again for a regrade. Told PCGS I don't want any money, just a XF45 grade. We'll see.
    -Did not see a single XF45 05-P. Bummer.
    -Did see a very nice AU55 05-P.
    -JJ Teaparty had some nice Barbers inculding an 04-S in XF40. Yes, it is an XF40. No chance at XF45.
    -Saw a few common date AU Barber Dimes
    -I spread the word about a $500 finders fee for that 05-P in PCGS XF45. Hope that generated some interest.
    -Did find 3 more national bank notes I was looking for
    -Selling old silver commems was TOUGH! With all the things I sold, probably broke even if I would have put them on Ebay and incurred all the fees for paypal, ebay etc.
    -Credit Card is now at $0: PRICELESS
    -Found a new niche I am going for: 1929 Federal Reserve Bank Notes. Very underappreciated and will be a challenge. Sound familiar?
    -Did pick up a 1759 gold 12 Mark from Denmark in PCGS AU55. I'm Danish so that is cool.
    -Had a wonderful lunch with the VP of PCGS Currency. A good friend to have.

Wish I had more to tell. Only Forum members I saw were currency folks.

v/r
    Craig
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    Mike,
    The 01-S looks original and hopefully it will cross...would be surprised if it didn't. Congrats on the XF-40's! Those are beauts and I'm sure your son will enjoy them.

Craig,
    Thanks for the update on the Baltimore show...did you run into Dave Bowers? Stacks had some nice Barbers auctioned at the show but I was only able to capture one of the lots (via Internet). Seems there were some good buys on some lots and others went for big money. The way they grouped some of the lots together made bidding tricky particularly with the variety in rarity rankings and grades. Nonethesless looks like the mid-grades are holding their own and more in value.

Dr. Pete, thanks for the background on Barber half varieties. Appreciate your insight since there's very little in print that discusses these.

Cheers to all,
    Dave
  • Options
    Glad I don't need a decent 04-s Half. These are getting up there.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110191877147&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

OK the long and short of it is raw vf on the bay for 1600+. Sorry I can't live link to save my life.
  • Options
    link

I don't know, but a real nice one is hard to come by. IMHO it's a XF40 and does look original.

• Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    VF30. Can't see the lower band on LIberty and way to much detail lost on the eagle's wing feathers. However, the coin has an awesome look to it. Don't know why that person didn't get it slabbed.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    Yeah, maybe in the right holder it would have gotten 2K.

• Options

I mentioned to tombr that I thought the coin was a 25 or 30 and would have gone to $2250 - 2500
    and if it was in a PCGS holder as either of these grades, it would have fetched that amount of money.

That coin had a very nice look and as Craig mentioned, I too was surprised it wasn't holdered.

I've posted this Teletrade pick up before...but, while we're on the subject:

I grade this coin a VF 25; IMHO, its nicer than a VF 20.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Mike, every time Halloween rolls around, I think about your 04s, what a STEAL you got from TT. image

Believe it or not, my search radar missed that 1904s on ebaY y'all linked above. Ouch! image What a nice looking coin, from the pictures. The hunt continues...

Don
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    imageimage
    My 04s PCGS XF45
  • Options
    Dogwood's 04-S has better detail in the wingtips, shield, and headband. Somethng else I've learned to look at is the lowest leaf in the wreath, in line with earlobe, closest to the rim, the horizontal and vertical lines in the shield on the reverse as well as the center section of the tailfeathers. Mike-you're right. I think yours looks nicer that a VF20. For comparison here's one of my 04-S's. It's holdered VF25 PCGS.

Most of the scratches seen in the pics are on the holder.

The Ebay coin is definitely nicer than mine. I still think it's XF40. It has an overall great look, and I think the PCGS graders take this into account and not just one or two features ie: Liberty, wingtip feathers etc...... Just my thoughts guys. I'd love the buyer to join the discussion if he/she is out there. Heck--------maybe we can get Homerunhall to weigh in on this. image
  • Options
    Just sent a PM to Homerunhall-------maybe he'll weigh in.
  • Options
    I really liked the look of that raw 04-S too. I thought it was a nice VF-30 at best. Still, to spend that kind of money on a raw coin, on Ebay no less, takes some big one's.......which I'm lacking as of late. image
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    My first Barber better than G06!!! Comments???

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

It definitely has some uniqueness, hairlines and all....
  • Options
  • Options
    Ideally you'd like to think it's a proof with some massive die polishing marks that became more evident as it toned. I'm not even a novice at proofery, but I'd throw that out there to be argued. The hairlines don't cross the devices with the same gusto so I'd stick with my (hopeful) scenario.
  • Options
    Is the implication here that this coin has been cleaned?? Coin is in a NGC PF62 holder. Also, the hairlines are NOT noticeable when looking at the coin, or through a 5x loupe.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    It's very difficult to find any proofs of this era that haven't been wiped(long ago) probably with a very light cloth, even though it will easily scratch a proof surface and some have been wiped more than others. TPGs will still holder them many times. I ve got a PR64 PCGS half of the era and it certainly has some hairlines. you really need to get in the 66+ grade range to find very little or no hairlines in proofs from that era or older, from my experience.
  • Options
    BSTAT1020,

I don't think that they were implying anything; I think they were making a statement of fact. (*)

( * Hairlines on a proof coin doesn't necessarily mean the coin was "cleaned", it could have
    been wiped with a soft cloth; even that minor abrasion could cause hairlines. Hence, the
    NGC PR 62 grade asigned. ) [ Bluelobster beat me to that conclusion, because I was typing
    a longer response.]

Pretty coin though.

Don...you've got a memory like a steel trap. image I can't remember when I bought that coin. Not
    without looking it up in my inventory. Its scheduled to be crossed over while I'm at FUN this January.
    My thoughts are to crack it out and submit it raw, as PCGS won't give a higher grade to a pre-encapsulated other TPG holder. I think it should get a VF 25 anyway.

Craig...have you been in touch with Arnie Heller about a 1905-P in 45 ? He'd been selling quite a few
    halves of late on eBay. Have him see if he can locate an NGC 50 for you...PCGS will be happy to downgrade
    it for you ! Take this from personal experience, right guys ? image

Dogwood...Very nice solid XF 40 example you've got there. Very nice indeed. Where did you find it ?
    I'm always looking for new sources. Arn't we all...[ I think you're too optomistic about those die polishing
    lines on that proof 1913 quarter. ]

Tombr...your 04-S as a VF 25...hmmm...looks like a nice coin, but I think its more a VF 20...only my opinion.
    Maybe the lighting was too strong to acurately capture the true feeling of the coin.

Dan...You're not lacking anything...breaking out on your own in a field that was just a hobby makes all of
    us think you've got brass ones !!! image

My newest quarter purchase is too large to post; I sent its image to a group of Barber collectors, so they know what's new in my collection, aside from the 1901-S anacs 55 Half.

Anyone from the group who received the image of the 1896 Quarter in PCGS MS 64,
    feel free to post it here, I wouldn't mind at all. [ I can then copy and paste it into the Registry set !! image ]

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
  • Options
    Wow 900! imageimage

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file