Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Okay...What do you REALLY think of "Michael"?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Haha I love his off-color comments and little witticisms.

He better stay around forever!
  • Options

<< <i>Who's Michael ? image >>

Just look for the Pokemon.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael is an excellent source of knowlege. I always look forward to reading his posts and to his replies in my threads.
  • Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
    Michael put me through a numismatic "quiz" once. He asked me about the value of several major rarities. I fished around several standard web sources and gave him the best data I could come up with. After I gave him all the "values" I could come up with, I decided to ask him why he needed the info. He told me he OWNED the coins I researched.

WOW!

I'm still not sure what that was all about, but if true, he owns some great stuff.
  • Options
    Course edges have their uses. Michael is on the short list of posters whose threads I always read.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><< Stop being politically correct. He's an idiot and should stop posting. >> >>

<< <i>If you think that, you either don't know coins or him. >>

I agree. Michael might SEEM to be an idiot, because he is hands-down one of the worst typists I have ever encountered, and one of the worst spellers.

HOWEVER, if you underestimate him based on these criteria, you're judging the book by its cover. Michael shared a lot of detailed information with me about the specific history and survival figures, etc, of the 1860 three-dollar gold piece, once. I have a holed example on my Holey Gold Hat. It's a wretched coin from a serious numismatist's stance, but a rather tough piece, and I am proud to have a holey one on my hat. (It's the only $3 I have ever owned.) Michael told me all about why he liked the 1860, specifically. It is obvious he knew what he was talking about. He also sent me some literature on it.

Look past the bad typing and the quirks- there's a great mind, there. Some folks say the late Walter Breen was a numismatic genius, too, and heaven knows he had his flaws. At least Michael's flaws don't match Breen's. (Edit: I see the wise Shiroh-san already made this observation.)

These forums are a vast community, with a wide and varied cast of characters. Some are abrasive, some silly, some wise, some stupid. Many of us are a combination of all those traits, good and bad. "Intolerant" shouldn't be one of those traits. >>

I've contacted michael from time to time asking questions and he's always responded and given me he's given me opinion I value.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>michael knows coins! When michael talks I
    listen!

image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    I had the chance to meet Michael at the recent FUN Show. He is a good guy and is a font of numismatic Knowledge. He looked at a box of my coins at the show and picked out one Proof Indian Cent and proceeded to tell me what a nice coin it was and why it was special. He spent ten minutes explaining to me why the coin was special. He will also tell you if a coin is a POS and why it is a POS! He is refreshingly honest and frank in his opinions, and I enjoyed meeting with him and going over auction lots.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do I REALLY think of "Michael"?

He is a class act. A real and passionate numismatist. I like numismatists who have passion for the hobby.

Sure we have agreed on 98% of topics and also have privately issued each other strong and passionate words of disagreement on 2% of the topics. Then again, what would our chat room be like without real passion?

Carry on, Michael.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I once e-mailed Michael about two coins that I was going to submit for grading. I described the coins the best I could to him. When the coins returned from grading he hit the nail on the head and had correctly guessed the grades of the coins without ever seeing them!!!
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Mike is top-notch---will we be having the weekly forum roasts from now on or is this only a one time thing?-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>Personally, I think Michael is being misunderstood more often than not. However, here's a place where you can note your opinion...or not. >>

I think you are right he is just misunderstood.

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    michael has made it to my top five list of people I most respect and consider true friends.

his knowledge of coins, world affairs, his passion to help kids and share his knowledge with them...i could go on and on

I consider him one of my best friends, and would fight tooth and nail to defend him..

if he actually ever needed me to, but i doubt that will ever happen as he is quite capable of defending himself

you rock dude image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Michael needs no explaining nor defending. Nevertheless for the record:
    He is a world class numismatist and a generous guy.
    Anyone on this forum would be lucky to have him consider you a friend.
    Trime
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I REALLY think Michael is astute, knowledgeable, and a gentleman. After reading this post, I went back and reread my PMs with Michael, realized that I had lost touch with him a bit, and was missing out on his valuable insights which he took the time to share with me. Thanks for reminding me.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I skip over his posts as he won't the quote feature. I try to scan the boards quickly and it's too much time consuming to figure out what he's added to the jumble of text he cuts and pastes.
  • Options
    This is a very strange thread. I think if Michael wants to know how his fellow forum members feel about his contributions to the forum he can turn on his member rating. Michael is a worthy contributor, as are many others. I bet he is finding this public airing of members views to be embarrassing. I wonder what the OPs motivation is.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I once e-mailed Michael about two coins that I was going to submit for grading. I described the coins the best I could to him. When the coins returned from grading he hit the nail on the head and had correctly guessed the grades of the coins without ever seeing them!!! >>

image a clairvoyant, too
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Michael is an honest, sincere guy who doesn't let public opinion get in the way of his expressing his opinion.
  • Options
    OK, Michael gets a hands up from everybody I respect except dheath. I love diversity and think Michael should understand that dheath is a good guy who I respect.

Anyway this would be an extremely embarassing thread if it were about me. I, personally, have learned a lot about coins from Michael. Good thing he didn't post any cartoons! Geez, you could get a big bounty on your head for printing a cartoon about a bomb on your head....
  • Options
    I'm new to this board and should probably be keeping my fingers off of these keys right now, but...
    I'm still waiting to see what the reasoning behind this thread is.
    I would imagine that he is quite humbled by everyone's response, and also quite embarrassed to be put up on stage without asking to be.

Prethen. What gives?
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm new to this board and should probably be keeping my fingers off of these keys right now, but...
    I'm still waiting to see what the reasoning behind this thread is.
    I would imagine that he is quite humbled by everyone's response, and also quite embarrassed to be put up on stage without asking to be.

Prethen. What gives? >>

It's hard to put into words. I truly believe that he has some very strong numismatic knowledge and perhaps his passion gets in the way. In light of some recent threads that have certain folks bashing him, I was wondering what others might be thinking. I don't believe he deserves to be bashed and misconstrued, but I also don't see others responding with any comments otherwise in those threads. And, no, I don't plan on linking those threads to here.

And, no, he's not embarrassed by this thread. He's a very outspoken individual and has no problem with such a thread. Some people here have said some hurtful things towards him. It's simply not cool. This is a forum. This is about coins...not politics....just coins. This is an individual who LIVES for coins. I was curious as to who really knew that. That's all. No alterior motives.

Bruce
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael's knowledge and coins and love of the hobby is fathomless--at least so far as I've had the fortune to fathom them. He's taught me a great deal, and has always been amazingly generous with his time and wisdom about the hobby.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    It's hard to put into words. I truly believe that he has some very strong numismatic knowledge and perhaps his passion gets in the way. In light of some recent threads that have certain folks bashing him, I was wondering what others might be thinking. I don't believe he deserves to be bashed and misconstrued, but I also don't see others responding with any comments otherwise in those threads. And, no, I don't plan on linking those threads to here.

And, no, he's not embarrassed by this thread. He's a very outspoken individual and has no problem with such a thread. Some people here have said some hurtful things towards him. It's simply not cool. This is a forum. This is about coins...not politics....just coins. This is an individual who LIVES for coins. I was curious as to who really knew that. That's all. No alterior motives.

Bruce >>

Michael finds it impossible to stay away from threads about moderns and usually con-
    tributes nothing except to chastise those who collect, deal, or grade these coins. This
    rubs some people the wrong way. He has rarely been attacked or insulted (if ever), but
    he hasn't hesitated to question others' motives, sanity, and honesty.

Michael may well have a lot of passion for coins and be quite knowledgeable. But it's not
    cool to belittle other people and their passions either. This is the reason he really has on-
    ly a 20% vote. And I agree with others who have suggested this sort of poll isn't appropr-
    iate here. I'm sure I'd worry about how well I'd do on such a vote.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    wow thnaks for the thread prethan!!

and all the great replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no ulterier motive and i actually like the thread and poll maybe it will open up better dialogue and communication and more friendship

and all the honest replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

myself i am not embarrased

but the only thing i care about is just to interact and talk coins

it is a free forums and anyone can post any opinion they want to ......myself i could care less you give your opinion and we can all agree to disagree then back to coinage

but i do care about the collector being able to buy coins that are opportunity and values that are truly scarce and not hyped and coins that after collecting they will be able to not get hurt and lose money in the coin game if they choose to exit it or at the very least to come out even overall if not ahead??????

and not to be sold something only to find out later it is overpriced damaged or over plasticized

so it does not affect ot hurt their fiunancial or mental situation and also if all collectors become informed and understand what they are looking at for themselves and be able to evualate coins and also price coins by themselves

then this will put affectively out of business all the coin seller fu**ers in the coin game now i am not so foolish as to think this will happen but we can put a big dent in them

parish the thought.......................................................

and if you do not like me or the way i type then just pass me by and do not read my posts

life is all about choices i hope you all make all the right ones
  • Options
    oh image , that michael ... I didn't think you were a clairvoyant, I was just kidding.

Okay, my turn...what do you really think of me ?

Just remember....

before you criticize another, you should walk a mile in their shoes.... then you will be a mile away and you will have their shoes image
  • Options
    now personally myself i think michael

on the inside he is extremely precuoices precochous or however you spells it
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭
    My my my

my my my my my my my my my

Keep up the good work Michael! image
  • Options

TwoSides2aCoin
    Veteran

Sunday February 19, 2006 8:31 PM

well personally ..................i like you!! i REALLY like you

now i will tell you this if you are young early 20;s and really pretty and slender i must admit i would like you even more..................... i am a little shallow but in the end i will come to my senses and what will count to me is inner beauty
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    I like michael. I do, however, wish that he would learn the fine art of simple punctuation. image
  • Options

<< <i>TwoSides2aCoin
    Veteran

Sunday February 19, 2006 8:31 PM

well personally ..................i like you!! i REALLY like you

now i will tell you this if you are young early 20;s and really pretty and slender i must admit i would like you even more..................... i am a little shallow but in the end i will come to my senses and what will count to me is inner beauty >>

LOL , ha ha ha.... yer a funny guy. You are describing my daughter, not me....so don't write anything that might make me want to tear your arm off and beat you with it, okay image.....LOL.... just kidding, I can take a joke, ...I'm here, right ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file