Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1973 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread

Comments

• Reply sent...sounds good!
  • DONE DEAL- I HAVE THREE CARDS LEFT! THANK YOU FOLKS!
  • Thanks again!! Got my cards today and they look great!!
  • tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    Looking for these 73's in PSA 8 and maybe higher if I can afford it. PM if you can help! Dean

131 Eddie Kasko
    173 Hal Breeden
    245 Yaz
    283 Ray Sadecki
    310 Dick Allen
    316 Padres Team Card
    322 Garry Maddox
    356 Chuck Tanner
    363 Jackie Hernandez
    370 Willie Stargell
    472 Lou Gehrig
    473 Hank Aaron
    477 Cy Young
    547 Bobby Heise
    549 Whitey Herzog
    561 Jim Geddes
    596 Red Sox Team Card
    650 Felipe Alou
    654 Twins Team Card

• IMO The 1973 is the most cheaply made set of all the Topps "vintage sets". The paper is of poor, poor quality, the design is unimaginative and the high numbers contain no stars (at the time of printing).

I had heard that Topps was having some financial difficulties at that time, so maybe thats why the went to a poor quality (cheaper) paper stock.
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • MrGMrG Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    That's when I was collecting using paper route money, so wasn't my fault! image
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO The 1973 is the most cheaply made set of all the Topps "vintage sets". The paper is of poor, poor quality, the design is unimaginative and the high numbers contain no stars (at the time of printing).

I had heard that Topps was having some financial difficulties at that time, so maybe thats why the went to a poor quality (cheaper) paper stock. >>

All of this may be true, but I still love all of the action shots. I'm thinking specifically of the Didier and Corrales. I'm sure others have their own personal favorites.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
    Gotta love those taco bell uniforms.
  • mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    The 70s had their share of truly ugly uniforms and those Padre unis were near the top of the list.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Hear you BUT that poor quality airbrushing makes the set very amaturish. Looks like a third grader could have done better job.
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Love the 73 set...and am getting close to 40% complete PSA 8 and higher. The Clemente is by far my favorite card of that decade. I dig the the weird far off horizontal action shots and the strange photo choices like the Garvey card. I like it for exactly the reasons some people hate it.
    I always said that it was so ugly that a set in 8 or above would be a thing of beauty to own and I am getting pretty darn close to completing it.
  • Is it possible to put this set together raw with perfect centering?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Yes....
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very tough to find higher end cards with perfect centering on back as well as front..

As an unopened collector, the 1973 Topps baseball cello pack is one of my all-time favorite packs to own.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Anybody still working on this set? I'm trying to put it together in 9's or better, there are some mighty tough cards to find in high grade. Hoping someone on the board can help out with a few that I need, think I'm down to needing 39 more, and I do have one of the Unsers.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
    Anyone with PSA graded 1973 Topps Blue Team Checklists or anyone that has a stash that they need to send in for grading, look at these latest prices:

1973 Topps Team Checklist Oakland A's PSA 8 NM-MT
    1973 Topps Team Checklist Cleveland Indians PSA 8 NM-MT
    1973 Topps Team Checklist San Diego Padres PSA 8 NM-MT

Makes me want to break up my set!

MrG
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • I got one of them, the Texas checklist in an 8. Thought they would go in the $125 range, really surprised by the $225+ prices.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
    Since the recent 73 CL's did so well on the bay, I thought I would try to move all of my lower grade dupes. Listed to sell in my eBay store over the 2nd & 4th Sunday's in May. Apologies for the spam and thanks for looking!

Cheers,
    Michael
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
    Anyone got anything new to show?
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    I'm down to my last 14 cards for the set. Hoping to have it completed by the end of the month!
  • From several weeks ago.

2 to go for me plus a few upgrades.

My favorite ball players throughout the years: Hank Aaron, Dale Murphy, Ellis Burks, Lance Berkman
  • bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    Just picked this one up.
    ~WalterSobchak
    Great Yaz and Perez...well done fellas.
  • That Yaz is awesome. The Perez is unbelievable. The white borders look pristine
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are dynamite!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Evans Rookie

Am I crazy or does the top left corner of this 8 look really awful?
    It's not rounded, but it is a very dark (dirty) corner.
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    I was going to go after the Brewers checklist pretty hard, but I thought it was a very generous looking 8. These are getting some pretty serious cash lately, wish I owned a few more (4) 8's than I do
    ~WalterSobchak
    With 91 PSA 8's as of yesterday, you would think they would be more plentiful and cheaper! I am up to 6 of them in PSA 8, and I got 3 of the on my own free submissions, and I have $476 in the other 3!

There POP is growing a small number per month, so here's hoping that more higher grade cards can be found. Would be nice to find a big stash somewhere for sure!
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I just came across this #237 Eddie Mathews. If I'm not mistaken, this is a brown background with Burdette's right ear showing. I can't seem to find any pricing info on this and all of the past sales I've seen with the ear showing are orange background. Is this a tough card? What should it go for? Thanks in advance, obviously I'm not a 73 expert.

Lee

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I have the brown with the ear, like the one you show, and an orange without the ear, both of which are easy to find. Was not aware of an orange with the ear
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
    Hi Lee,

The card scan you have provided is a 1973 Topps #237 Brown/Natural Background or Burdette Right Ear Showing variation. Historically, PSA has not been consistent on the variation descriptions of the 1973 Manager cards. Sometimes a description will be determined by the grader and his knowledge level of 1973 Topps Manager variations, or (in most cases) it is determined by what is listed on the submission form. As a result, the PSA Pop Report for the 1973 Manager cards may never be accurate. I have purchased a number of incorrectly labeled graded cards as they have become available in an attempt to remove them from circulation until they can be resubmitted for an accurate flip. This has not been an easy task over the last 18 months as more collectors are collecting the 1973 Topps set.

I have found three variations of the #237 Braves Manager/Coaches card, but unfortunately SCD, which owns the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards has only identified two of these variations. I had emailed Bob Lemke regarding this issue a number of years ago, but now that he has retired, I will need to start over in getting the third 1973 variation included.

I have included scans of the three variations below. These are from my 1973 Topps RAW Master set, and are not from my 1973 graded card collection.

1973 Topps #237 Braves Manager/Coaches, Eddie Matthews Manager, Lew Burdette Right Ear Showing (Brown or Natural Background)

1973 Topps #237 Braves Manager/Coaches, Eddie Matthews Manager, Lew Burdette Right Ear Showing (Orange or Solid Background)

1973 Topps #237 Braves Manager/Coaches, Eddie Matthews Manager, Lew Burdette Right Ear Not Showing (Orange or Solid Background)

Prices have been all over the place. I recently sent messages to 3 eBay sellers who had incorrect descriptions, and had 1 of 1 listed on their auctions. These were of this card, the #179 Oakland A's, and #257 New York Mets, which there are also 3 known variations, but only two listed in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards.

Hope this helps.
    Michael
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    That does help me , Michael...thanks
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Thanks for the responses, I now have a better understanding of the variations.

Lee
  • parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    just to clarify, i checked and i have two - orange with ear and orange without ear. dang - now i gotta find a brown one.
    Link to Probstein 1973 Topps PSA Baseball Auctions HERE

Link to PWCC 1973 Topps PSA Baseball Auctions HERE
    Michael Gaytan (MrG)
    TGF Collection
    TGF Sports
  • Bump. Here is an updated list of cards I am looking to purchase in order to complete my set. If you have any for sale, please contact me at agelboim@yahoo.com. Thanks!

131 RED SOX LEADERS 8
    141 BRUCE KISON 8
    264 CHECKLIST 133-264 8
    298 RON BRYANT 8
    353 STEVE BRYE 8
    377 EXPOS MGR. 8
    397 DAVE CASH 8
    420 TOMMIE AGEE 8
    424 DENNY DOYLE 8
    427 RICK AUERBACK 8
    428 WAYNE SIMPSON 8
    469 DAN MONZON 8
    524 GENE TENACE 8
    556 YANKEES TEAM RECORDS 8
    593 ROYALS MGR. 8
    594 VIC HARRIS 8
    595 DON GULLETT 8
    641 REDS TEAM 8
    650 FELIPE ALOU 8

296 SPARKY ANDERSON 8 or 9
    323 TIGERS MGR./COACHES 8 or 9
    634 ALAN CLOSTER 8 or 9
    638 KEN REYNOLDS 8 or 9
    656 JOHN ELLIS 8 or 9

26 PIRATES TEAM 9
    231 BILL PARSONS 9
    233 ED KIRKPATRICK 9
    246 KEN SANDERS 9
    266 MIKE LUM 9
    273 CHRIS SPEIER 9
    297 WALT WILLIAMS 9
    321 RICH HINTON 9
    331 CARL MORTON 9
    386 DON MONEY 9
    404 CHUCK BRINKMAN 9
    461 MIKE CORKINS 9
    464 CUBS TEAM 9
    465 DAVE GIUSTI 9
    476 WALTER JOHNSON 9
    480 JUAN MARICHAL 9
    503 PHIL NIEKRO 9
    517 PIRATES MGR 9
    536 PHILLIES TEAM 9
    538 JIM HART 9
    585 JOE NIEKRO 9
    640 DICK BOSMAN 9
    652 TED KUBIAK 9
  • Please check out the 1973 Topps cards in the current Sirius Sports Cards auction! http://siriussportsauctions.com/catalog.aspx
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I am still looking for the blue checklist in nm or better if someone has any.
  • Hey all, I need the following coaches variations in PSA 7 or above...desperately! Can anyone help a brother out? Will pay any premium.
    136a (brown bkgd)
    179a (left ear or Nat'l bkgrd)
    237a (right ear)
    257a (Dk pale bkgrnd)
    449b (round ear)
    486a (dark pale)
    thanks!
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • have a pop 1 #636 Clark PSA 10 available if anyone is interested? LMK, Mark
    MARK AGGSON
    Collecting Pete Rose Cello Packs
    Pete Rose Master set ranking #4(Retired)
  • Mark - here is a tip from ShreveBo....just auction the card. People aren't going to make some stupid offer for a common. Let the market decide.

Or....sit on it and someone else will get a 10 and then you will have a pop 2 and lose money. Have at it.
  • BasherBoyBasherBoy Posts: 510 ✭✭
    Not a high end guy really, but trying to work on my 73 Topps set (year of my birth) Looking for PSA 8/9. I have some extras if anybody can use them, would love to trade. Below are my extras, if you have any extras to trade lmk. Thought I'd check here before getting rid of the extras.

1973 TOPPS EXTRAS
    #8 TOM HALL PSA 8
    #17 FRED GLADDING PSA 7 & 8
    #19 TIM FOLI PSA 8
    #27 BILL GOGOLEWSKI PSA 8
    #28 HAL McRAE PSA 8
    #29 TONY TAYLOR PSA 8
    #33 JIM BREAZEALE PSA 8
    #34 PAT DOBSON PSA 8
    #46 LINDY McDANIEL PSA 8
    #47 LUIS MELENDEZ PSA 8
    #48 PAUL SPLITTORFF PSA 8
    #52 DENIS MENKE PSA 8
    #69 PHIL GAGLIANO PSA 8
    #74 BILLY CHAMPION PSA 8
    #83 LERON LEE PSA 8
    #86 TOM McCRAW PSA 8.5
    #89 JOHN BILLINGHAM PSA 8
    #94 DICK BILLINGS PSA 8
    #120 JOE COLEMAN PSA 8
    #124 JIM HARDIN PSA 8
    #139 CARMEN FANZONE PSA 8
    #152 DAVE MAY PSA 8
    #159 CLARENCE GASTON PSA 7
    #212 JOE LAHOUD PSA 8
    #244 ED ACOSTA PSA 8
    #248 JERRY JOHNSON PSA 8
    #253 MARK BELANGER PSA 8
    #254 BILL STONEMAN PSA 8
    #267 LLOYD ALLEN PSA 8
    #281 MIKE JORGENSEN PSA 8
    #294 STEVE ARLIN PSA 7
    #297 WALT WILLIAMS PSA 8
    #314 RON SWOBODA PSA 6
    #321 RICH HINTON PSA 8
    #348 RENNIE STENNETT PSA 8
    #379 CY ACOSTA PSA 8
    #403 SONNY JACKSON PSA 6
    #421 ANGELS COACHES PSA 7
    #423 JOHNNY JETER PSA 8
    #454 TOM HALLER PSA 8
    #461 MIKE CORKINS PSA 7
    #463 KEN TATUM PSA 8.5
    #510 AMOS OTIS PSA 8
    #544 VON JOSHUA PSA 8
    #629 INDIANS TEAM PSA 8

Need PSA Indians/Browns
  • Does anyone happen to have any duplicates (PSA 8 or better) for any of the following 1973 Topps manager variation cards? I am oh-so-close to finishing my '73 set and would certainly appreciate any help in locating these cards! I am willing to pay a more than fair price. Many thanks in advance.

136 ORIOLES MGR./COACHES BROWN BACKGROUND
    237 BRAVES MGR./COACHES BURDETTE RIGHT EAR SHOW
    449 INDIANS MGR./COACHES/SPAHNS EAR POINTED
  • Looks like Apple383 is doing a huge 1973 Topps PSA set break on eBay.
  • dave? dave. DAVE. DAVE!!!
    You are breaking my heart brother! Why?
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Is that set listed on the registry? If so what set is it?
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is that set listed on the registry? If so what set is it? >>

It is and it's the #1 ranked set. I have a feeling Mr. Spence will be moving to #1 and solidifying his position from these auctions. image