Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Mac-

That Billy Williams is sweet.

NJMeat, nice Oscar. I just got one back from PSA that I thought would easily get an 8, but no. Anywho, nice card!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Nice cards. I like that Wes and Earl the Pearl.

That Oscar is nice, too. Is there anyone who does not know the connection between Oscar and the movie Hoosiers?
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    More HOFers:

1961 Golden Press Joe Cronin:

Way cool Gabby Harnett business card:

1961 Fleer Ray Schalk, he passed away in 1970:

Bill Terry signed photograph:
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brum
    Very nice! Did you notice that the "Gabby" biz card has c#cktail lounge and sporting goods on the same card! What the heck is that all about? Looks like he may have a sporting goods store inside a small bowling alley? Oh, and if you want...here's a Bud with your catcher's mitt...and now go bowl? Hey, I'm there! image

Perry
    Cool Ruth - did you just pick that up?

Mac
    Nice pickups. I especially like the Thompson!

Twins
    That's a great Oliva card! I like the centering - nice pickup.

eddie
    Who doesn't like the tall boys! Thanx for sharing.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Hey Mike, the term "recreation" covers a lot of ground, know what I mean?

Definitely looks like an interesting operation he had going there.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Mike, the term "recreation" covers a lot of ground, know what I mean?

Definitely looks like an interesting operation he had going there. >>

Sure hope he has a "massage parlor" in there, where they give happy endings! image

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I picked this up from a nonebay auction - I know the guy and the COA dates back to when the Scoreboard had these guys under contract - a photo would be more popular - but the price was right and it is the best outfield in baseball during the 50s!

thanx for viewing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Perry
    Cool Ruth - did you just pick that up? >>

thanks Mike, i got it a couple weeks ago.. not the most attractive card in the world, but it's still the Babe!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    This just in!

My good friend who has an office up the block from me got this in Vegas. No Pete shots, pleaseLOL! To be frank, I value the note and a friend thinking of me far more than the personalized ball from Rose.

Chris, his wife Karen and "the man."

His note to me...

It's always nice to get a surprise.

On that note, I received this in the mail also, it was from Orion
    He was at a shop and thought of me and how I like things round...the thought and time it took to send it to me is priceless and I'm very thankful!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Twinsthreepeat, nice Oliva! 4x SMR is about right, it's one of the toughest in the set.

p_A, any Ruth card is cool!

Mike, cool stuff, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Nice Mike. I couldn't think of anyone else more deserving to receive kind gestures like that. image
  • Options
    GC-
    Thanks,
    That card has pasted me by the last three times I saw one on the bay. It has a pretty high pop (64 8's) why is it so tough? Here is what I'm using it for.
    Tony Oliva Basic Set
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>GC-
    Thanks,
    That card has pasted me by the last three times I saw one on the bay. It has a pretty high pop (64 8's) why is it so tough? Here is what I'm using it for.
    Tony Oliva Basic Set >>

You might want to check your registry set...you've got lots of misplaced pictures. (But you certainly have a nice collection of Alan Page and Rod Carew cards!)
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Ok, let's just acknowledge the 800 lb. gorilla in the living room and get it over with.

Meathook, exactly what kind of crowd are you running with? The Nuge, Fishburn, Johnny Bench... Clearly you're not some stoner working at the Jiffy Lube.

Details, details!
  • Options

<< <i> It has a pretty high pop (64 8's) why is it so tough? >>

Maybe a ton of them were cracked out and the pop is much lower? There are only 2 9's so I bet a lot of high-end 8's have been sent over and over again. I'd imagine a 9 would sell for excess of $1,500. Also I think it's because there are a lot of Oliva and Twins collectors in addition to set builders, and no one wants to sell their card.

Brian
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, let's just acknowledge the 800 lb. gorilla in the living room and get it over with.

Meathook, exactly what kind of crowd are you running with? The Nuge, Fishburn, Johnny Bench... Clearly you're not some stoner working at the Jiffy Lube.

Details, details! >>

·p_A·
  • Options
    AJW,
    Thanks for letting me know. I have changed them.
    Thanks,
    Jason
  • Options
    Nice friend for the Pete Rose Auto ball.
    He was charging $100 for his Autographed ball in Vegas. My friend sent me a picture from his cell phone of Pete and wanted to know if I wanted one, but I passed.
  • Options
    I won this with a very low Buy it Now and then they sent The Braves page for free with the Yankees page. All I could say was Wow!!! Thanks!!!

• Options
    Boopots:

Just in the right place at the right time, I guess.

Nugent in South Dakota pheasant hunting with a friend of mine.

Sister is a cardiologist in LA, and found Fishburne's Christmas card while cleaning out some of her "junk."

Simply ran into Johnny Bench at President Bush's Inaugural Candlelight Dinner in DC.

Have a bunch of that stuff laying around. I'll try to share some more.

Thanks again, Stone, for teaching me to post scans!!
  • Options
    . . . Former stoner, yes.

Never been employed by Jiffy Lube, though.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks again, Stone, for teaching me to post scans!! >>

Your welcome. You seem to be in the right place dude.

Me too! Here we are having a nice party with the president! Say heh to the Prez everyone!

Afterward, he signed stuff for us...I got his auto on a piece of NY cheesecake!

Mike
  • Options
    CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    W looks like Michael Jackson's baby hanging over the edge of the rail.

Hi. Prez.
    Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers
  • Options

<< <i>
    Me too! Here we are having a nice party with the president! Say heh to the Prez everyone!
    >>

Does George bring his own coke? I imagine he's got top notch connections now.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    got should be past tense... he's had

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Same card in same grade sold for almost $4,000 back in late 2004 according to Beckett. Got this for ~15% of that!!!
  • Options
    I believe President Bush was simply levitating.
  • Options
    All seriousness aside, this came today. I didn't even know about this set until a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm becoming obsessed. Know what I mean?

• Options

Guess the grade

I am hoping it will cross to a 9, keeping my fingers crossed. I already cracked it out safe and sound!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    nice clemente njmh...
  • Options
  • Options
    Just rare in any grade.

Kevin
  • Options

• Options
    Nice Ditka zef... I have successfully crossed (after cracking-out of course) a Topps 1968 Ditka SGC 92 into a PSA 9 holder fairly recently.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I'm new to the boards. I've seen lots of wonderful items, so I thought I'd share a few things as well.
    Deceased 1965

Deceased 1952

So far, I have 49/96 1934 Goudeys autographed. These are the only two which are encapsulated.
    If anyone knows of any for sale please LMK.
    Enjoy,
    Mark
  • Options
    Kevin
    Super Bench lid! I collect the 73T lid proofs but those are much nicer!

NJMH

You are a buying machine!!! Very nice stuff!
    Somebody posted one of those Mick auto insurance cards a while back - he must have done a signing session for them. Did you get it off ebay?

congrats guys and thanx for sharing!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Welcome Stan
    Nice Waner auto card!

What else do you collect?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭
    Lordstan, first of all, welcome.

Second of all, SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTT!!!

Your mailman rocks.
  • Options
    This one just in...

Definitely not one of the better ones I have picked up and a lock for a PSA 1 but when it comes to T3s, I'm not going to be too picky unless I win the lottery! image

Thanx for viewing
    mike

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,
    Thanks for the nice words.
    At present, to conserve funds, I have been focusing on the 1934 Goudey set signed. Mastro currently has the NICEST signed Gehrig card I have ever seen. Unfortunately 7 to 8 thousand dollars or so will keep us apart. AAAHHH to dream.
    I collect many types of signed cards mostly non mainstream sets (ie not Topps, Bowman, etc.).
    My other collection is of all things Lou Gehrig. I got into collecting him when I was 14 -15. I think he is/was a true hero. Hence I expanded that collection to the 34 goudeys and then decided to go for the signed set. I figure if you're going to torture yourself, you should do it well. image

Detroit Fan,
    Thanks.
    I had no idea that bribing the mailman was all I had to do to get cards like this in the mail.

Mark
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,
    Thanks for the nice words.
    At present, to conserve funds, I have been focusing on the 1934 Goudey set signed. Mastro currently has the NICEST signed Gehrig card I have ever seen. Unfortunately 7 to 8 thousand dollars or so will keep us apart. AAAHHH to dream.
    I collect many types of signed cards mostly non mainstream sets (ie not Topps, Bowman, etc.).
    My other collection is of all things Lou Gehrig. I got into collecting him when I was 14 -15. I think he is/was a true hero. Hence I expanded that collection to the 34 goudeys and then decided to go for the signed set. I figure if you're going to torture yourself, you should do it well. image

Detroit Fan,
    Thanks.
    I had no idea that bribing the mailman was all I had to do to get cards like this in the mail.

Mark >>

Stan
    I admire your collecting "focus" - I wish I had - I have a closet full of crap to go with the nicer stuff.

Gehrig is a nice collecting area! I would like his auto for my collection also!

Good luck on your set!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike:
    There is something nice about those T-3s. Even the ones in rough shape have clarity and pretty colors. They really are some of the more "artful" pieces in the card world. I know you've got some extremely nice examples stashed away.
    Meathook:
    Those are some outstanding cards there. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    Here's one from me.

• Options
    Stone:

Got the Mick's auto in 1976. Stayed with me ever since! Nice clean auto in blue ballpoint.

My Dad used to have us sit down and write letters to old ball players (hall of famers) and wait for the autographs to arrive in the mail.

Got the addresses from SCD.

I'll post more later.
  • Options
    Here's a few more to whet you're whistle

Enjoy,
    Mark
  • Options
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>
    So far, I have 49/96 1934 Goudeys autographed. These are the only two which are encapsulated.
    If anyone knows of any for sale please LMK.
    Enjoy,
    Mark >>

Ok, that's just amazing. I think I'm most impressed with guys that collect vintage auto'd sets. I can't even imagine how patient you must be in trying to build this set. How often are cards availabe on ebay? I'd guess rarely, but when they are you have to be willing to spend to get them, as who knows when another will be available. Does collecting a set like this change the star/common equation? I could imagine that there are many more 1934 Goudey Lou Gerhig cards autographed than there were Joe Schmo. Of course, the Gehrig would still be worth major bank, but the Schmo will be way harder to find, and diehard set collectors could go crazy for it when it's available.

Mark, I'd love to see more of you cards if you want to share.