Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1973 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread

13»

Comments

• Unbelievable set!!! Holy Crap. Was that Michael Gayton's?
  • Dang, Dave's 73's are going for some big dollars. Outbid on all, and it's not even over. Congrats on the sale Dave! THE Dude.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Yep congrats Dave. Some of those final prices were eye popping, good for you! I bid on about 200 cards and won only 4 and all of those were pretty low profile cards. The low pops were through the roof!
  • I bid on the one card I needed to upgrade for my set...and, yeah...I was crushed by hundreds of dollars. Not even close.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ended up winning a handful but not many. Has anyone crunched the numbers to see what his set cumulatively sold for?
    Just heard back from Dave. The set ended at $86,300! Who would have thought 20 years ago that a 1973 set could command that kind of money?! I won a dozen or so cards out of a few hundred bids. I think I'll crack and resub some of my 8s to avoid going broke building a PSA 9 set. image
  • The final price realized was awesome. I gave up building this set in 9 a few years ago, and sold what I had through Rick Probstein. I'm building it again, but with 8's and "easy" PSA 9's. Unless Don Spence has an ebay name other than des1728. I didn't see him bid on any, or for that matter bid on anything in the last month.

<< <i>The final price realized was awesome. I gave up building this set in 9 a few years ago, and sold what I had through Rick Probstein. I'm building it again, but with 8's and "easy" PSA 9's. Unless Don Spence has an ebay name other than des1728. I didn't see him bid on any, or for that matter bid on anything in the last month. >>

Interesting. I wonder who won most of them? I figured Don was winning most of them.
  • Okay guys time to fess up image I was on radio silence throughout the auction and I ended up winning almost all the 10s. I believe my final tally was a substantial portion of the final price of the set so my budget is blown for a spell. But it was worth it! Thanks Dave - it was sad to see the set broken up but in the end most of the key cards will stay together and out of the hands of a dealer. My biggest thanks was for the fact that D. Spence sat this out because if he entered and challenged my snipes the final tally could have been epic!
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!

• << <i>

<< <i>The final price realized was awesome. I gave up building this set in 9 a few years ago, and sold what I had through Rick Probstein. I'm building it again, but with 8's and "easy" PSA 9's. Unless Don Spence has an ebay name other than des1728. I didn't see him bid on any, or for that matter bid on anything in the last month. >>

Interesting. I wonder who won most of them? I figured Don was winning most of them. >>

Not sure who won them from my sale with Probstein ... with one exception. Dave won a few, and sent some in for review, he ended up bumping some to 10's. Congrats on a great sale.
  • I got lucky and won like 17 of them - all nines and one ten. Felt I overpaid by about 10 to 15% collectively. The '73 and '74 sets are now so strong, and hopefully will continue to rise. Thanks Moondawg for buying a couple of my '79's on ebay recently. Good luck with all your sets.
  • Thanks Macboube - I won a ton of 10s, I believe I paid a fair price for most of them and got a couple of nice deals. I had to pay an extreme premium for some low pop 9s that have been eluding me for years - but I really expected those to command a huge premium so put in a high safety bid. Thanks for the 79s, it is the last set I am working on for the decade and unfortunately most of the cards I need are being sold by a person I refuse to buy from. Makes the set a bit tricky atm so any help is appreciated
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • I haven't been doing this that long, so I'm hoping someone might be able to educate me. I've noticed there are several sellers of high grade cards that list continually list the same cards over and over again with exorbitantly high starting bids or buy-it-now prices. There is one seller in particular that has a lot of 1973 PSA 9s listed.

Anyway, one day I just decided to check his feedback to see how many cards he could possibly be selling at these prices, and not surprisingly it's very few, maybe 3 or 4 a month. I guess my question is, what exactly is the selling strategy here? I can only assume it's to print very few sales at large margins, targeting 1) the novice buyer who doesn't realize he is overpaying by a lot or 2) the desperate buyer who needs the card quickly to help complete a registry set. Is that pretty much it, or am I missing something?

This thread may be more suited in the general section, but since I am focused on 1973s I thought I'd post it here, as well as maybe drum up some dialogue on this dormant board.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone needs/wants a pack fresh PSA 8.5 #20 Bahnsen with gap in left border for $85 dlvd, please PM me.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I just popped a PSA 9 Buddy Bell w/gap and PSA 8 Bahnsen w/gap. They are currently listed on ebay for way too much but I can come down some if anybody on the boards needs them.

Lee
  • Does anybody know anything about The Hill Collection? Seemed to come out nowhere on the 73 registry with an absolutely dominant set.
  • bumpskierbumpskier Posts: 64 ✭✭
    I think Hill bought that set from Donald Spence. Hill bought a number of Spence's sets and Thomas Tull bought a significant portion of Donald Spence's collection. I think Hill mostly bought sets from the mid 60's on and Tull bought most of the earlier sets.
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    GEM MINT 10 1973 Topps 368 Bill Buckner Card
    GEM MINT 10 1973 Topps 98 Dick Woodson Card
    MINT 9 1973 Topps 534 Dave Lemonds Card

Got a couple good cards today image
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
    Link...

Listed a bunch of very nice 73's. Ending tonight,,,
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    FYI,

You have Danny Walton pictured in your Luke Walker auction.
    Corrected, Thank you
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

There haven’t been any 1973 posts in five years! Doesn’t anyone love this set anymore? I am not on the registry because my set is mixed raw/graded, but I have picked up some really nice cards lately.

edited August 30, 2019 4:13PM
  • mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Good stuff. Just started to dip my toe in to this set. Along with the 72's, my earliest memories of collecting are from these sets.

fwiw, I was the underbidder on that Scherman. I think you got a good deal on that one. The fisheye on the Pitcher's leg discouraged me from going any higher.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973

@mrpeanut39 said:
    The fisheye on the Pitcher's leg discouraged me from going any higher.

For some reason fisheyes like this don’t really bother me.

Didn’t you think there were a lot of superior cards in that set break?

• RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@mrpeanut39 said:
    The fisheye on the Pitcher's leg discouraged me from going any higher.

For some reason fisheyes like this don’t really bother me.

Didn’t you think there were a lot of superior cards in that set break?

The Fisheye could very well be the baseball coming out of the black pitcher images hand :) I think it
    is in a very favorable spot on the card ! Does not detract one bit !
    Some very nice pickups .........and I agree ............so many threads died .........five years since someone posted about 1973's
    and a lot of those posters are no longer with us !!!!!
    Here's my '73 Brock

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

PaulMaul some very nice 73's you posted. Great set for sure. While I am not working on the set as I already have a mid-grade set I did recently pick up this 73 Bench.

I made an offer on that Bench when it was first listed, but it was declined. Congrats!

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    I made an offer on that Bench when it was first listed, but it was declined. Congrats!

I got declined as well but managed to get one to finally get accepted. Luckily I got some decent Ebay Bucks accumulated on this purchase.

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Great cards, but George Stone should have asked for a redo

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • I’m interested in commons in psa 8. Let me know what you have and price. Looking for larger lots if possible.

• Great set , one of the many I'm considering starting , almost feel I have to do this set in particular, since I was born in '73

• TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

@Blikemike2 said:
    I’m interested in commons in psa 8. Let me know what you have and price. Looking for larger lots if possible.

I have a large number of PSA 8's available. Send me a PM if interested. Many are high numbers, some HOF'ers. I can provide references. Just counted out 109 cards.

The Dude