Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Take my son or go alone?

I plan on going to the coin show in Long Beach this month. I've never been to a coin show before so this will be my first time. Only problem, my wife works the day I plan on going so I have to watch my 2 year old son. Since I've never been to a coin show before is the coin show appropriate for my son or should I find a babysitter for the day.

Comments

• Options
    I suggest you wait until he reaches 9 or 10, and if he shows any interest in coins at then take him. If you take him now he will be bored to death in 5 minutes and you will never have a chance to look at any coins.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Frankly, I'd find a babysitter.

A 2-year-old is too young to gain any appreciation for the bourse and will require lots of attention that will distract you from the wares.

I'd think age 5 or 6 would be the minimum, and then only for an hour or two.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Two years old is a little young. Neither one of you would enjoy the show. Here's an idea, buy him an ASE ( or something ) at every show you go to untill he is able to go with you. That way, when he is older, he'll know you were thinking of him.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭
    I took three 7 years old kids (my son, niece, & nephew) to a coin show a few years back and I ended up running around with them to "treasure hunt" image

If you need more time to view, inspect, discuss, and to take out your check book to buy coins, go alone. But if you want to have fun eating, drinking, finding rest room, and running around, go with your kids.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spend the time with your son and go to a coin show later.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    The baby sitter will be best, but if your son is in a stroller and doesn't get antsy, I don't see a reason why he cannot go. Of course, getting down the bourse aisle with a stoller takes some skill. I got more than a few dirty looks at the White Plains show when I attempted that feat. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Go alone, you will feel rushed for time when looking for coins because the kid is:

A) Bored
    B) Tired
    C) Hungry
    D) Needs to be changed
    E) drooling on the display case (dealers are probably use to it)

Seriously, find a babysitter and enjoy yourself. When you kid gets older go for it.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for the responses, babysitter it is.
  • Options

<< <i>Spend the time with your son and go to a coin show later. >>

I agree. As a father of a three year old I would say if you have to go then find a sitter, a 2year old's idea of fun would not involve periods of standing around while you look at coins

Dr J
  • Options
    When I saw your thread title I was thinking you were considering bringing a 7 or 8 year-old which I think is a blast.

If you bring a 2 year-old, on the other hand, it is likely to be miserable for both of you.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a dealer at a show, I can tell you that little kids like that can be a pain in the tail. They get bored. They get cranky. And they can drive you and everyone around them crazy. The problem is there is nothing for them to do there.

I'd find baby sitter. Both you and your son will be happier.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    The Long Beach show is huge and it may take you many hours to make you're way around the bourse. It's not a good show to bring very young children to. Get a babysitter and enjoy the show!

Bob
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Babysitter, well worth the investment.... the child is WAY to young. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

Rupert305,

Come and visit Rick and I at table #640, we will show you some "cool coppers"
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    way too young at 2pm
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with everyone else--a baby sitter.

I also had the same experience Longacre had, opnly at the FUN show: No one likes someone weaving a baby stroller down the aisle.

One year I took my (then) 7 year old son and 3 year old daughter to a FUN show. My 7 year old had a blast. I, on the other hand, nearly died carrying my 3 year old up and down all the aisles.
    Mark

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's an idea, buy him an ASE ( or something ) at every show you go to untill he is able to go with you. That way, when he is older, he'll know you were thinking of him. >>

Or buy a roll of ASEs and save yourself from having to remember image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a 16 and an 18 year old myself, I would recommend not taking a 2 year old.

I dearly love my kids, but if they weren't collectors themselves (and obviously a 2 year old isn't) then I would never take them to a coin show.

Way too many distractions already. You need 100% concentration when buying coins at a show, else you'll make an expensive mistake.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    CgbCgb Posts: 710
    I agree, although I do not have any kids myself I can imagine that they could easily get bored.

Then neither of you will have any fun.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    take da kid ! geeze ..........
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grab some new coins and old coins and sit that boy down on the table. When he looks into your eyes after you get his attention, tell him you want him to find the best coins that you lay down on the table.
    If he picks the cherries, take him. If he looks at you like he doesn't understand, leave him with mom a little longer image She'll straighten him out.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and about your wife working... Just proclaim it "Take Your Children To WORK day". I think there's a law that allows that image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all for mixing coins and kids (my 8 1/2 year old son has been to two ANAs, two CSNSs and TNTC local coin shows), but you are going to have a much better experience without him, and, at that age, he will not have a good time, either. There will be plenty of opportunities for you to do coins with your son in the future.
  • Options
    I did not read the original post.
    Take your son!!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    I took my 2 year old to the Jan. Long Beach show...lots of shiny coins for her to try and grab. I would highly recommend the babysitter.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Two? You've got to be kidding. Not only will your son be miserable, so will you. Collectors and Dealers are a grumpy bunch. Unless your two year old has a fat wallet, I doubt he will be very welcome.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You folks amaze me. TAKE the kid. Don't stay too long. Amuse and feed them. Just like the mall or grocery store.

K
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    It is a little known secret that tables 724 through 745 blackmarket children and pay pretty darn well. You never know what coin you might find and be short on cash, so....

Seriously, I'd find a sitter for the day. A toddler would be a ball and chain and he won't have any fun there. It's hard enough keeping an eye on your bag while sitting at a table. A kid will be much harder. If you do go, have fun!
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    You know what I admit, I have never taken my children. 2 might be a little young and the confusion may make you purchase something you may regret. But I must say from 6 years old on, my dad took me to coin shows. My dad worked 70+ hours a week and that once a month was wonderful. We were never big dollar collectors, just trying to fill the old whitman folders for as cheap as we could. It was the best bonding I think I could have ever had with him. Couple years from now, get him involved, start taking him to shows and involved in auctions. By the time he is 20, he will amaze you with his coin knowledge.
    Life member of the SSDC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file