Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL: Okay...What do you REALLY think of "Michael"?

Personally, I think Michael is being misunderstood more often than not. However, here's a place where you can note your opinion...or not.

Comments

• Options
    Michael is an original, and I'm always interested in what he has to say image
  • Options
    Michael is fun. He can say the most outrageous things without ever being offensive. image
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Michael is fun. He can say the most outrageous things without ever being offensive. image >>

He can also say the most offensive things without being outrageous!image

Michael is a living a breathing numismatic encyclopedia. I would bet that he's forgotten more than ANYONE here has ever known.

• Options
    I thought Mr. Hall was going to ban him.

homerunhall
    Collector

Thursday December 01, 2005 5:26 PM

Michael,

You just stated that major bulk submitters get a break in terms of grade at PCGS. I am at PCGS every day and know for a fact that the graders do not know whose coins they are grading. You have lied about our company. This is not acceptable. Prove your statement or leave the board.

David Hall

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i always read his posts.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Michael has gas problem.image
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pay attention to what Michael says about coins.

But, if even Laura can fix her spelling, then there is NO EXCUSE for Michael image
  • Options

<< <i>Michael has gas problem.image >>

Just one image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I think Michael is being misunderstood more often than not. However, here's a place where you can note your opinion...or not. >>

Michael DOES write like a four-year-old, but he certainly ain't an idiot. He is a supremely knowledgeable fellow. His poor typing and spelling originally threw me off and caused me to underestimate him at first, until I learned of his numismatic wisdom.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he's a GAS!! image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My my my my my my my my my...

...Michael's OK.

<< <i>He's extremely knowledgable and should be listened to very carefully >>

Now, if we could just get him to post about more than one subject per forum. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    michael
    Choose Your Title

-------------------------
    Posts are based on experience and are opinion only. Experiences and opinions of others may differ.

When you buy modern coins in slabs, you either pay a lot of money for slabs, which is a waste, or you pay a lot of money for high grades and cameo designations. Leave the registry competition to those who have a lot of money, or those who want to live in a state of constant dissatisfaction.

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I think Michael is likely a great numismatist, and is respected by some in this business that really know their stuff. I think his heart is also likely in the right place when he blurt out his rants in modern threads. Unfortunately, he only knows whats wrong with moderns, and sees nothing right with them. It takes alot of the fun out of posting anything I feel like discussing. JMO

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    michael
    Choose Your Title

Yeah, he always does that. Whats up with that?
  • Options
    Is he related to

DENNY CRANE

• Options
    Don and FullHorn, I don't think Michael has a problem with modern coins, but rather, with what some dealers who wont make two way markets, charge for them.image
  • Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gotta love Shatner

<< <i>DENNY CRANE >>

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Micheal is great image

at first, his stream-of-conscienceness writing style threw me off..

but his wisdom has sunk in. Does tend to repeat himself ala dorkkarl, but that's ok

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Michael loves early coins he makes me laugh with his off beat humor and frankness...he's my image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Michael's a great guy. As long as he stays clear of Breen's issues, he'll be a great numismatic encyclopedia to have around. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Michael is a numismatic treasure and a great guy. The forum is fortunate to have him as a contributor. His writing style doesn't bother me at all; a genius should have an eccentricity or two. image
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭
    Stop being politically correct. He's an idiot and should stop posting.
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don and FullHorn, I don't think Michael has a problem with modern coins, but rather, with what some dealers who wont make two way markets, charge for them.image >>

I believe that's precisely his point and it can be hard to get across.
  • Options

<< <i>Stop being politically correct. He's an idiot and should stop posting. >>

If you think that, you either don't know coins or him.
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    i think that

michael is a great

asset to these forums and

his comments are full of wisdom

as well as wit and entertainment

he also fears no discussion.

But really, great guy from what I've observed image.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael is not only a great person outside the hobby. He is a greaet source of knowlege in the hobby on these boards. I give him two thumbs up!

Tbig
  • Options
    If you think that, you either don't know coins or him

Feld,

I must not know him like you do... He certainly has the phrase "better numismatic pre 1933 north american gold coinage" down cold.

Can you point out one of his interesting or informative comments to me? I must have missed them...
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Michael's a great guy on and off the forum, and he does a lot to help other people, especially those less fortunate among us. Also, he's a numismatic encyclopedia, as has already been mentioned. I also appreciate and respect his frankness and honesty. I have a lot of respect for him.....

......just be careful if you open one of his Open Forum threads!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    <<Feld,

I must not know him like you do... He certainly has the phrase "better numismatic pre 1933 north american gold coinage" down cold.

Can you point out one of his interesting or informative comments to me? I must have missed them... >>

Turb (since we're apparently on a last name basis), you can find his comments as easily as I can if you really care to read them. From your two posts to this thread, I doubt that's the case, though. By the way, most of his comments speak about coins other than "better numismatic pre 1933 north american gold coinage".
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have great respect for people who tell it the way they see it.

And yes Preturb, I think you missed them.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i><< Stop being politically correct. He's an idiot and should stop posting. >> >>

<< <i>If you think that, you either don't know coins or him. >>

I agree. Michael might SEEM to be an idiot, because he is hands-down one of the worst typists I have ever encountered, and one of the worst spellers.

HOWEVER, if you underestimate him based on these criteria, you're judging the book by its cover. Michael shared a lot of detailed information with me about the specific history and survival figures, etc, of the 1860 three-dollar gold piece, once. I have a holed example on my Holey Gold Hat. It's a wretched coin from a serious numismatist's stance, but a rather tough piece, and I am proud to have a holey one on my hat. (It's the only $3 I have ever owned.) Michael told me all about why he liked the 1860, specifically. It is obvious he knew what he was talking about. He also sent me some literature on it.

Look past the bad typing and the quirks- there's a great mind, there. Some folks say the late Walter Breen was a numismatic genius, too, and heaven knows he had his flaws. At least Michael's flaws don't match Breen's. (Edit: I see the wise Shiroh-san already made this observation.)

These forums are a vast community, with a wide and varied cast of characters. Some are abrasive, some silly, some wise, some stupid. Many of us are a combination of all those traits, good and bad. "Intolerant" shouldn't be one of those traits.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care for poll-style popularity contests, but since you ask --

He's A-OK with me.
    mirabela
  • Options
    Ok, sounds like I need to pay more attention...
  • Options

<< <i>I don't really care for poll-style popularity contests, but since you ask --

He's A-OK with me. >>

Oh, but wouldn't you wanna be a fly on the wall, reading a thread about yourself? I would.

Or maybe not.

Nah, I think I would, scary though it might be.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...

HOWEVER, if you underestimate him based on these criteria, you're judging the book by its cover. Michael shared a lot of detailed information with me about the specific history and survival figures, etc, of the 1860 three-dollar gold piece, once. I have a holed example on my Holey Gold Hat. It's a wretched coin from a serious numismatist's stance, but a rather tough piece, and I am proud to have a holey one on my hat. (It's the only $3 I have ever owned.) Michael told me all about why he liked the 1860, specifically. It is obvious he knew what he was talking about. He also sent me some literature on it.

These forums are a vast community, with a wide and varied cast of characters. Some are abrasive, some silly, some wise, some stupid. Many of us are a combination of all those traits, good and bad. "Intolerant" shouldn't be one of those traits. >>

Believe it or not, he also knows something about moderns.

I agree that "intolerant" is one of the worst traits to have on the boards and for the main part Michael is also "tolerant".

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    I think he has a good knowledge about coins ,and look forward to his posts.He's alright in my book.
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    as many of you, I too underestimated him. We have exchanged some PMs re. Saints and he knows his stuff!!

That said, he sure loves describing his gastrointestinal issues in WAAAAY too much detail.image
  • Options
    I think the comments/comparisons about michael and Breen are a little tacky, although I understand they're completely in jest image
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Michael is one of the best contributors to this forum, hands down, and someone I call my friend.

He is outspoken, knowledgable, and honest to a fault. This rubs some people the wrong way.

What many don't know about Michael is just how giving of a person he is.

The world would be a better place with more people like Michael in it...Mike

p.s. BAM!
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael's golden and if you knew the good he did, outside of coins, and behind the scenes to better the world, the negative comments posted here would rapidly turn positive.

peacockcoins

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I think he is probably knowledgable. I just think he shouldn't have held the baby out the window. image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    I've never had a problem with michael. He should be able to state his opinion. Don't we all have that right? He's A Ok in my bookimage
  • Options
    So, why do you think this thread was startedimage
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't really care for poll-style popularity contests, but since you ask --

He's A-OK with me. >>

Agree !! with the above.

Now on to Michael. Many times I just cannot figure out what he is trying to say. Outside of that he is one of the old time forum members and that is cool.

Ken
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    I like Michael and his input.

Plus he's a breath of fresh air even though he occasionally has gas.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I like michael and I appreciate the information he's shared here on the boards and via PM.

My only complaint is it's been a very long time since we've seen some coins from the "Eastern Collection". image

image michael

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always listen to what he says.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    michael knows coins! When michael talks I
    listen!

image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image!image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who's Michael ? image
  • Options

<< <i><<Feld,

Can you point out one of his interesting or informative comments to me? I must have missed them... >>

Turb (since we're apparently on a last name basis), you can find his comments as easily as I can if you really care to read them. From your two posts to this thread, I doubt that's the case, though. By the way, most of his comments speak about coins other than "better numismatic pre 1933 north american gold coinage". >>

and since you're on a FIRST name basis, who the h3ll is Michael????? (it WAS one of the choices).image
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file