Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1973 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread

With no disrespect to "softparade" and his entry "1973 Topps Baseball Fanatics", we have not been able to sustain the same respect, as most other memorable years. (And more importantly recent Topps Heritage groups that have had smoking post numbers!)

Granted, we are not a very large collection. We are not as "pretty" as the 1974s, or as difficult as the 1971s. We are not as large as the 72s, or as antique as the 70 & 71s. We do not have the double rookie's like Brett and Yount that the 75s have. But we do have some very difficult to find Blue Team checklists and Manager/Coaches variations. We have the very best third baseman ever as a rookie card in Mike Schmidt, and we do have the notariety as being the last year of being delivered in series. We do not have any MVP cards like the 75s, or the first Washington "National" cards like the 74s, but, we do offer the last cards of Willie and Roberto! We are special, and deserve more respect than those Heritage groups. (Or at least we have something to look forward to with 2022 Topps Heritage!)

Cheers,
MrG
Michael Gaytan (MrG)
TGF Collection
TGF Sports

Comments

• BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i> But we do have some very difficult to find Blue Team checklists >>

You are right about that. I have all the Blue Team checklists from when I was 11 years old, but unfortunatly they look like like it. I would be lucky if they would grade in the 3-5 range...lol.

I don't go to a lot of shows, but the ones that I have attended didn't have any. Some day I will upgrade them, but I will keep the ones from my childhood as memories.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I was so happy to pick up the Phillies Team Checklist when I did. PSA 8 -- but I think it is one of two with none higher. The toughest Phillie card from the set, IMHO
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    Funny that you guys bring up the Blue Team Checklist issue. I have purchased over 200 of them on sBay auctions, and have only been able to submit 10 thus far. The best grade was a PSA 7 on a SF Giants CL. Mighty tough indeed.
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '73 set is my personal favorite as far as '70's cards go. I only buy early fifties material but the Carlton Fisk card is one of my fav's. Great Set!
  • There is a nice complete graded set in Mile Highs auction . Any ideas at what would be a decent price for this? It looks like a nice one.
  • And we have quite possibly the strangest baseball card ever printed: Luis Alvarado on a playground.
  • How about Pat Corrales rolling around on his back in the Taco Bell uniform
  • Cheers to Mr G for getting this thread going. I'm
    looking to get this set 100% complete asap so
    I figure I'll post here and see if I can get any help
    from fellow registry collectors. My current set is listed
    below and I have several extra '73s to offer in trade
    so please click my link below and contact me if you can
    help me with the last few missing cards.

1973 Set
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    More love is needed for the '73 collectors.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Having seen more of this this set...my opinion of it has improved.

I still think the borders are nondescript, but the selection of photos is interesting. Did Topps get a lot of positive feedback on the inclusion of action photos in the 71 and 72 sets? There seems to have been a concentrated effort to feature them in this one.

• << <i>How about Pat Corrales rolling around on his back in the Taco Bell uniform >>

That's a good one.

There's also the Tug McGraw shot in his backyard with a crutch leaning against the shed.
  • Thanks for the e-mails and PM's. You guys are
    helping me get real close now. Still looking for
    a few more so I can finally get this set finished.
    Check out my set inventory from the post above
    and let me know what you have.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
  • I've always had special memories for this set. It was the first set I collected. I sorted out the cards by team and then would put each team into a baseball diamond figure. The NY Mets was the first team I had at each position. It's my first memory of collecting baseball cards and always brings a smile to my face. If I had the cash, I'd try to complete this set but my hands are in far too many other sets right now.
  • I have a small set at #5 on the master registry and would love to acquire anyones extra in psa 7 or 8 that I need.
    thanks Ron
  • I had to see for myself what some of these cards looked like. I love seeing the cars from the 70's in the picture.

imageimage
  • mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Here is one my blue checklists.

Very nice CL! Selling?

MrG
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
    I am going to keep this one. I hope to put a set of these together eventually.
    Honestly Mike, I wish you the best of luck putting together this bugger of a set!

Sadly I have the number one set with 10 of the 24 graded, and my best card is a PSA 7! I have 3 decent candidates to present in my next submission (out of 45 recently purchased), but I have no expectations of exceptional grades! I am hoping for 8s and will be overwhelmed by 9s. They are extremely tough to find period, and to find in good shape, woooff.....

Best of luck,
    MrG

Registering sets all as TGF Collection.
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
    I have the number 2 set with 2 cards out of 24 but I have a bunch to send in now. Most are probably in the ex to ex-mt range but it will complete the set. After that I can try to upgrade. Finding 8's in this set is near impossible. I was lucky to get the PSA 9. I have seen a few full sheets of these on ebay. I wondered if it was possible to cut those and get them graded.
    I have seen full sheets come up before, but have no reference on cutting and submitting.
    I would think that if you could get the proper measurements, a full sheet cutting would be beneficial.

How did you happen upon the Expos CL?
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
    It was just sitting out on ebay in a dealer's store for a long time. I really was just looking for a nice Pirates blue checklist. Also I was looking through the blue checklists that I want to get graded and the majority were OPC and not Topps. I just noticed that.
  • Well guys, I've decided to give up in my quest to finish this great set. At my peak, I think I had around 2/3rds of the set in about 8.15 GPA. After a couple of deals with board members, I'm down to just under 50% with a weighted GPA of 8.08. My set is listed in the Basic 1973 Topps Baseball category under "JMB's 1973 Topps Baseball Set" with 292 cards total.

While I'd certainly be very interested in selling the lot in total, I know that's probably very unlikely, so I'll happily break it up into smaller lots. I can provide references if interested - as I said, I've had many successful dealings with CU members in the past. Please send me a PM with any cards you're interested in - I'd much rather deal with board members than simply list the cards on eBay. Thanks.
  • I too have a nice lot of '73 cards that are
    available for either sale or trade. If anyone's
    interested, just PM or e-mail me. Thanks.

1973 Baseball lot
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
  • I now need 102 cards for my master set after a successful deal with MR five7teen anyone else have some extras psa 7's or 8's laying around gathering dust?

thanks Ron

Rons 1973 topps master set current finest #3
    This card went on ebay yesterday.

1973 Topps Team Checklist Boston Red Sox PSA 8 (1 of 1) Item number: 3700034325

This card is OPC as seen in the picture but PSA has this card listed as a Topps card. The card even has some French writing on the back. Does PSA not consider this a difference or is this another mechanical error? I have nearly complete set of each in for grading now and I listed each as OPC or Topps on the submission.
  • '73 Yankees Manager & Coaches - Ralph Houk (#116 - Solid Background) in PSA 9: If anyone out there has one of the 35 in existence and is willing to sell or trade for it, please let me know. It's the last card I need to complete my team set in 8 or better. Since it's the last card I need, I've decided to hold out for a 9 since the pop is not that low. I've been looking on ebay for ages and in all that time I've come across only one PSA, which was an 8. I have some Yankees dupes in 7 thru 9 if anyone is interested. Thanks!
  • FYI, I just listed a #12 Padres Mgr./Coaches (Podres has no right ear variation) PSA 10 on ebay starting at 9:00 a.m. PST today. It's a pop. 4; starting bid is only $49.99.
  • Cards sold
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    very nice checklist.
  • I've got a 7-card lot of '73 Topps Blue Team Checklists (all PSA 6 & 7 NQ) listed on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum for $89 delivered. First one to PM me gets the lot.

***SOLD***
  • Above 7-card lot of team blue border (autos) checklists (all PSA 6 & 7 NQ) now reduced to only $75 delivered! First one to PM me gets them!

***SOLD***
  • The following '73 Topps PSA 10 Yankees cards are up for sale (feel free to PM offers):

*SOLD*#82 Fritz Peterson (pop. 7) $85 delivered
    *SOLD*#116 Ralph Houk, Manager & Coaches (Natural Background) (pop. 8) $80 delivered
    *SOLD*#172 Steve Kline (pop. 6) $95 delivered
    *SOLD*#431 Gerry Moses (pop. 2) $155 delivered
    PM Sent
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    glad to see some activity towards this set.

Love 73s, but currently obsessed w/ 75 minis (sigh)!

J
    RIP GURU
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I need the Yankees Team card PSA 9. Can anyone help?
    gregmo32@aol.com or PM
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • 1973 Topps Yankees for sale (prices include delivery). First to PM me gets the cards of your choice. Buy three or more and get a 10% discount.

#343 PSA 9 Bobby Murcer (Boyhood Photos of the Stars) (one 10) $14
    #394 PSA 9 Sparky Lyle (pop 31, no 10's) $22
    #419 PSA 9 Casey Cox (pop 27, no 10's) $22
    #462 PSA 9 Ron Blomberg (pop 24, no 10's) $22
    #479 PSA 9 Hal Lanier (one 10) $14
    #556 PSA 8 Yankees Team $14
    #573 PSA 8.5 Fred Beene (pop 2, 17 higher) $14
    #608 PSA 8 Rookie Pitchers (Busby/Colpaert/Medich) (only 8 higher, no 10's) $25
    #634 PSA 9 Alan Closter (pop 26, one 10) $22
    #650 PSA 9 Felipe Alou (pop 18, no 10's) $42
  • Prices of Yankees cards listed above reduced!
  • lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Augustaman rocks!!!
    The Holy Grail of 1973 Topps is up for auction again: Mike Schmidt PSA10

And it's not so insignificant lil' brother: Del Unser 1of2 PSA9

Cheers,
    Michael
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    That Unser is the toughest card of the 70's, with possible exception of '76 Brett
    I've handled many, never even found one nice enough to grade an 8

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple of beauties! image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That Unser is the toughest card of the 70's, with possible exception of '76 Brett
    I've handled many, never even found one nice enough to grade an 8 >>

Don't know why Unser is so tough as he isn't a corner card like the 1976 Brett. He is a edge card (r1 column 2) so they are more likely to be O/C than others, John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    I still need a little less than 100 PSA 8 NQ 73's. I am not on the registry but I will gladly send anybody my list if they think they can help me out. Please PM. Thanks, Dean
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll have to check the condition of my Unser when I get home. It's not in my registry set and I've graded most of what I considered MINT or better. Hopefully it's at least in my NM-MT or better stack.
    Every Unser I have seen is OC, except for the PSA8 I have, and the PSA9 up for auction now. I have a 7 that would have graded 9OC, but I asked for No Qual.
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
    I recently cracked a Christmas gift GAI 7 1973 Rack pack. I should provide detailed evidence, but am so ashamed that I fail to believe that it is required! Since zero cards are centered in what was a special birthday gift from my wife to me, it continues to show me that I have not married a collector!

I indeed am happy with her love, but will continue to purchase cards on my own! I am so thankfull that MrH has offered me some special cards for a trade of my currect 1978 1 of 1's! It is indeed special, but I will not stop improving my 1978 set! It may not be #1, but will be #2 with distinction!

Cheers,
    MrG
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • anyone need some of these or any???

1973 Topps~~~~~ALL PSA 9~

#38 Mike Epstein

#42 Mike Andrews

#65 E.R.A. LEADERS- SOLD

#66 VICTORY LEADERS CARLTON/PERRY/WOOD- SOLD

#68 LEADING FIREMEN- SOLD