Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So What Do You Think NGC Graded This Large Sized Capped Bust Quarter? *Grade and comments posted und

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thought I'd throw this up here for the heck of it. These are so tough to find. Even tougher than the Capped Bust halves.
I will also go out on a limb and say in my opinion this piece is completely original. And I don't say that too often these
days with Bust material. It has very attractive luster as well as being nice and crusty/crunchy.image
So what you think NGC said about this one? Keep in mind it's a quarter, and much smaller than this huge image that
mgoodm3 did such a nice job on.

Thanks for all the good words folks. The most obvious wear is on the ribbon to the left of the clasp, the outside upper edge of the
left wing facing, and the eagles talons.
Some of the other high areas is almost nothing, again figure how huge this image is.
I happen to agree with the AU-58 grade NGC gave it. This wasn't graded
recently, and I suspect it could go up if submitted a couple times (basically a crap shoot). It won't be by me though. I like it in the correctly graded holder. And grades on the holder are forgotten by me once I purchase. Once in a while I'll throw one up here for fun though.
And BTW, the flavor holder was not even a thought when purchasing this piece.
Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    55?
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I really like the look of that one too!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice B4 quarter ST. I'd hazard to guess AU50. He really did a great job with the photos and the color. Night and day difference between this photo and the earlier one. Makes me want to send him my 1832 that has killer colors but every time I photograph it the thing comes out looking blotchy and nasty.
  • Options
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a high end AU from what I can tell re the image. These coins are tough to grade because of the open collar strike. There appears to be some slight wear in the curls opposite the neck. Ditto re the clasp, curls above the clap and the hair below RTY. On the reverse, you see some wear on the wingtips and the egale's neck.

I like the consistency of the coin's color its surfaces.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    I think my favorite part of this coin is the "mole" of a centering dot on the obverse image
  • Options

<< <i>I think my favorite part of this coin is the "mole" of a centering dot on the obverse image >>

Thanks manimage it's a piece of food.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think my favorite part of this coin is the "mole" of a centering dot on the obverse image >>

Thanks manimage it's a piece of food. >>

If it is, it's a 184 year old piece of food lol
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    AU58
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    AU-53 But a beautiful coin anyone would love to own.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Spectacular coin! image

AU55, but worth more than AU55 money!! Could go NGC AU58.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Stman

Very nice. Could go as high as MS 62, and if it is not MS, then AU58.

Congrats !!
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Great coin!

I would grade it a 58

With luck you got a 60! image

Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭
    AU50.............

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    Looks AU-53. I only say this because it looks a lot like something I just got back. Im sure its one of those expensive die-varietys because I remember reading about it somewhere before. That little spot on the neck is the dead giveaway. Since you mentioned it was in an NGC holder,
    it could probably be a 58. I really like the 1821simage
    Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    That's one of those au/58-ms/62 no man's land type of grade coins.

Wonderful surfaces and great eye appeal.

I really like it.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin. It looks very original and I woudl make a guess of MS63.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Very nice dirty old coin. My bust coinage novice guess is AU55. I have no clue what NGC graded it.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Coin looks AU55 but I bet NGC graded it AU58.

Awesome looking Bust Quarter.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58+ due to the high point rub on the eagle's left talon, and other spots. If the coin were slightly better struck, I'd bet they would have graded this a MS61 or 62. Very very close to getting that
    grade imo.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    nice coin ngc ms61
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    "Sweet" pickup stmanimage These are very, very, tough to find this nice for somewhat resonable $. I agree with the majority here that it's high AU and maybe low MS depending on the "Coin God's"image Congrat's
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel terrible for you putting up with such old crusty monitary units. Send it to me, I'll return to you a fresh specimin of similar face value. One that looks much newer than your poor, pathetic piece of ... well let's just say it... it's too old to even consider.image

Very nice, somehow I like busty quarters better than their half dollar relatives (and I like them a lot too!).
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice - 58.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Looks like an AU58 to me. Nice coin. image
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice 53
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU53
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    AU50
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stman,

I had the pleasure of putting a date set of AU58 pieces together in the mid 90's. I did not have the 1823/2 or the 1827.
    I had some NGC and some PCGS. With the experience I had with both services,
    I would say NGC gave it an AU58...........................although I see and AU53 peice and a nice one at that.

Congrats on a nice find
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU-55

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    AU53-55... not quite sure... looks good though, and I love that die crack on the right side coming out of the bust image

BTW... I think stman would approve image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say AU53
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    Looks 50 - 53.....NGC grade -> 55 - 58
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    The grade is...... already know it so I won't cheat. My question is more of an observation. Why do all of the "T"'s on the rev have a big notch in them. DId they have a defective punch? Does it show up in other issues?

It's quite pretty in person.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever the grade, the coin is a truly beautiful and original Bust Quarter, which as STMan mentioned are much scarcer than Bust Halves.
    Beautiful Coin STMan!! Thanks for sharing her with us!! image

Mark: Great detailed observation on the "T" 's they must have had a defective punch that was used to punch all of the "T" 's to create the die...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I'd guess AU-58 or better and I really like the coin!image

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 55-58 from the picture, and an outstnding example at that! image

As far as the grade NGC gave it, could be anywhere from 55 to 63

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice frickin' coin and I will take the easy way out and say AU something.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    That is one pretty 1821 B-4 die state III with all the cracks and clashes. NGC should have given it at least AU 58.image

Thanks stman for waiting so long stating the NGC grade; I missed this thread earlier today.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I grade it "cool" and AU58. I'd be shocked it it graded less than AU55, and a low grade MS grade would not surprise me.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU 50.
    AL
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies and comments. Grade and my comments posted under image at beginning of thread.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Grade and my comments posted under image at beginning of thread. >>

Geeze, now we have to hit yet another key to learn the answersimage

imageimage
  • Options
    Awesome coin!

I gave it an AU58 as it looks like it spent 2 days in circulation...and then about 67,000 days out of circulation. image

Time sure flies when you don't know what you're doing...
    My Web Sites

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file